Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon's 2018 Faves | Singles - TOP 5 - #3-1 (#1 Revealed)

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 00:09

I kinda feel the same as you do about Billie, that maybe I'd enjoy her more in another time and place? I kinda liked lovely with Khalid, but I haven't been able to get into this one... worth giving another go I guess?

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 02:38

Hmm...I think you like "GTFO" more than I do. "When the Party's Over" isn't completely unspectacular, but I think it's a tad overrated. It grew on me a bit, though. "Mariners Apartment Complex" is lovely!
    Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [150-126]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 02:44

Kween

Although personally I don’t feel GTFO is all that. I hope to see Wit U or The Distance soon.

Legend
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 18:54

Forgot to comment on Neneh Cherry earlier, agree with what you said on that song. Birthing Mabel makes her even cooler.

GTFO was a poor single from Mariah, but I really enjoy listening to it when I play the album through in full. Billie Eilish is a major tryhard on social media, but weren't we all at 15? Thankfully the music is a lot better than Halsey. Love that Lana song too, it reminds me of Mazzy Star.

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 19:31

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    I kinda feel the same as you do about Billie, that maybe I'd enjoy her more in another time and place? I kinda liked lovely with Khalid, but I haven't been able to get into this one... worth giving another go I guess?
    yeah, I think Billie is more for a teen audience, but I do think she could evolve into someone really cool as she grows up

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Hmm...I think you like "GTFO" more than I do. "When the Party's Over" isn't completely unspectacular, but I think it's a tad overrated. It grew on me a bit, though. "Mariners Apartment Complex" is lovely!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    Kween

Although personally I don’t feel GTFO is all that. I hope to see Wit U or The Distance soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmusik
    Forgot to comment on Neneh Cherry earlier, agree with what you said on that song. Birthing Mabel makes her even cooler.

GTFO was a poor single from Mariah, but I really enjoy listening to it when I play the album through in full. Billie Eilish is a major tryhard on social media, but weren't we all at 15? Thankfully the music is a lot better than Halsey. Love that Lana song too, it reminds me of Mazzy Star.
    Omg at the hate for GTFO from y'all I think it's one of her career best!

Agreed about the Lana-Mazzy Star comparison, would never have thought of it, but it's accurate.

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 19:42

60. MØ, Diplo - Sun in Our Eyes

MØ really hasn't wowed me that much with all her releases lately, but this was solid. Have to admit it grew off me already and I'm not fussed when I play it now, but I did play it a lot this summer and that's why I'm placing it over some other songs that I'm maybe enjoying more at the moment. It's a cute summer song overall!

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 19:45

59. Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman

Ariana is on fire this year, and she has released some of her best songs to date all in one year! The first to fall is the sensual and mystical God Is a Woman, mainly because for some reason I don't play it that much. Objectively, it's a cool pop song where she showcases her talent, but also her evolution from her early days and songs like Problem, which feel so different from her now.

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 19:48

58. Little Dragon - Lover Chanting

No one is probably gonna know or listen to this one, I have a feeling. Y'all should! Not only does it have an interesting video, but it's so catchy and upbeat! I liked some Litle Dragon years ago in high school, but lost interest as years went on. Came across this randomly on YT and loved it instantly.

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 19:51

57. MGMT - When You Die

MGMT really impressed me this year with their stuff. I don't really know how to describe this song as it's quite weird. Lots of acoustic guitar, but also many layers of production, catchy yet weird melody, bizarre (but great) lyrics... Y'all should just play it and see for yourself.

I’m a duty manager now bitchessss
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 20:01

That Cher Lloyd song is an underrated BOP, really hoped it would do something for her.

Billie Eilish is no Halsey, she’s much better. But I’m glad she made your list at least.

Can’t wait to see Kelly
    Fiat 500

Legend
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 21:51

The Lana one really grew on me over such a long time.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by » Thu December 20th, 2018, 00:11

God Is A Woman is definitely for me the best thing Ari released this year, so we slightly disagree but good to see it here. I enjoyed Sun In Our Eyes too, seeing MØ at a festival this year I was really impressed with her, I didn't know half the set but she performed the hell out of it, and that's when I heard and got into this song. Hit!

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Thu December 20th, 2018, 02:10

"God Is a Woman" is a bit low! I would run out of superlatives in my attempt to express my love for it.

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)

by » Thu December 20th, 2018, 09:03

'GTFO' grew on me big time. Good song. Smooth bop
    Yay for 'Mariner Apartment Complex' and 'God Is A Woman' <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by » Fri December 21st, 2018, 04:41

I checked out Little Dragon since you charted Kween - I don’t know ha but it’s catchy and the instrumental reminds me of Adam Lambert’s Ghosttown.

Legend
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)

by » Fri December 21st, 2018, 18:50

Time to finally catch up!

80. Dua Lipa - IDGAF
    74. Grimes - We Appreciate Power
    72. Janelle Monáe – Make Me Feel
    69. Nicki Minaj - Ganja Burn
    63. Mariah Carey - GTFO
    62. Billie Eilish - When the Party's Over
    61. Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
    60. MØ, Diplo - Sun in Our Eyes
    59. Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman

Really like these on your countdown so far, with "God Is A Woman" being my clear fave of the bunch. Such a stunning pop track. You're teasing at least one other on your countdown so I cross my fingers for "No Tears" to appear VERY high
    Grimes' one didn't click with me at first and I have to admit I was disappointed, but it turned out as a huge grower and I'm really loving it now. Will probably make a big impact on me in 2019.

Nicki's one is good, so are the ones for MØ and Lana, though I think both could do much better.

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 19:47

Mariah Carey - GTFO
    Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over
    Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
    Ariana Grande - God is a woman

Love all four of the above songs. 'God is a woman' will go down as a classic, the song and video are both 10/10. Billie Eilish has been one of my favourite artists of 2018, she is so exciting!

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 19:49

thanks for the comments everyone! nicr to see love for the Lana, Billie, Mariah and Ariana songs! yeah I'm aware GIAW seems a bit low, but I did like it! there will be more Ariana in the countdown for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    I checked out Little Dragon since you charted Kween - I don’t know ha but it’s catchy and the instrumental reminds me of Adam Lambert’s Ghosttown.
    Thanks for checking it out and glad you discovered something you like

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 20:02

56. Florence + The Machine - Sky Full of Song

Even though I&#39;ve given up long ago that I would ever have the same love for Florence&#39;s music as I did back in high school during her first (and partially her second) era, I still check out her new stuff every now and then. This one really showcases the gentleness in her voice, and it&#39;s the simplicity and lack of drama in this song that I prefer to some of F+TM&#39;s past songs.

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 20:04

55. Little Boots feat. planningtorock - Eros

Little Boots&#39; latest EP features her music at its most electronic! This one in particular is also quite catchy and channels Kylie Minogue at her dance peak. I did overplay it, so it doesn&#39;t chart too high, but honestly at this point in the countdown, it&#39;s hard to rank any song because I enjoyed them all. It&#39;s quite accessible and I think pop/dance music fans should give it a try.

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 20:08

54. MØ - Nostalgia

I initially didn&#39;t care for this one, but it grew on me and now I consider it the highlight of her new album. That said, the album is quite unimpressive, so being the highlight is not that hard. I do think it has its qualities, most notably the whole atmosphere of the song that really fits the song&#39;s title. The lyrics give you that feeling of nostagia for the youth, the verses transport you to that place of childlike adventures and innocence, and the chorus makes you a bit sad and comforts you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 20:12

53. Dido - Hurricanes

This was such a nice surprise from Dido. It&#39;s very classic Dido, her vocals backed by guitar make for a cosy musical blanket, and when I first heard it, it felt like hearing an old friend in a way. I think Dido&#39;s music in general is quite timeless and I like that she doesn&#39;t need to change up her style that much as she has this stunning trademark sound that gives you the feels.

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 21:49

Considering "Delilah" was my #2 song of 2015, I really had high expectations for Florence + the Machine this era, and was grossly disappointed. "Sky Full of Song" is decent, though.

Legend
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 23:18

MØ and Dido both have great offerings there.

Legend
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 23:20

55. Little Boots feat. planningtorock - Eros
    I like this one, a bit similar to Roisin Murphy music
    Waffles are checked cookies