User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which songs from the album should be future singles?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • imagine

2 8.70%
  • needy

1 4.35%
  • NASA

5 21.74%
  • bloodline

19 82.61%
  • fake smile

7 30.43%
  • bad idea

10 43.48%
  • make up

0 0%
  • ghostin

10 43.48%
  • in my head

2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Ariana Grande - thank u, next

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-02-19, 12:52

As much as I was so annoyed with her the past week, this album grew on me tons after a proper listen on the way home, especially after I lambasted it and moved on from her issues (and mine).

How did she manage to deliver such a strong record in such a short working period? It's crazy how all songs are really good, and there are no 'skippable' tracks in my opinion. Singleswise, Sweetener has the better and catchier set, but overall, thank u, next is a much more cohesive and stronger record as a whole.

Months ago, she was just going thru a hiatus due to what happened to Mac and her issues with Pete, and now, all of a sudden, we now have the frontrunner for the 2020 Best Pop Vocal Album. She could seriously go back to back this time, and I'm sure winning that Grammy last night will make her reconsider toning down her attitude to get at least a proper acknowledgement from the Academy (which I think was their plan for her, if we were to look back at that fiasco with the production).

There's no stopping her really, she's only 25 but she has shown so much promise as an pop/R&B artist. She doesn't just have a great team and production but she has the vocals to deliver and further herself in the game.

I can't even properly figure out which should be the next single. All of the songs are ready for domination. "Needy" and "Ghostin" should definitely see the light of day. This album is so good that I wouldn't even mind if she suddenly released another one by the end of the year.
    I've got so much love
    Got so much patience
    I've learned from the pain
    I turned out amazing

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-02-19, 13:07

The important thing @GetBack is that you now see the album for what it is! An awesome body of work. I've been playing this sooooo much and it gets better and better. Don't want to skip any track!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-02-19, 13:43

NASA needs to be a single. Rest she can keep.
    Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-02-19, 15:21

Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt View Post
    This really sounds like a mixtape, tho.
    I'm VERY curious to see what is y'all definition on something sounding like a "mixtape".
    Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Cuz you ugly and can't relate

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-02-19, 03:17

Quote Originally Posted by spiritboy View Post
    Do you think they'll nominate her after this year's drama?

She is clearly going to be there for

AOTY
    ROTY
    SOTY
    POP VOC
    POP ALBUM

without even trying
    Forever Young

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-02-19, 06:00

Quote Originally Posted by ThaInfo1 View Post
    I'm VERY curious to see what is y'all definition on something sounding like a "mixtape".
    Same

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-02-19, 07:23

This is her first album that I’ve been able to play start to finish.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-02-19, 09:37

But one song, which title I don't remember, it's a definition of a boring album for me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 02:38

The album got a 7.9 from Pitchfork, making it Ari's second highest rated album from them (behind Sweetener​ which they gave an 8.1).

Released five months after the catharsis of Sweetener, these songs of affirmation feel lighter, freer, and more fun, carried effortlessly by Grande’s undeniable voice.

In 2016, Ariana Grande manifested herself a future scandal. It was the premise of her self-aware monologue as a first-time host on “SNL,” but the gag was cutting. “I think I’m in a place where I’m ready to be caught in a real adult scandal, something to take my career to the next level,” she said. By that point, three years into her chart-topping musical career, her only offense of note had been licking a bunch of donuts. Grande continued, over a bed of lounge piano: “Miley’s had ’em, Bieber’s had ’em, everyone’s had ’em, and each day, I sit by my window and I dream, ‘What will my scandal be?’” She was joking, but not really. A couple of years earlier she’d suggested as much in a New York Times interview: “Maybe one day I’ll get away with something naughty.”

Of course, Grande couldn't possibly have known back then what exactly was in store for her, how difficult and cruel the world would prove to be. After confronting the aftermath of a deadly attack on the Manchester stop of her 2017 Dangerous Woman tour, she retreated, reemerging a year later with new resolve. The story of her personal 2018 is a little too familiar now: She broke up with Mac Miller, quickly and very publicly became engaged to Pete Davidson, and then called that relationship off while grieving Miller’s death. In the midst of it all was Sweetener, a potent album that soundtracked her newfound role as pop's most lovable personality. With Rihanna focused on makeup and lingerie, Beyoncé preoccupied as the better half of the Carters, and Taylor unwilling to share anything beyond an entry-level grasp of politics, Grande ascended.

In retrospect, Sweetener was a bridge, a necessary post-tragedy assertion of survival and strength. In contrast, thank u, next, released just five months later, feels like the deliverance following Sweetener's catharsis. When she put out the title track as a single last fall, it felt like something had finally clicked. She’d not only survived a real adult scandal, but she’d also cracked it, and herself, wide open. She was untouchable. That seems to be the ethos of thank u, next, which stands out in sublime contrast to her previous releases. There are no wonky guest features or unconvincing, if always technically adept, ballads, as on past albums; she no longer needs those distractions. But as usual, it’s Grande’s voice—gently whistling here, totally annihilating there, always undeniable—that carries the album.

The release of “7 rings” as a single last month brought scandal anew. She was immediately accused of both theft and appropriation, and an unfortunate misspelled tattoo punctuated the episode. And while she kinda-sorta engineered her own absolution in the form of a 2 Chainz remix, Grande’s collaborators on the song—Victoria Monét and Tayla Parx—are also her longtime friends and co-writers, not simply anonymous voices hired because black slang and Atlanta rap rhythms are trendy. In general, thank u, next is a calling card for Monét and Parx, both signed artists with forthcoming projects of their own, who have helped Grande capture the zeitgeist in clever lines and melodies. (Almost too perfectly, “thank u, next” producer Tommy Brown is co-writer Monét’s ex.) But “7 rings,” frankly, is just as good as any track on the last album or this one. I suspect it was actually the jarring shift in her tone that left people confused and disarmed; It seemed she’d ditched the inspiring moral high ground, luxuriating instead in Tiffany's jewelry and pink Veuve Clicquot.

Though thank u, next’s 12 songs are inspired by romantic and sexual relationships, taken together, they are actually assertions and affirmations of self, a reflection of millennial group chats the world over. “needy” is a therapist’s dream: “You can go ahead and call me selfish/But after all this damage, I can’t help it.” The extended space-metaphor of “NASA” is The-Dream-lite by way of Kacey Musgraves, executed in good faith. Soul singer Wendy Rene’s “After Laughter (Comes Tears),”most famously sampled by Wu-Tang on the heartbreaking “Tearz,” is cleverly repurposed into “fake smile,” possibly thank u, next’s most compelling song and the thesis of this current era in Grande’s life. “I can’t fake another smile/I can’t fake like I’m alright/And I won’t say I’m feeling fine/After what I been through, I can’t lie,” she sings in reclamation.

There are more high points throughout—the soaring hook on the Max Martin classic “bad idea,” the slinky emotional honesty of “ghostin,” the delightful Beyoncé facsimile “make up”—but it’s still the album’s existence at all that thrills. The gentle familiarity of Grande’s musical references makes for effortlessly digestible, of-the-moment pop songs, but they’re elevated by a palpable despair that sits just below the surface. Beyond her four-octave soprano and robust wielding of it, thank u, next is buoyed by an urgency that could only come from the depths of her self-described “damage.” That it comes so soon after an already-spectacularly received album only swells the effect.

Grande explained in a recent Billboard interview that her motivation is “to release music like rappers do”—without the burden or unwieldiness of the major label machine, but certainly with much of its power. For all its spontaneity, thank u, next still registers as a big event. She has bragged that the album was written in a week and recorded in a couple more, and while that expediency gives it its weightlessness, it also accounts for the occasional notes of sloppy writing; I can’t get past, for example, the premise of “bloodline,” which seems to confuse genealogy with hypothetical procreation. But in the rare spots where the production is grating and the writing limp, Grande makes up for it with skill and intuition. thank u, next may be an imperfect album but it’s a perfect next chapter.

Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 16:31

This is already becoming my second favourite album of hers after Dangerous Woman. Funny that Ari is probably the only artist of whom I prefer the poppier side most of the time

Manager
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 17:35

Quote Originally Posted by Rihab View Post
    This is her first album that I’ve been able to play start to finish.
    Same

The only songs from Sweatener I have listened to fully were NTLTC, GIAW and Breathin' No surprise tho since I can't stand any Pharrell produced songs...
    Stanning talent is my curse: Rihanna - Dua Lipa - Madonna - Ariana Grande & many other snatchedT Popstitutes
    #No Dusty Divas Allowed

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 19:29

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post
    Same

The only songs from Sweatener I have listened to fully were NTLTC, GIAW and Breathin' No surprise tho since I can't stand any Pharrell produced songs...
    Same here. I did listen to the other songs, but have deleted them from my playlist as I only like the three singles.
    My personal chart Entries by J-Lo, Katy Perry and P!nk new - Click here

Manager
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-02-19, 21:34

For some reason, this album reminds me of the more mellow songs from Riri's "ANTI" album and that is why I love it so much. I can listen to this album from start to finish without skipping. This goes well back to back with "Sweetener" imo. Both albums are a delight to listen to but this is more cohesive and the songs sound better when played in full imo.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 02:43

Ok so I'm going through a break up and this album clicked with me so much. Lyrically some songs go in interesting directions. This is the first album where I feel she feels like a true artists shes always been a star but I believe her on this album. It also has the right balance of bops and introspective tracks. I'm a fan.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 03:33

This is tugging Sweetener's wig for that top spot of her albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Cuz you ugly and can't relate

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 03:46

I voted for Sweetener in the poll, but agree with the above that thank u, next is giving it a run for its money.

Both albums make great companion pieces. I love that Ariana has finally made two albums I want to listen to from start to finish with no skips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 06:55

It's still early to pick a favorite song, but something about ghostin hits me in the feels.
    Ain't you ever seen a princess be a bad bitch?

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-02-19, 07:23

Bloodline and Fake Smile are my top 2 for sure.
    Don’t really care for Ghosting.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-02-19, 07:32

bloodline is the pop bop of the year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-02-19, 08:42

It kinda reminds me of Side to Side.
    Ain't you ever seen a princess be a bad bitch?

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-02-19, 06:46

Loving the album, no filler tracks. Much better than Sweetener but that obviously had the killer singles; but I rarely would considering listening to it now.

TUN on the other hand has been on replay! Loving Fake Smile & Bad Idea. It feels very cohesive and flows so well even on shuffle. She deserves all the success this album is bringing!

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-02-19, 14:48

Fake smile is easily an early fan favorite and ill like to see what shes gonna have as the next single with this reception
    Proceed with Caution

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-02-19, 18:05