X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spartan
    Moderator and Site Supporter
    • 28 Feb 2009

Originally posted by JSparksFan
    "We Are Young" is such a big, booming, anthemic piece of pop/rock. fun. haven't done anything nearly as impressive for me. "Werewolves of London" is meh.

"What's Up?" is a terrific song on its own merit, but that Sense8 association catapults it to a pretty special place in my music library. The vocals on "White Rabbit" sound very Florench Welch-esque. I like it!

GA's "Wild Horses" is decent, but I really like Natasha's "Wild Horses". I think it's one of her stronger songs.

"Wings" is terrific, though I do love another "Wings" more (Little Mix's). "Woman in Love" is lovely. At one point, it was among my top three Barbra ballads, but it's fallen a bit since then.

"Wonderful World" is a strong song! I feel like I've heard someone else cover it equally as impressively, though, but I can't remember who. "Wooden Boat" is boring, bordering on sleep-inducing actually.
    I think I need to give Sense8 a rewatch at some point, what a great show that was. I suppose Woman In Love does fall down the rankings when we discover her extensive discography.

Comment

• Spartan
      • 28 Feb 2009

A classic from Queen here, probably not one of their most well-known songs but a classic nonetheless. You're My Best Friend is quite dissimilar from other Queen songs - fairly different musical stylings from the rest of the album it appears on.

From one of my favourite albums of all-time, Carole King delivers a fantastic ballad called You've Got A Friend. It's quite a heartwarming song, Carole's lovely vocals match a melodic tune to create a great song.

Comment

• Spartan
        • 28 Feb 2009

Last two songs of this chart, from two artists (with relatively unknown songs) who appear only here.

Jazz singer Jamie Cullum releases a great album in 2005, full of hidden, underappreciated gems. This one was one of my favourites - 21st Century Kid is a delightful song with very poignant lyrics. I feel they can probably resonate with most people, played along with a jazz tune and Jamie's distinct vocals makes for a good song.

A song from one of my favourite musicals. I implore everyone to see Come From Away - you can't not feel emotion watching it (yes, even though it's a musical based on the affects of 9/11 to a small Canadian town). There's a couple of standout songs in the show but this is my highlight - 38 Planes is contains quite a lot of exposition but manages to still hold its own and be a great song severed from the musical.

Comment

• Spartan
          • 28 Feb 2009

Thanks to everyone who took their time out to comment on my elongated chart, and to those who checked out some songs they didn't know before!

Artists with the most appearances in my chart:

Girls Aloud / 10
          Delta Goodrem / 9
          ABBA / 7
          The Saturdays / 6
          Natasha Bedingfield / 5
          'Hamilton' soundtrack / 5
          Rihanna / 5
          Take That / 5
          Billy Joel / 4
          Madonna / 4
          Sugababes / 4

I didn't realise how 00s-centric it was but I suppose that was my main era of listening to music.

Comment

• cheapthrills
            Administrator and Site Supporter
            • 08 Jul 2016

It's all over.

Thanks for the thread. Found some songs I really enjoyed believe it or not. ;)

Comment

• Spartan
              • 28 Feb 2009

Originally posted by cheapthrills
              It's all over.
              UKMIX will just die now.

Comment

• Benny
                Legend
                • 20 Dec 2009

Thank you Pete for an amazing countdown!

Comment

• JSparksFan
                  • 24 Jul 2009

"X" is basic. "Xanadu" is fun! I liked it! It's the best thing I've heard from Olivia Newton-John.

"Year 3000" is basic, but decent. I don't mind it. "Yesterday" is brilliant, one of my all-time favourite classics. Interestingly enough, Whitney Houston has gone on record saying it's her favourite song ever.

"Yorktown" is okay, but not in the same league as "My Shot". The Glee Cast did a much better job than the Rolling Stones with "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

"You Get What You Give" has such a catchy, 'chanty' chorus that I love. "You Will Be Found" is beautiful; it feels very Glee-esque.

"You're My Best Friend" isn't quite one of my top Queen tracks, but I like it still. "Heartwarming" is a pretty fair descriptor for "You've Got a Friend".

Tonally, "21st Century Kid" is the most depressing song I've heard all week. "38 Planes..." is good.

Fantastic countdown overall, Pete! Thanks for taking the time to put it together, and actually completing it!
                  Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [#7]
                  Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Beautiful Things
                  AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. The Libertines]
                  Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Katy Perry vs. No Doubt]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

Working...