Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Tansike's Year-End Charts 2018 [Mammy Awards]

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 06-01-19, 20:13

Yeah, "First Light" isn't a stand-out for me from Brave Enough. It's still good, though; there really isn't a bad track on that album. We're on the same page with "Solo", too. I love the production and emotion of it. "I'm a Mess" is just okay for me.
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 07-01-19, 22:12

Yes to Solo, yes to I'm A Mess but mostly YES to Monsters, UKmix is proving it was the best song on the night after all!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-01-19, 06:29

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98
    Harsh but I guess it's a positive thing that Sweetener had so much other quality material to offer that it totally eclipsed/made you forget about the promo single you'd been loving...?
    That’s not even the case, it’s more like “The Light Is Coming” is a great song on its own, but it fits the least to the album from all songs IMO. So listening to “Sweetener” from start to finish, “The Light” seems out of place the most. Also, it didn’t help that I overplayed it as a promo single; it’s more repetitive than all other songs so having overplayed it was another reason why I was over it so quickly.

Yeah, I've got mixed feelings about how it's all unfolded. "Thank U, Next" became so massive that the timing of its release was clearly right in some ways...but if she's not actually dropping a new album super soon, I don't understand why she had to bail on Sweetener so abruptly and prematurely. Would TUN have done as well if the Sweetener era had gone on for 4-5+ singles before releasing it? I'd think so, but maybe it had such clear smash potential that she/her team didn't want to sit on it any longer? She does call it a "smash" right in the song's lyrics. Long story short: I love TUN, and I've loved watching it dominate the charts, but it does feel like Sweetener was done a disservice.
    I agree on all that! I guess we will never know the original plan behind all that. Maybe the personal aspects play a bigger role than we think, as “Sweetener” was recorded when she was together with Pete, and she most likely just wanted to move on from that.

Ooh....I love learning that we're even more connected than I realize sometimes! <3
    <3

There was so much buzz around him when he was dropping "Jealous," "Chains," and "Close" (partially due to him constantly taking his clothes off)...but then it all just completely vanished :x He hasn't even dented most official charts since 2016, and the only time I've seen his name in headlines lately was for his wedding.
    Good point… I never even thought about this, but Nick taking off his clothes really was the biggest part of his promo and it worked A shame he doesn’t have more success, as I think he’s got a great voice, is a good performer and definitely recorded some awesome material.

• Although a video is better than nothing, "Strangers" really wasn't done justice, and I don't understand why either. It's not like there'd been any Grimes/Poppy-type drama between Halsey and Lauren that would impede promotion. Why did four other tracks get videos first? Why not send it to radio when they did finally drop a video for it? Even if some stations or channels would boycott it for its lady-lovin' themes, they might've been able to use that controversy to their advantage in some ways, and the song is catchy enough that people would probably get on-board even if they did find the message "inappropriate." For me, the public rejection of "Alone" was the greatest tragedy of the HFK era but I absolutely understand why fans are baffled and annoyed by how "Strangers" was treated by Halsey's team.
    • I had no idea that Bebe sampled Lindsey! It's awesome to see some of your faves inspire each other (especially two that I wouldn't normally think to pair up, like Lindsey and Bebe). I still struggle to get as hooked on/enthusiastic about strictly-instrumental tracks as you do, but "First Light" is among the more engaging examples that I've heard. Of course, if anyone can give songs like this mass appeal, Lindsey's clearly the one for the job!
    • Your description of "Solo" is really on-point! I decided to check out What Is Love? last week, and it got me back into "Solo" in a big way (after it had already been among my 40 biggest hits of 2018). There's a lot to love about this tune, especially the clever way they chose to distort and repeat certain key words in the chorus, but I think it was the way that Demi sings "here on my oOoOwn..." that hooked me the most right away.
    • That Bebe crush of yours has really taken her far. ;)
    So, so true! Halsey and Lauren are even very good friends and they’re so supportive for the LGBT community, so I really expected them to go full promo on “Strangers” and also do a better video (LGBT-themed would have been amazing). I guess they were afraid of pushing this as it was already a promo single before the album came out and it was already a little success (a few chart entries), so they thought it wouldn’t make sense to push it as a proper single as well? And then Halsey wanted to move on with “Without Me”, which also was a good decision after all…
    Yes, the flop of “Alone” was shocking too, especially following the big success that was “Bad At Love”…

She did! <3 It was so random but also sooo good to see it as a fan of both artist, but especially for Lindsey, as she’s still not really mainstream despite being so successful. So seeing her arriving in the ‘mainstream world’ was great. I don’t know if you ever checked out some of Lindsey’s earlier songs, but I’d really recommend her breakthrough hit ”Crystallize” or the song ”Roundtable Rival” which has one of her best videos ever!

Yeah, I already saw the impact of the album on your charts Awesome that you got back into “Solo”! Personally, the intro into “Solo” is my favorite part of the whole song, it’s just so beautiful!

Yep. 2018 was a fantastic year for Bebe!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-01-19, 06:32

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Yeah, "First Light" isn't a stand-out for me from Brave Enough. It's still good, though; there really isn't a bad track on that album. We're on the same page with "Solo", too. I love the production and emotion of it. "I'm a Mess" is just okay for me.
    Glad you still think it's good. I'm already so excited for new Music by Lindsey. I feel like she could release a new album later this year, it's about time as "Brave Enough" already is three years old this summer
    YESSS for "Solo" <3 Aw, nice to hear that you think "I'm A Mess" is okay, that's better than not liking it at all I guess

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    Yes to Solo, yes to I'm A Mess but mostly YES to Monsters, UKmix is proving it was the best song on the night after all!
    Glad you're enjoying all of them - I knew you would love that high position for "Monsters"!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-01-19, 06:34

4. Within Temptation feat. Jacoby Shaddix – The Reckoning

Listen to "The Reckoning"

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-3-4-4-5-9-13-7-2-9-16-20-SC / 14w
    Certification: PLATINUM

Dutch symphonic metal pioneers Within Temptation obviously get a very high spot on my list as well with “The Reckoning”, the lead single of their upcoming seventh studio album “Resist”, which will be released in three weeks. The song features Papa Roach singer Jacoby Shaddix, who isn’t featured in the video. The intro alone already gave me goosebumps on my first listen and they really created yet another brilliant tune, though it’s not as symphonic metal as their earlier stuff and more commercial. They also served a pretty awesome music video. Definitely an artist who could do well on next years countdown as well.

3. Marshmello & Anne-Marie – Friends

Listen to "Friends"

Chartrun: 5-*1*-1-2-3-5-5-6-3-7-6-2-9-18-25-33-Out / 16w
    Certification: PLATINUM

Probably a rather surprising entry in my Top10 is a song which smashed my weekly charts at the beginning of the year and reigned the Year-To-Date Charts for several months: “Friends” by Marshmello and Anne-Marie. Following songs like “Strangers”, “Monsters”, “Solo" and “I’m A Mess”, this is yet another proof that 2018 was a great year for pop music. I couldn’t get enough of this for weeks but eventually ended up overplaying this, hence the sudden drops on my weekly charts. I still like this a lot though and I’d say it’s the best thing from both artists so far.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 08-01-19, 15:30

Friends is a bop! I like it more again after a break. Great production.

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-01-19, 06:17

I feel like I checked out "The Reckoning" and thought it was pretty decent. Not a big fan of "Friends", though.

So this means you also have an all-Ariana year-end top 2 this year? I have a feeling it'll be "God Is a Woman" at #2, and "No Tears Left to Cry" in the top spot, but let's see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-01-19, 07:54

Not a big fan of "Friends", though.
    Yes, the prosodical moments are more than I can accept.
    Top 10 - 15.03.2019.

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-01-19, 11:47

Friends is a bop! I like it more again after a break. Great production.
    It really is! Glad you like it more again

I feel like I checked out "The Reckoning" and thought it was pretty decent. Not a big fan of "Friends", though.

So this means you also have an all-Ariana year-end top 2 this year? I have a feeling it'll be "God Is a Woman" at #2, and "No Tears Left to Cry" in the top spot, but let's see!
    Yes, I think you checked it out when it was my number one last year. Aw, I think "Friends" is a strong pop bop...

We'll find out soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Top10
    Not a big fan of "Friends", though.
    Yes, the prosodical moments are more than I can accept.
    Aww... it's a bop for me :(

Legend
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-01-19, 12:27

Good to see 'Strangers', great song
    'Solo' and 'I'm A Mess' are fantastic. <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-01-19, 15:19

''The Reckoning'' is an ambitious, heavy and polished utopia of a song.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-01-19, 16:11

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    Good to see 'Strangers', great song
    'Solo' and 'I'm A Mess' are fantastic. <3
    So happy you like these pop bangers from last year

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    ''The Reckoning'' is an ambitious, heavy and polished utopia of a song.
    Yas! Glad you came by to comment, I knew you were like one of just a very few people who enjoy Within Temptation every now and then <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-01-19, 18:30

2. Ariana Grande – God Is A Woman

Listen to "God Is A Woman"

Chartrun: *1*-2-1-1-1-2-4-6-5-5-6-13-12-5-5-6-8-9-8-8-11-9-5-SC / 23w
    Certification: 2x PLATINUM

Ariana Grande’s “God Is A Woman” ends up at the runner-up spot of the Year-End Charts 2018. The second single of her “Sweetener” album is pop heaven and hands down one of her finest moments ever. The impressive thing about her stats are that it’s the first time since 2014 the second placed song of my Year-End Charts has a multiple Platinum certification plus it has even over 100 points more than the number one from last year. It’s also the longest running number one single of the year on my weekly charts with four weeks. But there still was an even stronger one last year…

1. Ariana Grande – No Tears Left To Cry

Listen to "No Tears Left To Cry"

Chartrun: *1*-1-4-9-5-3-4-9-12-8-9-5-2-3-6-8-10-1-3-2-2-4-7-18-17-11-12-15-18-21-22-29-31-28-21-SC / 35w
    Certification: 2x PLATINUM

2018 was definitely Ariana Grande’s year and yes, she owns the two best songs of the year with “God Is A Woman” at the runner-up spot and “No Tears Left To Cry” at number one. With 1,074 points, “No Tears” not only crossed the rare 1,000 chart points mark since the expansion from My Charts to a Singles Top40 in 2013, but it even got the fourth highest points ever during a calendar year!

A lot has been said about this and all the positive reviews this got were very well deserved. It’s simply perfection and has a high chance of ending up as my most favorite song ever by the sympathetic songstress. From brilliant visuals, to stunning live performances, with catchy yet not too commercial verses to a chorus made in pop heaven, this is it! If there’s one thing I’d like to moan about when it comes to “No Tears Left To Cry”, it would be how the heavenly intro to the song in the video version is missing on the single version.

Legend
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 10-01-19, 19:13

"God Is a Woman" is brilliant, a larger-than-life spectacle with a deeply powerful message. Ariana threw the kitchen sink of pop diva excellence at us with that song and its epic video, and I loved everything about it. It's a flawless masterpiece.

Admittedly, I'm not quite as impressed by "No Tears Left to Cry", but I do adore its message, appreciate its video, and respect that you and so many others hold it in such high esteem. It's a good #1!

Fantastic countdown, as expected!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 10:50

^ Thanks for commenting! I knew you would love my #2 and like the #1... so we share the same #2 in 2018 :cool: As I said over in your YEC, "God Is A Woman" would have been an obvious YEC #1 in some other years, but "No Tears" was even stronger for me. She really slayed in 2018 and here's hope she may do similar in 2019.

Thank you so much!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 11:03

Before starting with the main countdown for the albums, I’d like to mention some highlights from the bubbling under positions.
    124. Anette Olzon – Shine

Listen to "Moving Away"

Chartrun in 2014: *1*-1-2-1-3-5-7-6-3-4-4-3-4-4-3-1-2-1-3-1-1-2-3-3-1-2-5-7-5-8-11-9-12-11-15-12-9-9-12- / 39w
    Chartrun in 2015: 15-16-14-13-10-6-8-9-5-4-4-5-3-3-3-*2*-3-4-6-7-10-10-10-14-15-13-11-12-16-19-17-13-11-14-19-Out / 35w
    Chartrun in 2016: 8-4-5-3-5-*2*-5-4-6-8-13-18-Out-RE 19-Out-RE 17-12-18-Out-RE 20-17-Out / 18w
    Chartrun in 2017: 12-14-11-8-7-15-Out-RE 16-Out-RE 10-10-9-9-*4*-6-15-17-Out-RE 5-12-14-20-Out-RE 15-19-Out / 21w
    Chartrun in 2018: 14-12-*10*-13-16-Out / 5w
    Certification: 7x PLATINUM
    Ranking in the YEC 2014: #1
    Ranking in the YEC 2015: #3
    Ranking in the YEC 2016: #10
    Ranking in the YEC 2017: #15

For the first time after four years, Anette Olzon’s “Shine” doesn’t end up high on my countdown, which probably also has to do with her having released a collaboration album called “The Dark Element” in late 2017. “Shine” is not only one of my most favorite albums of all time, but currently also the one with the highest certification ever on my charts.

82. Jessie J – R.O.S.E.

Listen to "Dopamine"

Chartrun: *1*-6-14-Out / 3w
    Certification: -

Jessie J actually released two albums in 2018, her Christmas release “This Christmas Day” and a bit earlier in the year the four-piece-EP “R.O.S.E.”. Unfortunately, this is being highlighted due to the wrong reasons, as it’s by far the lowest album on the countdown that topped my weekly charts in 2018. It’s not even that bad, the above mentioned “Dopamine” and the album track “Petty” are actually quite good. The whole release strategy for this was a mess though.

81. Kylie Minogue – Golden

Listen to "Raining Glitter"

Chartrun: *4*-10-14-16-19-Out / 5w

An album that I wouldn’t have highlighted if it weren’t for the other countdowns on UKMix. Kylie definitely smashed a lot of other personal charts in 2018 and her topics were some of the most successful ones. Even though “Golden” didn’t make the biggest impact on me, it’s still a success in some way as it’s only the second time ever I heard one of her albums in full, with the other (“Kiss Me Once”) having peaked at #11 on my weekly charts.

69. Clean Bandit – What Is Love?

Listen to "Mama" (ft. Ellie Goulding)

Chartrun: *1*-2-9-SC / 3w

Clean Bandit finally released their long awaited second album “What Is Love?” in late 2018, so this one is expected to make an impact on next years countdown. Apart from all the awesome singles we got prior the album release, there are still some bops left. Especially the Ellie Goulding collaboration “Mama” should be a single, but “Should’ve Known Better” with Anne-Marie and “Nowhere” with Rita Ora & Kyle could work as well.

54. Rita Ora – Phoenix

Listen to "Soul Survivor"

Chartrun: *1*-2-1-5-SC / 4w

From one current album to another: Rita Ora’s “Phoenix” was already released late in 2018 and therefor doesn’t make it high on my list, but I’m quite sure it will end up much higher on next years list. This is a very strong pop record and she definitely surpassed my expectations with it. The album closer “Soul Survivor” is brilliant, with tracks like “New Look”, “Only Want You” or “First Time High” being strong pop tunes.

51. Noah Cyrus – Good Cry EP

Listen to "Punches" (with LP)

Chartrun: *1*-1-3-6-15-Out / 5w

Just missing out the countdown by one unlucky point is Noah Cyrus’ debut EP “Good Cry”. Noah is known for releasing random singles that all have different genres, so it was interesting to see the direction of her debut EP. Luckily, this actually has a concept, and it works very well with Noah’s voice. It’s basically a sad, moody pop EP. The LP duet “Punches” MUST be a single in 2019, it’s so good!

For all Bubbling Under positions (#205 - #51), please check out the second post in this topic.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 14:50

People keep getting the wrong Ariana song at number one :p
    I adore God Is A Woman, and I do like your number one.

I feel like We Were Just Kids would be a viable single from Clean Bandit.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 18:09

You've won 2018 - two Ariana songs in the top 2. And so deserved, she was the ultimate queen of 2018 and surely 2019 too! You listened to lots of albums mate!! Rita's was a solid pop album, I was impressed but I'm sure she can do better.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 22:23

Great top 2, Ariana really owned this year! No Tears is truly one of her best songs

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 17:56

People keep getting the wrong Ariana song at number one :p
    I adore God Is A Woman, and I do like your number one.

I feel like We Were Just Kids would be a viable single from Clean Bandit.
    Haha I think it's quite amazing how basically everyone loved one of Ariana's singles from last year yet everyone has a different fave.
    Glad to hear that!

Yeah, that one is nice, too!

Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova
    You've won 2018 - two Ariana songs in the top 2. And so deserved, she was the ultimate queen of 2018 and surely 2019 too! You listened to lots of albums mate!! Rita's was a solid pop album, I was impressed but I'm sure she can do better.
    Thanks, glad to hear that! She really was and I'm looking so forward to what she brings in 2019. She's currently on such a high with her career and it's exciting to watch what she does next.
    Yes, 2018 was actually a very strong year for me and there were so many good albums IMO. Good to hear you like Rita's album, for me it's even better than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    Great top 2, Ariana really owned this year! No Tears is truly one of her best songs
    She did! Glad you're enjoying it too

Superstar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 18:36

Pretty amazing Top 2, indeed! Top 3 actually for me!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 20:01

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    Pretty amazing Top 2, indeed! Top 3 actually for me!
    YAS! Happy to hear that! "Friends" was such a bop, glad we agree on that

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 21:58

50. Halestorm – Vicious

Listen to "The Silence"

Chartrun: *3*-6-8-10-16-13-15-20-18-Out / 9w

The countdown starts with “Vicious”, the fourth studio album by American rock band Halestorm. Even though I knew the band for a while, this was the first album I got from them and it turned out better than expected. Frontwoman Lzzy Hale got a fantastic voice and this is a nice album even for casual rock listeners.

49. Pentatonix – PTX Presents: Top Pop, Vol. I

Listen to "Attention"

Chartrun: *5*-6-9-7-8-13-19-Out / 7w

Since their breakthrough with “That&#39;s Christmas To Me” I’m always here for some Pentatonix. On “PTX Presents: Top Pop, Vol. I” they covered some big pop hits from the latest years and also presented their new bass singer. Not only for fans.

48. Soundtrack – Bright: The Album

Listen to "Home"

Chartrun: *1*-1-4-9-13-18-Out / 6w

The year 2018 already started with a bang, as the ‘Bright’ soundtrack was the first weekly number one of last year. The main soundtrack song “Home” is definitely the gem of this compilation, but there’s even more to discover. This was a brilliant start for a fantastic year.

47. Inna – Nirvana

Listen to "Hands Up"

Chartrun in 2017: 2-*1*- / 2w
    Chartrun in 2018: 4-*2*-2-7-10-15-17-19-Out / 8w
    Certification: GOLD
    Ranking in the YEC 2017: #89

Romanian dance-pop queen Inna just released her latest album “Nirvana” before the year 2017 ended, so she already appeared on the 2017 list and is much higher in 2018. She’s still one of the most consistent artist when it comes to dance-pop-gems and she proved it again with this record.

46. Florence + The Machine – High As Hope

Listen to "No Choir"

Chartrun: *3*-4-7-9-11-13-16-Out / 7w

2018 was a year when I finally got into many artists for the first time, Florence + The Machine being one of them. I obviously already knew some of her singles but never really bothered to check her out more, but with “High As Hope” she really got me and this was definitely not the last album I got from her.

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 21:59

45. Imagine Dragons – Origins

Listen to "Bad Liar"

Chartrun: *1*-3-10-5-8-14-SC / 6w

Following the massive “Evolve”, Imagine Dragons already moved on with another album in late 2018 called “Origins”. For a long time I wasn’t sure what to think about this, as apart from the singles nothing really clicked with me and felt kinda lackluster, especially compared to “Evolve”. However, many tracks grew on me and this turned out as a good pop album after all. It’s no masterpiece but definitely also nothing bad.

44. The Weeknd – My Dear Melancholy

Listen to "Call Out My Name"

Chartrun: *1*-2-6-9-14-15-17-19-Out / 8w

No idea what went wrong with The Weeknd in 2018, but following two brilliant albums, this mini album felt like a little letdown. It’s still good from start to finish, but I really thought there should have been more, plus we never got the promised follow-up. This whole era felt so short lived.

43. Camila Cabello – Camila

Listen to "She Loves Control"

Chartrun: *2*-3-4-8-11-16-18-Out / 7w

Camila Cabello’s debut album was also an early highlight of 2018. A good pop record from start to finish and a great way to start her solo career. Unfortunately, I think the singles were poorly picked, especially “She Loves Control” deserved its time to shine and I feel like this era could have been much bigger.

42. Mike Shinoda – Post Traumatic

Listen to "Can&#39;t Hear You Now"

Chartrun: *2*-4-7-9-10-11-17-Out / 7w

The solo debut album by Linkin Park’s Mike Shinoda was a must-check-out for me, and it turned out as solid as expected. “Can’t Hear You Now” is easily the best thing on the record.

41. Epica – Epica Vs. Attack On Titan Songs

Listen to "Crimson Bow And Arrow"

Chartrun: *3*-4-5-7-9-14-17-Out / 7w

Dutch symphonic metal band Epica closes this group with this weird release. It’s just a mini album and they’re doing songs for the Anime ‘Attack On Titan’, and it works surprisingly well!