Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robyn - Honey

Legend
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 19-09-18, 01:22

Robyn is finally gearing up to release her song Honey after premiering an earlier version of the track on HBO's Girls 18 months ago. She filmed a music video for the track today, so expect to hear things in the near(ish) future.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 22-09-18, 20:53

Quote Originally Posted by The New York Times

IN THE END, Robyn couldn’t have called the new album anything but “Honey.” You may have heard the name of that song as early as 2017, when it underscored a scene on “Girls.” The show’s creator and star, Ms. Dunham, had reached out to see if Robyn would contribute music to the final season; Robyn sent her options, and an early, busier, techno-ier version of “Honey” was the winner. Fans seized on the song immediately and started demanding that Robyn finish it: Variations on #ReleaseHoneyDammit became a running online plea and gag.

Robyn saw the messages. But she was far from done with “Honey.” The track became a white whale for her: She just couldn’t put it down.

Though she’s written many songs that stand at the crossroads of pop and club music, Robyn knew where she wanted “Honey” to be planted. “It’s not produced or written as a normal pop song,” she said. “It is totally based on this idea of club music.” Both genres come with their own mode of listening, she argued. “When you’re listening to club music, there’s no reward,” she said. “The reward isn’t, ‘Oh, here’s the chorus, here’s the lyric that makes sense.’ You have to enjoy what it is. You have to enjoy that there’s no conclusion.”

“Club music taught me so much about myself,” she added. “Having patience, or appreciating a different type of way of taking in life. That to me is like, what ‘Off the Wall’ is. Or ‘I Feel Love’ or ‘Rock Your Baby’ with George McCrae.” (She later added Kate Bush’s “Running Up That Hill” to the list.) “It’s a hypnotic thing. Time stops, and I don’t even think about where I am when I hear music like that. That’s the high that I want,” she said, and laughed heartily. “That’s what I need.”

Robyn worked on “Honey” longer than any other song she’s ever written and “really drove Joseph and Klas crazy,” she said.

Mr. Mount compared it to the endless making of the Beatles’ “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer.” But “It felt like the linchpin of the whole thing,” he added.

She had played me the song in March, and she blasted it at the Robyn dance party following her Q. and A. in New York in May. But this was August: “Honey” had evolved.

Robyn hurried into her home studio (pink floor, mirrored wall, snapshot of herself and Danny DeVito at Coachella over the desk), then dashed off into another room and returned, ripping the packaging off a brand-new pair of headphones. She bent over a pair of digital turntables, her eyes closed, adjusting knobs and dancing in place. She played a Michael Jackson remix, and “Purple Music,” an unreleased Prince song from 1982. “What’s a better way to spend a Saturday?” she asked.

When it was time for “Honey,” she turned the volume up even higher and fiddled at the mixer for a bit, then sat down on a gold chair.

The song’s woozy cocoon enveloped us, its heartbeat thumping in our hair, our nails, our feet. Sounds strutted across the room, some joining the blend, some ghosting as quickly as they arrived. “No, you’re not gonna get what you need,” her voice sang from the speakers. “But baby, I have what you want. Come get your honey.” It was overwhelming, gauzy and beautiful.

It was its own reward.
    Sauce

Legend
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 26-09-18, 14:53

Premieres this evening. Should be on streaming services etc shortly after.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the underworld
    Where the love's at first sight
    The kind that we like
    Under, under, under, underworld

Superstar
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the way we've worked so hard. Baby, you look at me, you're my Superstar | My last.fm

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 26-09-18, 20:18

It's totally different from the earlier version but I like that this one is just chill and atmospheric.

Legend
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 26-09-18, 20:20

I love ‘Honey’, not heard the other song yet.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 26-09-18, 20:49

Honey >>>>>>>>>> Missing U

This is a hit! In a subtle way. It‘s for the quiet and sesual moments.

Impeccable.
    I love the way we've worked so hard. Baby, you look at me, you're my Superstar | My last.fm

Legend
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 26-09-18, 22:47

It's not as exciting as I hoped it would be after all the critical acclaim.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 26-09-18, 23:01

wow! if the album is in this style, I will defo get the LP! Subtle, gentle piece of electronic music. I love it!

Legend
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 26-09-18, 23:25

too long, 4 minutes would have been enough
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-09-18, 04:38

Quote Originally Posted by jszmiles
    wow! if the album is in this style, I will defo get the LP! Subtle, gentle piece of electronic music. I love it!
    Agreed

Superstar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-09-18, 06:07

talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show-stopping, spectacular, totally unique

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-09-18, 10:46

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    too long, 4 minutes would have been enough
    You can use the radio edit then.

Incredible song. I love how immersive the production feels. Robyn's better than ever (and slightly distant) vocals only make it better.

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-09-18, 10:54

This time around her songs are not quite as instant for me. It took me a few listens to fall in love with Missing You.

First listen of Honey and I wasn’t too overwhelmed. Just finished my second listen and it’s absolutely gorgeous.

It’s just taking a little while longer for the songs to click than usual but they’re fab. God I love Robyn.
    Remember us in AmenJena...

...If we could just go back to the start

Legend
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-09-18, 11:09

BEST NEW TRACK

Before its proper release today, “Honey” was a thing of legend—long-rumored and wondered-about after an early version of the track closed an episode of “Girls” a year and a half ago. That tease, and others, ignited the imaginations of Robyn’s fans, an unusually benevolent clique who are nonetheless used to hearing what they want to hear right fucking now: Soon enough, #ReleaseHoneyDammit became a slogan to rally around. But Robyn does not capitulate. She knows what she needs to do, and works on her time and no one else’s. It’s right there in this song’s opening lines: “No, you’re not gonna get what you need/But baby, I have what you want.”

So this “Honey” is not the same one from “Girls,” not quite. There’s more air, more room for her voice to echo and decay into the void. It’s still a Robyn Banger—a souped-up distillation of classic house’s bittersweet throb and wail—but its sights are set both further and deeper; instead of a perfect snapshot of a single tear on the dancefloor, “Honey” unfurls like a sweeping vista of desire. There is an undeniable lust here, powerful in its maturity. The Ohio Players and Mariah Carey have schooled us on the sexiness of honey, and metaphysical lines here about a flower “stuck in little strings of saliva” make you wonder what’s happening just outside of the frame on Robyn’s new album cover. “Honey” is also about the primal pleasure of music, of a bass-kick heartbeat that sounds like it’ll never stop. Robyn once again offers us immortality, at least for a few minutes.
    Completely deserved.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-09-18, 12:06

This works for me. A LOT.

I was a bit scared because when Honey first premiered on Girls it sounded like crap to me. Luckily this has nothing to do with whatever she provided them with back then.

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-09-18, 14:58

wow, good to see a positive review on Pitchfork. Didn't expect them to like it.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-09-18, 15:59

Quote Originally Posted by jszmiles
    wow, good to see a positive review on Pitchfork. Didn't expect them to like it.
    Pitchfork has been stanning Robyn since forever. No surprise there. Even if it wasn't BNT they would still give her a good review.

Robyn 8.2
    Body Talk Pt. 1 8.5
    Body Talk Pt. 2 8.0
    Body Talk 8.7

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 27-09-18, 16:50

This will be her grown-up atmospheric album with no obvious hits.