Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 255

Thread: JakeP Top 100 of 2017

  1. #51
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    27,463
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 4th, 2018, 22:57

    ^I have only good words for ''Brother''
    A spledid music video which does a lot to lift the song and transcend the message way beyond the audio contents.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  2. #52
    Bellus's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    07 Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,222
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 4th, 2018, 23:03

    88. Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be

    Love me some Babe Rexha! Glad to see this pop up. I actually had no idea who sung this song, but I heard it so much on the radio (maybe why I like it, as it was played non-stop haha).

    The whole 'maybe we do, maybe we dont' sections are bliss.

    Sam Smith - Has a good voice, but don't like any of his music.

    Justin - Not a fan either. Some of his songs are quite catchy, and I'm guilty for loving Beauty and the Beat........but I just can't get over his personality, and how blah it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerPeur
    Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    So does her microphone

  3. #53
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 4th, 2018, 23:08

    84. Machine Gun Kelly & Camila Cabello - Bad things


    It was in the final week of 2016 when Machine Gun Kelly's breakthrough single Bad things entered my chart. Going into 2017 the track rocketed up to #4 where the song peaked. Then of course there's Camila Cabello who featured on the track. I'm pretty sure nobody in January 2017 would've predicted that Camila would end up going on to have such a spectacular year. As for Machine Gun Kelly, Bad things remains his only successful hit in my chart. Well, At my best was a short lived moderate chart entry so doesn't quite compare.


  4. #54
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 4th, 2018, 23:13

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    ^I have only good words for ''Brother''
    A spledid music video which does a lot to lift the song and transcend the message way beyond the audio contents.
    I agree 100% with you. For me, Brother is exactly what makes an excellent music video. Having a gorgeous song obviously helps too. I'm curious to see if Kodaline release another new single before the next album is released.

  5. #55
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    27,463
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 4th, 2018, 23:17

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeP
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    ^I have only good words for ''Brother''
    A spledid music video which does a lot to lift the song and transcend the message way beyond the audio contents.
    I agree 100% with you. For me, Brother is exactly what makes an excellent music video. Having a gorgeous song obviously helps too. I'm curious to see if Kodaline release another new single before the next album is released.
    I am perplexed because I only just discovered Brother failed to get even in the top 100 in the UK. Oh, how the times have changed since 2015 for the charts.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  6. #56
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 4th, 2018, 23:28

    Quote Originally Posted by SummerPeur
    88. Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be

    Love me some Babe Rexha! Glad to see this pop up. I actually had no idea who sung this song, but I heard it so much on the radio (maybe why I like it, as it was played non-stop haha).

    The whole 'maybe we do, maybe we dont' sections are bliss.

    Sam Smith - Has a good voice, but don't like any of his music.

    Justin - Not a fan either. Some of his songs are quite catchy, and I'm guilty for loving Beauty and the Beat........but I just can't get over his personality, and how blah it is.
    I'm here to educate. Haha i try to reduce how much i listen to radio because if i heard a song i liked over and over and over i'm sure i would eventually get bored of the song.

    I do like the occasional song from Sam Smith but i don't think i could listen his album from beginning to end. A couple of songs mixed with other artists music would be more suitable. His best song imo is still Omen, the track he did with Disclosure.

    It's catch 22 with Justin Bieber. He does have an attitude problem, the downside to being a child star are having an entourage from a young age telling him how great he is. But on the flip side, i have liked some of the songs he's featured on throughout 2017.

  7. #57
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 4th, 2018, 23:31

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    I am perplexed because I only just discovered Brother failed to get even in the top 100 in the UK. Oh, how the times have changed since 2015 for the charts.
    LOL don't pay too much attention to the UK charts. Spotify has made the charts a very boring joke sadly. I wouldn't even know where Brother peaked but that's the beauty of personal charts. We get to right a wrong. To be honest, Kodaline might've fared similarly in 2015. :(

  8. #58
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    27,463
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 4th, 2018, 23:42

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeP
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    I am perplexed because I only just discovered Brother failed to get even in the top 100 in the UK. Oh, how the times have changed since 2015 for the charts.
    LOL don't pay too much attention to the UK charts. Spotify has made the charts a very boring joke sadly. I wouldn't even know where Brother peaked but that's the beauty of personal charts. We get to right a wrong. To be honest, Kodaline might've fared similarly in 2015. :(
    ''The One'' peaked at #27 and went silver in the UK, so it was some sort of success.
    Charts kinda matter for the outreach and playlisting.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  9. #59
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Thu January 4th, 2018, 23:56

    83. Salvador Sobral - Amar pelos dois


    It's time for Portugal. The Man!!!

    It only took Portugal 53 years but they finally claimed their first victory after winning the Eurovision song contest 2017 in extraordinary style. Ever since the first time i heard Amar pelos dois, there was something about the song that made me fall in love with the song. The gorgeous strings melody that introduces the song is so classy, and has such a wonderful melody. It was only around the time of the contest that i discovered that Amar pelos dois was written by Salvador's sister Luisa.

    Due to health issues, Luisa took her brother's place in the early stages of sound checks and rehearsals. When Salvador arrived in Ukraine, he was treated like a superstar. All this and he hadn't even sung a single note on live tv yet.

    His original performance at the Festival da canção remains one of the most fascinating to watch. Perhaps it was the after effects of anaesthetic that actually helped in the long run. The quirky head movements during the performance sure made an impact. Initially i thought it was all part of his act until i read about his operation.

    Of course a winner like this was never going to please everyone but for me, Portugal deserved the win. It was a million times better than that wailing mess that won twelve months earlier. :evil:


  10. #60
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    27,463
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

    by » Fri January 5th, 2018, 00:00

    ^I actually have Salvador in my Bubbling Under section...but with a live performance of "Ready for love again'' where he just loves the wailing (which is the obligation for every trained jazz vocalist).
    Waffles are checked cookies

  11. #61
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Fri January 5th, 2018, 00:07

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    "The One'' peaked at #27 and went silver in the UK, so it was some sort of success.
    Charts kinda matter for the outreach and playlisting.
    Mind you The one made the charts before Spotify became stratospheric with its stranglehold over the charts.

    I do question the relevance of radio playlists. Half the time stations like Radio 1 will end up supporting the same songs that Spotify are pushing. Then other times radio stations playlist songs that just don't resonate with their listeners.

    It's a shame that Brother went pretty much unnoticed in the UK. :(

  12. #62
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    27,463
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

    by » Fri January 5th, 2018, 00:11

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeP
    I do question the relevance of radio playlists. Half the time stations like Radio 1 will end up supporting the same songs that Spotify are pushing.
    It's like two wings of the same person. Left one is the radio playlists which are now more diverse (madness, isn't it) than supposedly *free and uncensored* Spotify playlists which are the Right wing of media marketing.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  13. #63
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Fri January 5th, 2018, 18:59

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    ^I actually have Salvador in my Bubbling Under section...but with a live performance of "Ready for love again'' where he just loves the wailing (which is the obligation for every trained jazz vocalist).
    Ahh i spotted that one and checked it out. It wasn't really to my tastes though - too long for starters and jazz isn't really a genre i choose to listen to. That said, the performance showcases Salvador's vocals amazingly well.

  14. #64
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Fri January 5th, 2018, 19:01

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    It's like two wings of the same person. Left one is the radio playlists which are now more diverse (madness, isn't it) than supposedly *free and uncensored* Spotify playlists which are the Right wing of media marketing.
    Well, radio playlists might be diverse but it sure doesn't reflect in the charts. Spotify is just a sham and i've continued to avoid signing up to the service.

  15. #65
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    27,463
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

    by » Fri January 5th, 2018, 19:03

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeP
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    ^I actually have Salvador in my Bubbling Under section...but with a live performance of "Ready for love again'' where he just loves the wailing (which is the obligation for every trained jazz vocalist).
    Ahh i spotted that one and checked it out. It wasn't really to my tastes though - too long for starters and jazz isn't really a genre i choose to listen to. That said, the performance showcases Salvador's vocals amazingly well.
    In a way, Luisa and ''Amar Pelos Dois'' saved Salvador's life because after the win he was moved up the queue for the heart transplant. Life works in mysterious ways, but I am very glad this happened.
    Luisa is an amazing songwriter and my favourite version of ''Amar Pelos Dois'' is their brother-sister duet as a victory lap of honour (done twice, once in Portugal's national selection and once in Kyiv).
    Waffles are checked cookies

  16. #66
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Fri January 5th, 2018, 19:13

    82. Harry Styles - Sign of the times


    It was surely inevitable that Harry Styles' debut solo single would be a surefire #1 single, regardless of what the song would sound like. However, i don't think anybody expected a song quite like Sign of the times.

    There's an unmistakeable influence from early David Bowie and The Beatles throughout the whole song. The whole 5 and a half minutes of it!!! Kudos to Harry for not chasing trends and instead opted for a sound that was admittedly very refreshing amongst the onslaught of tropical pop that was dominating the charts.

    When Harry released his self titled debut album, i checked out the previews on iTunes and very few of the tracks resonated with me. Still, i enjoyed Sign of the times and the song reached #5 in my chart in April.


  17. #67
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Fri January 5th, 2018, 19:15

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    In a way, Luisa and ''Amar Pelos Dois'' saved Salvador's life because after the win he was moved up the queue for the heart transplant. Life works in mysterious ways, but I am very glad this happened.
    Luisa is an amazing songwriter and my favourite version of ''Amar Pelos Dois'' is their brother-sister duet as a victory lap of honour (done twice, once in Portugal's national selection and once in Kyiv).
    That is indeed very true, its almost like it was fate that Salvador got this opportunity, and now he's reaping the rewards.

    Aww, i loved their duet after winning eurovision. It was such a heartwarming moment.

  18. #68
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Fri January 5th, 2018, 20:14

    81. Ben Delay - I never felt so right


    Time to increase the tempo for my #81 single of 2017.

    Every so often i tend to check out other countries iTunes' charts in search of potential FSC entries and I stumbled across Ben Delay's track I never felt so right on Russia's iTunes chart. Out of pure curiosity i decided to check out the song on YouTube and on first listen i found myself bopping along in my chair.

    After doing a bit of research i discovered that Ben Delay hailed from Germany and so back in February i successfully entered this track into the FSC. The track itself didn't do particularly well in the contest but that didn't stop Ben Delay from peaking at #4 in my chart.


  19. #69
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Fri January 5th, 2018, 20:28

    80. Alessia Cara - How far i'll go


    Alessia Cara got off to a promising start in January 2017. It all started with the #8 hit Scars to your beautiful which i discovered via a number of 2016 year end charts. Then along came How far i'll go in late January which went on to even greater success and eventually peaked at #6.

    2017 ended up being a pretty successful year for Alessia Cara. Whist her Zedd collaboration Stay reached my top 10 it was rather short lived. However, it would be in the autumn when Alessia found herself sitting pretty at #1 in my chart thanks to Logic.


  20. #70
    luckyONE's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    07 Feb 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8,737
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

    by » Sat January 6th, 2018, 09:58

    love the tracks by P!nk, Kelly Clarkson and Coldplay.

    I was listening to my 2017 albums on shuffle about 2 weeks ago and "Hypnotised" was on. I had already forgotten about the way the song sounds like, so when it came on i was like "what song is this again?" until Chris Martin starts singing. I really love this song now. SO beautiful!

    cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

  21. #71
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Sat January 6th, 2018, 16:27

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    love the tracks by P!nk, Kelly Clarkson and Coldplay.

    I was listening to my 2017 albums on shuffle about 2 weeks ago and "Hypnotised" was on. I had already forgotten about the way the song sounds like, so when it came on i was like "what song is this again?" until Chris Martin starts singing. I really love this song now. SO beautiful!
    Hypnotised is so lush, i adore Chris Martin's ability to compose such beautiful melodies. It's one of the reasons why i love Coldplay so much. <3

  22. #72
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Sat January 6th, 2018, 16:41

    79. Little Mix - Touch


    By the first week of 2017 Touch had already enjoyed spending two non consecutive weeks at #1 following the release of Glory days. The song remained in my chart for a couple more weeks when Little Mix released the official music video for Touch.

    In true JakeP style, the song received a nice little boost back into the top 5 thanks to the music video effect. The video itself wasn't quite what i expected for a song like this. I'm not entirely sure what i expected but the end result was a very colourful affair with some additional adjustments to make the girls look more slender. Just look at those slightly wobbly lines in the background where the photoshopping effects were applied.

    Even though Touch had most of its impact in December 2016 its remained as a solid gold pop gem and one of my absolute favourite tracks from Glory days. <3


  23. #73
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Sat January 6th, 2018, 17:02

    78. Julia Michaels - Issues


    At the start of 2017, one song that was on the verge of becoming an international smash was Issues by Julia Michaels. I first came across the track on Spotify's chart and, because i didn't recognise the song, i decided to check it out on YouTube.

    Issues is such an understated pop song, i adore the way the track was producted with minimal effect. A classic case of less is more in this instance. After becoming a successful songwriter for other artists, Issues allowed Julia to take centre stage for a change. Whilst Issues got to #6 in my chart it ended up becoming one of the longest running singles in my chart spending 9 weeks inside the top 20.


  24. #74
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Sat January 6th, 2018, 17:24

    77. Miley Cyrus - Younger know


    Coming off the back of the incredibly successful Bangerz era in 2013, Miley Cyrus made a triumphant return to my chart in 2017. After making a spectacular comeback with the #1 hit Malibu, Miley scored a #3 hit when Younger now was released in August.

    Younger now continued nicely with the country influences clearly evident in this gorgeous pop ballad. The music video is truly adorable, guaranteed to make me smile whenever i watch the clip. I love the puppet show scenes, the carnival theme and the 60s throwback with the Grease-esque showstopper towards the end of the video. Such a shame the song itself failed to generate much interest leading to a lack of worldwide chart success. :(


  25. #75
    JakeP's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

    by » Sat January 6th, 2018, 17:41

    76. Kesha - This is me


    Kesha's second appearance is the newest song to appear in my top 100 of 2017. This is me entered at #2 in my final chart of 2017 last weekend and lands at #76 here. I've been hearing rave reviews about The greatest showman and having checked out the film trailer recently, i'm considering going to see this at the cinema as it looks amazing.

    Whilst i love Kesha's version of This is me, it's the original performance from Keala Settle that looks destined to become a big chart hit especially here in the UK over the coming weeks.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •