User Tag List

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2018 (#1)

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 06-02-19, 04:56

Chloe x Halle The Kids Are Alright
    * Year-End Chart History:
    N/A

* Voted by: Unbreakable34, croatiaxtina, bluecherry, cheapthrills, BeeBoy, Ska8er, DnBLover, cristy, heppolo, nuttah
    * Genre(s): R&B, Soul
    * Highlights: "Happy Without Me” (feat. Joey Bada$$), "Warrior (from A Wrinkle Time)”, "The Kids Are Alright”, "Grown (from Grown-ish)”

The Kids Are Alright is the debut studio album by American R&B duo Chloe x Halle. It was released on March 23, 2018, by Beyoncé's record label Parkwood Entertainment. The album features guest collaborations from rappers GoldLink, Kari Faux and Joey Bada$$.

The album is primarily a R&B album, although it features elements of trap. The album was supported by the title track, released as the lead single on January 3, 2018. Along with fourteen new songs, the album also featured "Grown", the track recorded by the duo that serves as the theme song for the American comedy series Grown-ish, as well as two songs from their 2016 EP Sugar Symphony. The song "Warrior" was featured in A Wrinkle in Time.

To promote the album, the duo performed the album track "Happy Without Me" and "The Kids Are Alright" on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, and released a 10-minute short film named after the album.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 06-02-19, 04:58

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    Thanks abi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska8er View Post
    Thank you for the profile pic avi! Kept the B, Kendrick and Cole ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by lambforever View Post
    Thanks abi ! Great avatar choices
    No problem. Might make more if anyone's interested.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 06-02-19, 05:04

Anyway, I did put The Weeknd somewhere in my top 10. "Call Out My Name" is undoubtedly his best song ever for me. The album would've been higher in mine if it's longer and if it's more consistent.

Didn't vote for Chloe x Halle even though I do really like "Happy Without Me". Now I'm listening to the album and it actually sounds really good, much better than my first listen a couple months ago.

Legend
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forever Young

Manager
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 06-02-19, 09:29

Chloe x Halle was my No.3 It really grew on me after a few listens and became one of my favourite records released last year. I knew they wouldn't be high but they deserve better than #26 for Happy Without Me alone already.
    The Weekend EP was nice and Call Out My Name is a good R&B tune but that's it, I'll wait for the album

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 06-02-19, 14:27

Voted for Chloe x Halle. It was a really strong debut, although it took a couple of listens for it to grown on me. It would have been even stronger if it had less tracks to be honest.

The Weeknd's EP was rubbish. Stopped using it within 3 days and haven't looked back since.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Legend
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 06-02-19, 16:10

voted for Chloe x Halle, it's not bad, some of the hooks and ideas are decent
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 06-02-19, 19:43

C x H deserved a few points for their vision and some incredible songs. But I see a lot of room for improvement still
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Manager
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proceed with Caution

Legend
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Floped and localed

Manager
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 07-02-19, 15:14

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    Didnt I vote for Chloe x Halle as well
    @abi so what's the tea

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 07-02-19, 15:41

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
    @abi so what's the tea
    He actually did not but please check your sent message again in case I was wrong @Loveguru

I already deleted my inbox.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-02-19, 04:39

24. (tie)

Tamia Passion Like Fire

Love Life (#9, 2015)
    Between Friends (#61, ‘00s)

* Voted by: JSparksFan, WEBofDESIRE, Gravity, Unbreakable34, Guru, ludichris, firefly_86, Swingin, minime
    * Highlights: "Leave It Smokin’”, "Deeper”, "It’s Yours”, "Today I Do”

Passion Like Fire is the seventh studio album by Canadian singer Tamia. It was released on September 7, 2018 through Plus One Music Group and 21 Entertainment. Her first project to be distributed by eOne Music, its release marked twenty years since the release of her solo debut single "Imagination" and its eponymous parent album. A breakaway from her previous album Love Life (2015), the singer worked with a smaller team of collaborators on the album, involving longtime contributors Shep Crawford and Salaam Remi as well as songwriters Lundon Knighten and Jonas Myrin and chief producer Lil' Ronnie and his team.

The album debuted at number 145 on the US Billboard 200, becoming her lowest-charting album yet, while reaching number 17 on Top R&B Albums chart. Its release was preceded by the singles "Leave It Smokin'" and "Today I Do", the former of which became her biggest hit in years, peaking at number two on Billboard's Adult R&B Songs. In support of the album, Tamia embarked on the Passion Like Fire Tour which launched on September 18, 2018 and visited most of the major US cities.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-02-19, 04:42

24. (tie)

Khalid Suncity

American Teen (#18, 2017)

* Voted by: mattsky, Gravity, croatiaxtina, ludichris, abidhaq, BeeBoy, Rihab, abi, heppolo
    * Genre(s): R&B, Pop
    * Highlights: "Better”, "Motion”, "Saturday Nights”, "Suncity (feat. Empress Of)”

Suncity is the first extended play by American singer Khalid. It was released on October 19, 2018 by RCA Records. It was supported by the single "Better", which was released on September 14, 2018. The song went on to reach the top ten in Australia, Belgium, New Zealand and Norway. It peaked at number 22 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The EP debuted at number eight on the Billboard 200.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-02-19, 04:43

The Internet Hive Mind

Ego Death (#32, 2015)

* Voted by: ForeverYoung, Unbreakable34, croatiaxtina, bluecherry, leomedar, DnBLover, UKMusicLova, heppolo, nuttah
    * Genre(s): R&B, Funk, Hip-Hop, Jazz
    * Highlights: "Come Over”, "Roll (Burbank Funk)”, "La Di Da”, "Hold On”

Hive Mind
    is the fourth studio album by American R&B band the Internet. It was released on July 20, 2018 by Columbia Records. It was preceded by the singles "Roll (Burbank Funk)", "Come Over" and "La Di Da". Hive Mind received widespread acclaim from critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 83 based on 20 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-02-19, 09:58

Nice to see Hive Mind getting so much love. Great album from a fantastic group.

Legend
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-02-19, 13:45

Suncity was a pleasant surprise, most songs are great and not coma inducing like his debut album was.

Passion Like Fire is not my favorite Tamia album but it was a decent add to her discography.
    Floped and localed

Manager
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-02-19, 14:33

Cant believe i didnt vite for khalid as i like his style and this album was an ok effort..

Hive mind was a good effort and happy it ranked this high
    Proceed with Caution

Manager
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 10-02-19, 18:56

I love Khalid's voice and the EP was really good. The only EP I voted for. Have checked out the Hive Mind but didn't fully get into it by the time I created the list but it's a good effort

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-02-19, 11:38

Only now played Mac Miller's Swimming and damn... Such a good album. Should have voted for it.

Manager
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-02-19, 17:18

Justin Timberlake Man of the Woods

The 20/20 Experience (#2, 2013)
    The 20/20 Experience - 2 of 2 (#11, 2013)
    FutureSex/LoveSounds (#13, ‘00s)
    Justified (#47, ‘00s)

* Voted by: heartlocked, Erotica, Unbreakable34, stevyy, firefly_86, Mainshow, abi, Tansike, spiritboy
    * Genre(s): R&B, Country, Pop, Soul
    * Highlights: "Higher Higher”, "Supplies”, "Morning Light” (feat. Alicia Keys), "Say Something” (feat. Chris Stapleton)

Man of the Woods is the fifth studio album by American singer-songwriter Justin Timberlake. It was released on February 2, 2018. The production of the album was handled by Timberlake, The Neptunes, Timbaland, Danja, J-Roc, Eric Hudson, and Rob Knox. The record sees Timberlake experimenting with elements of R&B, funk, pop, soul, and Americana. The album is named after his son Silas, whose name means "Man of the forest". The album's first single "Filthy" was released on January 5, 2018, followed by "Supplies" and "Say Something" on January 19 and 26, respectively. The album track "Man of the Woods" was also accompanied by a music video.

The album debuted atop the US Billboard 200, while "Filthy" and "Say Something" reached the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. To promote the album, Timberlake embarked on his sixth concert tour, The Man of the Woods Tour in March 2018. The single "Say Something" received a nomination for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance at the 61st Annual Grammy Awards.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-02-19, 17:20

20. (tie)

Zayn Icarus Falls

Mind of Mine (#13, 2016)

* Voted by: stevyy, abidhaq, JeyBeMust, abc121209, Mainshow, abi, Tansike, spiritboy
    * Genre(s): R&B, Pop, Alt-R&B
    * Highlights: "There You Are”, "Let Me”, "Fingers”, "Entertainer”

Icarus Falls is the second studio album by English singer and songwriter Zayn, released on 14 December 2018 by RCA Records.

"Let Me" was released on 12 April 2018 as the lead single from the album and peaked at number 20 on the UK Singles Chart. "Entertainer" was released as the album's second single on 23 May and peaked at number 95 in the UK. "Sour Diesel" was released as the album's third single on 18 July. "Too Much" featuring Timbaland was released as the album's fourth single on 2 August and charted at number 79 in the UK. "Fingers" was released as the album's fifth single on 18 October and "No Candle No Light" featuring Nicki Minaj was released as the album's sixth single on 15 November.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-02-19, 17:21

20. (tie)

Jorja Smith Lost & Found
    N/A

* Voted by: Marcus, croatiaxtina, delapuerta, Jonathan, BeeBoy, UKMusicLova, Swingin, cristy, nuttah, minime
    * Highlights: "Blue Lights”, "Where Did I Go?”, "Teenage Fantasy”, "February 3rd”

Lost & Found is the debut studio album by English singer songwriter Jorja Smith. It was released on 8 June 2018 by FAMM, with distribution from The Orchard. Following a move to London in 2015, Smith began focusing on her musical aspirations. The following year, Smith released the single "Blue Lights" on SoundCloud. The song was picked up by Stormzy, Skrillex and notably Drake, who would go on to feature Smith on his playlist, More Life (2017). The rise in popularity led Smith to release her debut EP, Project 11 (2016) and begin work on her debut studio album. Writing and recording for the album took place over five years in London and Los Angeles. The sessions featured contributions from producers such as Jeff Kleinman, Michael Uzowuru, Tom Misch, Maaike Lebbing, among others.

Upon release, Lost & Found received acclaim from critics, who praised the album's composition, style, lyrical content and vocal performance. Lost & Found debuted and peaked at number three on the UK Albums Chart and number one on the regions R&B charts, where it was eventually certified silver by the British Phonographic Industry for shipments of 60,000 copies. Internationally the album performed moderately making appearances on charts in the United States, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland. It was supported by the singles: "Blue Lights", "Where Did I Go?", "Teenage Fantasy" and "February 3rd".

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-02-19, 17:28

Zayn was my #3. If he had cut short the album into a solid 12-track record, it would've been easily my #1. "There You Are" might be one of the Poppiest song of the album, but it is really THAT song. I'm legit surprised they haven't pushed it further. I heard it on the radio a couple times but it seems like it's struggling to take off here. "If I Got You" as well - it's one those songs that might succeed with some help from Spotify playlists. The R&B songs on the album are really good also but it's very obvious that they're bound to be flopping (just like y'all who didn't vote for the album). Pop radios wouldn't play his R&B stuff, Urban radios ain't touching them either - unless he has Chris Brown on the remix or something.

I put Man of the Woods somewhere in my top 10. I know 2018 wasn't really a good for year for him but honestly, the album was actually not bad. It has some solid songs. Please everybody check out that song I embedded, "Higher Higher" - it's not a single but for me, it's one of the best things he's ever recorded. I don't even know what genre that song is, it's not R&B, it's not Country either - it's just a really great song! Deserved a Grammy tbh (the song, not the album).