Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Spartan's A-Z Chart / T

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 10th, 2019, 23:52

A familiar face but an unknown musician, actor Cheyenne Jackson's debut album spawned some great singles that I introduced to UKMIX but I don't think this was one of them. It's a very summery song with an incredible beat and a catchy chorus, it's a true winner.

From an unknown song to one of the most well-known songs, I'm Still Standing has become my favourite Elton John over time. I don't need to do a long write-up on this song as I'm sure y'all know how fabulous it is.

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon February 11th, 2019, 12:44

Cheyenne Jackson is very nice to look at. Never heard him singing though.

Great Elton John classic, I agree that it's fabulous!

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue February 12th, 2019, 13:06

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    Cheyenne Jackson is very nice to look at. Never heard him singing though.

Great Elton John classic, I agree that it's fabulous!
    Perv. ;) You'd enjoy him.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue February 12th, 2019, 13:07

Where she gone? One of my all-time favourite performers Natasha Bedingfield burst onto the scene in the 00s with an impeccable debut album, the song If You're Gonna... is lifted straight from there. With some truly inane and bizarre lyrics, the song is some awesome pop-rock ditty. The transition from the verses to the chorus is my favourite part of the song.

Now to a more classic song from The Beatles. It's probably not very widely considered one of their best songs but it's my person favourite. In My Life has beautiful sentiment behind it with some warming lyrics and beautiful harmonies from the band.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat February 16th, 2019, 05:42

Cheyenne Jackson is hot. I'm not above charting men simply because they are thirst traps. Still don't care for the song.

I'm Still Standing is actually one of my favorite Elton songs.

Legend
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 17th, 2019, 02:41

"Hometown Glory" is simple, but classy and beautiful, which is a pretty accurate description of Adele's overall style of music. It's probably my favourite song from her debut album. It's either that one or "Melt My Heart to Stone". "This Is How a Heart Unbreaks" is repetitive, but I like the spirit of it. I chuckled at 'Evermoist', though.

"How Did It Come to This" is good! I'll have to add it to my Spotify library. "Human" is nice. I feel like it's a song that Coldplay could have done just as well.

"I Can't Hate You Anymore" is basic, but I like it a lot! I think I'll add it to my library. "I Let the Music Speak" feels like ABBA's attempt at their own "Bohemian Rhapsody". I'm not absolutely in love with it, but it certainly is different for them, and I appreciate it.

"I Wan'na Be Like You" is funky! Robbie and Olly are a duet that makes so much sense on paper, so glad they were able to channel that chemistry in the studio. "I'll Cover You (Reprise)" isn't bad. I hope "Seasons of Love" appears!

"I'm Blue Skies" sounds great! I always liked "Before You" and "Don't Wanna Know" from Cheyenne, but this one makes three! Ah, "I'm Still Standing" - a survivor's anthem, and a refreshing uptempo cut from one of the ballad kings of music!

"If You're Gonna Jump" is such a bizarre sound for Natasha. I don't like it. "In My Life" is bland.
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 17th, 2019, 17:53

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    "Hometown Glory" is simple, but classy and beautiful, which is a pretty accurate description of Adele's overall style of music. It's probably my favourite song from her debut album. It's either that one or "Melt My Heart to Stone". "This Is How a Heart Unbreaks" is repetitive, but I like the spirit of it. I chuckled at 'Evermoist', though.

"How Did It Come to This" is good! I'll have to add it to my Spotify library. "Human" is nice. I feel like it's a song that Coldplay could have done just as well.

"I Can't Hate You Anymore" is basic, but I like it a lot! I think I'll add it to my library. "I Let the Music Speak" feels like ABBA's attempt at their own "Bohemian Rhapsody". I'm not absolutely in love with it, but it certainly is different for them, and I appreciate it.

"I Wan'na Be Like You" is funky! Robbie and Olly are a duet that makes so much sense on paper, so glad they were able to channel that chemistry in the studio. "I'll Cover You (Reprise)" isn't bad. I hope "Seasons of Love" appears!

"I'm Blue Skies" sounds great! I always liked "Before You" and "Don't Wanna Know" from Cheyenne, but this one makes three! Ah, "I'm Still Standing" - a survivor's anthem, and a refreshing uptempo cut from one of the ballad kings of music!

"If You're Gonna Jump" is such a bizarre sound for Natasha. I don't like it. "In My Life" is bland.
    Evermoist is a hilarious name. I'm glad there were some songs you liked here - notably How Did It Come To This. Also pleased to see I'm Blue Skies in your faves - his album isn't that good in all honesty, but there are some good tracks on it, mainly the three I've highlighted.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 17th, 2019, 17:54

The first song on this countdown to have come from the Hamilton soundtrack is this one. While I'm aware that in the case of any musical song, you need to understand the context of it, I feel this one doesn't require much. This track is sung after a character in the show dies, and It's Quiet Uptown perfectly encapsulates the sentiments of the characters.

Here we have a Carole King classic. She's an artist whose discography I feel the need to delve more into in all honesty. Here is one of her classic songs as an artist It's Too Late, she's known for her slower songs so it's great to see something a bit more mid-tempo from Carole King.

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 17th, 2019, 20:32

'It's Too Late' is nice, plus there's a cat on the cover of her album which is always a plus as I love cats!

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon February 18th, 2019, 12:42

'It's Too Late' is nice, plus there's a cat on the cover of her album which is always a plus as I love cats!
    Yesss, cats >>>> dogs

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon February 18th, 2019, 12:42

Was it massively overplayed on the radio? Yes. Do I give a damn? No. It's a brilliant song and, despite being overplayed, still holds up well today. Jar of Hearts perfectly highlights the emotions through the instrumental and Christina's vocals, ergo makes a brilliant song.

An album track here. Honestly, it's nowhere near the best song on her album it's taken from but I needed some J variation and this track has a solid, dark beat with subtle undertones. My personal highlight of Je M'Appelle is the climatic middle-8 which builds up fantastically into the last chorus.

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon February 18th, 2019, 12:54

'Jar of Hearts' is nice, I've been avoiding it for years due to the overplay on radio at the time but it's still a great song!

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue February 19th, 2019, 13:20

'Jar of Hearts' is nice, I've been avoiding it for years due to the overplay on radio at the time but it's still a great song!
    Agreed, it's a shame that radio can have that effect on people.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue February 19th, 2019, 13:21

A reprise of a song found in Act One of the show, Johanna (Trio) (though it's musically a quartet) is one of my favourite songs from the musical. It's not the catchiest, nor the most memorable but it's one of the deepest. It manages to merge the different melodies of the characters into one song, it also summarises Sweeney's journey throughout the musical well, with his last line being "we learn to say goodbye". But naturally if you've never seen the musical this song would be boring as hell to you.

Two songs with people's names in them following each other. This one is Dolly Parton's signature (after 9 to 5) number Jolene. I'm not a massive country music fan but there's no denying the durability of this song and how revered it is.

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue February 19th, 2019, 19:21

'Jolene' is great! It was covered by Dutch band 'The Common Linnets' (who took part in the ESC in 2014) and German band 'BossHoss' in 2015, I like that remake a lot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdsHb7mnD-Q

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed February 20th, 2019, 12:38

'Jolene' is great! It was covered by Dutch band 'The Common Linnets' (who took part in the ESC in 2014) and German band 'BossHoss' in 2015, I like that remake a lot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdsHb7mnD-Q
    Loved that cover version and the male/female vocalists on it!

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed February 20th, 2019, 12:38

British boyband Lawson never made a massive impact on the charts when they were around but still released some great songs, my personal favourite of theirs is Juliet. A pop-rock number that's actually aged fairly well in my opinion, the chorus is the highlight and is insanely catchy.

Flashback to one of the signature tunes on the 80s (and there's so many awesome songs from that decade and you find yourselves with Van Halen's classic Jump. Another infectious tune, the bridge leading into the chorus is one of my favourite pieces of music.

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed February 20th, 2019, 12:52

Two great songs in the last batch!

Lawson had a string of strong pop singles a few years ago and 'Juliet' is one of them.
    'Jump' is an iconic 80s classic!

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 24th, 2019, 23:31

Two great songs in the last batch!

Lawson had a string of strong pop singles a few years ago and 'Juliet' is one of them.
    'Jump' is an iconic 80s classic!
    2/2 for Benny. I'll take that as I expect a 0/2 in the next group of songs.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 24th, 2019, 23:31

A relatively unknown single from Liberty X here, Jumpin' is one of my favourites by them. A band that were runner-ups on a talent show and became more successful that the winners, they had a string of good pop hits back in the 00s and their most recognised one is...

The opening words are the pones everyone remembers in this song: "sexy, everything about you so sexy", Just A Little is the second song of Liberty X's on my chart. Two in one go, and only 3 overall. This song is a jam and was over all the pop radio stations.

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon February 25th, 2019, 12:34

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    2/2 for Benny. I'll take that as I expect a 0/2 in the next group of songs.
    Nope! It's 1/2, I like 'Just a Little' (don't know the other one).

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue February 26th, 2019, 12:46

The last song of Pink's that I truly loved was Just Give Me A Reason, it's got a very simple melody and tune but the lyrics are great. Her and Nate Ruess' vocals blend very well together and harmonize to make a great tune.

Now back to a BJ classic, I'd rate Just The Way You Are within my Top 5 Billy Joel songs. Whilst it's not one of his signature hits and is often overshadowed by his other singles off the same album, this song remains very deep and meaningful.

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue February 26th, 2019, 19:36

Not my favourite group of songs I'm afraid!
    Never liked 'Just Give Me a Reason' much.
    Lyrically, 'Just the Way You Are' reminds me a bit of 'She's Always a Woman'. I prefer the latter to the former.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri March 1st, 2019, 07:53

Wow, I could have swore I commented on Carole King, but I've missed your J's completely.

I was introduced to Jolene when someone performed it on American Idol, and I loved it immediately and then I heard Dolly's version and it was so much better. Did you catch her performance at the Grammies?

I love Jar of Hearts, though it has always had kind of amateurish quality about it that I can't put my finger on. Her voice is fantastic though.

Jump is 80s guitar at its finest.

Just Give Me a Reason and Just the Way You Are are classics. You did extremely well with your J's - I don't understand why you include that trash Sweeney Todd song tho