Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Martika - Martika (1988)

  1. #1
    RayRay's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    15,043
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

    by Thu October 18th, 2018, 13:52

    18 October 1988 Martika's debut album was released.

    Though 30 years old, it is still one of my alltime favorite albums.
    My Instagram... - Click here

  2. #2

    by Fri October 19th, 2018, 18:28

    I had Water stuck in my head yesterday!
    Not one of my faves, but one of the first albums I bought. I remember thinking at the time that basically every song could have been a single, which I still believe.
    Faves: Toy soldiers, See if I care, Cross my heart


  3. #3
    GetBack's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    11 Jun 2010
    Location
    Netflix
    Posts
    32,263
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

    by Sat October 20th, 2018, 04:09

    I enjoyed "Coloured Kisses" which I think was from another album. I'm going to check out this one!

  4. #4
    RayRay's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    15,043
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

    by Sat October 20th, 2018, 07:36

    Quote Originally Posted by GetBack
    I enjoyed "Coloured Kisses" which I think was from another album. I'm going to check out this one!
    This one includes her #1 hit Toy Soldiers.
    My Instagram... - Click here

  5. #5
    AndiIversen's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    18 Mar 2012
    Location
    Gold coast / Chicago
    Posts
    18,468
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

    by Tue July 9th, 2019, 04:59

    I thought for sure she was gonna be bigger , or at least I wanted her to

  6. #6
    RayRay's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    15,043
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

    by Tue July 9th, 2019, 20:01

    ^ So did I.
    I think she couldn't handle fame and everything that comes with it.
    If she had gone on making records, she could have grown to become bigger.
    She wrote some beautiful songs. And her voice is very strong.
    She had a lot going for her.
    My Instagram... - Click here

  7. #7

    by Wed July 17th, 2019, 03:01

    I used to spin this cd nonstop, was a great debut album!
    Martika said in various interviews she originally intended to take a few months break and come back, but the years
    passed by and she got married etc.
    In the past 2-3 years she's performing in 80s concerts along with former 80s stars.
    Last year I think she had a tour in Australia with Limahl.
    You Love The 90's Dance Era?
    http://www.1.fm/station/partyzone90s

  8. #8
    RayRay's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    15,043
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

    by Wed July 17th, 2019, 22:52

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohanna View Post
    I used to spin this cd nonstop, was a great debut album!
    Martika said in various interviews she originally intended to take a few months break and come back, but the years
    passed by and she got married etc.
    In the past 2-3 years she's performing in 80s concerts along with former 80s stars.
    Last year I think she had a tour in Australia with Limahl.
    Her second album Martika's Kitchen is just as brilliant as her first album.
    I believe she toured the UK with other 80s stars after Australia.
    My Instagram... - Click here

  9. #9
    Madgefan's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    19 May 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,535
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    by Wed July 17th, 2019, 23:11

    Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    Her second album Martika's Kitchen is just as brilliant as her first album.
    I believe she toured the UK with other 80s stars after Australia.
    Yes, I also have that one. Some of the songs Prince wrote for her. I'm not sure what happened after that as I don't have any more of her music.
    It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
    But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

  10. #10
    RayRay's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    15,043
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

    by Wed July 17th, 2019, 23:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Madgefan View Post
    Yes, I also have that one. Some of the songs Prince wrote for her. I'm not sure what happened after that as I don't have any more of her music.
    She quit making music for some time. Then she made an album called Oppera with her husband, which is such a different genre, I didn't like it at all. She started touring in 2016 (Australia/UK) with other 80s stars. She said in an interview it was the first time since the early 90s she sang her hits again.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •