Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Little Lies

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 12th, 2018, 01:06

Anyone else watch this? I'd been meaning to catch it for ages, and thankfully it was much easier to find it in 1080 after the awards sweep.

Ended up binge watching the series in a couple of days, which was easy since there are only 7 episodes. I'm completely hooked. The characterisation and cinematography are impressive, while the backdrop of Monterey makes for powerful scenery that adds to the drama of the show.

All of the leads and supporting actors are incredible in this.

Ps five year old Chloe is easily the best character in the show. She knows herself so well and has most of the best one-liners. Funny that she's probably the voice of reason within the show too.

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 12th, 2018, 01:22

I loved this and so glad it’s getting the awards this season. Very happy to hear a second season is in the works too.

Just an FYI really, but Reese Wetherspoon is amazing with what she’s achieved recently. Back in 2012 she set up a production company to produce content that focused on stories about women, lead by strong women. This was in response to the fact there still isn’t many roles for women once they get to a certain age.

Since she setup the company they have made 3 productions: Gone Girl, Wild and now Big Little Lies, all of which have been nominated for Oscars and Golden Globes, all of which she produced (and starred in 2).

Reese and her productions are absolutely ones to watch out for in the future based on their current track record. In fact it’s probably the most exciting production company to watch out for, alongside Plan B productions (Brad Pitt’s company), which has produced some exciting content over the last 15 years (including 3 Oscars for ‘Best Picture’ - The Departed, 12 Years a Slave and Moonlight.
    SLOW DOWN PAPI... NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 12th, 2018, 09:10

I loved Wild. It feels weird that Laura Dern played her Mum in that, and Shailene’s Mum in Fault In Our Stars.

I can’t bleieve there wasn’t already a thread for this. What a fantastic show it was, perfect season. All the cast are phenomenal, not a single bad link. I found the whodunnit (as in, who raped Jane) predictable but loved the reveal and the conclusion. 5 strong women coming together, it was wrought with emotion and power.

I don’t know what to make of a second series - they’ve certainly got a lot to live up to.

Legend
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 12th, 2018, 10:38

This was one of my favourite shows of last year, even though I figured out the rapist early on it didn't stop the reveal and aftermath being amazing. Loved Nicole Kidman's character and Laura Dern's performance.

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 12th, 2018, 15:08

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    This was one of my favourite shows of last year, even though I figured out the rapist early on it didn't stop the reveal and aftermath being amazing. Loved Nicole Kidman's character and Laura Dern's performance.la
    I mean, Laura Dern is just so fabulous in everything she does but this was great.

I mentioned it in the awards thread but I feel like Shailene Woodley doesn’t get enough credit for her performance in this, she’s outstanding.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 12th, 2018, 16:42

Love this! I binge watched this one weekend last year. It's so addictive. The performance from everyone are just outstanding, including the kids! Chloe and her music taste though!

The dialogue is cutting and funny. I love Reese's character yelling "get f*cked" at people! Also, this was brilliantly shot and the editing is superb. The ocean scenes are just calming.

I love that the most important scene had no dialogue. It gave more emphasis on their emotions. It is probably one of my favourite scenes on a TV series ever, I must have watched that part like 10 times!

Manager
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 12th, 2018, 20:57

I adored the first season. So so good. I love Reese so so. Much
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed January 24th, 2018, 23:42

I've just started watching this and just finished second episode, great series.

And now a major news, Meryl Streep joined the cast of Big Little Lies for Season 2.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed January 24th, 2018, 23:44

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy

And now a major news, Meryl Streep joined the cast of Big Little Lies for Season 2.
    I'm envisaging the Golden Globe and Emmy nominations that she'll receive now, purely for being Meryl Streep. She'll be playing Alexander Skaarsgaard's character's mother.

Manager
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu January 25th, 2018, 21:32

Omg. I'm actually dead at the thought!!!
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu January 25th, 2018, 21:38

Quote Originally Posted by menime123
    Just an FYI really, but Reese Wetherspoon is amazing with what she’s achieved recently. Back in 2012 she set up a production company to produce content that focused on stories about women, lead by strong women. This was in response to the fact there still isn’t many roles for women once they get to a certain age.

Since she setup the company they have made 3 productions: Gone Girl, Wild and now Big Little Lies, all of which have been nominated for Oscars and Golden Globes, all of which she produced (and starred in 2).
    I didn't realise this, amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by xtofer
    The dialogue is cutting and funny. I love Reese's character yelling "get f*cked" at people!
    This x1000

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan

I'm envisaging the Golden Globe and Emmy nominations that she'll receive now, purely for being Meryl Streep. She'll be playing Alexander Skaarsgaard's character's mother.
    The Meryl Streep? Insanity.

Legend
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu January 25th, 2018, 21:39

I don't think that Nicole Kidman's performance was that outstanding to be honest.
    Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley and Reese Witherspoon were better IMO. At least Dern got the rightful recognition in terms of awards.

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu January 25th, 2018, 21:43

Quote Originally Posted by Benny
    I don't think that Nicole Kidman's performance was that outstanding to be honest.
    Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley and Reese Witherspoon were better IMO. At least Dern got the rightful recognition in terms of awards.
    Woah, I should move this to Unpopular Opinions thread.

I thought Kidman was fantastic. I actually felt Reese was a bit overrated in this. I'd have ranked their performances:
    1. Dern
    2. Kidman
    3. Woodley
    4. Witherspoon

But they were all fantastic in their own rights. I hope Zoe Kravitz gets some meatier material next season, she was rather under-utilized here.

Legend
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu January 25th, 2018, 21:44

Quote Originally Posted by Benny
    Woah, I should move this to Unpopular Opinions thread.
    Yes, probably!

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu January 25th, 2018, 21:49

I hope Zoe Kravitz gets some meatier material next season, she was rather under-utilized here.
    Definitely. I think the conclusion of season 1 will result in her getting a lot more screen-time.

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu January 25th, 2018, 21:50

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmusik
    I hope Zoe Kravitz gets some meatier material next season, she was rather under-utilized here.
    Definitely. I think the conclusion of season 1 will result in her getting a lot more screen-time.
    I hope so. I just wish they don’t try to cram too much into this season with too many characters.

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed January 31st, 2018, 16:14

Finished first season. Great cast, great storytelling and amazing scenery.

Wish we had seen "more" of Skargard if you know what i mean

I hope Madeline and Joseph re-ignite their affair in Season 2, i'm sure his wife Tori is a psychopath underneath that housewife appearance.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed January 31st, 2018, 17:23

I hope Madeline and Joseph re-ignite their affair in Season 2, i'm sure his wife Tori is a psychopath underneath that housewife appearance.
    More? Just watch True Blood and you get the full view

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed January 31st, 2018, 19:02

Quote Originally Posted by menime123

More? Just watch True Blood and you get the full view
    Not the prosthetic view you get in this show. Plus you have some other very nice looking men in True Blood.

Legend
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun August 26th, 2018, 19:40

I watched the pilot ages ago, and thought it was rather boring.

I picked it up again late last night, and just finished the season finale a few minutes ago. What a brilliant show! I didn't see the Jane/Perry connection coming, or the Max revelation, or...a number of reveals really! Great acting, powerful storylines, quality editing, just a fantastic show all 'round.
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Akini's Top 100 Drag Race Queens: [15-11]

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun August 26th, 2018, 22:37

I thought the Jane/Perry connection was almost too obvious personally. But it was a fantastic season. I’m dreading the next one, I just can’t see how it’ll live up to the first season.

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun August 26th, 2018, 23:30

I thought the Jane/Perry connection was almost too obvious personally. But it was a fantastic season. I’m dreading the next one, I just can’t see how it’ll live up to the first season.
    Well, Meryl Streep joining is a fairly good indicator of quality imo, but I hear what you’re saying. The amount of talent though is unreal. But I trust Reese to pull it out the bag.

Legend
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun August 26th, 2018, 23:49

I'm sure Meryl will be fantastic but I think they had a strong enough cast to not need her personally. Too many stars and some won't shine as bright.

Legend
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 18:18

New teaser for season 2, which will premiere on 9 June:

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:01

Great news. This will be a great summer for series lovers.
    Cha Cha Instructor