Page 3 of 329 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 8202

Thread: Madonna :: The "Madame X" Era

  1. #51

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:56

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix View Post
    It was a better musical climate (higher pure sales) and she had a bigger fanbase back then too, a fanbase large enough to get her certified in several markets just with the copies bought by her millions of fans. But let's be honest it's pretty much a reach to say that MDNA era was that much relevant outside of her fanbase, the GP pretty much skipped this one.
    20 is not several. Feel free and name albums that you consider flop (like MDNA) that received certifications in 20 countries this decade...

    IFPI has it #12 on their list of bestselling albums of 2012.

    Mediatraffic had her at #16 on YEC that year, #16 is #16, has nothing to do with sales climate. Being one of top 20 best selling albums of the year IS an achievement (for example Ariana's Sweetener was #17 on last year's chart)

  2. #52

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:56

    Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Daddy Yankee is just as strong as Maluma on youtube (if not even stronger, I mean Despacito had him, right?) and it still did nothing for Janet's single... Even video views are not that big - 60m.

    We're all giving too much credit to Maluma because we want Madonna to succeed.
    Well, I'm from Latin America so I'm pretty familiar with the trends over here and yeah Daddy Yankee is still a big name but I would say Maluma is more trendy right now over here.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

  3. #53

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:57

    Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Daddy Yankee is just as strong as Maluma on youtube (if not even stronger, I mean Despacito had him, right?) and it still did nothing for Janet's single... Even video views are not that big - 60m.

    Well, Janet Jackson is relatively unknown in Latin America, at least compared to Madonna. The same can be said about Kylie Minogue and her Gente de Zona collab.

  4. #54

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:06

    Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    20 is not several. Feel free and name albums that you consider flop (like MDNA) that received certifications in 20 countries this decade...

    IFPI has it #12 on their list of bestselling albums of 2012.

    Mediatraffic had her at #16 on YEC that year, #16 is #16, has nothing to do with sales climate. Being one of top 20 best selling albums of the year IS an achievement (for example Ariana's Sweetener was #17 on last year's chart)
    You didn't get the point. Her fanbase (back then) was so big that she could pull those numbers and placements based on her fanbase alone but that doesn't mean that she had the GP and people outside of her fanbase super interested on the "MDNA" era. In fact the "MDNA" album left the Mediatraffic chart after only 10 weeks, there wasn't much of an impact or relevance in the general musical scene with it but her fanbase was so large that those 10 weeks alone were enough for her to secure decent placements on the year end charts and certifications (the album sold 710K on first week alone, her fanbase was clearly huge but out of her community of fans "MDNA" is not really that known).
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

  5. #55

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:08

    Well, since we're talking about MDNA, that album was widely considered a flop thanks to its lack of longevity in countries like the USA or the UK, although it achieved decent success in other countries (France, Mexico, Canada, Spain just to name a few), even in Japan where it was certified gold without any promotion. So that should indicate why she decided to promote her new record like this: she is done with trying to get the anglos back, it seems it doesn't matter what she does she is still gonna be discrimated against on their radio stations and be shred to pieces by their media and she is now going to please the audience who has supported her the most in the last decade. That audience also happens to be very active in streaming platforms.

  6. #56

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:13

    Quote Originally Posted by babyshower View Post
    Well, since we're talking about MDNA, that album was widely considered a flop thanks to its lack of longevity in countries like the USA or the UK, although it achieved decent success in other countries (France, Mexico, Canada, Spain just to name a few), even in Japan where it was certified gold without any promotion. So that should indicate why she decided to promote her new record like this: she is done with trying to get the anglos back, it seems it doesn't matter what she does she is still gonna be discrimated against on their radio stations and be shred to pieces by their media and she is now going to please the audience who has supported her the most in the last decade. That audience also happens to be very active in streaming platforms.
    I honestly think she doesn't give a d*mn about USA and UK anymore, she's probably tired of focussing on those markets that won't probably ever welcome her back again.

    She will definitely explore other markets and audiences.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

  7. #57

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:14

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix View Post
    You didn't get the point. Her fanbase (back then) was so big that she could pull those numbers and placements based on her fanbase alone but that doesn't mean that she had the GP and people outside of her fanbase super interested on the "MDNA" era. In fact the "MDNA" album left the Mediatraffic chart after only 10 weeks, there wasn't much of an impact or relevance in the general musical scene with it but her fanbase was so large that those 10 weeks alone were enough for her to secure decent placements on the year end charts and certifications (the album sold 710K on first week alone, her fanbase was clearly huge but out of her community of fans "MDNA" is not really that known).
    I still don't see a reason for discrediting SUCCESS.

    It's like saying 'Ariana has big fanbase now and that's why she's getting #1s'. You're stating the obvious.

    The fact is that MDNA was #12 on IFPI's YEC. On top of that it received certifications in 20 countries - even few multiplatinum. And that alone is huge success for such a terrible album and non era. You just have to accept that.

  8. #58

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:16

    Very very good for her. I think we should be more open minded of how things might end up being this era.

  9. #59

  10. #60

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:26

    Releasing it on a Wednesday with only *1* of streaming points is definitely a horrible idea. Why not release on a Friday and give it a proper full week? Wouldn’t that be the smart thing to do?? She is Madonna after all.

  11. #61

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:27

    Quote Originally Posted by Westen View Post
    I still don't see a reason for discrediting SUCCESS.

    It's like saying 'Ariana has big fanbase now and that's why she's getting #1s'. You're stating the obvious.

    The fact is that MDNA was #12 on IFPI's YEC. On top of that it received certifications in 20 countries - even few multiplatinum. And that alone is huge success for such a terrible album and non era. You just have to accept that.
    I'm not discrediting her success I'm just agreeing with @theMathematician that "Hard Candy" was her last era with certain level of relevance.

    And nope what I stated it's not similar to Ariana's current performance because it's not that hard to determine when something is fan-oriented and when something is GP oriented, I honestly hear Ariana everywhere, gyms, cars, parties, radio stations, shopping centers, stores, girls posting about her on social media, just 2 days ago my neighbors were having a party and I could hear them playing Ariana songs, the girl is everywhere at the moment so you can easily deduce that even though the girl's fanbase is growing the general public is clearly supporting her too . . . . "MDNA" was successful in a different way, and I realized it was mostly a fan-oriented era / album because I never heard anything about it outside of Madonna forums / pop forums, never heard her songs out there in daily life or people talking about Madonna around that time or anything, the more frontloaded performance of the album quite also confirmed it was more fanbase-centric and honestly I don't think that many people outside of her fanbase even know what "MDNA" is . . . people who are not her fans must think it is some kind of new drug or something if you mention MDNA to them.


    "MDNA" was successful commercially-wise for sure, her fanbase did a great job and we have discussed plenty of times how amazing she did for her age and after so many decades in the business, she had enough power and fans to score easy certifications everywhere . . . but that doesn't mean it was a big thing among the GP and that's what I meant, "MDNA" was an era for her fans.
    Last edited by MrLeonix; Mon April 15th, 2019 at 21:29.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

  12. #62

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:30

    I agree, "MDNA" was platinum in my country but I never listened to any of its singles that often on the radio. Which was odd considering how big her singles were, even Give i 2 me was massive.

  13. #63

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:32

    Her last big hit on the charts was 4 Minutes from Hard Candy. The song exploded all over the world peaking at #1 and #3 in the US. That’s truly the last time she really ruled the charts.

    Gaging from the release midweek, Guy O and M should realize that her fans want to see her succeed and chart high. After all we are the ones downloading and streaming her stuff over and over!

  14. #64

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:35

    Quote Originally Posted by babyshower View Post
    I agree, "MDNA" was platinum in my country but I never listened to any of its singles that often on the radio. Which was odd considering how big her singles were, even Give i 2 me was massive.
    Hard Candy’s Give It 2 Me was ICONIC and AMAZING.

    Even the SS tour was so great that she came back for another sold out run. Hard Candy era definitely the last huge era.

  15. #65

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:37

    and it was considered a failure due to its American chart performance, by the way ^

    No wonder she is done trying with them

  16. #66
    spiritboy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    11 Jan 2004
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    28,098
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 21:59

    Guys if you like to discuss her previous achievements, do it in her Charts & Sales thread. This thread is already becoming a mess before the single release.

    I heard Justin is releasing a single on Friday so he'll be #1 on iTunes all around the world. While the sales are irrelevant, being #1 on many iTunes market is still important for marketing strategy. People will look at itunes chart and see Madonna at #1 on Wednesday thus giving her visibility for general public.
    Cha Cha Instructor

  17. #67

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 22:09

    So the Madame ❌ era begins in a little more than 24 hours. I just hope it’s some really good music and we can sink our teeth into.

  18. #68
    beredy's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    09 Nov 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    7,571
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 22:11

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
    So the Madame ❌ era begins in a little more than 24 hours. I just hope it’s some really good music and we can sink our teeth into.
    It probably won't come out at midnight if they're making video premiere too. Videos rarely come out at midnight.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
    .

    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

  19. #69
    jjavier1978's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Nov 2012
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    15,437
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 22:14

    The Medellin (Music) Vídeo will released on MTV (April 17th, 2019) according to @MTV @MTVUK @MTVEMAs on twitter.
    Last edited by jjavier1978; Mon April 15th, 2019 at 22:22.
    Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

  20. #70
    spiritboy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    11 Jan 2004
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    28,098
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 22:26

    Madonna & MTV re-united, nostalgic and exciting times
    Cha Cha Instructor

  21. #71
    nympho's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    07 Jul 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    10,603
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 22:27

    Some of you are going REALLY off topic.
    Please, keep this topic about her new era and avoid unnecessary fights.

    Don’t worry too much about the Wednesday release.
    Yes, I hate them too, but that’s the common thing nowadays. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday... artists/labels release singles whenever they feel like. And the strategy is to avoid your song being overshadowed by all the other Friday releases.

    I’ve stated in the past that is a bad idea for artists with no streaming power whose only chance of charting in the low region of the Hot 100 is on week 1 thanks mainly to sales. But the thing is that won’t be (or shouldn’t be) the case with “Medellín”. I would agree if this was a solo single. But it’s a featuring with Maluma. And even if some still keep underestimating him just because he’s not famous in their country, he has great numbers on Spotify and specially in YouTube. The song will probably have Spotify’s playlists support that she didn’t have with RH singles and probably wouldn’t have had with a solo single.
    Same thing with the YouTube Views. Many people who will never watch a Madonna video will check the new Maluma video (his latest music video, for example, has 200M views in 1.5 months)

    So, this is not an “Ashes” or “GTFO” scenario...

    It’s more of a “Made for now” scenario, that charted on Hot 100 mainly thanks to the YouTube views. Yes, its numbers are not huge, but they’re way better than her previous singles (61M views on YouTube vs. 22M of No Sleeep in 4 years).

    I’m sure the song can be a hit, specially in Europe and Latin America. So don’t worry about the Wednesday release.

  22. #72

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 22:37

    Maluma only had one song as lead artist that appeared in top 100 on Spotify in US (lower side of 80s), had none in UK and Australia... Let's see that streaming power...

  23. #73
    jjavier1978's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Nov 2012
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    15,437
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.

  24. #74
    flotando's Avatar
    Personal Assistant
    Join Date
    18 Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,570
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 22:39

    Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    People will look at itunes chart and see Madonna at #1 on Wednesday thus giving her visibility for general public.
    I am not so sure the new single is going to be #1 on iTunes worldwide. iTunes is irrelevant, I know, and it should be easy due to her fanbase, but downloads of Champagne Rosé, or Ghosttown, which by the way was never leaked, were really poor.

    Also the streaming numbers of the MET Gala and the new teaser on her Youtube channel are really low.

    I think the song may be a hit or a sleeper, but don't take anything for granted cause she's been away for an eternity and we may be really disappointed on Wednesday.

  25. #75
    stevyy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    14 May 2005
    Location
    .dk
    Posts
    54,656
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)

    by » Mon April 15th, 2019, 22:46

    I expect at least 30 million views for the video in week1 and probably also around 30 million streams. Maluma will carry this and it will fly.

    If things go well, this could very well debut in the top 20 on the H100.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •