User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 115

Thread: Theatre

  1. #1
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    25,060
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 22:26

    Is there anyone who enjoys going to the theatre these days?
    Waffles are checked cookies

  2. #2
    Wayne's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    07 Sep 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    53,601
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 22:28

    Out of interest, how do y'all pronounce Theatre?

    I *hate* it when people pronounce it as "Thee-ate-er".

    I haven't been to see anything in years - would love to see either Priscilla or Lion King live though!

  3. #3
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    25,060
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 22:36

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    I *hate* it when people pronounce it as "Thee-ate-er".
    Mine is "Thee-ee-ter'' (that's the russian accent for you)

    I am going to the local Drama theatre sometimes (featuring some of the most obscure actors in the world ).
    Waffles are checked cookies

  4. #4
    MusicRecords's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 Feb 2012
    Location
    New York City & Vienna
    Posts
    13,945
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 22:55

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    I *hate* it when people pronounce it as "Thee-ate-er".
    Mine is "Thee-ee-ter'' (that's the russian accent for you)

    I am going to the local Drama theatre sometimes (featuring some of the most obscure actors in the world ).
    wait you're Russian?


    What I dont like is how people spell it either theater or theatre
    Follow Me On Instagram

    The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

    #KING

  5. #5
    DnBLover's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    21 Dec 2009
    Location
    PT-NO
    Posts
    14,618
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 22:57

    I went yesterday, it was hilarious.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

  6. #6
    MusicRecords's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 Feb 2012
    Location
    New York City & Vienna
    Posts
    13,945
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 22:59

    Wait did you mean a movie theater or like a drama kind of live thing?
    Follow Me On Instagram

    The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

    #KING

  7. #7
    DnBLover's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    21 Dec 2009
    Location
    PT-NO
    Posts
    14,618
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 23:03

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords
    Wait did you mean a movie theater or like a drama kind of live thing?
    Live theatre.

    It was a really out of the box play whose theme was love. As if the actors were confessing their own personal experiences and issues.. By the middle of the play though it was just about sex, all kinds of sex. And it was so good, really innovative, fresh and overall hilarious.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

  8. #8
    MusicRecords's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 Feb 2012
    Location
    New York City & Vienna
    Posts
    13,945
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 23:08

    Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords
    Wait did you mean a movie theater or like a drama kind of live thing?
    Live theatre.

    It was a really out of the box play whose theme was love. As if the actors were confessing their own personal experiences and issues.. By the middle of the play though it was just about sex, all kinds of sex. And it was so good, really innovative, fresh and overall hilarious.
    Sounds interesting!

    I still remember my first off the beaten path off-off-Broadway play I went to see....there was only like 50 people in the room but the play was nicely produced, and I was so shocked when the actos had a sex scene and literally got butt naked
    Follow Me On Instagram

    The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

    #KING

  9. #9
    DnBLover's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    21 Dec 2009
    Location
    PT-NO
    Posts
    14,618
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 23:10

    Yes this was an intimate setting too, which is the only way these kinds of plays work, imo. I much prefer them to big productions on huge theatres, those are most definitely not my thing.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

  10. #10
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 23:11

    One of my favourite places in the world to be (after my bed). I try and go as much as I can but itís bloody expensive.

  11. #11
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    25,060
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 23:12

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    I *hate* it when people pronounce it as "Thee-ate-er".
    Mine is "Thee-ee-ter'' (that's the russian accent for you)

    I am going to the local Drama theatre sometimes (featuring some of the most obscure actors in the world ).
    wait you're Russian?
    I am from Belarus, but I do speak Russian mostly during the day
    Waffles are checked cookies

  12. #12
    MusicRecords's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 Feb 2012
    Location
    New York City & Vienna
    Posts
    13,945
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 10-12-17, 23:13

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    I *hate* it when people pronounce it as "Thee-ate-er".
    Mine is "Thee-ee-ter'' (that's the russian accent for you)

    I am going to the local Drama theatre sometimes (featuring some of the most obscure actors in the world ).
    wait you're Russian?
    I am from Belarus, but I do speak Russian mostly during the day
    oh cool! ive always wanted to learn Russian and might take a course after I master German
    Follow Me On Instagram

    The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

    #KING

  13. #13
    menime123's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 May 2005
    Posts
    15,906
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 00:05

    I adore it. I go and see something almost every week on the west end. Luckily I live in London

    This weekís adventure was a trip to see Hamilton. Itís very, very good, but incredibly overhyped at the same time. Still, Iím enjoying listening to the cast recording (I donít listen before I see a show).

    Out of curiosity, does anyone listen to cast recordings? A lot of musicals are written as pop songs nowadays, and I find a lot of good pop music this way now.

    Last year was an amazing year in British theatre - my favourite moments were attending the very first preview of Harry Potter and The Cursed Child and seeing Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard. 2017 has been relatively quiet in comparison imo, but 2018 looks amazing so far.

    My all time favourite shows are Wicked (musical), which Iíve seen nearly 40 times, and The Rise and Fall of Little Voice (play). Very close seconds are Book of Mormon (musical) and Harry Potter (which Iíve seen 8 times in 18 months).
    NO MEN IN ME.

  14. #14
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    25,060
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 10:41

    There is some sort of a theatre scene here in Belarus, we have Opera theatre, National Drama Theatre and Republican Theatre of Belarusian Drama.
    Our drama is less post-modern and more classical,The plays of Chekhov and Tolstoy are featured primarily (The Power Of Darkness).
    Waffles are checked cookies

  15. #15
    menime123's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 May 2005
    Posts
    15,906
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 13:52

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    There is some sort of a theatre scene here in Belarus, we have Opera theatre, National Drama Theatre and Republican Theatre of Belarusian Drama.
    Our drama is less post-modern and more classical,The plays of Chekhov and Tolstoy are featured primarily (The Power Of Darkness).
    We get those in London often too. Uncle Vanya never goes out of style!
    NO MEN IN ME.

  16. #16
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    25,060
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 15:31

    Quote Originally Posted by menime123
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    There is some sort of a theatre scene here in Belarus, we have Opera theatre, National Drama Theatre and Republican Theatre of Belarusian Drama.
    Our drama is less post-modern and more classical,The plays of Chekhov and Tolstoy are featured primarily (The Power Of Darkness).
    We get those in London often too. Uncle Vanya never goes out of style!
    Yes, the longevity of those plays is pretty impressive.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  17. #17
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 20:30

    Quote Originally Posted by menime123
    I adore it. I go and see something almost every week on the west end. Luckily I live in London

    This weekís adventure was a trip to see Hamilton. Itís very, very good, but incredibly overhyped at the same time. Still, Iím enjoying listening to the cast recording (I donít listen before I see a show).

    Out of curiosity, does anyone listen to cast recordings? A lot of musicals are written as pop songs nowadays, and I find a lot of good pop music this way now.

    Last year was an amazing year in British theatre - my favourite moments were attending the very first preview of Harry Potter and The Cursed Child and seeing Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard. 2017 has been relatively quiet in comparison imo, but 2018 looks amazing so far.

    My all time favourite shows are Wicked (musical), which Iíve seen nearly 40 times, and The Rise and Fall of Little Voice (play). Very close seconds are Book of Mormon (musical) and Harry Potter (which Iíve seen 8 times in 18 months).
    And I thought Iíd seen Wicked a lot (8 times). If I had the money Iíd go more often. Iíd love to see Hamilton but I think itís much more geared toward Americans. When I go to the US next year Iím hoping to see Dear Evan Hansen.

    Book Of Mormon was amazing. My favourite musical comedy since Avenue Q.

    I canít wait to see Company next year. Itís my favourite musical (Iíve watch stage renditions but never seen it live) and Patti LuPone is in it!

  18. #18
    menime123's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 May 2005
    Posts
    15,906
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 20:51

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    Quote Originally Posted by menime123
    I adore it. I go and see something almost every week on the west end. Luckily I live in London

    This weekís adventure was a trip to see Hamilton. Itís very, very good, but incredibly overhyped at the same time. Still, Iím enjoying listening to the cast recording (I donít listen before I see a show).

    Out of curiosity, does anyone listen to cast recordings? A lot of musicals are written as pop songs nowadays, and I find a lot of good pop music this way now.

    Last year was an amazing year in British theatre - my favourite moments were attending the very first preview of Harry Potter and The Cursed Child and seeing Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard. 2017 has been relatively quiet in comparison imo, but 2018 looks amazing so far.

    My all time favourite shows are Wicked (musical), which Iíve seen nearly 40 times, and The Rise and Fall of Little Voice (play). Very close seconds are Book of Mormon (musical) and Harry Potter (which Iíve seen 8 times in 18 months).
    And I thought Iíd seen Wicked a lot (8 times). If I had the money Iíd go more often. Iíd love to see Hamilton but I think itís much more geared toward Americans. When I go to the US next year Iím hoping to see Dear Evan Hansen.

    Book Of Mormon was amazing. My favourite musical comedy since Avenue Q.

    I canít wait to see Company next year. Itís my favourite musical (Iíve watch stage renditions but never seen it live) and Patti LuPone is in it!
    Iím all booked for Company - cannot wait to see Patti in a show. I caught her one woman show a years ago which was fun (the piano broke, had to carried out through the audience) but to see her doing what she does is a huge deal for me.

    Iím a huge Wicked fan - my dream is to go once a month for a whole year, but I cannot quite bring myself to do it (I tried and managed 3 consecutive months).

    Iíve been listening to the cast album of Dear Evan Hansen and by god itís something else. My rule is to avoid all cast recording before seeing a show, but in October I slipped up and in my need for something new, decided to give this a go. I listened to it twice then had to google a bootleg. Itís rumoured to be coming to the UK next year, so Iím praying Ben Platt can be tempted back for a short stint.

    Other cast recordings I discovered were Hello Dolly (I canít get it out of my head), Sunday In The Park With George (Jake Gylenhaal makes my heart melt singing Finishing The Hat) but my favourite recent discover is Come From Aways - itís a 1 act music sung over 1 hour and tells the true story of planes grounded in Canada (with 7000 passengers) on 9/11. I listened to it during my lunch hour solid for a whole month.

    So Iím desperate for those 3 to come to London next year too

    Iíve a few shows booked for 2018 actually, but can I hell remember what they are aside from Company. I know I want to see The Woman In White revival, the Hair revival and I know Iím booked to see Captain Sexy Poldark in something at some point too
    NO MEN IN ME.

  19. #19
    menime123's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 May 2005
    Posts
    15,906
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 20:52

    Iím telling ya, JT needs to watch out <3

    NO MEN IN ME.

  20. #20
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 21:07

    Jake Gyllenhall sounded amazing in Sunday In The Park With George, nearly as good as Mandy Patinkin. Iíve always had a strange relationship with that musical, the second act kinda throws me but I adore the soundtrack. Sunday (the song) is one of the best theatre songs ever created. Check out the BBC Proms version (with EastEndersí Jenna Russell) and I get tears at the climax of that.

    Other than that, I adore Sondheim. Some of he music he creates is just incomparable. Into The Woods is another one of my favourites. I quite like the film version but it wasnít executed as well as Iíd hoped.

    Ben Platt is brilliant, it seems like the role was almost created for him. I also adore Laura Dreyfus (plays Zoe) from Glee, great to see her do well.

    People ask me if I get bored of seeing Wicked and I really donít. I cry every single time I see it. The theatre really lights up during that production, more than any other musical Iíve seen.

  21. #21
    menime123's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 May 2005
    Posts
    15,906
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 21:08

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    My favourite musical comedy since Avenue Q.
    So you know what everyone is, and what the internet is for then
    NO MEN IN ME.

  22. #22
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 21:12

    Quote Originally Posted by menime123
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    My favourite musical comedy since Avenue Q.
    So you know what everyone is, and what the internet is for then
    Yes they are and yes it is. I also have a B.A. in English and have been wondering what to do with it.

  23. #23
    menime123's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 May 2005
    Posts
    15,906
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 21:17

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    Jake Gyllenhall sounded amazing in Sunday In The Park With George, nearly as good as Mandy Patinkin. Iíve always had a strange relationship with that musical, the second act kinda throws me but I adore the soundtrack. Sunday (the song) is one of the best theatre songs ever created. Check out the BBC Proms version (with EastEndersí Jenna Russell) and I get tears at the climax of that.

    Other than that, I adore Sondheim. Some of he music he creates is just incomparable. Into The Woods is another one of my favourites. I quite like the film version but it wasnít executed as well as Iíd hoped.

    Ben Platt is brilliant, it seems like the role was almost created for him. I also adore Laura Dreyfus (plays Zoe) from Glee, great to see her do well.

    People ask me if I get bored of seeing Wicked and I really donít. I cry every single time I see it. The theatre really lights up during that production, more than any other musical Iíve seen.
    With Wicked, Iím the tiniest bit bored simply because I could act the damn thing (if only I could sing it...). Iíve seen it once this year, so Iíve had a relative good break from it

    I have a strange relationship with Sondheim. Sometimes I think heís absolutely brilliant and a genius (Gypsy, Sweeney, Sunday), but I hated Merrily We Roll Along (which had Jenna Russell in it), disliked Into The Woods (based on film though - too repetitive) and was rather indifferent to Roadshow and the recent Follies revival (gorgeous production though and very happy to see ĎIím Still Hereí in context as itís one of my favourite theatre songs).

    So I donít know what to expect from Company - but I do love The Ladies Who Lunch. How I wish Iíd been able to see Elaine Stritch perform it. But I agree, Sunday is an amazing song. I saw a video once where Sondheim was almost in tears hearing it performed - very moving. When he gets it right, he gets it right.
    NO MEN IN ME.

  24. #24
    menime123's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 May 2005
    Posts
    15,906
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 21:18

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    Quote Originally Posted by menime123
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    My favourite musical comedy since Avenue Q.
    So you know what everyone is, and what the internet is for then
    Yes they are and yes it is. I also have a B.A. in English and have been wondering what to do with it.
    Whatever you do, donít mix it with cabaret sluts
    NO MEN IN ME.

  25. #25
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by Ľ 11-12-17, 21:24

    The full stage production of Into The Woods (with Bernadette Peters) is on YouTube, I advise watching it. I understand why you think itís repetitive. I mean m, how many times can they say ďinto the WoodsĒ in one musical.

    Iím Still Here is brilliant as a song, Iíve only heard it in Glee though but itís brilliant. Iíll happily just watch YouTube clips of Sondheim songs being performed by the likes of Peters and LuPone. Audra McDonald does a great rendition of The Glamorous Life too.

    Though I love Ladies Who Lunch, I canít wait to see Getting Married Today live, such a tricky patter song to song.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •