Page 2 of 345 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 8623

Thread: Madonna :: The "Madame X" Era

  1. #26
    beredy's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    09 Nov 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    8,088
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:17

    It comes back and is hysterical about... iTunes? Lawd!
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
    .

    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

  2. #27

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:24

    Oh my bad, I thought we were talking about charts, sales and streams in here!

  3. #28
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    49,497
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:26

    Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    It comes back and is hysterical about... iTunes? Lawd!
    But... Westen is kinda right with the middle-of-the-week release date though. We have no idea what to expect obviously and don't know how it sounds like, but judging from the past and how it works at the moment, Madonna isn't really an artist you'd see as a streaming force or someone who may get a hit with time, so the first week is what (usually) matters for her. So that Wednesday release date really makes no sense there.

    But I also think this may be just a first taste to get people excited. Like getting many views on YouTube, get people talking about her etc.
    She's performing on this years ESC which is still around five weeks away so I don't think she'll perform this single there to be honest. It could be possible that the single that's meant for the charts and promo comes as the second single.

  4. #29

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:31

    Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    But... Westen is kinda right with the middle-of-the-week release date though. We have no idea what to expect obviously and don't know how it sounds like, but judging from the past and how it works at the moment, Madonna isn't really an artist you'd see as a streaming force or someone who may get a hit with time, so the first week is what (usually) matters for her. So that Wednesday release date really makes no sense there.

    But I also think this may be just a first taste to get people excited. Like getting many views on YouTube, get people talking about her etc.
    She's performing on this years ESC which is still around five weeks away so I don't think she'll perform this single there to be honest. It could be possible that the single that's meant for the charts and promo comes as the second single.
    It's still wrong strategy...Mariah tried that with GTFO and With You, but the second buzz song was released and failed to set charts on fire, hype was gone and not many people cared to check out the next/official lead single...

    Madonna's at the point of her career where she only has die hard fans supporting her music, so instead of using that (like Kylie with all those releases last year) she's still trying to score a hit...

    At least Living for Love was suitable for BBC2 to playlist it, aka the only station in UK that played her music last time around, who's gonna play her new single there?

    Her team never learns...

  5. #30
    beredy's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    09 Nov 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    8,088
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:31

    We already said Wednesday release is stupid from charting POV.

    iTunes is meaningless these days. Only songs that are big hits sells well enough to get a decent amount of points for charting purposes. Otherwise you might be Top 10 whole tracking week, but without a good stream and radio support you might not even be on Bubbling Under chart. No need to have a meltdown about that.

    The rest... Is a hysterical rambling about FACTS we have all been aware when it comes to Madonna in the streaming age. Does anyone expect 10 million first day on Spotify? LOL.

    And what do YT views have with selling albums and tickets? When has that been the case for anyone? Madonna can sell tickets with or without YT views.

    It being it. Nothing more.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
    .

    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

  6. #31
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    49,497
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:34

    ^ But we (or I) are talking about worldwide charts. Surely she would make the charts in a few countries with a normal release on a Friday with digital sales alone IF she would have a full week. It's obvious she won't make the Hot 100 even with a Friday release, that wasn't even my point. But she would have better entries/peaks (or entries at all) in countries such as Switzerland, UK, maybe Austria, Germany, Spain (?), ... and that's better than nothing at all IMO.

  7. #32
    beredy's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    09 Nov 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    8,088
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:34

    Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    Her team never learns...
    Neither do you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    Don't worry, this will be my last post on UKMIX that will be related to Madonna, I won't be spending time anymore with people like you in this thread and in other Madonna related threads. Enjoy the new era and all the trolls that will be coming with it
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
    .

    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

  8. #33
    beredy's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    09 Nov 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    8,088
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:35

    Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    ^ But we (or I) are talking about worldwide charts. Surely she would make the charts in a few countries with a normal release on a Friday with digital sales alone IF she would have a full week. It's obvious she won't make the Hot 100 even with a Friday release, that wasn't even my point. But she would have better entries/peaks (or entries at all) in countries such as Switzerland, UK, maybe Austria, Germany, Spain (?), ... and that's better than nothing at all IMO.
    We covered that hours ago and moved on. Not the first time she fumbles tracking weeks. At this point it doesn't seem like she cares about charting anymore. Which is fine as she's better off releasing good music, so I'm hoping that's the case here.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
    .

    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

  9. #34

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:38

    Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    Neither do you.
    I joined UKmix in 2013 mainly for charts purposes, so you can sit your pressed ass down ;)

  10. #35
    Wayne's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    07 Sep 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    55,122
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:38

    Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    It comes back and is hysterical about... iTunes? Lawd!
    These comments are not helpful - please don't make them.

    With every Madonna era, UKMIX sees arguments - this is an open message to all UKMIX members that you should engage with one another in a civil manner and use the post reporting functionality where applicable.

    The moderation team will apply infractions where appropriate.

  11. #36

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:39

    Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    At this point it doesn't seem like she cares about charting anymore.

  12. #37
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    49,497
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:39

    Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    We covered that hours ago and moved on. Not the first time she fumbles tracking weeks. At this point it doesn't seem like she cares about charting anymore. Which is fine as she's better off releasing good music, so I'm hoping that's the case here.
    Well then nevermind if you already moved on, I only just arrived

    You know, my 'fears' of this not doing too well is probably just me. Because what can we expect? As you say, it's not like she's here for a smash hit on the Singles Charts nowadays. If it happens we will take it. If it won't, it wouldn't be the worst thing and not unexpected. But one can dream... and something in me thinks it would have been easier with a normal release on a Friday.

  13. #38
    flotando's Avatar
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    18 Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,586
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:54

    Living for Love, Ghosttown and Bitch Im Madonna had really low peaks or did not chart at all. I don’t think they are looking for a top 10 or even top 40 hit but a sleeper.

    Maluma is pretty unknown in certain countries but he is a huge streaming artist and really relevant in other territories. And Madonna happens to be still big in those countries: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Italy, Spain...

    So let’s wait to see what happens cause this may be a great move

  14. #39
    RayRay's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    15,142
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:58

    Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    So, stupid decision right from the start. Both Maluma and Madonna don't have any power on itunes, and if song really is in Spanish it sure won't do anything in her main markets (English speaking ones - I mean if amazing Chantaje failed to be a charting hit in US, UK, Australia...) so first week sales/streams will probably her only shot at peaking high in some markets, it probably won't do anything in UK and US, especially after 2 days... Youtube views (since they are probably aiming for that) don't sell albums or tickets, nothing's changed (and grillZ are still there, so it's continuation of Menopausedonna?)... Not to mention that it won't be playlisted anywhere first two days... *where is rolling eyes icon???*

    Maluma's last single did nothing on major charts...

    I'm still excited for the music, but from charts perspective, it will be dead on arrival. Taylor is releasing in 10 days, Beyonce has docu in few days, Gaga is coming in few weeks, Rihanna...

    Let's just home Nelly Furtado's husband is not mixing this damn album!!
    I don't think Madonna is looking for a hit on the charts.
    My Instagram... - Click here

  15. #40

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 19:59

    By realising a single with Colombian artist Maluma I don't think she is aiming for a mega success in Australia, UK or the USA. So don't be so narrow minded and be faithful. She is so obviously aiming to please her Latin American audience, a place where she has always been huge btw.

    And let's not forget about Spain or Italy, where she might score yet another chart topping single (she has literally dozens in those countries)
    Last edited by babyshower; Mon April 15th, 2019 at 20:04.

  16. #41

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:22

    Quote Originally Posted by flotando View Post
    Living for Love, Ghosttown and Bitch Im Madonna had really low peaks or did not chart at all. I don’t think they are looking for a top 10 or even top 40 hit but a sleeper.

    Maluma is pretty unknown in certain countries but he is a huge streaming artist and really relevant in other territories. And Madonna happens to be still big in those countries: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Italy, Spain...

    So let’s wait to see what happens cause this may be a great move
    Well, we can't really compare anything to RH start, all songs leaked, and were rush released night before Xmas freeze, it was mess.

    This is her first proper release since GMAYL, but market is not frontloaded like it was back in the day... All I wanted was top 40 single in UK, Gemrnay, France, and maybe top 80 in US, but with first song featuting Maluma and most likely being spanish song, we can kiss charts goodbye. Sure, it might do well on streaming thanks to Maluma in his market in LA, but that is irrelevant to Madonna.

  17. #42

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:30

    Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    we can kiss charts goodbye.
    Not exactly. I would rather have a certified single in Spain and Latin America that doesn't chart in the USA at all than having a #84 peaking tracks on Billboard Hot 100 that doesn't even get one single certification. I'd rather have a decent hit in some territories than a top 40 single in the UK that doesn't add anything to her already impressive collection of hits. Maluma has minor hits that certified more than anything on MDNA or Rebel Heart. And they didn't chart at all in the UK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    Sure, it might do well on streaming thanks to Maluma in his market in LA, but that is irrelevant to Madonna.
    Well, Madonna happens to be the lead artist in case you didn't know.

  18. #43
    theMathematician's Avatar
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    31 May 2018
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,500
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:38

    Her last era with some chart relevance was the 'Hard Candy' era. I see two possibilities to return there: The album will either receive universal acclaim 'Lemonade'-style or get launched with that huge lead single (like e.g. Cher's 'Believe' or her own 'Hung Up'). It depends on whether she's planning this era with a focus on chart success or artistry...

  19. #44

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:38

    If Maluma himself promotes this to his fans on social media this will get big numbers on Youtube. Many artists are looking to hit it big on Youtube these days.

    Charting for one week on the Hot 100 is not financially appealing for veteran artists these days. Madonna is clearly aiming to hit other territories, expand her audiences and reach new younger markets instead by increasing her Youtube and streaming numbers (no matter where the numbers come from).
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

  20. #45

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:40

    Quote Originally Posted by theMathematician View Post
    Her last era with some chart relevance was the 'Hard Candy' era.
    This is not true. MDNA was one of the best selling albums of 2012 and received certifications in 20 countries.

  21. #46
    jjavier1978's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Nov 2012
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    15,786
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:41

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    These comments are not helpful - please don't make them.

    With every Madonna era, UKMIX sees arguments - this is an open message to all UKMIX members that you should engage with one another in a civil manner and use the post reporting functionality where applicable.

    The moderation team will apply infractions where appropriate.
    That's it, we still do not learn the lesson....
    Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

  22. #47

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:42

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix View Post
    If Maluma himself promotes this to his fans on social media this will get big numbers on Youtube. Many artists are looking to hit it big on Youtube these days.

    Charting for one week on the Hot 100 is not financially appealing for veteran artists these days. Madonna is clearly aiming to hit other territories, expand her audiences and reach new younger markets instead by increasing her Youtube and streaming numbers (no matter where the numbers come from).
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Daddy Yankee is just as strong as Maluma on youtube (if not even stronger, I mean Despacito had him, right?) and it still did nothing for Janet's single... Even video views are not that big - 60m.

    We're all giving too much credit to Maluma because we want Madonna to succeed.

  23. #48

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:43

    Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    This is not true. MDNA was one of the best selling albums of 2012 and received certifications in 20 countries.
    It was a better musical climate (higher pure sales) and she had a bigger fanbase back then too, a fanbase large enough to get her certified in several markets just with the copies bought by her millions of fans. But let's be honest it's pretty much a reach to say that MDNA era was that much relevant outside of her fanbase, the GP pretty much skipped this one.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

  24. #49
    jjavier1978's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Nov 2012
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    15,786
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:44

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix View Post
    If Maluma himself promotes this to his fans on social media this will get big numbers on Youtube. Many artists are looking to hit it big on Youtube these days.

    Charting for one week on the Hot 100 is not financially appealing for veteran artists these days. Madonna is clearly aiming to hit other territories, expand her audiences and reach new younger markets instead by increasing her Youtube and streaming numbers (no matter where the numbers come from).
    Of course...
    Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

  25. #50

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:48

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix View Post
    her Youtube and streaming numbers (no matter where the numbers come from).
    I think this is key to understand what she and her team are aiming for this era.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •