User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 151 to 168 of 168

Thread: Spartan's A-Z Chart (J)

  1. #151
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 10-02-19, 22:52





    A familiar face but an unknown musician, actor Cheyenne Jackson's debut album spawned some great singles that I introduced to UKMIX but I don't think this was one of them. It's a very summery song with an incredible beat and a catchy chorus, it's a true winner.





    From an unknown song to one of the most well-known songs, I'm Still Standing has become my favourite Elton John over time. I don't need to do a long write-up on this song as I'm sure y'all know how fabulous it is.

  2. #152
    Benny's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    20 Dec 2009
    Location
    .eu
    Posts
    23,104
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 11-02-19, 11:44

    Cheyenne Jackson is very nice to look at. Never heard him singing though.

    Great Elton John classic, I agree that it's fabulous!

  3. #153
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 12-02-19, 12:06

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    Cheyenne Jackson is very nice to look at. Never heard him singing though.

    Great Elton John classic, I agree that it's fabulous!
    Perv. ;) You'd enjoy him.

  4. #154
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 12-02-19, 12:07





    Where she gone? One of my all-time favourite performers Natasha Bedingfield burst onto the scene in the 00s with an impeccable debut album, the song If You're Gonna... is lifted straight from there. With some truly inane and bizarre lyrics, the song is some awesome pop-rock ditty. The transition from the verses to the chorus is my favourite part of the song.





    Now to a more classic song from The Beatles. It's probably not very widely considered one of their best songs but it's my person favourite. In My Life has beautiful sentiment behind it with some warming lyrics and beautiful harmonies from the band.

  5. #155
    cheapthrills's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    08 Jul 2016
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    7,659
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 16-02-19, 04:42

    Cheyenne Jackson is hot. I'm not above charting men simply because they are thirst traps. Still don't care for the song.

    I'm Still Standing is actually one of my favorite Elton songs.

  6. #156
    JSparksFan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    24 Jul 2009
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    49,902
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 17-02-19, 01:41

    "Hometown Glory" is simple, but classy and beautiful, which is a pretty accurate description of Adele's overall style of music. It's probably my favourite song from her debut album. It's either that one or "Melt My Heart to Stone". "This Is How a Heart Unbreaks" is repetitive, but I like the spirit of it. I chuckled at 'Evermoist', though.

    "How Did It Come to This" is good! I'll have to add it to my Spotify library. "Human" is nice. I feel like it's a song that Coldplay could have done just as well.

    "I Can't Hate You Anymore" is basic, but I like it a lot! I think I'll add it to my library. "I Let the Music Speak" feels like ABBA's attempt at their own "Bohemian Rhapsody". I'm not absolutely in love with it, but it certainly is different for them, and I appreciate it.

    "I Wan'na Be Like You" is funky! Robbie and Olly are a duet that makes so much sense on paper, so glad they were able to channel that chemistry in the studio. "I'll Cover You (Reprise)" isn't bad. I hope "Seasons of Love" appears!

    "I'm Blue Skies" sounds great! I always liked "Before You" and "Don't Wanna Know" from Cheyenne, but this one makes three! Ah, "I'm Still Standing" - a survivor's anthem, and a refreshing uptempo cut from one of the ballad kings of music!

    "If You're Gonna Jump" is such a bizarre sound for Natasha. I don't like it. "In My Life" is bland.
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

    The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

  7. #157
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 17-02-19, 16:53

    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    "Hometown Glory" is simple, but classy and beautiful, which is a pretty accurate description of Adele's overall style of music. It's probably my favourite song from her debut album. It's either that one or "Melt My Heart to Stone". "This Is How a Heart Unbreaks" is repetitive, but I like the spirit of it. I chuckled at 'Evermoist', though.

    "How Did It Come to This" is good! I'll have to add it to my Spotify library. "Human" is nice. I feel like it's a song that Coldplay could have done just as well.

    "I Can't Hate You Anymore" is basic, but I like it a lot! I think I'll add it to my library. "I Let the Music Speak" feels like ABBA's attempt at their own "Bohemian Rhapsody". I'm not absolutely in love with it, but it certainly is different for them, and I appreciate it.

    "I Wan'na Be Like You" is funky! Robbie and Olly are a duet that makes so much sense on paper, so glad they were able to channel that chemistry in the studio. "I'll Cover You (Reprise)" isn't bad. I hope "Seasons of Love" appears!

    "I'm Blue Skies" sounds great! I always liked "Before You" and "Don't Wanna Know" from Cheyenne, but this one makes three! Ah, "I'm Still Standing" - a survivor's anthem, and a refreshing uptempo cut from one of the ballad kings of music!

    "If You're Gonna Jump" is such a bizarre sound for Natasha. I don't like it. "In My Life" is bland.
    Evermoist is a hilarious name. I'm glad there were some songs you liked here - notably How Did It Come To This. Also pleased to see I'm Blue Skies in your faves - his album isn't that good in all honesty, but there are some good tracks on it, mainly the three I've highlighted.

  8. #158
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 17-02-19, 16:54





    The first song on this countdown to have come from the Hamilton soundtrack is this one. While I'm aware that in the case of any musical song, you need to understand the context of it, I feel this one doesn't require much. This track is sung after a character in the show dies, and It's Quiet Uptown perfectly encapsulates the sentiments of the characters.





    Here we have a Carole King classic. She's an artist whose discography I feel the need to delve more into in all honesty. Here is one of her classic songs as an artist It's Too Late, she's known for her slower songs so it's great to see something a bit more mid-tempo from Carole King.

  9. #159
    Benny's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    20 Dec 2009
    Location
    .eu
    Posts
    23,104
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 17-02-19, 19:32

    'It's Too Late' is nice, plus there's a cat on the cover of her album which is always a plus as I love cats!

  10. #160
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 18-02-19, 11:42

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    'It's Too Late' is nice, plus there's a cat on the cover of her album which is always a plus as I love cats!
    Yesss, cats >>>> dogs

  11. #161
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 18-02-19, 11:42





    Was it massively overplayed on the radio? Yes. Do I give a damn? No. It's a brilliant song and, despite being overplayed, still holds up well today. Jar of Hearts perfectly highlights the emotions through the instrumental and Christina's vocals, ergo makes a brilliant song.





    An album track here. Honestly, it's nowhere near the best song on her album it's taken from but I needed some J variation and this track has a solid, dark beat with subtle undertones. My personal highlight of Je M'Appelle is the climatic middle-8 which builds up fantastically into the last chorus.

  12. #162
    Benny's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    20 Dec 2009
    Location
    .eu
    Posts
    23,104
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 18-02-19, 11:54

    'Jar of Hearts' is nice, I've been avoiding it for years due to the overplay on radio at the time but it's still a great song!

  13. #163
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 19-02-19, 12:20

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    'Jar of Hearts' is nice, I've been avoiding it for years due to the overplay on radio at the time but it's still a great song!
    Agreed, it's a shame that radio can have that effect on people.

  14. #164
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 19-02-19, 12:21





    A reprise of a song found in Act One of the show, Johanna (Trio) (though it's musically a quartet) is one of my favourite songs from the musical. It's not the catchiest, nor the most memorable but it's one of the deepest. It manages to merge the different melodies of the characters into one song, it also summarises Sweeney's journey throughout the musical well, with his last line being "we learn to say goodbye". But naturally if you've never seen the musical this song would be boring as hell to you.





    Two songs with people's names in them following each other. This one is Dolly Parton's signature (after 9 to 5) number Jolene. I'm not a massive country music fan but there's no denying the durability of this song and how revered it is.

  15. #165
    Benny's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    20 Dec 2009
    Location
    .eu
    Posts
    23,104
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 19-02-19, 18:21

    'Jolene' is great! It was covered by Dutch band 'The Common Linnets' (who took part in the ESC in 2014) and German band 'BossHoss' in 2015, I like that remake a lot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdsHb7mnD-Q

  16. #166
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 20-02-19, 11:38

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    'Jolene' is great! It was covered by Dutch band 'The Common Linnets' (who took part in the ESC in 2014) and German band 'BossHoss' in 2015, I like that remake a lot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdsHb7mnD-Q
    Loved that cover version and the male/female vocalists on it!

  17. #167
    Spartan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,307
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 20-02-19, 11:38





    British boyband Lawson never made a massive impact on the charts when they were around but still released some great songs, my personal favourite of theirs is Juliet. A pop-rock number that's actually aged fairly well in my opinion, the chorus is the highlight and is insanely catchy.





    Flashback to one of the signature tunes on the 80s (and there's so many awesome songs from that decade and you find yourselves with Van Halen's classic Jump. Another infectious tune, the bridge leading into the chorus is one of my favourite pieces of music.

  18. #168
    Benny's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    20 Dec 2009
    Location
    .eu
    Posts
    23,104
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by 20-02-19, 11:52

    Two great songs in the last batch!

    Lawson had a string of strong pop singles a few years ago and 'Juliet' is one of them.
    'Jump' is an iconic 80s classic!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •