Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Spartan's A-Z Chart / finished

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Tue August 27th, 2019, 14:45

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    I was waiting for 'Voulez-Vous' to appear.
    Such a great track, already 40 years old!
    40 years old, that make me feel old.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Tue August 27th, 2019, 14:45

Their first major single, and arguably the only one that they are truly remembered for - We Are Young was very unique for it's time. It combined great musicality with the soft, vocal stylistics of Nate Ruess. It helps that this is arguably one of the catchiest songs of the last 10 years.

From the 10s to the 70s and another catchy rock song. I only really discovered Werewolves of London through the magic of Glee and I appreciated its quirkiness and appeal of the song. Then I discovered the original and it's just as good - not sure how well known a song it is for the general public but it's great.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Tue September 3rd, 2019, 11:59

'We Are Young' is good, a bit overrated but still nice!
    Definitely at the time, it was overrated but I feel like it's been long enough now for everyone to bask in its awesomeness.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Tue September 3rd, 2019, 11:59

A 90s throwback to a song I only really discovered through a TV show: Sense8. Not quite sure how I wasn't aware of this song before - it is so catchy and iconic. What's Up holds the sentimental place in my heart due to my fondness for the TV show as well as my appreciation for how infectious it is.

From the poppy 90s to the psychedelic 60s, this tune by Jefferson Airplane is one of my all-time faves. White Rabbit is lyrically inspired by one of my favourite novels: Alice in Wonderland. Combine that with the catchy tune of the song, and you have a killer track.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Wed September 4th, 2019, 12:50

Two songs with identical titles incoming. Both are album tracks and both are from two of my favourite artists of the 00s. The first one being Girl's Aloud's Wild Horses - an upbeat, pop number with a choral intro that quickly escalates into a fast-paced, energetic bop.

On the contrary Natasha Bedingfield's Wild Horses is quite the opposite. A gritty ballad where Natasha's vibrato and raw tones get to be highlighted very well. A shame this song was never picked to be a single but I like that it remains as one of my favourite tracks from a fantastic album.

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

by Wed September 4th, 2019, 20:24

'What's Up' is indeed a very iconic 90s song, great choice!

Legend
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)

by Wed September 11th, 2019, 02:38

"The Promise" is gorgeous! It sounds better now than I remember it being. "The River" is similarly strong, though I must say that "I'm Not Giving Up" is my favourite track from that LP. Also, whenever I hear a song with river in its lyrics, I go back to Ella Henderson's "Ghost" (I keep going to the river to pray...)

"They Don't Care About Us" is epic, one of MJ's finest! I didn't enjoy "This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us".

I'm a sucker for big theatrical moments, and "Tightrope" certainly had a lot of that baked into its production. My mother and I love the To Sir with Love film, so the song has a special place in my library for its ties to the movie, and for the fact that it's one of the classics both my mom and I adore. It has this really timeless sound, too.

"Torn" is perfect for when I'm in my 'over it' moods. Classic track! I love the melodrama of "Transylvania".

"U Make Me Wanna" is such cheesy bubblegum pop. It isn't bad, though. I absolutely disagree with your comment regarding "Umbrella" not having aged well; I think it's aged brilliantly, and it's probably still my favourite Rihanna song after all these years.

Eh, "Unfaithful" is good, but it may be RiRi's most overrated single, in my opinion. "Untouchable" is this otherworldly piece of pop excellence. It's officially my top GA song.

"Unwritten" is good, but NB has better. "Uprising", on the other hand, is the best thing Muse have done.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)

by Wed September 11th, 2019, 02:59

Where the hell is Janelle on your We Are Young graphic?

Her omission aside, I love that song! The first time I heard it was on Glee, and then it kind of exploded after that a couple months later. Too bad fun didn't stick around for more hits (and too bad this is Janelle's only top ten appearance - a crime.)

Werewolves of London is an annual tradition for me when I start up my Halloween playlist in October. Some of the song son that list are tired, but I don't get sick of that one. Those lyrics are nuts. His hair was perfect.

Her name escapes me (Linda Perry?) but I think the lead singer of What's Up as penned a whole bunch of hits for other people.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Wed September 11th, 2019, 14:15

'What's Up' is indeed a very iconic 90s song, great choice!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    "The Promise" is gorgeous! It sounds better now than I remember it being. "The River" is similarly strong, though I must say that "I'm Not Giving Up" is my favourite track from that LP. Also, whenever I hear a song with river in its lyrics, I go back to Ella Henderson's "Ghost" (I keep going to the river to pray...)

"They Don't Care About Us" is epic, one of MJ's finest! I didn't enjoy "This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us".

I'm a sucker for big theatrical moments, and "Tightrope" certainly had a lot of that baked into its production. My mother and I love the To Sir with Love film, so the song has a special place in my library for its ties to the movie, and for the fact that it's one of the classics both my mom and I adore. It has this really timeless sound, too.

"Torn" is perfect for when I'm in my 'over it' moods. Classic track! I love the melodrama of "Transylvania".

"U Make Me Wanna" is such cheesy bubblegum pop. It isn't bad, though. I absolutely disagree with your comment regarding "Umbrella" not having aged well; I think it's aged brilliantly, and it's probably still my favourite Rihanna song after all these years.

Eh, "Unfaithful" is good, but it may be RiRi's most overrated single, in my opinion. "Untouchable" is this otherworldly piece of pop excellence. It's officially my top GA song.

"Unwritten" is good, but NB has better. "Uprising", on the other hand, is the best thing Muse have done.
    I honestly didn't think you'd have seen the To Sir, With Love movie but so glad to hear that you have and that you enjoyed it. I dare someone to watch it and not feel something, it resonates so well.

The whole Delta album is fantastic, there's not one song on there that I don't enjoy. Obviously I knew you'd be a sucker for Untouchable. Aside from PFOS (which I know you love), I thought Unwritten would be your favourite NB song. I think it's the overexposure of Umbrella that has taken away some of its charm for me. I genuinely thought most Rihanna fans hated Unfaithful.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    Where the hell is Janelle on your We Are Young graphic?

Her omission aside, I love that song! The first time I heard it was on Glee, and then it kind of exploded after that a couple months later. Too bad fun didn't stick around for more hits (and too bad this is Janelle's only top ten appearance - a crime.)

Werewolves of London is an annual tradition for me when I start up my Halloween playlist in October. Some of the song son that list are tired, but I don't get sick of that one. Those lyrics are nuts. His hair was perfect.

Her name escapes me (Linda Perry?) but I think the lead singer of What's Up as penned a whole bunch of hits for other people.
    Yes, it is Linda Perry. I know she did What You Waiting For, and just looked her up - so much more.

And great to see someone else know Werewolves of London.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Wed September 11th, 2019, 14:30

As you can tell, one of my favourite artists Delta is. Her Wings of the Wild album is one of my favourites, and lead single Wings is fantastic by Delta standards - an uptempo with a variety of instruments used. Combine this with some fierce vocals and you got a great song. Special shout-out to her live performance of this on The Voice AU, which was stunning.

We're going from my favourite female post-2000, to my favourite female pre-2000 with some classic Babs. Arguably Streisand's most well-known song, Woman In Love was written by Barry and Robin Gibb and remains a timeless classic until today that showcases the powerhouse vocals of Streisand and is a perfect example of why she is so successful.

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

by Wed September 11th, 2019, 21:07

'Wings' is great, definitely among Delta's better songs.

'Woman in Love' is outstanding, Streisand's fantastic vocal performance together with the exceptional songwriting skills of the Bee Gees were a unique combination.

Legend
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)

by Mon September 16th, 2019, 05:41

Ah, I adored "Vanilla Ice-cream"! Great vocals! "Vienna" is kinda boring.

"Viva la Vida" is one of the best songs ever recorded; I'm quite obsessed with it really. "Vogue" is an undeniable pop classic that is fun to watch others dance to in a club.

"Voodoo Child" was underwhelming. "Voulez-Vous" is a bop!
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Mon September 16th, 2019, 12:35

'Wings' is great, definitely among Delta's better songs.

'Woman in Love' is outstanding, Streisand's fantastic vocal performance together with the exceptional songwriting skills of the Bee Gees were a unique combination.
    Glad you liked both songs.

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    Ah, I adored "Vanilla Ice-cream"! Great vocals! "Vienna" is kinda boring.

"Viva la Vida" is one of the best songs ever recorded; I'm quite obsessed with it really. "Vogue" is an undeniable pop classic that is fun to watch others dance to in a club.

"Voodoo Child" was underwhelming. "Voulez-Vous" is a bop!
    VLV is certainly epic by every aspect. Glad you loved Vanilla Ice Cream as well.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Mon September 16th, 2019, 12:36

Back in the 00s, there were rock and indie acts aplenty but very few had songs that stood the test of time. One of the ones that did was James Morrison and this is one of my favourite tracks of his, Wonderful World. I really enjoy the tones of his voice here - they're simultaneously soft and powerful.

Another album track here from Take That, and another one to feature Jason Orange's vocals. Wooden Boat is a heartbreaking little ballad which sounds very folk-like. Beautiful vocals on Jason's first ever lead track for the band and does an excellent job making this a memorable track.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Tue September 17th, 2019, 12:26

I said no more Liberty X songs but I needed a second song beginning with X and this was the only one i could find in my library that I enjoy. X is off the same-titles album and I actually really enjoy it. It's a cool piece of pop trash music.

My favourite song beginning with X now is the legendary Xanadu by ELO and ONJ. Newton-John has a plethora of hits but this is in my top three by her (not a massive fan of Grease to be honest). Electric Light Orchestra add their signature sound to Olivia's vocals and create a memorable tune.

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

by Tue September 17th, 2019, 13:05

I knew that Xanadu would be one of your X songs!
    Amazing tune, probably my favourite one by Olivia.

Legend
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)

by Tue September 17th, 2019, 13:24

I love this remix of Xanadu mainly because I love the epicness of the intro:

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Wed September 18th, 2019, 14:01

I knew that Xanadu would be one of your X songs!
    Amazing tune, probably my favourite one by Olivia.
    Well I couldn't think of any more X songs.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    I love this remix of Xanadu mainly because I love the epicness of the intro:

Yes, just checked it out and love that intro.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Wed September 18th, 2019, 14:02

One of the biggest bands in the UK in the 00s were Busted, there was such hype around them. They even hype themselves up quite a bit in this song, predicting what the Year 3000 holds in store for us. It's a catchy pop-rock tune - very of its time but still holds up well to date.

Now we're headed all the way back to the mid 60s with some vintage Beatles. Even though the band have many memorable songs, I'd definitely put this in their Top 5 of most well-known songs and, according to Guiness World Records, it's the second most-covered song of all-time. Understandably so as Yesterday is a beautifully melodic tune.

Legend
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)

by Wed September 18th, 2019, 14:46

The Beatles

Well, it's not Coldplay. It's not Fix You. The nerve.

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

by Wed September 18th, 2019, 16:09

Two great choices!

I love Busted's first two singles, 'Year 3000' a bit more than 'What I Go to School for'.
    'Yesterday' is, of course, one of the most legendary song of all time. I also enjoyed the movie.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Fri September 20th, 2019, 12:36

Two great choices!

I love Busted's first two singles, 'Year 3000' a bit more than 'What I Go to School for'.
    'Yesterday' is, of course, one of the most legendary song of all time. I also enjoyed the movie.
    Year 3000 was miles better than WIGTSF. Other good songs by them: Crashed The Wedding, Sleeping With The Light On, Thunderbirds Are Go (guilty pleasure).

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by Fri September 20th, 2019, 12:39

The last song on this countdown from Hamilton (I promise). Interweaving previous songs from the musical Yorktown is an epic song from the first act of the show. There's a Broadway version available on YouTube to check out and you can see how incredible the staging and choreography is in it. It just builds so much tension and climaxes incredibly at the end.

A band that I actually know little about and don't know many songs from. This one has always been a favourite of mine. You Can't Always Get What You Want has been used in many films and TV shows - which is why I feel I've always been familiar with the song. It's a long one but I love the different styles of music used in it.