User Tag List

Thread: How To Overcome Job Frustrations?

Legend
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed April 4th, 2018, 08:45

We spend half our lives pursuing our careers and things can get tough at times. How do you personally deal with job frustrations?

I am currently having a huuuuge crisis because I have to find a job and applying like crazy. My problem: I get invited every 3 months for a job interview which is far too less than I actually want. Although I have 2 major qualifications (University of applied science in Teaching/Linguistics + Certificate in Economics/HR) I don't quite hit the nail on its head at the moment. I know that there is so much competition around.

But have you been in the situation where you applied for quite a while and didn't see progress? Somehow I feel a bit stuck.

Any answers welcome.
    gimme, gimme, what I want, what I deserve, gimme, gimme | My last.fm

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed April 4th, 2018, 08:51

I cant really comment on that as Ive just graduated

But I send you a lot of strength and courage - youll get where you want eventually

The Diva
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by Wed April 4th, 2018, 08:53

I left a really fantastic job because I didnt like the location. I ended up unemployed for 6 months and became depressed.

However, I never gave up and eventually I was offered a fantastic opportunity which led to further opportunities.

Actually, I was offered jobs during my unemployment which I turned down because they just didnt feel right or what I wanted. I believe everything happens for a reason and in this case, i was right to turn down those jobs.

Eventually, somebody will give you a chance. Until then, just remember that these rejections might be part of Gods plan for you (or however you want to believe)

Legend
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed April 4th, 2018, 09:28

One thing I had to overcome was standing up for myself. Nowadays, I tell everyone about themselves, but before hand, I would box in all my feelings, and I became depressed a few years back.

It feels so good to speak my mind. Companies will try to walk over you if you let them
    Diva!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed April 4th, 2018, 09:47

As biscuits said, don't give up and try and keep your mindset positive. I went through the same thing a few times and just when I was at the edge of giving up something came up. Also, give everything a chance, I believe that you don't neccessarily need to start off/do what you qualify for, aim higher, even aim lower if you really need a job cause you never know who's gonna call you, how much you're gonna like the job and where it may take you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed April 4th, 2018, 11:40

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    I left a really fantastic job because I didnt like the location. I ended up unemployed for 6 months and became depressed.

However, I never gave up and eventually I was offered a fantastic opportunity which led to further opportunities.
    You're my inspiration of the day, biscuits!

Thank you all for the feedback. I totally underestimated the effects of being on a job search.
    gimme, gimme, what I want, what I deserve, gimme, gimme | My last.fm

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed April 4th, 2018, 15:16

I am such a waster the whole idea of doing any job at all is soul crushing to me.
    I still do it and objectively it is not bad (even though there's not many opportunities, it's not paid well enough and essentially it is a waste of time), but I got really depressed by doing it half-heartedly.
    Waffles are checked cookies

The Diva
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by Wed April 4th, 2018, 15:23

Its day 3 of my new job and Ive not held back my character at all. Im already wearing flamboyant shirts, using sass, and being the diva. And its really good that people know my character straight away.

In the past, its taken a few months for me to come out of my shell and be my real self.

Manager
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by Wed April 4th, 2018, 18:06

Just started my new job 3 days ago and omg I feel like my head is about to explode. The people there are really nice but the amount of new information that is being bombarded at me is IMMENSE!
    The virtue of stanning talent & having qualitea taste: DUA LIPA ♪ RIHANNA ♪ MADONNA
    #NO DUSTY DIVAS ALLOWED

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu April 5th, 2018, 10:59

When you find yourself dealing with frustration, step back and determine what the specific problem is. Are you just tired? Did a coworker say something hurtful? Write it down. Simply knowing why you feel frustrated can help you overcome it.When you do talk to the person whos caused your frustration, make sure to:

Stay focused. Dont make it personal. Stick to the action that caused the problem.
    Avoid accusing. Theres a good chance the person isnt even aware of how you feel.
    Really listen. Instead of thinking about what youre going to say next, listen to what the person says to you and consider his or her point of view.
    Act out the Golden Rule. Treat that person the way you hope to be treated, and pay it forward when someone treats you well.

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Thu April 5th, 2018, 13:46

The process of looking for a job depends on so many aspects (do you have enough money to get by for a while? Is it your first job? What are your certificats? What is the state of the job market? Etc.).

I think looking for your first job might be the most frustrating part, especially for people who graduated with higher degrees (i.e., You're older than people looking for their first job and it really demands a mentality change. Nothing is served to you like when you study, not it all depends on your own actions. And also you expect jobs with more autonomy cause you worked so hard for it, yet expectations don't always match). It's mentally tough and exhausting. I remember having a hard time even writing a motivation letter on one day. I think it's important to give yourself enough time and space. If you don't have the means to get by work in a bar or whatever for the time being. Try to stay active though in the sense of being social, sport, etc. The waiting is super tiring and sometimes the jobs that you want aren't there. It's not too bad to wait for a while tbh. I think some people want a job way too fast, just to fill an empty void. I never had a bad job interview tbh, and I got lucky with the opportunity that I got. But it took me 4 months to get this job. It's not exactly what I wanted but it was in the domain that I wanted and I grew to love it. My contract ends this month and I got a new job starting in June and waiting for a possible grant, which I will only know at the end of june. If I have the latter I will leave my new job only after 1 month. I find it pretty unethical, but you're making your own career path, and people run over you without a blink of an eye sometimes. Anyway, once you are rolled in somewere it really gets easier to get new opportunities due to networking, work experience, etc.

I may have been lucky for now, or I may be priviliged in some ways but that's my personal opinion on the matter. As I said it depends on many factors. But if you have a specific broad domain in mind of where you want to end up or grow in (e.g., academics, teaching, therapy, sport, banking, etc.), look for a job within that domain, even if it's not 100 percent a match. Once the ball is rolling you will have more opportunities within that domain and grow towards your 'end goal'. Also you might discover new passions and aspirations while you're at it. Also other factors come into play (as Biscuits said location, environment, colleagues but also maybe love and friends etc.) But for example, if you want to be in the academic world don't go for a job as a practitioner, it's better to wait for a better opportunity in that case. Patience is key.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal"
    Last.FM
    Instagram

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat June 16th, 2018, 22:05

Probably the only chance to overcome job frustrations is not to work at all.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat July 14th, 2018, 00:00

You casually walk up to your boss and politely say I quit and leave

Makes me feel happy I dont have a typical office job or something like that, Id go crazy or probably get fired for bad attitude
    Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat July 14th, 2018, 09:47

Tbh, you can't overcome it.

You get frustated finding the job that fits you
    When you find it you'll get frustrated cause the Company is crap.
    When you find the best job for you in the best Company, you'll be frustrated to find your boss who has the competence of a 5 year old kid.
    When you find the best job for you in the best Company, with competent leaders, you'll be frustrated because there is just so much work and the pay is crap.

Is just a vicious cycle. That's the reality of life. To many people say be optimistic but you won't FEEL that way when you don't have a lot.

I would say tho u have to check Maslow' s heirarchy of needs and see if it applies to you. From there you can create a life development plan to attain all the you need
    Caution and Giving Me Life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat July 14th, 2018, 10:13

Quote Originally Posted by MusicRecords

Makes me feel happy I dont have a typical office job or something like that, Id go crazy or probably get banned for bad attitude
    SLOW DOWN PAPI... NO MEN IN ME.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat July 14th, 2018, 10:24

Quote Originally Posted by menime123

Makes me feel happy I dont have a typical office job or something like that, Id go crazy or probably get banned for bad attitude
    Honey pleaseeeee im the sweetest ever <3
    Follow Me On Instagram

#KING

Manager
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by Sat July 14th, 2018, 13:09

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardrichii
    When you find yourself dealing with frustration, step back and determine what the specific problem is. Are you just tired? Did a coworker say something hurtful? Write it down. Simply knowing why you feel frustrated can help you overcome it.When you do talk to the person whos caused your frustration, make sure to:

Stay focused. Dont make it personal. Stick to the action that caused the problem.
    Avoid accusing. Theres a good chance the person isnt even aware of how you feel.
    Really listen. Instead of thinking about what youre going to say next, listen to what the person says to you and consider his or her point of view.
    Act out the Golden Rule. Treat that person the way you hope to be treated, and pay it forward when someone treats you well.
    Wow this is such good and witty advice. Wish u'd post more than your 2 posts lol.
    The virtue of stanning talent & having qualitea taste: DUA LIPA ♪ RIHANNA ♪ MADONNA
    #NO DUSTY DIVAS ALLOWED

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat July 14th, 2018, 14:22

When you want to be

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat July 14th, 2018, 14:27

When you want to be
    Aww so youre admitting Im actually sweet (sometimes)? Awwwwww this is too cute im blushing <3
    Follow Me On Instagram

#KING

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manager
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by Fri August 3rd, 2018, 16:16

I think I hate my job. I work for a consulting company and it's just so boring, shallow and something that I can't bring myself to be excited about.

I just started 4 months ago and the pay is really good so I dunno if it would be wise to quit there?

Also my boss has started to notice my lack of motivation and excitement and he even talked to me about it. Ugh so now I have to either find a way to fake excitement and interest or quit / get fired there. Uh what should I do? :x :x :x
    #NO DUSTY DIVAS ALLOWED

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri August 3rd, 2018, 18:23

Quote Originally Posted by aRat
    I think I hate my job. I work for a consulting company and it's just so boring, shallow and something that I can't bring myself to be excited about.

I just started 4 months ago and the pay is really good so I dunno if it would be wise to quit there?

Also my boss has started to notice my lack of motivation and excitement and he even talked to me about it. Ugh so now I have to either find a way to fake excitement and interest or quit / get fired there. Uh what should I do? :x :x :x

Quit and start training turtles instead.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri August 3rd, 2018, 18:25

Quote Originally Posted by aRat

Quit and start training turtles instead.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Legend
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat May 11th, 2019, 20:15

I have for the most part been reasonably content in my current role - I've been in it for roughly 2 years and I feel like I mastered it pretty early on (not necessarily in knowledge - it's one of those roles you're constantly learning in - but from a behavioural standpoint and an application of knowledge standpoint, it didn't take long). My one lingering frustration however has been my inability to secure my next role - I've been ready to progress for around 12 months now and I'm a really high performer but for some reason, it just hasn't happened.

Reading between the lines and listening to those who've been with the organisation for years/decades - there's a real issue within the organisation's culture (it seems to much prefer going outside for talent rather than internally progressing talent). To overcome that frustration, I handed my notice in. Got a new role outside of the company and off I will trot.

Amazingly, I was told yesterday that they'd create a role for me in a department that doesn't have the budget in order to retain me - but where was that investment 6-9 months ago? Anyway, leaving in 4 weeks and moving onto pastures new!