Thread: Mariah Carey - Caution

Superstar
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

by » Sun November 17th, 2019, 22:45

Still can't believe Caution wasn't released as a single. The best song on the album by far IMO.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

by » Sun November 17th, 2019, 23:48

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    Still can't believe Caution wasn't released as a single. The best song on the album by far IMO.
    A tragedy. They could have just pushed it at radio without making a vid if they wanted to be extra stingy with the promo $$.

Legend
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 00:06

Perhaps if it garners a couple Grammy nods and there is renewed interest, they'd re-release or invest in another round of promo

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 03:38

Should’ve been the first single. It would have set the tone for the whole era and more people could’ve seen how good this album was.

This era was definitely the comeback of MARIAH CAREY - the legendary artist. The album itself, the cover, promo pics, interviews, performances (How good she looked!!!!) were all top notch. Sis really came back with this and I don’t think y’all appreciate it enough.
    Last edited by TheRealest; Mon November 18th, 2019 at 03:42.

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 09:46

Not when The Distance exists.

Legend
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 21:18

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlu84 View Post
    Caution with what you say there. That song is a distance behind when it comes to Caution.
    Now, proceed with caution with your next comment.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Manager
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Tue November 19th, 2019, 13:09

Caution with what you say there. That song is a distance behind when it comes to Caution.
    Now, proceed with caution with your next comment.

That's a No No

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Wed November 20th, 2019, 17:25

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealest View Post
    This era was definitely the comeback of MARIAH CAREY - the legendary artist. The album itself, the cover, promo pics, interviews, performances (How good she looked!!!!) were all top notch. Sis really came back with this and I don’t think y’all appreciate it enough.
    Pouring some tea right here. Absolutely agree.

Manager
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)

by » Wed November 20th, 2019, 17:49

This definitely deserved a R&B album nom, but I think the voting period and the fact that this was released last year really hindered its chances

Legend
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by » Wed November 20th, 2019, 18:31

This proves and Beyoncé’s 4 proves that the lead single can make or break an albums era.
    This deserved so much more.
    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

by » Wed November 20th, 2019, 18:58

At least someone bumped this, should help stop the venting in the charts thread.

Legend
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)

by » Wed November 20th, 2019, 19:35

Giving me Life is my song of 2018 and 2019. OMG.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 00:13

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlu84 View Post
    I agree with you. Especially since Caution is kind of a rehash. The Distance is superior.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 17:51

Rehash of what?

Legend
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 11:15

Quote Originally Posted by Preyoncé View Post
    This proves and Beyoncé’s 4 proves that the lead single can make or break an albums era.
    This deserved so much more.
    Well, the problem is that she didn't have the best singles to generate her comeback. If only she could generate a good live performance for "Caution", maybe she could have cracked the lower half of the Hot 100 at least. Toni's album flopped too (it didn't even have 10K in first week sales) but "Long as I Live" was strong enough to give her good mileage for Grammy contention. Not to mention, its video stands currently with 50 million views, she reignited R&B fan interest with that one over any 2018 R&B song from a female vet (even if we combine "GTFO", "With You", and the three "A No No" videos). If you really have a solid R&B song, you'll be fine as a vet.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 11:27

Performances don’t do anything for songs by veteran artists. She needed to 1. Actually release and promote a single to mainstream radio formats and larger rhythmic/urban stations and 2. She needed to actually engage with streaming platforms to get her songs on bigger playlists. That didn’t happen so there was no way could crack the Hot 100.

One single was promoted to adult R&B radio and it did well there. If their focus was solely adult R&B then they should have backed up “With You” with another single promoted and pushed at adult R&B formats like “With You”.

The budget simply wasn’t there for much more than what we got and that’s the bottom line.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 15:01

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealest View Post
    Rehash of what?
    Post Malone 92 Explorer, its practically the same song. Posties came first.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 15:04

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Performances don’t do anything for songs by veteran artists. She needed to 1. Actually release and promote a single to mainstream radio formats and larger rhythmic/urban stations and 2. She needed to actually engage with streaming platforms to get her songs on bigger playlists. That didn’t happen so there was no way could crack the Hot 100.

One single was promoted to adult R&B radio and it did well there. If their focus was solely adult R&B then they should have backed up “With You” with another single promoted and pushed at adult R&B formats like “With You”.

The budget simply wasn’t there for much more than what we got and that’s the bottom line.
    But according to chart experts all she had to do have done was released both songs on friday instead of thursday and POW she would have have had two minor hits.

Also at this point in her career, mainstream radio is not going to play her. It is not as easy as saying oh, she should have sent a song to mainstream radio. She does not choose who plays her, they do, and they wont.

The budget excuse makes no sense to me, Mariah has enough money to funnel some of her own into it. If that is all it would take for more success you would think she would just do it. I highly doubt it is just a question of more money = more success/sales.
    Last edited by InFamous; Sat November 23rd, 2019 at 15:06.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by » Sun November 24th, 2019, 03:14

Quote Originally Posted by InFamous View Post
    Post Malone 92 Explorer, its practically the same song. Posties came first.
    A similar beat doesn’t make it a rehash but ok sus

Manager
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by » Sun November 24th, 2019, 03:16

How about you... get the f out?

Manager
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by » Sun November 24th, 2019, 03:30

Ever since the Einstein era, Mariah/her label really missed a lot of opportunity in terms of releasing the right songs as singles.

Einstein: Migrate, Side Effects, I'm That Chick should have been singles.
    Memoirs: If they really wanted a ballad, I think Betcha Gon Know or Angels Cry (solo) would have done better than IWTKWLI.
    MIAM: Thirsty, Meteorite, Faded and YDKWTD were the obvious choices. Money would be a good choice too but it's way too repetitive.
    Caution: Caution should have been the lead single instead of With You and A No No was a great choice but there was literally no promo for the song except for the music videos and remixes. The remixes were not bad, I actually enjoyed them but it would have done better if the featuring acts were more known. The Distance should have been a single.

But it is what it is. If I were to expect success every album she releases, I will just be disappointed. I'm just happy the Queen is still serving us HIGH QUALITY music.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Sun November 24th, 2019, 05:19

Quote Originally Posted by Marchum View Post
    How about you... get the f out?
    Take your things and be on your merry way ! Great track.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

by » Sun November 24th, 2019, 05:22

Quote Originally Posted by musiclover2174 View Post
    Ever since the Einstein era, Mariah/her label really missed a lot of opportunity in terms of releasing the right songs as singles.

Einstein: Migrate, Side Effects, I'm That Chick should have been singles.
    Memoirs: If they really wanted a ballad, I think Betcha Gon Know or Angels Cry (solo) would have done better than IWTKWLI.
    MIAM: Thirsty, Meteorite, Faded and YDKWTD were the obvious choices. Money would be a good choice too but it's way too repetitive.
    Caution: Caution should have been the lead single instead of With You and A No No was a great choice but there was literally no promo for the song except for the music videos and remixes. The remixes were not bad, I actually enjoyed them but it would have done better if the featuring acts were more known. The Distance should have been a single.

But it is what it is. If I were to expect success every album she releases, I will just be disappointed. I'm just happy the Queen is still serving us HIGH QUALITY music.
    this were her last non christmas top 20 hit in the UK so it was definitely the right choice for that particular market