User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2018?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Breathin

4 23.53%
  • Fall in Line

0 0%
  • God Is a Woman

7 41.18%
  • Good Form

0 0%
  • Have It All

1 5.88%
  • I'll Never Love Again

2 11.76%
  • Raining Glitter

3 17.65%
  • Rocket

0 0%
  • Sanctify

0 0%
  • With You

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 10-12-18, 18:58

Love Venice Bitch from these last songs, stunning track.

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 10-12-18, 21:15

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Eh, I think Shawn is totes adorbs, but this kind of body does way more for me these days. And he has a long torso, too.
    OK, but if we're setting the bar at "Chris Hemsworth," then 99.9% of men (celebs included) are hopeless "little boys."

Yeah, for me, the big surprise underperformance of the era in the UK was "Pray". I thought that was a good bet for #1, and it didn't even make it to the top 20. But even then, it's not like he released a tonne of singles and they all flopped in succession. Also, I'm not sure what his promo schedule was for the first era compared to the second, but maybe he was just less visible overall?
    The visibility issue is a very fair point that I can't really speak to, since I don't know much about his UK promo schedule this past year...I just know that singles #2-4 from The Thrill Of It All missed the UK Top 20, after his debut spawned four UK Top 5's and a fifth Top 10. Bad enough to be called a "sophomore slump" is debatable, I guess, since it did spawn a No. 1 hit and go 2x Platinum, but I was surprised and saddened to see him (kind of) fall of a cliff during his second era, like many before him (until Calvin threw him a rope).

I'm actually not a DWTS fan, but I was around someone at the time who was, and Normani was the person that season that I rooted for. Also, I'm still not crazy about 5H, but when it seemed the group would disband, Normani seemed to be the one with the most potential. Let's see what Normani can do in 2019.
    Ah, so it was your post-coital-cuddling viewing routine.

• I was less-than-pleased when the shot of Gaga/Ally performing “Why Did You Do That?” on stage seamlessly panned to Bradley/Jack picking up a drink again. I’m like "Are you f**king seriously gonna pin the fact that someone struggling with alcoholism is falling off the wagon on his partner performing harmless, mindless, feel-good pop bops?" That frustration aside, I love that you've shown this lyrical masterpiece some love here. You're the reason I gave it a try before I'd checked out the rest of the soundtrack (and well before I'd seen the film).
    • I genuinely forgot about "Ashes" until year-end-countdown hype began and I noticed "Oh, right, this went to No. 1 on my chart." No shade intended, really - it’s a lovely, moving song and a powerful performance – it just had a very short shelf-life for me (partially due to it going unnoticed/unappreciated on most official charts, so there wasn't much keeping it fresh on my mind after I'd seen DP2).
    • "Everytime" is a Sweetener highlight for sure, and I completely understand all the clamouring for it to be single #4 (back when a "Sweetener single #4" might've actually been a thing). I don't think it'll make the cut for my Top 50 of the year, but definitely Top 100 (probably Top 60ish).
    • It hadn’t crossed my mind, but 5SOS kind of DID pick up where 1D had left off with the heavily-80's-influenced material. 1D had been steering in that direction since Midnight Memories and especially Four (but then Zayn had better things to do. More tatts, fewer hits).

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-12-18, 00:50

Quote Originally Posted by leomedar
    Personal highlights from the top100:
    - Long As I Live: agree with you disagreeing with biscuits. It is a vert good tune!
    - Dancing: too low! Great catchy fun track.
    - Low: amazing. Lenny back to what he knows best. The drums. Amazing single, glad he is here.
    - Celine: nice one
    Ah, glad you appreciate the Grammy-nominated "Long as I Live"!

Yeah, I know most people will think "Dancing" is too low. I just didn't connect that much with it. Yay at you appreciating "Low", too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow
    Sam's most listenable vocal performances of his career
    That level of shade Oo

"Promises" is such a great tune, though, I had the same "fear" when I heard about those two collaborating... but it seems that Calvin Harris is still one of those few producers who still come up with fresh ideas.

Sam Smith has many "not only listenable" but also excellent and impressive vocal performances when it comes to his career, though

"Shelby '68": What a surprise! - I like the track, it's overlooked by fans and a bit underrated. I am glad that it has found its time to shine on your countdown.

Kylie back to back <3 - "Dancing" should be placed 70 places higher, though. One of her finest singles in her entire career.

"Low" is excellent! Lovely to see it on your countdown...

"Fuego" <3 I am glad UKMIX and the actual Eurovision rank had such an impact on you. And I still love it that you keep on watching Eurovision <3
    It's a pity there's only one more Eurovision entry left, though :(

GaGa's "Why Did You Do That" is her most annoying song since "Aura", though

WOHOOOO!!!! 8 songs by Ariana made it into your Top 100 #kween
    "Everytime" is excellent. If "Sweetener" era hadn't been so short, I would have loved this to be the closing single.

Like previously mentioned in your Daily Chart update, 2Youngblood" is indeed a lovely pop song. It's not ground-breaking but quite catchy.

Seeing your countdown so far makes me think of 2018 being an amazing year for pop music, tbh
    Eh, it wasn't shade. I think Sam is definitely a capable singer, but sometimes he's a miss for me vocally speaking.

I have to given Calvin credit; a lot of his output is actually pretty decent. He aligns himself with some formidable stars, though.

Nice that you appreciate "Shelby '68". Ah, yes, I think 95% of UKMix would vote on "Dancing" deserving a significantly higher place. I get that's the first of the controversial rankings in the main countdown. Also nice to see some appreciation for "Low"! I didn't think many people even knew about it!

Of course, I have you to thank for introducing me to ESC. I think I'm a fan for life at this point; I love the spirit of the contest.

I like "Aura". Yeah, Ariana had a prolific year on my charts. She'll do well in these year-end countdowns; let's see how well.

It was a good year for pop, a good year for R&B, a solid year for country, an above-average year for hip/hop - overall, it was a terrific year!

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    Love Venice Bitch from these last songs, stunning track.
    Nice that you appreciate that one! Lana has one more track to come.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98
    OK, but if we're setting the bar at "Chris Hemsworth," then 99.9% of men (celebs included) are hopeless "little boys."
    True. The thing is, I find Shawn incredibly cute, but maybe I'm just over all this "is he gay or not" speculation.

The visibility issue is a very fair point that I can't really speak to, since I don't know much about his UK promo schedule this past year...I just know that singles #2-4 from The Thrill Of It All missed the UK Top 20, after his debut spawned four UK Top 5's and a fifth Top 10. Bad enough to be called a "sophomore slump" is debatable, I guess, since it did spawn a No. 1 hit and go 2x Platinum, but I was surprised and saddened to see him (kind of) fall of a cliff during his second era, like many before him (until Calvin threw him a rope).
    Yeah, and three years between albums for a new act is an eternity, so that probably played a role. Plus, I'm pretty sure album sales shrunk between 2014 and 2017. I think the length of time is probably to blame for the poorer chart peaks (paired with what I presume was probably less visibility) and the further shrinkage of the commercial music market to blame for the lower sales overall.

Ah, so it was your post-coital-cuddling viewing routine.
    Not quite.

• I was less-than-pleased when the shot of Gaga/Ally performing “Why Did You Do That?” on stage seamlessly panned to Bradley/Jack picking up a drink again. I’m like "Are you f**king seriously gonna pin the fact that someone struggling with alcoholism is falling off the wagon on his partner performing harmless, mindless, feel-good pop bops?" That frustration aside, I love that you've shown this lyrical masterpiece some love here. You're the reason I gave it a try before I'd checked out the rest of the soundtrack (and well before I'd seen the film).
    Yeah, I'm still a bit (well, a lot) bewildered at how well the movie has been received. The music is fantastic, yes, but the film itself...no. Bohemian Rhapsody was at least twice as good.

I genuinely forgot about "Ashes" until year-end-countdown hype began and I noticed "Oh, right, this went to No. 1 on my chart." No shade intended, really - it’s a lovely, moving song and a powerful performance – it just had a very short shelf-life for me (partially due to it going unnoticed/unappreciated on most official charts, so there wasn't much keeping it fresh on my mind after I'd seen DP2).
    Lemme scream a bit.

It's like that sometimes, though.

• "Everytime" is a Sweetener highlight for sure, and I completely understand all the clamouring for it to be single #4 (back when a "Sweetener single #4" might've actually been a thing). I don't think it'll make the cut for my Top 50 of the year, but definitely Top 100 (probably Top 60ish).
    Yeah, good thing that the song that 'replaced' it was even better!

• It hadn’t crossed my mind, but 5SOS kind of DID pick up where 1D had left off with the heavily-80's-influenced material. 1D had been steering in that direction since Midnight Memories and especially Four (but then Zayn had better things to do. More tatts, fewer hits).
    True.
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-12-18, 00:55

Long As I Live is Toni’s best song since I Gots To Breathe!

When are we getting some Kween?
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt
    The raw emotion Kween conveys when belting out WBT's climax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    A MOMENT IN MUSIC HISTORY.

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-12-18, 01:05

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    Long As I Live is Toni’s best song since I Gots To Breathe!

When are we getting some Kween?
    She had better on Sex & Cigarettes.

In about half an hour!

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-12-18, 01:40

Some big names are in tonight's group: my favourite artist of all-time, my favourite country artist of all-time, the biggest female hip/hop star of 2018, one of the brightest and most exciting names in country music of the last five years, and the second appearance from this year's queen apparent.

080. Carrie Underwood - Backsliding

Penned with long-time collaborator Hillary Lindsey, "Backsliding" covers the same lyrical territory as Ariana Grande's "Everytime" from the previous batch (maybe the ladies shared notes). The song is catchy, thanks in large part to the fresh production, and Carrie's crystal-clear vocals and smooth delivery. She says backsliding sufficient times to remind the listener of the song's title, but, truthfully, I think the song's impact lies in how relatable it likely is to most people. Relapsing into something unhealthy because of how familiar and comfortable it is - yeah, I know the feeling.
    Code:
    Quality Rating: 8.2/10
    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #5
    Play Count: 18
    079. Ariana Grande - No Tears Left to Cry

Well-sung, well-produced, and decently penned - "No Tears Left to Cry" doesn't really fail in any key department, but it just doesn't make me feel much. I love the idea of it - moving on and returning to good spirits after a particularly trying time in one's life - but the execution doesn't move me, and it really should considering the gravity of what Ariana had to endure before (and during) 2018. As its play count indicates, I spent quite some time trying to find the brilliance that so many people uncovered, but I wasn't convinced in the end.
    Code:
    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #2
    Play Count: 74
    078. Cardi B - Bartier Cardi (feat. 21 Savage)

One thing Cardi B always brings to her tracks is immense, raw, at-times overflowing energy. What in heavens is this song about? Nothing of any real substance (she literally says "Cardi" 59 times within the song's under-four-minute runtime, and 21 Savage somehow manages to insert his love for hot sauce on chicken). She's really picking up where she left off with "Bodak Yellow", swaggering her way through another hip/hop beat boasting about her new lavish lifestyle. The Offset-inclusive hook probably means we won't be seeing Cardi B performing this live too often in the future, but this song is a certified bop regardless.
    Code:
    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #4
    Play Count: 35
    077. Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies

A more country-fied version of last year's "Malibu" by Miley Cyrus, "Butterflies" is a tender stroll down honeymoon avenue with Kacey, as she recounts the blissful early stages of her courtship with her now-husband. It's tender and sweet, and so masterfully well-written. She really commits to the 'butterfly' theme here, and as a lamb, I truly appreciate it.
    Code:
    Play Count: 30
    076. Mariah Carey - 8th Grade

And speaking of butterflies, the first of five appearances from the Songbird Supreme is one of her top Caution highlights, "8th Grade". The line that really caught my attention on "8th Grade" is Maybe the lyrics are too heavy in my song. I love it because it's layered. "Heavy" as in too honest, too vulnerable, too real, too commitment-demanding? Or "Heavy" as in too SAT-saturated? "8th Grade" is simple contemporary R&B music, delivered by the greatest singer-songwriter of all-time. And her best this year is still to come.
    Code:
    Play Count: 35

Legend
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SawyerHewitt
    The raw emotion Kween conveys when belting out WBT's climax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    A MOMENT IN MUSIC HISTORY.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-12-18, 03:11

It's not Nicki tho, you should be relieved.

And Mimi is higher.

I have missed so much. You are too damn fast, Akini I will circle back, but I will say I'm stunned to see No Tears so low.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-12-18, 19:53

One thing that i'm finding really interesting are those little codes underneath each entry.

I love No tears left to cry and clearly a lot more than you did, although i remember upon its release you were unconvinced by the track.

It's then seeing Cardi B ranked one place higher even though it had a lower peak and less plays but still wins out on the quality-o-meter.

So i'm sure this countdown will still have plenty of surprises to come.

Ohh and a big for Ashes, another of my personal highlights from 2018. <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-12-18, 20:09

No Tears is surprisingly low! A great pop tune for me.

Butterflies is so sweet and cosy, just like that whole album.

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-12-18, 23:45

True. The thing is, I find Shawn incredibly cute, but maybe I'm just over all this "is he gay or not" speculation.
    Totally fair. It does seem to have reached a pretty absurd degree with him, even by usual "is he or isn't he?" pop star speculation standards.

Yeah, and three years between albums for a new act is an eternity, so that probably played a role. Plus, I'm pretty sure album sales shrunk between 2014 and 2017. I think the length of time is probably to blame for the poorer chart peaks (paired with what I presume was probably less visibility) and the further shrinkage of the commercial music market to blame for the lower sales overall.
    Ah, too true! I'd forgotten there was a full 3.5-year gap between his albums.

• So were you watching DWTS with whoever you backslid into? You CAN'T just leave us dangling with "yeah, I know the feeling" ;) Any rate - I'm really enjoying the mental image of Carrie and Ari swapping songwriting ideas. Certainly a more appealing collaborator than Luda.
    • Or was Ari only mentioned to provide a segue into your next entry? I'm not COMPLETELY shocked by its low placement, since you'd shared your "I don't hear what everyone else hears in this" situation back when I was feeling that way about GIAW, but No. 79 still feels pretty harsh. On the bright side, at least something from my Top 10 landed higher than No. 90 here I liked NTLTC well enough when it first dropped (and was definitely captivated by the video), but I had a suspicion that it might wear off me fairly quickly...instead, I kept revisiting it time and time again throughout the year. It was just what the doctor ordered when certain moods would strike.
    • "Butterflies" is cute, and definitely charmed me more than "Space Cowboy" when she dropped both at the same time. I didn't even know it had an official video until just now...
    • Hmmm....first of five, and "With You" is guaranteed. I suspect we'll be seeing "Giving Me Life" too...so that leaves two likable Caution moments to look forward to I mean, "Ribbon" didn't really click with me with until a good 3-4 months after Memoirs came out, so anything's possible - but as of right now, "8th Grade" is among my least-played Caution tracks. I do appreciate your expert dissection of that one line, though! I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but it just occurred to me today that the last 30ish seconds of "8th Grade" really bring "Bliss" to mind.

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-12-18, 02:25

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    I have a suspicion Cardi will make a fan out of you in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills
    I have missed so much. You are too damn fast, Akini I will circle back, but I will say I'm stunned to see No Tears so low.
    Funnily enough, I'm actually well behind schedule!

And I'm positive you're not alone with the "No Tears..." reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeP
    One thing that i'm finding really interesting are those little codes underneath each entry.

I love No tears left to cry and clearly a lot more than you did, although i remember upon its release you were unconvinced by the track.

It's then seeing Cardi B ranked one place higher even though it had a lower peak and less plays but still wins out on the quality-o-meter.

So i'm sure this countdown will still have plenty of surprises to come.

Ohh and a big for Ashes, another of my personal highlights from 2018. <3
    Yeah, the statistics tell a story, too. With "No Tears...", the plays are significantly higher than the others because it was the lead single from a highly anticipated LP by one of pop's premier contemporary divas. And because so many people liked it, I kept playing it to see if it would grow on me. It actually did. The first time I spun the song, I gave it a 7/10 rating. It's climbed a good bit since then!

Yay at another "Ashes" fan!

No Tears is surprisingly low! A great pop tune for me.

Butterflies is so sweet and cosy, just like that whole album.
    Yeah, I definitely enjoyed the album as well.

• So were you watching DWTS with whoever you backslid into? You CAN'T just leave us dangling with "yeah, I know the feeling" ;) Any rate - I'm really enjoying the mental image of Carrie and Ari swapping songwriting ideas. Certainly a more appealing collaborator than Luda.
    I'll never not love your sense of playfulness. <3

Hmm...brace yourself.

• Or was Ari only mentioned to provide a segue into your next entry? I'm not COMPLETELY shocked by its low placement, since you'd shared your "I don't hear what everyone else hears in this" situation back when I was feeling that way about GIAW, but No. 79 still feels pretty harsh. On the bright side, at least something from my Top 10 landed higher than No. 90 here I liked NTLTC well enough when it first dropped (and was definitely captivated by the video), but I had a suspicion that it might wear off me fairly quickly...instead, I kept revisiting it time and time again throughout the year. It was just what the doctor ordered when certain moods would strike.
    It was a dual-purpose mention.

To be fair, would you rank GIAW higher than I ranked NTLTC on your list? I am super happy that the song didn't wear off on you, though. Maybe I might grow to appreciate it more in the future.

• "Butterflies" is cute, and definitely charmed me more than "Space Cowboy" when she dropped both at the same time. I didn't even know it had an official video until just now...
    Yeah, I definitely didn't connect much with "Space Cowboy", though it's certainly decent and the lyrics are cute.

• Hmmm....first of five, and "With You" is guaranteed. I suspect we'll be seeing "Giving Me Life" too...so that leaves two likable Caution moments to look forward to I mean, "Ribbon" didn't really click with me with until a good 3-4 months after Memoirs came out, so anything's possible - but as of right now, "8th Grade" is among my least-played Caution tracks. I do appreciate your expert dissection of that one line, though! I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but it just occurred to me today that the last 30ish seconds of "8th Grade" really bring "Bliss" to mind.
    I actually like "Bliss" now! The power of time, I tell ya.

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-12-18, 03:25

075. Shakira - Trap (feat. Maluma)

With arguably the sexiest male and female musician on the same track, there was a 100% chance that in whichever language the song would be sung, it'd translate to one thing: sex. And that is essentially what this song is about: the erotic tug-and-pull between a woman, who's had her fair share of disappointing affairs with lovers, and a man, who feels like he's fully equipped to provide the pleasure for which the damsel in dissatisfaction has long been awaiting. For me, "Trap" was an improvement on their previous duet, "Chantaje", sonically, lyrically, and visually.
    Code:
    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
    Play Count: 51
    074. Lauv - Chasing Fire

Saying goodbye is never easy - I even have trouble ending phone calls, much less putting the nail in a coffin on a high-impact relationship - and "Chasing Fire" sees Lauv recount his own challenges with ending a relationship that's moved past its 'best by' date. I'm not entirely sure why I like this song as much as I do, as it's really basic in so many ways, but that insistent chorus, and the break where the melody pauses and there's just that handclap-like percussion instrumentation to accompany his vocals does more for me than I would have expected. Paul introduced me to a good one with this.
    Code:
    Play Count: 25
    073. Taylor Swift - Delicate

Delivered in a half-sung, half-spoken, monotonic fashion, not unfamiliar vocal delivery territory for T-Swizzle, "Delicate" is a slow burner of a song that unsuspectingly reels you in, with the chorus sounding more potent each time it subtly rolls around. I love the juxtaposition of deep emotion with the almost indifferent-like instrumental and vocal delivery, and of course, as it's Taylor Swift, the songwriting is dangerously relatable and memorable. I spent much of the last two years less-than-impressed with Taylor Swift the person/selective advocate, but "Delicate" felt like the start of the mending of our bridges this year.
    Code:
    Quality Rating: 8.3/10
    Play Count: 45
    072. Ariana Grande - Get Well Soon

Anxiety was a prevailing (and defining) issue this year for me, so of course any song that spoke to it was a track I'd appreciate on a deeply personal level. On "Get Well Soon", Ariana concludes Sweetener with a counselling session of sorts, encouraging conversation about mental health challenges, and reassuring the protagonist (and listener) that she'd be there for them in their time of need. My only gripe with the song is that I feel like it builds to an unsatisfying climax; the Here's one thing you can trust refrain is clearly meant to be the highlight, but vocally and sonically, it falls a bit flat for me. With some reworking, this would have been a perfect song. I do, however, appreciate, to a great extent, the 40 seconds of silence at the end as a tribute to the memory of the Manchester concert victims; the idea to include the 40 seconds so that the song's runtime coincides with the May 22 (5/22) tragedy was tasteful, thoughtful, and sweet.
    Code:
    Play Count: 36
    071. Troye Sivan - My My My!

Although a genre beloved by millions of LGBT+ folk all over the world, pop music has a scarcity of LGBT+ representation, and Troye Sivan was one of two major gay pop stars in 2018 who injected some queerness into the most historically queer-friendly genre of music. "My My My!" was the first big hit of the year for me, and it's held up really well throughout the year. My first thought hearing the song is one that I still have now - Troye has really come into his own here! On Blue Neighbourhood, you got the image of a young gay man struggling with first-time romantic relationships, and most of that album's theme really feels...sombre, but "My My My!" was a dramatic shift in sound, theme, and level of quality! I loved the more assertive, sexually liberated Troye. The video also marked the first time I ever looked at Troye and realised that he is a stunningly beautiful man. My my my, indeed!
    Code:
    Play Count: 53

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-12-18, 17:30

Hmm...brace yourself.
    Damn :x For some reason (maybe I just pushed it from my mind that well), I thought it was older and would've been a candidate for last year's countdown - but nope, it dropped January 2018.

To be fair, would you rank GIAW higher than I ranked NTLTC on your list? I am super happy that the song didn't wear off on you, though. Maybe I might grow to appreciate it more in the future.

Well...it's hard to say exactly where it would fall compared to every entry in 2018, since I've only tabulated the points for ~75 songs that seemed like they'd have a chance of cracking the official Top 50...and there's still three charts left for rankings to shift...but it's well below those 75 right now so point taken!

I actually like "Bliss" now! The power of time, I tell ya.
    It's a great example of a track where the true filthiness of it really flew over my head as a tween "you gotta take it slow, just let the feeling grow, until it overflows...", "ain't it a sweet, luscious delight, when you're immersed in my ocean of love..." Lyrically-speaking, it could fit right in on some of Janet's albums.

I get a shout-out in the "Chasing Fire" write-up??? (Hopefully) Daddy Lauv would be proud!
    • I love that "Delicate" has the power to be Taylor's saving grace/most (or only?) redeemable factor for you lately, since it's definitely the clear reputation standout for me. Tay has this knack for crafting songs that are somehow both quite personal/specific ("third floor on the West Side, me and you, handsome, your mansion with a view...") while still being so relatable on the underlying, emotional levels. I love getting lost in the stories she's telling, and the feelings behind them really resonate. "Delicate" deserved to be massive, but I was relieved that it at least out-performed "End Game" in the States (and elsewhere).
    • **Hug** for 2018 being the year of anxiety. Just as you mentioned me for "Chasing Fire," I would absolutely have to give you credit for helping me see the light with "Get Well Soon," after being too quick to dismiss it as a prolonged coda. You're also blowing my mind right now with that revelation about the true significance behind the track's run-time!
    • I'm really digging your interpretation of Troye's evolution between Blue Neighbourhood and Bloom. Maybe he should've just called it troye. ;) I assume you're referring to Olly (of Y&Y, not the Murs variety) as 2018's other major queertastic pop star? I guess it could apply to Janelle too, but she's too genre-blurring to really be dubbed a "pop star." Shout-out to Hayley Kiyoko too!

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-12-18, 03:45

Kylie's 'Dancing' I thought was so poor upon first listen but she was insistent on performing it on every show going here, she forced me to like it and now I think it bops!

Love Lies is a subtle one, but it's pretty cool. Fuego is one of the best Eurovision songs in years, I think, but it grew on me AFTER the contest so I feel you completely ha! I have since whined to it in a club

Why Did You Do That? was much needed in the film but smacked to me as a subpar Gaga song in the real world.
    Youngblood absolutely slays. Proud to say I was on that bus long before the world realised it was an absolute belter.
    No Tears Left To Cry - i kind of know it's really strong but similarly to you, that's about it - I think it's her weakest lead, while others feel it's her strongest.
    Delicate was a kind of return to Taylor of old - I really liked it (not that I didn't like the Ready For It? stuff too, tbh)

Funny you should say that about LGBT in music - I felt like it was a really queer year! The likes of Janelle and Troye, but maybe because, in my Britishness, I spent the year absolutely rinsing albums by Years and Years and MNEK alongside Bloom. Yay for queers! My My My is a bop

And of course, Unlonely is so wonderful, I was SO happy to get an easy breezy pop song like this from Jason coupled with his once upon a time USP of brilliant lyricism and wordplay. Wonderful song!

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-12-18, 04:15

Damn :x For some reason (maybe I just pushed it from my mind that well), I thought it was older and would've been a candidate for last year's countdown - but nope, it dropped January 2018.
    Yep!

Well...it's hard to say exactly where it would fall compared to every entry in 2018, since I've only tabulated the points for ~75 songs that seemed like they'd have a chance of cracking the official Top 50...and there's still three charts left for rankings to shift...but it's well below those 75 right now so point taken!

It's a great example of a track where the true filthiness of it really flew over my head as a tween "you gotta take it slow, just let the feeling grow, until it overflows...", "ain't it a sweet, luscious delight, when you're immersed in my ocean of love..." Lyrically-speaking, it could fit right in on some of Janet's albums.
    True, and you know how much of a pluviophile Janet is (as am I, tbh).

I get a shout-out in the "Chasing Fire" write-up??? (Hopefully) Daddy Lauv would be proud!
    I don't think I would have ever come across it if it weren't for you, so thanks!

• I love that "Delicate" has the power to be Taylor's saving grace/most (or only?) redeemable factor for you lately, since it's definitely the clear reputation standout for me. Tay has this knack for crafting songs that are somehow both quite personal/specific ("third floor on the West Side, me and you, handsome, your mansion with a view...") while still being so relatable on the underlying, emotional levels. I love getting lost in the stories she's telling, and the feelings behind them really resonate. "Delicate" deserved to be massive, but I was relieved that it at least out-performed "End Game" in the States (and elsewhere).
    Yeah, she's a brilliant songwriter; that has never been in question for me.

• **Hug** for 2018 being the year of anxiety. Just as you mentioned me for "Chasing Fire," I would absolutely have to give you credit for helping me see the light with "Get Well Soon," after being too quick to dismiss it as a prolonged coda. You're also blowing my mind right now with that revelation about the true significance behind the track's run-time!
    Thanks for the virtual hug. Life can be hard, but you just hope the tough times eventually give way to the best of life. And, yay, I'm glad that I helped you appreciate "Get Well Soon". And it's always nice to share tasty tidbits!

• I'm really digging your interpretation of Troye's evolution between Blue Neighbourhood and Bloom. Maybe he should've just called it troye. ;) I assume you're referring to Olly (of Y&Y, not the Murs variety) as 2018's other major queertastic pop star? I guess it could apply to Janelle too, but she's too genre-blurring to really be dubbed a "pop star." Shout-out to Hayley Kiyoko too!
    Indeed I was referring to Olly (of Y&Y) as I think Janelle is definitely more R&B than pop. I forgot about Hayley, but I don't like her music that much.

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    Kylie's 'Dancing' I thought was so poor upon first listen but she was insistent on performing it on every show going here, she forced me to like it and now I think it bops!

Love Lies is a subtle one, but it's pretty cool. Fuego is one of the best Eurovision songs in years, I think, but it grew on me AFTER the contest so I feel you completely ha! I have since whined to it in a club

Why Did You Do That? was much needed in the film but smacked to me as a subpar Gaga song in the real world.
    Youngblood absolutely slays. Proud to say I was on that bus long before the world realised it was an absolute belter.
    No Tears Left To Cry - i kind of know it's really strong but similarly to you, that's about it - I think it's her weakest lead, while others feel it's her strongest.
    Delicate was a kind of return to Taylor of old - I really liked it (not that I didn't like the Ready For It? stuff too, tbh)

Funny you should say that about LGBT in music - I felt like it was a really queer year! The likes of Janelle and Troye, but maybe because, in my Britishness, I spent the year absolutely rinsing albums by Years and Years and MNEK alongside Bloom. Yay for queers! My My My is a bop

And of course, Unlonely is so wonderful, I was SO happy to get an easy breezy pop song like this from Jason coupled with his once upon a time USP of brilliant lyricism and wordplay. Wonderful song!
    The song is clearly made for that purpose!

Yeah, I really haven't forgotten about Janelle, and I think later on my countdowns will reflect that fact, but she's not really a pop star per se; I class her more as an R&B act. As for MNEK, I am absolutely livid with myself for discovering him so late! I absolutely adore him! He's so intelligent, creative, fierce!!! He will feature in my 2019 lists.

Yeah, "Unlonely" is great, but his big song this year is still to come, of course!

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-12-18, 05:00

070. Netta - Toy

It's not every year that the best ESC song wins, but, thankfully, that was the case in 2018. "Toy" is another eccentric pop song, the likes of which I can only ever reliably find via Eurovision. From the eclectic chicken sounds, to the random Pikachu-inclusive lyrics and Wonder Woman shout-out, to the haphazard inserts of Israeli cultural terms - this song has so much to offer, and Netta capably orchestrates the entire wild ride. And those vocals - the girl can sing! This song is an anthem, full of quotable lyrics and a chant-worthy hook.
    Code:
    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(3)
    Play Count: 54
    069. Nicki Minaj - Majesty (feat. Eminem & Labrinth)

They switchin' like sissies now. How do you ruin one of the best hip/hop songs of the last five years? By including hateful, ignorant, shockingly irresponsible language like that! It's always disappointing for someone with such a large LGBT+ fanbase to release music that in any way denigrates such a core part of their support. I almost excluded the song on the basis of that line alone, but felt it a harsh punishment for a song that is otherwise without fault. Nicki's flow on this, otherwise, is fantastic, though she's upstaged by arguably the hip/hop legend with the cleanest flow ever. Eminem delivers a killer verse, fuelled with fire (and a welcome and notable absence of homophobia). The way he reverently refers to Nicki in the line The Queen and her husband is a nice gesture, especially in a genre that undersells the contribution female acts have made. Juxtaposed to that sissies line, this song is an annoying blend of progressive and regressive lyricism.
    Code:
    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #3
    Play Count: 27
    068. Post Malone - Better Now

Listen, one of the biggest things I was not ready for in 2018 was Post Malone, someone I considered among the gutter trash of hip/hop, the scourge of the new music stars, to deliver a bop, but that's inexplicably what "Better Now" is - an emotional, high-energy, infectious bop! I swear to you, I'll be okay, you're only the love of my life. What feels-inducing brilliance! For me, "Better Now" accomplished what none of Drake's songs this year could - quality hip/hop, with palpable emotion, and strong production.
    Code:
    Play Count: 19
    067. Rita Ora - Let You Love Me

Rita Ora has such a pleasant voice - she reminds me of Rihanna when she (Rita) is at her best - and "Let You Love Me" sees the British hitmaker paired with a big electro-pop chorus lamenting on how she wishes she could be vulnerable enough to let herself be loved. On several levels, this song is probably not super creative, but it is highly effective, and a massive grower. It builds well to that breezy exclamation of a final chorus.
    Code:
    Play Count: 37
    066. Kelsea Ballerini - I Hate Love Songs

A three-minute denunciation of every cliché love trope in the book, "I Hate Love Songs" is Kelly Clarkson in style and Carrie Underwood in sound, so there was every reason for me to gravitate to it. And the fact that it's still a love song is so meta that I have to love it. I do appreciate, though, the less flowery declaration of love. It's rare to hear love expressed through lyrics steeped in such realism.
    Code:
    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #6
    Play Count: 21

Superstar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-12-18, 11:23

As a huge fan of the 'Street Fighters' game series, I was already excited for 'Chun-Li' only for its title. And the song itself doesn't disappoint. My favorite part is the 'Lara been Croft' part, as I also love Tomb Raider.

'Everytime' is a nice track.
    'No Tears Left To Cry' might be my favorite song by Ariana. It made me buy an album by her for the first time - 'sweetener'.

'Trap' is cute. 'Delicate' is not one of my favorites off 'reputation', but it makes a good single.
    'Let You Love Me' is a bop.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-12-18, 12:35

from the last batch of songs, I really like the Shakira, Taylor and Rita tracks, all of them will appear in my chart

never got the fuss over Netta and that song.

I checked out the Post Malone track now and I really don't like his whole style. that being said, there will be one Post Malone song in my chart

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-12-18, 23:20

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    As a huge fan of the 'Street Fighters' game series, I was already excited for 'Chun-Li' only for its title. And the song itself doesn't disappoint. My favorite part is the 'Lara been Croft' part, as I also love Tomb Raider.

'Everytime' is a nice track.
    'No Tears Left To Cry' might be my favorite song by Ariana. It made me buy an album by her for the first time - 'sweetener'.

'Trap' is cute. 'Delicate' is not one of my favorites off 'reputation', but it makes a good single.
    'Let You Love Me' is a bop.
    I love the Lara been Croft line, too!

Wow, your favourite Ari song! That's a big honour! How did you feel about Sweetener overall?

Yeah, "Getaway Car" and a few others are better, but "Delicate" turned out to be a huge grower. "Let You Love Me" grew on me, too.

from the last batch of songs, I really like the Shakira, Taylor and Rita tracks, all of them will appear in my chart

never got the fuss over Netta and that song.

I checked out the Post Malone track now and I really don't like his whole style. that being said, there will be one Post Malone song in my chart
    Aw, "Toy" is such a catchy anthem!

Looking forward to seeing which song got you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-12-18, 00:10

065. Carrie Underwood - Kingdom

The second of five entries from Carrie Underwood is "Kingdom", a neatly structured song about her imperfect nuclear family. I don't relate to this song on any level, but I still like hearing it just because it's good. Carrie provides her own background vocals here, and they're lovely. This is one of Cry Pretty's vocal highlights.
    Code:
    Play Count: 13
    064. Janelle Monáe - Django Jane

The first of five entries from the brilliantly talented Janelle Monáe, "Django Jane" is packed with a tonne of references to the accomplishments of notable black and female heroes and heroines. My favourite line is We ain't hidden no more, moonlit ni**a, lit ni**a, a reference to the two critically acclaimed films Monáe herself was a part of: Hidden Figures and the 2017 Best Picture winner at the Academy Awards, Moonlight, but this song really is a celebration of black excellence. How to Get Away with Murder, Scandal, James Baldwin, Serena Williams, and Monáe herself are highlighted here. In a year where the two biggest hip/hop females had a hugely public feud, Janelle quietly rapped her way into the year's best-of-emcees list - not bad for an R&B girl from Kansas!
    Code:
    Quality Rating: 8.4/10
    Play Count: 36
    063. G-Eazy & Halsey - Him & I

Halsey's voice has never sounded as gorgeous as it does on the addictive chorus of "Him & I", and G-Eazy's verses are pretty solid, too. It's a cute Bonnie and Clyde-type collaboration, where the two pledge themselves to each other in a 'til-death-do-us-part kind of way.
    Code:
    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #7
    Play Count: 16
    062. Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. Khalid, Post Malone, & SZA)

Strong enough on its own, Lorde enlisted the assistance of some of the industry's top young talent (and Khalid and Post Malone) to deliver a revised bomb that detonates with just as grand an explosion as the solo track. I love how Lorde and Khalid share a chorus, then Lorde and SZA, then the whole foursome close the song out on the final chorus. It's an eclectic group of people on paper, who don't share much in common style-wise, but they're able to come together and create something pretty special with this remix.
    Code:
    Play Count: 58
    061. Toni Braxton - Coping

As one of the finest vocalists to have emerged within the last three decades, Toni Braxton is no stranger to interpreting deeply emotional ballads, and making the listener feel every ounce of pain as the protagonists in her songs. "Coping" is added to that already lengthy list of songs where Toni accomplishes this feat; the full extent of her brokenness is almost palpable on "Coping". And it hurts, really hurts. I feel you, Toni.
    Code:
    Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #5
    Play Count: 22

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-12-18, 03:27

Gosh was Homemade Dynamite last year? Feels like 2014 ha.

Let Me Love You is a really nice tune, but the quality of songs this year was so good I couldn't find space for it. Better Now is also a bit of a bop. Not in love with any of these though,

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-12-18, 16:30

True, and you know how much of a pluviophile Janet is (as am I, tbh).
    That VOCABULARY, tho Even Mariah would need to Google that one!

I don't think I would have ever come across it if it weren't for you, so thanks!
    Yvw. Sadly, I don't think most people will ever come across it (or any Lauv song besides "I Like Me Better." If that...)

Indeed I was referring to Olly (of Y&Y) as I think Janelle is definitely more R&B than pop. I forgot about Hayley, but I don't like her music that much.
    Guess she needed my shout-out even more than I realized...

• It was your inclusion of the Pikachu line in your thread title that pushed me to check out "Toy" in the first place.
    • My brain always wants/tries to re-arrange "Let You Love Me" into "Let Me Love You" (damn you Mario...and Ari...and DJ Snake...and more) :x This one's hovering around a similar position in my preliminary year-end calculations.
    • Admittedly, I was pretty quick to brush "Django Jane" aside as the far-less-catchy step-sibling of "Make Me Feel" when Janelle dropped them both simultaneously. As the sun sets on 2018, I've been re-visiting Dirty Computer, and it makes so much sense that someone with such an appreciation for lyricism like yourself would be drawn to this track. Not to mention how you can spot (and unpack) all the MANY references without breaking a sweat.

Legend
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-12-18, 23:55

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    Gosh was Homemade Dynamite last year? Feels like 2014 ha.

Let Me Love You is a really nice tune, but the quality of songs this year was so good I couldn't find space for it. Better Now is also a bit of a bop. Not in love with any of these though,
    I think you'll say the same about the songs in this next set!

That VOCABULARY, tho Even Mariah would need to Google that one!
    A guy on Grindr actually taught me that word.

Yvw. Sadly, I don't think most people will ever come across it (or any Lauv song besides "I Like Me Better." If that...)
    Yeah, when I saw his Last.fm stats, I realised he wasn't as big as I thought he was.

• It was your inclusion of the Pikachu line in your thread title that pushed me to check out "Toy" in the first place.
    And I remember you kinda liking it/not hating it, right?

• My brain always wants/tries to re-arrange "Let You Love Me" into "Let Me Love You" (damn you Mario...and Ari...and DJ Snake...and more) :x This one's hovering around a similar position in my preliminary year-end calculations.
    Ah, glad we're on the same page with this one!

• Admittedly, I was pretty quick to brush "Django Jane" aside as the far-less-catchy step-sibling of "Make Me Feel" when Janelle dropped them both simultaneously. As the sun sets on 2018, I've been re-visiting Dirty Computer, and it makes so much sense that someone with such an appreciation for lyricism like yourself would be drawn to this track. Not to mention how you can spot (and unpack) all the MANY references without breaking a sweat.
    Yeah, "Django Jane" seemed more serious alongside the more colourful, catchy, fun "Make Me Feel", so I'm not surprised you brushed it aside early on. I liked it early on, but "Make Me Feel" is still superior, in my opinion.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 17-12-18, 00:53

Quick catch up, lots of songs I really love but some particular favourites:
    Zayn - Entertainer
    Maroon 5 - Girls Like You
    Zac Efron & Zendaya - Rewrite The Stars
    Shawn Mendes - Lost In Japan
    Ella Mai - Trip
    Bebe Rexha - Meant To Be
    Martin Garrix - Ocean
    Toni Braxton - Long As I Live
    Khalid & Normani - Love Lies
    Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry
    Troye Sivan - My My My
    Janelle Monae - Django Jane

Rewrite The Stars is the right side of cheesy for me, I've always liked Zac's voice and him and Zendaya sound awesome on this. A few of the songs above feel really low, for me, as I love really love them. But looking forward to see what is coming up!