Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Spartan's A-Z Chart / V

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Sun June 9th, 2019, 16:28

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    'They Don't Care About Us' is my favourite MJ song, along with 'Smooth Criminal'. It's not as overplayed as 'Billie Jean' or 'Beat It'.

Regarding the Sparks, I prefer their 90s comeback singles 'When Do I Get to Sing My Way' and 'When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playing)'.
    I genuinely don't know any other Sparks songs so I'll need to check those ones out.

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Sun June 9th, 2019, 16:29

From one of the biggest soundtracks of recent times, this song is vastly underrated on the album. I had never heard Michelle Williams sing before this, but her voice is so beautiful on this song that Tightrope makes for such a good ballad.

A song from one of my favourite movies - the Sidney Poitier classic movie is fantastic and this song tugs at the emotions (especially within the context of the movie). Lulu, who also stars in the movie, delivers a fantastic song in To Sir, With Love.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)

by » Tue June 11th, 2019, 02:16

They Don't Care About Us is on my Spotify top 25 playlist right now. They had a Cirque De Soleil of MJ songs called One in Vegas I went to a few years ago and that was the first time I ever heard it, and just realized how amazing it was!

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Sun June 30th, 2019, 13:35

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    They Don't Care About Us is on my Spotify top 25 playlist right now. They had a Cirque De Soleil of MJ songs called One in Vegas I went to a few years ago and that was the first time I ever heard it, and just realized how amazing it was!
    It's certainly one of his best songs, but I was also very late to party with the song.

Sorry for the delay in this countdown, was on holiday for 2 weeks so just been catching up with everything since then.

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Sun June 30th, 2019, 13:36

An Australian classic from a former Neighbours star (maybe not on the same success level as Kylie or Delta), but Natalie Imburglia's Torn has stood the test of time and still holds up well today. Arguably one of the biggest songs from the 90s, this was a surprising international hit.

A very random boyband entry here. Most of McFly's songs were quite good but fairly generic, until they released this unique treasure. It wasn't a massive hit for them but appreciate them doing something different. Transylvania certainly is a varied tune which combines different musical styles into one song.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

by » Sun June 30th, 2019, 17:27

I like "To Sir With Love", but "Torn" is the one from my least favourite 90s pop hits.
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Legend
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

by » Tue July 9th, 2019, 03:53

"Sunday" was disappointingly meh. "Sweet Caroline" is overexposed, but I can't even be upset about it because it's just so epic. It's the perfect karaoke anthem.

The top "Take on Me" video has more than 900 million views on YouTube! I wasn't expecting that at all. It's an okay song. "Teenage Dream", on the other hand, seems to get better with each passing year. I love how it builds and builds 'til the chorus just explodes like a malfunctioning cotton candy machine.

"Tell Me on a Sunday", if it's indeed the right song I've come across, is a bit boring. "Thank You for the Music" is flawless, and my favourite ABBA song, too. I like that it's your all-time favourite song. It sums up your taste well.

Wow, "The Flood" sounds brilliant! I'm pretty sure you introduced this to me already, but it sounds way better than I remember it! I liked "The Glamorous". The last 90 seconds or so were epic.
    I was ambitious, though I didn’t know exactly what I was shooting for. Now I think it’s one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child – What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something and that’s the end.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)

by » Wed July 10th, 2019, 04:59

Hmm meh on the last two, but I know Torn is a classic for most people.

Transylvania might need to be an addition on my Halloween playlist I mainly know McFly because of their naked Attitude covers.

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Sun July 14th, 2019, 12:45

Quote Originally Posted by LastDreamer View Post
    I like "To Sir With Love", but "Torn" is the one from my least favourite 90s pop hits.
    Really? I thought it would've been right up your alley.

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    "Sunday" was disappointingly meh. "Sweet Caroline" is overexposed, but I can't even be upset about it because it's just so epic. It's the perfect karaoke anthem.

The top "Take on Me" video has more than 900 million views on YouTube! I wasn't expecting that at all. It's an okay song. "Teenage Dream", on the other hand, seems to get better with each passing year. I love how it builds and builds 'til the chorus just explodes like a malfunctioning cotton candy machine.

"Tell Me on a Sunday", if it's indeed the right song I've come across, is a bit boring. "Thank You for the Music" is flawless, and my favourite ABBA song, too. I like that it's your all-time favourite song. It sums up your taste well.

Wow, "The Flood" sounds brilliant! I'm pretty sure you introduced this to me already, but it sounds way better than I remember it! I liked "The Glamorous". The last 90 seconds or so were epic.
    The Take On Me video is iconic, so not surprised to see it have that many views on YouTube. I revisited the whole Teenage Dream album and it was just as great as I recall it being.
    ABBA have so many great song but Thank You For The Music truly embodies what makes them so fantastic a band.
    Glad you enjoyed The Flood - I'm sure you heard it before, and The Glamorous Life is fantastic - Audra McDonald is an incredible record-breaking actress.

Hmm meh on the last two, but I know Torn is a classic for most people.

Transylvania might need to be an addition on my Halloween playlist I mainly know McFly because of their naked Attitude covers.
    You perv.

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Sun July 14th, 2019, 12:45

Throwback to the early 00s for both entries here. The first one is courtesy of UK boyband Blue - they had a solid string of about 15 great singles - some awesome upbeats and some beautiful ballads. This is the former, U Make Me Wanna is an infectious pop number which suits the styling of Blue.

Arguably the biggest hit of the 00s, this countdown couldn't have missed his smash hit. I'm almost inclined to say that this has not aged as well as a lot of people probably thought, but that doesn't stop this from being a truly fantastic single. Umbrella is catchy and Rihanna's voice does what it does best on this song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Sun July 14th, 2019, 19:24

'U Make Me Wanna' is probably my favourite Blue song, great choice!

'Umbrella' still sounds great, I love it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 14:52

'U Make Me Wanna' is probably my favourite Blue song, great choice!

'Umbrella' still sounds great, I love it.
    Excellent choice, it didn't occur to me that you'd be too familiar with Blue - I think Breathe Easy may be my favourite song of theirs but they have many.

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 14:52

Another Rihanna song and the last one on my chart. Unfaithful was the first song by Rihanna that I truly loved - though she had some good ones before that. I'm a sucker for any string-based instrumental so that sold the track to me originally, but I ended up loving it for the whole concept.

Onto an epic saga of a song here. Untouchable is a 7 minute bop-fest from Girls Aloud and highlights everything great about the band. The 45 second opening instrumental sets the scenes for a euphoric tune that showcases each of the ladies' vocals. The obvious highlight being the middle-eight boasting a powerful vocal from Nadine and leading the song into a great final chorus.

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 18:16

'Unfaithful' is beautiful, RiRi does a good (but not great) job singing it.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)

by » Mon July 15th, 2019, 22:18

If you had told me you had a "U" song by RiRi, Unfaithful would have never crossed my mind as the song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 12:38

'Unfaithful' is beautiful, RiRi does a good (but not great) job singing it.
    I've always maintained that the song suits her vocals - her cold, dead vocals.

If you had told me you had a "U" song by RiRi, Unfaithful would have never crossed my mind as the song.
    See the post higher up for her more well-known "U" song. ;)

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 12:38

HRH Natasha Bedingfield's debut album spawned many great songs - the highlight being the titular track. Unwritten is Natasha's legacy, the song she is definitely most well-known for and understandably so - it's incredible.

Muse have had a couple of great songs - arguably they're a band that I need to check out more music from because I enjoy most of what I've heard by them. Uprising encapsulates what the band does best and leads to it being a great, catchy rock song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2019, 18:38

'Unwritten' is my favourite Natasha song, I like it much better than 'These Words'.

I'm not into Muse at all but 'Uprising' is not bad.

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Sun August 11th, 2019, 17:28

Sorry for the delay, been busy with real-life stuff.

Audra McDonald's version of Vanilla Ice Cream from 'She Loves Me' perfectly boasts a combination of theatrical and operatic vocals. Audra herself sounds amazing as ever here and, as this is the only version of the song I'm really familiar with, the song sounds original and unique.

A song that I really have only been into the last couple of years is Ultravox's Vienna. It's a prime example of how to do a synth-pop song well and is one of my favourite tunes of the 80s. It was actually voted the best single to peak at #2 in the UK charts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Sun August 11th, 2019, 19:42

'Vienna' is a great piece of 80s synth-pop.

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Tue August 20th, 2019, 11:21

Though I was always prone to the odd Coldplay song, this era of theirs was the one that solidified my appreciation for the band. Viva La Vida is a fantastic, epic rock song. The catchy, anthemic chorus is matched by some great verses and solid lyrics. Definitely the highlight of their discography.

Coldplay's best song followed by one of Madge's. I'd argue that this is her most iconic song in her vast career. Understandably so as well, Vogue is iconic - not just because of its video but the fact that it's a defining pop song in the history of music.

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Tue August 20th, 2019, 11:46

'Vogue' is indeed iconic as f***!

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Wed August 21st, 2019, 11:46

'Vogue' is indeed iconic as f***!
    Yes it is!

Legend
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

by » Wed August 21st, 2019, 11:46

Totally here for a female-led rock song - Voodoo Child was a hit for Rogue Traders. Following in the footsteps of previous Neighbours stars Minogue, Imbruglia and Goodrem, Natalie Bassingthwaighte is the lead singer in this band and she has the husky, powerful voice to suit the song.

Yes, I know I've misspelt the song title in my graphic, woops. Voulez-Vous is one of the many ABBA tracks that have remained iconic to this day. Although I'd only put it in the bottom half of my top ten ABBA songs, it's still a fantastic song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

by » Wed August 21st, 2019, 18:40

I was waiting for 'Voulez-Vous' to appear.
    Such a great track, already 40 years old!