View Poll Results: Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2018?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Breathin

4 23.53%
  • Fall in Line

0 0%
  • God Is a Woman

7 41.18%
  • Good Form

0 0%
  • Have It All

1 5.88%
  • I'll Never Love Again

2 11.76%
  • Raining Glitter

3 17.65%
  • Rocket

0 0%
  • Sanctify

0 0%
  • With You

0 0%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

Legend
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by » Fri January 4th, 2019, 06:28

Thank U Next is better than your top 2 combined, but 2018 was her year undoubtedly

Legend
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

by » Fri January 4th, 2019, 07:19

Nice to see Lorde this high
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Sat January 5th, 2019, 14:43

"God Is A Woman" has to be one of the best Pop songs of 2018. The video was amazing as well! "Breathin" is cute but I feel like it's slightly overrated by the fans.

I didn't expect "Pray For Me" to be THAT high. It's a really good song though but I feel like he has waaaay better songs.

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Wed January 9th, 2019, 07:00

Quote Originally Posted by JakeP
    Taking time out of my own top 100 of 2018 to focus on some other charts instead.
    Thanks for popping back in!

010. The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar - Pray for Me

I love reading your descriptions of the songs. One of several shared #1s from earlier in 2018. Both The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar are almost revolutionary in their approach to their music. For someone who tends to find most urban underwhelming, disappointing or just simply trash it's a blessing that we have The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar really mixing things up and making the genre interesting.

One of the things i loved about Pray for me was the backing music. It's so hard hitting and quite electronic with its edm influence despite still remaining very much an r'n'b rap song. Kendrick has been fascinating me since 2016 with his lyrical content and his delivery.
    Glad you appreciate the write-ups!

2018 was actually a great year for urban music, though that's down to some of the best R&B and hip/hop acts in the industry releasing albums. The core of those genres has been a bit iffy in the last few years, but there's always so much talent out there. The GP doesn't seem to be picking the best ones. :(

I agree with you on the backing music!

009. Lady Gaga - I'll Never Love Again

Stunningly beautiful ballad that couldn't be more heartfelt if it tried. I watched a video on YouTube about A star is born claiming that Lady Gaga recorded the vocals for this song shortly after her best friend lost her battle to cancer. That's raw emotion in those vocals when Lady Gaga sings "don't wanna feel another touch". However, i still think Shallow is truly excellent hence the reason why it kept this track off #1 in my chart.
    Yeah, the emotion really feels palpable on "I'll Never Love Again". "Shallow" is similarly excellent, but I think the emotion of "I'll Never..." is what gives it the edge.

008. Kylie Minogue - Raining Glitter

Yay so happy to see Kylie getting a top 10 entry. <3 This is such fun and i love that the tracks harks back to disco Kylie. Raining glitter was an instant smash upon release and then boosted following the album release. Going back to my earlier comment, i really expected to have bought more albums in 2018 but maybe because the overall quality of new albums really weren't top notch hence why Golden was the only album i bought in 2018.
    One of my early Kylie discoveries was "Your Disco Needs You", and "Raining Glitter" takes me back to that gem!

007. Jason Mraz - Have It All

Now i have to admit when it comes to Jason Mraz i'm only familiar with I'm yours and I won't give up, the latter because it became unavoidable on The x factor particularly in these last 5 years or so. I'm gonna check out this song purely out of curiosity and see what i think.
    I hope you enjoy it!

006. Christina Aguilera - Fall in Line (feat. Demi Lovato)

Ahh yes, the powerhouse duet. <3 I This was one of those songs where the chorus just grabbed me by the throat and refused to let go. I have to admit though as much as I enjoyed this track, it is Twice that won the war. <3
    "Twice" is classic Christina, but "Fall in Line" is such a massive anthem!

We discussed how this "flopped" in my chart although a #15 peak in my chart is still a good achievement. That said, it was lovely to hear Mariah sounding great on the new tracks i'd heard. I've still not managed to check out more of Caution though.
    Aw, you should! It's a fantastic album.

004. Lorde - Sober

Wow this did really well for a 2017 album track. Melodrama was another album i never fully checked out in 2017 and i'm listening to Sober now for the first time (well, better late than never i suppose ). I do love the slight twist on the track at 2:36 into the song. Again it's fascinating to think that every now and again an artist will release a track that just strikes a chord, or touches a nerve. Whatever it is, it's something that hits hard with strong impact.
    Yeah, "Sober" really knocked me for six when it finally connected with me. I highly recommend Melodrama - it's my favourite album of 2017!

003. En Vogue - Rocket

I feel like i'm so out of the loop here but my only knowledge of En Vogue is their track Don't let go (love) which i only discovered thanks to Little Mix performing the track on The x factor. I'll need to pay this a little more attention.
    "Don't Let Go (Love)" is their biggest hit, I believe, and it's one of the most stunning vocal performances ever, in my opinion. "Rocket" is absolutely beautiful. So warm. So divine. So romantic.

002. Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman
    001. Ariana Grande - Breathin

OMG What an amazing year end top 2 but i have to question where is Kylie Minogue's Breathe which i vividly remember this appearing regularly in your charts in the first half of 2018. Back to Ariana, if there's one thing everyone could agree on is that they definitely chose the best tracks to release as singles. I still find it astonishing that the music video for breathin not only incorporated subtle details about the new album but the fact the first new single thank u, next was released around the same time. I kinda like the idea of not having any particular strategy in place and just releasing music when there is clear demand.

Ariana was without doubt one of my artists of 2018 so let's see just how well she fared in my own top 100 of 2018.
    "Breathe" was just a tad old for consideration. If I did a retro-songs-I-either-discovered-or-rediscovered-in-2018 countdown, "Breathe" would easily make the top 5, though. It'd probably be #1 now that I think about it.

I know to expect "No Tears..." a lot higher on your chart than it was, but I'm excited to see how "God Is a Woman" and "Breathin" fare!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    Thank U Next is better than your top 2 combined, but 2018 was her year undoubtedly
    Aw, I thought you might've liked "God Is a Woman". Great that you appreciate "Thank U, Next", though!

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    Nice to see Lorde this high
    Happy to see the Lorde support!

Quote Originally Posted by abi
    "God Is A Woman" has to be one of the best Pop songs of 2018. The video was amazing as well! "Breathin" is cute but I feel like it's slightly overrated by the fans.

I didn't expect "Pray For Me" to be THAT high. It's a really good song though but I feel like he has waaaay better songs.
    Glad we agree "God Is a Woman" is epic, and I hope "Breathin" grows on you at some point.

He being Kendrick? What are your fave Kendrick songs?
    Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [150-126]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Sun January 13th, 2019, 05:57

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Quote Originally Posted by abi

Glad we agree "God Is a Woman" is epic, and I hope "Breathin" grows on you at some point.

He being Kendrick? What are your fave Kendrick songs?
    I mean the Weeknd. As for Kendrick, he'll never top "Loyalty" and "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" to me. Although, "All The Stars" & "King's Dead" are bops as well.

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by » Sat February 16th, 2019, 19:24

Quote Originally Posted by abi View Post
    I mean the Weeknd. As for Kendrick, he'll never top "Loyalty" and "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" to me. Although, "All The Stars" & "King's Dead" are bops as well.
    Ah, noted! The Weeknd is pretty consistent for me. There are few songs that he's recorded that I don't like. Kendrick is way more hit or miss for me. I would've expected to enjoy "Loyalty" more than I did, but I think he works better as a featured artist (like his verses on "Freedom" and "The Greatest").
    Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [150-126]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.