User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68

Thread: Living in a foreign country

  1. #1
    nekoocz's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    12 Jun 2007
    Location
    London now
    Posts
    13,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 20-02-18, 07:39

    For those of you who are living in foreign country, lets talk about:
    What made you move?
    What were your first steps?
    How do you like to live and speak different language (if you speak different language)?
    Looking back, would you do it again?

    I am curious about different experiences you may have.
    nekoo.cz - follow me

  2. #2
    RayRay's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,435
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 12-03-18, 20:17

    This is something biscuits and MusicRecords can talk about too.

    I lived in different countries when I was a child/teenager. So that was all down to my parents.
    As an adult I studied in the UK for a few months.
    And two years ago I got a job in a different country, but I decided not to do it, last minute.

    My husband lives in a foreign country though. He is originally from the UK.
    He wanted to discover Europe, so that's why he came here. For holiday actually.
    But then he was asked by a friend to help out (job in a hotel) and he and his then-partner bought a house.
    It took him some time to learn Dutch. He is quite good at it though.
    When we first met we talked about moving to the UK.
    But he doesn't want to move back anymore.
    My personal chart Ariana Grande | breakup with your girlfriend at #1 - Click here

  3. #3
    Superstar
    Join Date
    25 Mar 2005
    Location
    Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)
    Posts
    6,269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 12-03-18, 21:15

    I absolutely love living in foreign countries and continue to do so in the future. Why? I just feel like I suffocate when I'm surrounded by similar people. I need diversity, cosmopolitan vibes, different languages and open-minded society.

    So far I have lived in:

    - the Czech Republic : soon after my university so not much choice for going abroad, I took this chance and even though it's very similar to my native Poland, I enjoyed every bit of this experience - hilarious language, fantastic location (Brno) in the centre of Europe, very handy to travel around for city breaks and home for Christmas and stuff, wonderful people, unforgettable souvenirs

    - Ireland : first encounter with Western Europe and mentality, quite well paid job for that time, great flatmates, easy and stressless life, vibrant pub culture, live music nights, cheap CD's, lovely countryside but crap food and weather, also little interest in talking English so I ended up socialising almost exclusively with expats until I realised it would be better to go and live somewhere else

    - Spain : likely the best place I've ever lived (Asturias) - the ideal mix of warm and cool climate as the northern coast never gets it too hot or too cold, stunning views on the ocean and mountains just a couple of kilometres away, gorgeous people, exquisite food, best language on earth, few foreigners or tourists so it's easy to blend in but unfortunately it's hard to get a permanent good job

    - the Netherlands : almost one and a half year here and still not bored at all, main motivation was to learn Dutch which is not all that easy in Amsterdam but I don't really want to live elsewhere as it's such a magical city full of international events, meetups, workshops, art, employment, fascinating history and thriving modern architecture, just the accommodation is horrendously high

  4. #4
    biscuits's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Feb 2010
    Location
    The Diva
    Posts
    48,968
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  5. #5
    RayRay's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,435
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 12-03-18, 21:43

    Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    I miss my nephew and cats :(
    Why didn't you bring your cats with you?
    My personal chart Ariana Grande | breakup with your girlfriend at #1 - Click here

  6. #6
    biscuits's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Feb 2010
    Location
    The Diva
    Posts
    48,968
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    by » 12-03-18, 21:49

    Quote Originally Posted by RayRay
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    I miss my nephew and cats :(
    Why didn't you bring your cats with you?
    That would be waaaaaaaay too complicated and expensive! They never live with me anyway, they live with my mom

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    08 Aug 2006
    Posts
    30,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 01-04-18, 17:07

    Quote Originally Posted by maroon
    I absolutely love living in foreign countries and continue to do so in the future. Why? I just feel like I suffocate when I'm surrounded by similar people. I need diversity, cosmopolitan vibes, different languages and open-minded society.

    So far I have lived in:

    - the Czech Republic : soon after my university so not much choice for going abroad, I took this chance and even though it's very similar to my native Poland, I enjoyed every bit of this experience - hilarious language, fantastic location (Brno) in the centre of Europe, very handy to travel around for city breaks and home for Christmas and stuff, wonderful people, unforgettable souvenirs

    - Ireland : first encounter with Western Europe and mentality, quite well paid job for that time, great flatmates, easy and stressless life, vibrant pub culture, live music nights, cheap CD's, lovely countryside but crap food and weather, also little interest in talking English so I ended up socialising almost exclusively with expats until I realised it would be better to go and live somewhere else

    - Spain : likely the best place I've ever lived (Asturias) - the ideal mix of warm and cool climate as the northern coast never gets it too hot or too cold, stunning views on the ocean and mountains just a couple of kilometres away, gorgeous people, exquisite food, best language on earth, few foreigners or tourists so it's easy to blend in but unfortunately it's hard to get a permanent good job

    - the Netherlands : almost one and a half year here and still not bored at all, main motivation was to learn Dutch which is not all that easy in Amsterdam but I don't really want to live elsewhere as it's such a magical city full of international events, meetups, workshops, art, employment, fascinating history and thriving modern architecture, just the accommodation is horrendously high
    oh you're so lucky! It's a blessing to be able to experience different cultures.

  8. #8
    biscuits's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Feb 2010
    Location
    The Diva
    Posts
    48,968
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    by » 01-04-18, 17:13

    Never move to Japan if you have to find your own apartment. It’s the most BS system ever

  9. #9
    nekoocz's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    12 Jun 2007
    Location
    London now
    Posts
    13,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 01-04-18, 18:04

    Quote Originally Posted by maroon
    - the Czech Republic : soon after my university so not much choice for going abroad, I took this chance and even though it's very similar to my native Poland, I enjoyed every bit of this experience - hilarious language, fantastic location (Brno) in the centre of Europe, very handy to travel around for city breaks and home for Christmas and stuff, wonderful people, unforgettable souvenirs
    I always forget you are polish i think the "funny language" is on both sides, many czechs find polish funny. However slovak Is the sexy language
    I am meeting lots of polish people lately here in Prague.
    When it comes to Brno ... I never really liked that town, it Is nice, but ... Not for me
    nekoo.cz - follow me

  10. #10
    nekoocz's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    12 Jun 2007
    Location
    London now
    Posts
    13,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 01-04-18, 18:11

    Guys what are your experiences about looking for a doctors, hospitals od surgeries while living in different countries?

    After 2 years i realized i did not have a GP in UK.
    I have heard a horror stories about experiences in London hospitals, Czech guys actually prefered to fly to Prague and have a surgery there (even tho they had to pay for that) instead of having any surgery in UK.

    Also some guys complained not getting sick leave even when they were sick, had fevers and the GP just told them to get a paracetamol.
    nekoo.cz - follow me

  11. #11
    nekoocz's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    12 Jun 2007
    Location
    London now
    Posts
    13,731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 01-04-18, 18:12

    Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    Never move to Japan if you have to find your own apartment. It’s the most BS system ever

    London says hallo ... Impossible to rent a flat as a single foreigner having a normal job.
    nekoo.cz - follow me

  12. #12
    DnBLover's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    21 Dec 2009
    Location
    PT-NO
    Posts
    14,614
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 01-04-18, 18:16

    Currently living in Norway which has a fantastic health care system but I haven't been to the doctor and I actually still can't.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

  13. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    08 Aug 2006
    Posts
    30,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 01-04-18, 23:56

    Quote Originally Posted by nekoocz
    Guys what are your experiences about looking for a doctors, hospitals od surgeries while living in different countries?

    After 2 years i realized i did not have a GP in UK.
    I have heard a horror stories about experiences in London hospitals, Czech guys actually prefered to fly to Prague and have a surgery there (even tho they had to pay for that) instead of having any surgery in UK.

    Also some guys complained not getting sick leave even when they were sick, had fevers and the GP just told them to get a paracetamol.

    That's sooo true I know many Greeks who visit Greece to see their families and also visit the GPs there + dentists.

  14. #14
    Legend
    Join Date
    08 Aug 2006
    Posts
    30,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 01-04-18, 23:57

    Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover
    Currently living in Norway which has a fantastic health care system but I haven't been to the doctor and I actually still can't.

    It must be really expensive there!


    Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    Never move to Japan if you have to find your own apartment. It’s the most BS system ever
    ahh i can imagine!!

  15. #15
    MusicRecords's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 Feb 2012
    Location
    New York City & Vienna
    Posts
    13,928
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:06

    Quote Originally Posted by RayRay
    This is something biscuits and MusicRecords can talk about too.
    I live wherever tf I want tbh

    Well my partner and I decided we wanted to have a home in Europe because why not. DOn't get me wrong, I love nyc and this is my main residence, but I wanted something in Europe as well just to make it easier, plus I wanted to do some of my studies in Europe as well. Anyway, after researching where we could both still work and stuff, we narrowed down our options and basically Vienna was the city we liked best, and def a great choice. Btw vienna has been ranked as one of the most livable cities in the world for years now I remember we had to take a few trips to Vienna (as tourists you could say) to get a feel for it plus we were meeting with agents to see different apts and whatnot. Finally we picked one and then we moved. At the time I was going for almost a year anyway to learn German, I was still in uni at the time so it was like a study abroad with my uni in nyc. I have since graduated and now I go every other month or so, for example Ive been here in nyc almost am month but im going to vienna in a week or so and staying there until the end of the summer. Anyway I am glad we did this because it's so nice being able to go to Europe and not worry about staying at a hotel or anything. Plus, because my partner has a full time job there now and we basically help the economy in Austria with our wine business and whatnot, we have the right to live there permanently if we want (we don't have to worry about overstaying as when you go as a tourist) which is very nice.
    Only thing that is a bit messy is basically doing double/special taxes each year because of what we own outside the US..
    Follow Me On Instagram

    The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

    #KING

  16. #16
    flopho's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    02 Sep 2012
    Posts
    11,450
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:09

    Just wondering, and this is not to be understood in a shady way, but why didn't you guys pick Switzerland? It's basically the "best" in Europe, especially if you're rich.
    ¡Eh, mamá!
    Me quiero matar
    El mundo se va a la mierda
    Y no he hecho nada

  17. #17
    biscuits's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Feb 2010
    Location
    The Diva
    Posts
    48,968
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:11

    Yeah it’s a good idea to visit the place first. I never visited Seoul before I moved there and I instantly disliked it

    On the other hand, I had never visited Tokyo before moving here and I ended up liking it. But for the first few months, it was a bit bewildering

  18. #18
    biscuits's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Feb 2010
    Location
    The Diva
    Posts
    48,968
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:12

    Quote Originally Posted by nekoocz
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    Never move to Japan if you have to find your own apartment. It’s the most BS system ever

    London says hallo ... Impossible to rent a flat as a single foreigner having a normal job.
    Why impossible?

    In Tokyo, you have to pretty much pay 3-4 months rent upfront. It’s ridiculous. And rent is higher for foreigners. And landlords can legally say ‘no foreigners’

  19. #19
    MusicRecords's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 Feb 2012
    Location
    New York City & Vienna
    Posts
    13,928
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:13

    Quote Originally Posted by flopho
    Just wondering, and this is not to be understood in a shady way, but why didn't you guys pick Switzerland? It's basically the "best" in Europe, especially if you're rich.
    Trust me we thought about it, and my first thought when I even had the idea of moving to Europe was something everyone knows like London or Paris...but because my partner has a diplomat full time job (aside from our business), the cities where he could work were limited in Europe. London was out of the question, Paris was possible but I had mixed feelings about living there once I actually got a feel for the city, it's a bit too dirty these days. In Switzerland we wouldn't have been able to stay in Zurich for his job, but in Geneva yes...but we didn't even like that city so yeah other options that were possible were cities like Brussels, The Hague in the Netherlands, Berlin and Budapest so yeah no my partner actually liked the idea of going to the Netherlands because he had lived there for a few years but I found all the cities there including and especially Amsterdam dirty, sketchy and boring af

    But realistically the only good options we had for both his job but also a nice city where we could incorporate the wine business was either France or Austria, both of those countries produce wine known worldwide, and we def preferred living in Vienna
    Follow Me On Instagram

    The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

    #KING

  20. #20
    flopho's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    02 Sep 2012
    Posts
    11,450
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:21

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords
    my partner actually liked the idea of going to the Netherlands because he had lived there for a few years but I found all the cities there including and especially Amsterdam dirty, sketchy and boring af
    surprised to read this tbh! But I didn't spend that much time in Ams so maybe I didn't see everything. Went by train and still remember how going from Germany (NRW) to the Netherlands felt like going from 2nd world to 1st world lmao
    ¡Eh, mamá!
    Me quiero matar
    El mundo se va a la mierda
    Y no he hecho nada

  21. #21
    MusicRecords's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 Feb 2012
    Location
    New York City & Vienna
    Posts
    13,928
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:26

    The thing I disliked the most about Amsterdam was that constant weed smell everywhere. I don’t smoke at all, zero, so you can see why it’s bothersome. I felt like the center was so overcrowded with so many young people (around my age actually) just getting high and being belligerent
    Follow Me On Instagram

    The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

    #KING

  22. #22
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,447
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:28

    Quote Originally Posted by flopho
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords
    my partner actually liked the idea of going to the Netherlands because he had lived there for a few years but I found all the cities there including and especially Amsterdam dirty, sketchy and boring af
    surprised to read this tbh! But I didn't spend that much time in Ams so maybe I didn't see everything. Went by train and still remember how going from Germany (NRW) to the Netherlands felt like going from 2nd world to 1st world lmao
    Living in NRW, I am really interested in getting to know which place(s) you meant.

    That being said, some places in Western Europe have become quite dirty or unpleasant.
    I was shocked about my three stays in Brussels, tbh, same applies to Paris. I think I won't have the desire to go there for holidays ever again.

  23. #23
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,447
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:30

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords
    The thing I disliked the most about Amsterdam was that constant weed smell everywhere. I don’t smoke at all, zero, so you can see why it’s bothersome. I felt like the center was so overcrowded with so many young people (around my age actually) just getting high and being belligerent
    I had the same impression as well + it was very noisy and crowded.
    I love Venlo and The Hague, though, and smaller cities such as Hoorn and Alkmaar or Noordwijk.

  24. #24
    flopho's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    02 Sep 2012
    Posts
    11,450
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:34

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow
    Quote Originally Posted by flopho
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords
    my partner actually liked the idea of going to the Netherlands because he had lived there for a few years but I found all the cities there including and especially Amsterdam dirty, sketchy and boring af
    surprised to read this tbh! But I didn't spend that much time in Ams so maybe I didn't see everything. Went by train and still remember how going from Germany (NRW) to the Netherlands felt like going from 2nd world to 1st world lmao
    Living in NRW, I am really interested in getting to know which place(s) you meant.

    That being said, some places in Western Europe have become quite dirty or unpleasant.
    I was shocked about my three stays in Brussels, tbh, same applies to Paris. I think I won't have the desire to go there for holidays ever again.
    It was Mönchengladbach/Viersen to Venlo, and then Venlo-Utrecht-Amsterdam. Not that were was anything horrible about NRW lol but as soon as we entered the Netherlands everything looked idk, more "neat", modern, etc.
    ¡Eh, mamá!
    Me quiero matar
    El mundo se va a la mierda
    Y no he hecho nada

  25. #25
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    06 Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,447
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 02-04-18, 00:42

    Quote Originally Posted by flopho
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow
    Quote Originally Posted by flopho
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords
    my partner actually liked the idea of going to the Netherlands because he had lived there for a few years but I found all the cities there including and especially Amsterdam dirty, sketchy and boring af
    surprised to read this tbh! But I didn't spend that much time in Ams so maybe I didn't see everything. Went by train and still remember how going from Germany (NRW) to the Netherlands felt like going from 2nd world to 1st world lmao
    Living in NRW, I am really interested in getting to know which place(s) you meant.

    That being said, some places in Western Europe have become quite dirty or unpleasant.
    I was shocked about my three stays in Brussels, tbh, same applies to Paris. I think I won't have the desire to go there for holidays ever again.
    It was Mönchengladbach/Viersen to Venlo, and then Venlo-Utrecht-Amsterdam. Not that were was anything horrible about NRW lol but as soon as we entered the Netherlands everything looked idk, more "neat", modern, etc.
    Wow. I live next to Mönchengladbach but I partly agree with you. I have been to Mönchengladbach twice in my life (even though it's just 20 minutes away from where I live) but it is neither interesting nor beautiful at all (it has some nice areas to reside or live though). The thing is that most places in NRW were meant to give room and places to stay for workers and their families and the old towns were heavily
    destroyed and unlike in Bavaria or Saxony, no one really cared to reconstruct them.

    Anyway, I live closer to Düsseldorf and I can assure you, that most of its places or the places of my town are neat and modern, too ;)

    However, the Netherlands have a so much better train system. Their platforms and train stations are fairly new and dunno, people are more interested in keeping it clean (same applies to Switzerland). When I have friends visiting me from those countries they are clearly in shock in what bad conditions our train stations and their surroundings are (my Polish family think the same now since everything has been renovated in Poland xD). So I think it's not the cities themselves but rather our shitty train stations which gave you that impression ;)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •