Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Tansike's Year-End Charts 2018 [Album #2 - #1]

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 04:50

Ariana really came thru in 2018 with "God Is A Woman"! One of the best Pop songs of the year for sure. Unfortunately, the album is very meh to me.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 08:00

'High As Hope' is okay. I have never been into Florence + The Machine in the first place but always check out new music by them. It's just not something I could listen to over and over again.

'Origins' is good but I agree with you, something kinda misses on the record when you compare it to 'Evolve' (their best album IMO!).

'My Dear Melancholy' was a nice surprise.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 17:30

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    That’s not even the case, it’s more like “The Light Is Coming” is a great song on its own, but it fits the least to the album from all songs IMO. So listening to “Sweetener” from start to finish, “The Light” seems out of place the most. Also, it didn’t help that I overplayed it as a promo single; it’s more repetitive than all other songs so having overplayed it was another reason why I was over it so quickly.
    Ah, OK - I hadn't thought about "The Light Is Coming" feeling out-of-place on Sweetener, but I'll keep that in mind the next time I play through the whole album in order. I can definitely relate to over-playing a promo single, though! I had the same experience with the title track to Tay's Speak Now, which I played a TON during the few weeks leading up to that album's release, but then hardly touched it again once the album actually dropped.

I agree on all that! I guess we will never know the original plan behind all that. Maybe the personal aspects play a bigger role than we think, as “Sweetener” was recorded when she was together with Pete, and she most likely just wanted to move on from that.
    Yeah, even though it doesn't seem like their breakup was SUPER messy/dramatic, I can totally understand her wanting to start a fresh chapter of her life with regard to her music as well. Out with the old, in with the new...

Good point… I never even thought about this, but Nick taking off his clothes really was the biggest part of his promo and it worked A shame he doesn’t have more success, as I think he’s got a great voice, is a good performer and definitely recorded some awesome material.
    ;) That. it. did!

...but even if he'd prefer to cover-up more now, the abrupt rejection of his material by the general public seems unduly harsh (from "Close" going Top 40 most places to nothing being able to chart at all). People are too fickle to handle sometimes.

She did! <3 It was so random but also sooo good to see it as a fan of both artist, but especially for Lindsey, as she’s still not really mainstream despite being so successful. So seeing her arriving in the ‘mainstream world’ was great. I don’t know if you ever checked out some of Lindsey’s earlier songs, but I’d really recommend her breakthrough hit ”Crystallize” or the song ”Roundtable Rival” which has one of her best videos ever!
    You'd shared "Roundtable Rival" before, since I'm pretty sure that was the first time I realized just how much effort and creativity she puts into her videos! I recall Akini stanning for "Crystallize," but it's not ringing many bells as I listen to it now. I'll have to add it and get more Lindsey in my life!

"Probably rather surprising" is right! I didn't realize "Friends" had done well enough to land way up at No. 3 I guess it helps that it debuted back in mid-February, so it had almost the entire year to accumulate points. I never got massively into this one myself, but you've generally been better about appreciating Anne-Marie than I have. This tune probably has more personal relevance for you too, since I imagine you often have to remind people that you're just f-r-i-e-n-d-s/they don't stand a chance. ;)
    • GIAW is such a bold track designed to send some very relevant messages...but as an actual listening experience, it falls a little short for me I love and respect what Ari was trying to do here, but there's something missing that kept me from replaying it as much as many of her other songs. It was great watching it win over people who'd previously dismissed her, though, and the video is easily among 2018's finest.
    • That said, I'm totally on-board with NTLTC emerging victorious here! Although I liked this song well enough when it first dropped, I had a feeling it might grow old fast (partially because the catchiest part for me, "I'm pickin' it up, pickin' it up, I'm lovin', I'm livin', I'm pickin' it up", seemed like it could go from catchy to grating pretty quickly). Instead, the overall empowering, encouraging message made it one of my most re-visited songs throughout 2018. It really can lift you up when you need it. Will it still be your wake-up anthem in 2019? ;)

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 19:14

Quote Originally Posted by Blondini
    I much prefer God Is..
    That one is awesome as well

Quote Originally Posted by abi
    Ariana really came thru in 2018 with "God Is A Woman"! One of the best Pop songs of the year for sure. Unfortunately, the album is very meh to me.
    She did! Aw, sad to hear that. I thought the album could have been something for your taste... it actually grew on me a lot and I'd say it's my favorite album from her now.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    'High As Hope' is okay. I have never been into Florence + The Machine in the first place but always check out new music by them. It's just not something I could listen to over and over again.

'Origins' is good but I agree with you, something kinda misses on the record when you compare it to 'Evolve' (their best album IMO!).

'My Dear Melancholy' was a nice surprise.
    I'm having a similar experience with "High As Hope". A good album but nothing I'd spin all the time.

Definitely! "Evolve" is also their best album to me, so it was hard anyway to top that one with a follow-up. I guess if "Origins" would have been released after "Smoke + Mirrors", I would have a different opinion. It's good after all.

Glad you enjoyed it

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 19:40

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98
    Ah, OK - I hadn't thought about "The Light Is Coming" feeling out-of-place on Sweetener, but I'll keep that in mind the next time I play through the whole album in order. I can definitely relate to over-playing a promo single, though! I had the same experience with the title track to Tay's Speak Now, which I played a TON during the few weeks leading up to that album's release, but then hardly touched it again once the album actually dropped.
    This already happened to lead singles as well for me. So sometimes I try not to overplay them when I know I get an album soon, otherwise there's a chance I can't enjoy the whole album anymore. Especially with some of my most favorite artists...

Yeah, even though it doesn't seem like their breakup was SUPER messy/dramatic, I can totally understand her wanting to start a fresh chapter of her life with regard to her music as well. Out with the old, in with the new...
    Yep... I'm definitely looking forward to her new material. We will already get a new single next Friday, so 2019 is already starting strong!

;) That. it. did!

...but even if he'd prefer to cover-up more now, the abrupt rejection of his material by the general public seems unduly harsh (from "Close" going Top 40 most places to nothing being able to chart at all). People are too fickle to handle sometimes.
    True! I forgot that "Close" was actually a nice sized hit for him. Weird how nothing at all got stuck with the people, he released quite a few songs which could have been hits since then ("Find You" for example). Maybe he should take his clothes off again and see if it could work again?

You'd shared "Roundtable Rival" before, since I'm pretty sure that was the first time I realized just how much effort and creativity she puts into her videos! I recall Akini stanning for "Crystallize," but it's not ringing many bells as I listen to it now. I'll have to add it and get more Lindsey in my life!
    Oh, how could I forgot about that?! Glad you checked it out (again). Yes, "Crystallize" was a huge hit for Akini and also for me, it was the reason why I fell in love with Lindsey. It was also by far her biggest hit, but since not a lot is going on in the song, I guess people really have to be into instrumental songs to like that one.

"Probably rather surprising" is right! I didn't realize "Friends" had done well enough to land way up at No. 3 I guess it helps that it debuted back in mid-February, so it had almost the entire year to accumulate points. I never got massively into this one myself, but you've generally been better about appreciating Anne-Marie than I have. This tune probably has more personal relevance for you too, since I imagine you often have to remind people that you're just f-r-i-e-n-d-s/they don't stand a chance. ;)
    • GIAW is such a bold track designed to send some very relevant messages...but as an actual listening experience, it falls a little short for me I love and respect what Ari was trying to do here, but there's something missing that kept me from replaying it as much as many of her other songs. It was great watching it win over people who'd previously dismissed her, though, and the video is easily among 2018's finest.
    • That said, I'm totally on-board with NTLTC emerging victorious here! Although I liked this song well enough when it first dropped, I had a feeling it might grow old fast (partially because the catchiest part for me, "I'm pickin' it up, pickin' it up, I'm lovin', I'm livin', I'm pickin' it up", seemed like it could go from catchy to grating pretty quickly). Instead, the overall empowering, encouraging message made it one of my most re-visited songs throughout 2018. It really can lift you up when you need it. Will it still be your wake-up anthem in 2019? ;)
    Yes, it was a huge hit early in the year and the competition is also usually not as strong then as it is in the second year. This was in my head for so many weeks and I just couldn't get enough. Haha, yeah, Anne-Marie has done quite well on my charts, also with her album overall. I'd say it's even one of the best pop albums of 2018. As for the personal relevance, "Friends" was really just a 'fun song' for me, I loved to listen to such a carefree pure pop bop and being able to sing along as the lyrics were quite easy (IMO).

Aw, sad to hear that. It's funny though, basically everyone liked one of Ariana's single from last year a lot, but everyone has their own faves. I like that! Agree about the video, though I preferred the one for "No Tears".

Glad to hear you approve the #1 on my Year-End Charts! And I agree. I was afraid of this as well at first and am still surprised how fresh it still sounds after playing it so much (it also was on my most played song of 2018 with 470 plays, Within Temptation's "The Reckoning" was the second most played song, but far behind with 305 plays). Everything was right for me on this song and yes, it's still my wake-up anthem as of now

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 20:22

40. Imagine Dragons – Evolve

Listen to "I’ll Make It Up To You"

Chartrun in 2017: *2*-2-2-2-3-5-7-11-14-16-19-Out / 11w
    Chartrun in 2018: 17-12-16-15-18-Out-RE *1*-2-6-9-16-20-Out / 11w
    Certification: PLATINUM
    Ranking in the YEC 2017: #11

Aleady Imagine Dragons’ second appearance on my countdown, their third album “Evolve”. The set already made a huge impact on the Year-End Charts 2017 where it missed the Top10 by just one spot, this year it made the Top40. This is their best release to date and is strong from start to finish. I saw them live for the first time in April 2018, which was the main reason for its comeback on my weekly charts. OT, but Dan is so handsome!

39. Owl City – Cinematic

Listen to "Be Brave"

Chartrun: *4*-12-Out-RE 17-6-7-9-11-14-19-Out / 9w
    Certification: -

American Electronica artist Owl City also released a new record in 2018 called “Cinematic”, unfortunately it happened completely outside of the mainstream. He’s not discovering new things with this but it’s working much better again than it did on the previous album “Mobile Orchestra”. A nice surprise for me last year.

38. Madison Beer – As She Pleases

Listen to "Dead"

Chartrun: *2*-7-14-13-4-6-13-19-Out / 8w

I never really cared for Madison Beer, I just know Justin Bieber tried to make her happen a few years ago. So my expectations for this mini album were none at all, thankfully she actually impressed me with a very mature R&B/Pop sound.

37. Blair St. Clair – Call My Name

Listen to "Now Or Never"

Chartrun: *2*-3-4-8-12-14-15-18-Out / 8w

RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 10 contestant Blair St. Clair was definitely the most successful Drag artist for me in 2018, as she not only scored three Top20 entries on my weekly chart, but also a hit on the album charts with “Call My Life”. A very good dance/electronic album.

36. Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour

Listen to "High Horse"

Chartrun: *3*-7-8-11-15-14-18-10-14-17-Out / 10w

Kacey Musgraves’ “Golden Hour” is one of the most critically acclaimed albums of 2018, and that’s well deserved. She even got a Grammy nomination for Album of the year! Even though I knew about her for a while, 2018 was the first year I checked her out and I immediately loved what I heard. A great album, I would’ve loved more country elements.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 20:23

35. David Guetta – 7

Listen to "Say My Name"

Chartrun: *4*-6-9-9-13-Out-RE 16-13-9-20-18-19-Out / 11w

Following several years of throwing out random singles that were often not as strong as his previous work, French DJ and Producer David Guetta released a new album called “7” in the second half of 2018. To my own shock, this turned out much more solid than I thought it would, there are several bops and just two awful ones. “Say My Name” has been a clear standout since day one, so I’m glad they picked it as a single now.

34. Christina Aguilera – Liberation

Listen to "Fall In Line"

Chartrun: *3*-3-4-7-9-10-14-18-Out / 8w
    Certification: GOLD

I always appreciated what Christina has done for the music in the last few years, but I still wasn’t able to get into one of her albums in full, until “Liberation”. This is honestly a very strong pop album with several highlights. Her voice is good, the production is good, the lyrics are good… this really should have been a bigger success for her.

33. Ashley Tisdale – Music Sessions: Vol. 1 EP

Listen to "Toxic"

Chartrun: *2*-2-3-5-8-15-17-16-Out / 8w

Former Disney actress Ashley Tisdale has released two albums in 2007 and 2009 which were massive for me, so it was such a surprise for me when she dropped this cover EP. Even as a big fan of hers I had no expectations – it’s full of covers, after all – but they all turned out so cute and good! Her rendition of Britney’s classic “Toxic” is fabulous in my opinion, and I’m really looking forward to her long awaited third album “Symptoms”, which drops later in 2019.

32. Emmelie de Forest – History

Listen to "Rabbit"

Chartrun: *2*-5-6-8-8-12-17-16-17-18-Out / 10w

Danish singer Emmelie de Forest won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2013 with “Only Teardrops”. Ever since, I’m following her very closely and am always looking out for new stuff by the singer, as her debut album remains one of the best albums from the last few years to me. In 2018, she dropped this mini album “History” on her own, and it didn’t disappoint. It’s not as deep as “Only Teardrops” and has much less folk elements in there, but with “Going Ghost” and “Rabbit” there are still two very experimental songs plus some more good pop tunes.

31. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper – A Star Is Born

Listen to "Before I Cry"

Chartrun: *1*-1-4-6-6-10-17-Out / 7w

This group is closed by “A Star Is Born”, the biggest surprise when it comes to charts success in 2018. Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper not only starred in the movie, but also sang the songs on this soundtrack, that turned out as much stronger than anticipated. Of course, it’s Lady Gaga, so the expectations are always big, but I’m sure no one saw this success coming, and it’s all also well deserved. “Before I Cry” and “Heal Me” are my clear faves on this, but most of Gaga’s songs are actually really good.

Legend
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 00:19

Whoa, you have some big LPs in some pretty low places! :(

I'm gonna have to point out you saying Golden Hour needed more country elements, and in the same breath, spotlighting the most pop song on the album! It is a strong album, though - the second-best country LP of 2018 for me.

Liberation is a diverse record. The pop is first and foremost, but she experiments with different sounds, and most experiments actually turn out pretty great. For me, it's one of her tightest records in that there's no real filler. She benefitted tremendously from halving the number of songs she would normally throw on an album.

I wasn't expecting to like anything really from A Star Is Born. I wasn't even convinced I was going to see the movie. I figured it might've been another Cheek to Cheek situation where I could miss the whole affair, and not feel like I missed anything important. The soundtrack is a true event, though. Gaga slays. Just absolutely slays! So proud of her.
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 00:57

Madison Beer surprised me as well. There's some great little bops on that album, and her new song 'Hurts Like Hell' SO GOOD.
    'A Star Is Born' soundtrack is just so good. Really made me laminate my GaGa stan card.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 07:12

Camila is low, though completely agreed about the single picking situation. Golden Hour is nice.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 09:55

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Whoa, you have some big LPs in some pretty low places! :(

I'm gonna have to point out you saying Golden Hour needed more country elements, and in the same breath, spotlighting the most pop song on the album! It is a strong album, though - the second-best country LP of 2018 for me.

Liberation is a diverse record. The pop is first and foremost, but she experiments with different sounds, and most experiments actually turn out pretty great. For me, it's one of her tightest records in that there's no real filler. She benefitted tremendously from halving the number of songs she would normally throw on an album.

I wasn't expecting to like anything really from A Star Is Born. I wasn't even convinced I was going to see the movie. I figured it might've been another Cheek to Cheek situation where I could miss the whole affair, and not feel like I missed anything important. The soundtrack is a true event, though. Gaga slays. Just absolutely slays! So proud of her.
    I know :( But don't forget that over 200 different albums made my weekly charts in 2018, so being Top40 on the Year-End Charts is already a big success.

You got me! Even though "High Horse" is the most pop song on the record and me wishing more country elements, it's still the song which I played the most. Overall I felt like this could have been similar to Ashley Monroe's "Sparrow", a nice mixture of country, folk and pop elements.

Christina really does experiment on "Liberation", but overall it's still a clear pop album to me. Agree about the part with fillers, it's an album that is great from start to finish.

Yas, I love that shoutout to "Cheek To Cheek" because I thought the exactly same! Thankfully "A Star Is Born" didn't turn out as a second C2C and contains several great songs. Somehow I wish some of these songs should have been on a proper Gaga album, the record would have made an even bigger impact on me that way as the soundtrack still has some fillers. Can't wait for her next proper album!

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 09:56

Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova
    Madison Beer surprised me as well. There's some great little bops on that album, and her new song 'Hurts Like Hell' SO GOOD.
    'A Star Is Born' soundtrack is just so good. Really made me laminate my GaGa stan card.
    Glad to hear that! "Hurts Like Hell" didn't really click with me yet sadly, but I'm still looking forward to what she releases next.
    YASSS. Gaga is back again, who would've expected that?

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    Camila is low, though completely agreed about the single picking situation. Golden Hour is nice.
    She's Top50 from over 200 albums, I think that's not too bad Glad to hear you agree about the single choices!

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 12:16

32. Emmelie de Forest – History - better late than never kind of album
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 19:42

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    32. Emmelie de Forest – History - better late than never kind of album
    Yep. Kinda sad how there never came something following her strong debut album. She's got a great voice and seems like such an underrated ESC winner.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 19:43

30. Nicki Minaj – Queen

Listen to "Chun Swae" (ft. Swae Lee)

Chartrun: *1*-3-5-10-7-11-14-19-17-Out / 9w

The self-proclaimed Queen of hiphop opens this new group. Nicki Minaj has finally released her long awaited fourth studio album called “Queen” in 2018. Unfortunately, it got overshadowed by all the negative press about the rapper, but thankfully she still delivers when it comes to her music. This is a great album from start to finish, with just a very few songs that could have stayed away.

29. Amy Shark – Love Monster

Listen to "I Said Hi"

Chartrun: 3-*1*-6-8-10-11-12-16-20-Out / 9w

Probably the biggest newcomer coming from Australia in 2018 is the sympathetic singer-songwriter Amy Shark. Her debut album “Love Monster” is what the singles promised: A pretty dark but still kinda uplifting pop album, something between Halsey, Lana Del Rey and Taylor Swift (at least vocally). I immediately liked this a lot and I can’t wait to hear more from Amy.

28. Carrie Underwood – Cry Pretty

Listen to "Backsliding"

Chartrun: *1*-2-3-5-5-10-17-Out / 7w

Carrie Underwood’s fifth album “Storyteller” has become one of my most favorite releases ever, so I was really looking forward to her sixth effort “Cry Pretty”. The singles didn’t make the best impression on me and so the same happened with the whole album at first. However, some songs grew on me with time, and this still ended up as a pretty good album overall, I just feel like she has so much more potential.

27. Sofi Tukker – Treehouse

Listen to "Batshit"

Chartrun: *4*-4-7-6-7-11-10-13-Out / 8w

The crazy electronic duo Sofi Tukker has released their debut album “Treehouse” in 2018, and this was more of a random discovery for me as I never really bothered about them. But in the end, this became one of my favorite electronic releases of the year, there are so many bops on this. They deserve so much more attention than they get…

26. First Aid Kit – Ruins

Listen to "It’s A Shame"

Chartrun: *2*-2-3-6-9-10-11-16-Out / 8w

Swedish sister duo First Aid Kit finally returned to the music business in early 2018 with “Ruins”. This is why I started to love them: Very beautiful melodies, nice vocals and good lyrics. A “My Silver Lining” is missing though. Interestingly, they already put out a follow-up EP later that year, but that one didn’t make a similar impact on me.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 19:44

25. Cardi B – Invasion Of Privacy

Listen to "Thru Your Phone"

Chartrun: 3-*2*-3-8-8-11-14-18-Out-RE 18-Out-RE 15-Out / 10w

Yes, I have to bring it up: While Nicki Minaj was the self-proclaimed Queen of hiphop in 2018, the real Queen is called Cardi B and “Invasion Of Privacy” was the real deal. This is such a strong debut work and it will be so difficult for Cardi B to follow it up. Basically all tracks are at least good, some of them are even outstanding. So happy how the English speaking markets ate her up and here’s hope the other countries will follow soon.

24. Loreena McKennitt – Lost Souls

Listen to "Ages Past, Ages Hence"

Chartrun: 3-*1*-3-2-6-9-14-19-Out / 8w

Canadian singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Loreena McKennitt is a huge legend in the New Age / Celtic genre. In 2018, she released “Lost Souls”, her first album with new material in nearly a decade, and this is such a beautiful listen from start to finish. A must-check-out for lovers of that beautiful genre.

23. Evanescence – Synthesis

Listen to "Hi-Lo" (ft. Lindsey Stirling)

Chartrun in 2017: *2*-3-6-9-9-13- / 6w
    Chartrun in 2018: 15-14-18-Out-RE 11-*1*-2-6-10-14-19-Out-RE 16-19-Out-RE 4-SC / 13w
    Ranking in the YEC 2017: #41

In late 2017, Evanescence made their comeback with “Synthesis”, an album that contained lots of older songs from the band but newly recorded with an orchestra, including two new tracks. As a big fan I was not only looking forward to this, but they even surpassed my expectations, as everything still sounds so perfect. They got a second wind on my charts following their concert in Switzerland that I attended, and a third wind following the release of the live version. A huge must-have for fans.

22. Troye Sivan – Bloom

Listen to "What A Heavenly Way To Die"

Chartrun: *2*-2-2-4-6-8-10-18-Out / 8w

Troye Sivan always got a nice hit for me here and there, but his stuff never fully clicked with me until “Bloom” came out – and I fell in love with his music. This is such a strong piece of work, it’s so good from start to finish and all songs are basically on the same, strong level. He really found his sound and I can’t wait to hear his next release.

21. Shawn Mendes – Shawn Mendes

Listen to "Youth" (ft. Khalid)

Chartrun: 2-*1*-4-7-8-11-12-14-15-18-20-Out / 11w

As mentioned earlier, 2018 was the year when several artists finally clicked with me with a full album, Florence + The Machine, Troye Sivan or Christina Aguilera being some of the examples… and here’s the next one: Shawn Mendes! He already released some low-key-bops in the past, but neither his singles nor his albums really got my full attention until his self-titled album came out last year. To my own surprise, “Shawn Mendes” ended up as one of the stronger pop releases of the year, being yet another album that I see as a great piece of work as it flows so well and there’s no bad track on it.

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 20:58

Most of these albums/EPs I haven't heard, but the ones by Kacey Musgraves, Emmelie de Forest and Amy Shark are not unlistenable!

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-01-19, 15:10

Yay so glad Shawn and Troye clicked with you this year!! Great albums, I prefer Troye's!

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 15-01-19, 16:38

Ugh. So the site that is the source for most of the covers got hacked, which is why the covers are currently not shown. I hope it gets fixed soon, otherwise my countdown looks awful :( :x

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    Most of these albums/EPs I haven't heard, but the ones by Kacey Musgraves, Emmelie de Forest and Amy Shark are not unlistenable!
    Good to hear that, and I'm sure there's at least one (or maybe even two) albums you know and like!

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    Yay so glad Shawn and Troye clicked with you this year!! Great albums, I prefer Troye's!
    Both are on a similar level to me, so happy they both clicked with me as I always thought they're so likable, and now I'm finally into their music as well

Legend
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-01-19, 02:40

Onika delivered with Queen! She's the greatest female rapper of all-time, and she proves it with every album release.

If you haven't already explored Carrie's discography in full, I highly recommend that you do. For instance, Carnival Ride is her finest album ever - one of the best LPs of all-time - and I doubt she'll top that. Cry Pretty is decent overall, but you're right: she is capable of, and has done, much better.

Happy for Cardi B's success. She's not on Nicki's level musically, but I love her personality and passion. Invasion of Privacy is indeed a solid album. Strangely and surprisingly enough, I think the GP enjoyed it more than I did.

Bloom is better than I would have expected from Troye. And so is Shawn Mendes. The boys are growing up, and their best releases might still be ahead of them.
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-01-19, 19:31

^ She really did! A shame she got so much negative press during the year 2018... she just needs to let the music speaks for itself. I'm not sure about the 'greatest female rapper of all-time', but in 2018 I really need to say Cardi B was better.

I actually did when "Storyteller" amazed me that much. I started to follow Carrie with "Blown Away", which was my first album from her, but "Storyteller" made me a big fan. With that release, I decided to check her older albums out as well, so I've heard them all, but only twice or three times. So I didn't have the same experience when listening to them as I had when I would've listened to them when they got released. Still, I liked them all (and I was already familiar with most of the singles due to the Greatest Hits). I guess I need to revisit "Carnival Ride"...

Yeah, I was surprised to see "Invasion Of Privacy" ranking 'low' on your countdown. Well, not low, but lower than I expected, because I think I read somewhere you enjoy all the songs quite a lot. It will be interesting to see if she can release a good follow-up to that one or if she's ending up as one hit wonder. Nicki's albums are all really good, so the battle goes on...

That's good to hear about Troye and Shawn, and I agree, they are already better than ever before and I also think they can top that as well

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-01-19, 20:13

20. Halsey – hopeless fountain kingdom

Listen to "Heaven In Hiding"

Chartrun in 2017: *1*-1-2-1-1-1-1-2-2-3-4-3-5-7-8-9-11-16-18-16-11-14-16-12-9-8-6-6-9- / 29w
    Chartrun in 2018: 10-7-*3*-6-8-11-7-9-12-15-18-Out-RE 19-Out-RE 11-Out / 13w
    Certification: 2x PLATINUM
    Ranking in the YEC 2017: #3

Halsey had a fantastic 2017, as her second studio album “hopeless fountain kingdom” was a huge success, ending up at #3 on the Year-End Charts 2017 and winning the ‘Mammy Award’ for Album of the Year. In 2018, she continued with that success and gets a second year in the Top20. This album is so strong, a shame they handled it so poorly with wrong single choices and weird promo – for example why releasing a video for a pop banger like “Strangers”, but not pushing it on radios? Here’s hope we may get another album later in 2019 following the success of “Without Me”.

19. Tarja – Act II

Listen to "Until Silence - The Reign - Mystique voyage - House Of Wax - I Walk Alone Medley"

Chartrun: *1*-2-3-4-7-12-8-15-20-18-16-19-Out / 12w

Finnish symphonic metal songstress Tarja has released the live album “Act II” in the middle of summer 2018, and as expected it was yet another number one hit for the former Nightwish frontwoman. The first few songs sound a bit shaky, but after that she really proves what a vocal beast she is.

18. Charlie Puth – Voicenotes

Listen to "Done For Me" (ft. Kehlani)

Chartrun: *2*-2-4-3-7-10-13-20-Out-RE 17-14-16-19-17-20-Out / 14w

Oh, poor Charlie. The cute singer suffered from the sophomore slump with “Voicenotes”, which spawned the big hit “Attention”, but they waited way too long for the album to drop and he never got a follow-up hit. That’s a shame, as I think “Voicenotes” is clearly better than “Nine Track Mind”. He has found his sound and it’s very well done.

17. Anne-Marie – Speak Your Mind

Listen to "Machine"

Chartrun: *2*-4-6-6-8-9-9-11-16-Out-RE 15-13-16-18-Out / 13w

Anne-Marie’s debut album “Speak Your Mind” is everything what you expected following all of the singles she has released prior the album. It’s easily one of the best pop releases of 2018 and also one of the best debut albums in that year. It’s full of strong pop tunes from start to finish. If you like one or more singles from her, you have to check this out.

16. Amaranthe – Helix

Listen to "Inferno"

Chartrun: 2-*1*-2-3-2-6-8-11-12-SC / 9w

The Swedish/Danish band Amaranthe is very difficult to label. It’s basically heavy metal with pop and dance-rock influences, and they have three different singers: A pop female voice, a pop/rock male voice and a male vocalist who uses so called growls. Definitely a mixture that doesn’t exist that often, and it works ridiculously well! With time most of the tracks sound a bit samey, but if samey means good then why not? I love how they shamelessly copied Ed Sheeran’s chorus of “Shape Of You” in “Inferno”.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-01-19, 20:13

15. Years & Years – Palo Santo

Listen to "Palo Santo"

Chartrun: *2*-2-4-5-4-6-8-11-14-17-18-15-Out / 12w

So, I have to admit I never was as crazy about Years & Years as most other people were when they released their debut album. In fact, “Meteorite” was the first song that really wow’ed me, and their second album “Palo Santo” even exceeded that one. This is such a strong pop album and I have absolutely no idea why this wasn’t a success, other than it being probably ‘too gay’ for the general public. The title track is their best song ever and by far.

14. Nightwish – Decades

Listen to "Amaranth"

Chartrun: *1*-2-3-4-8-12-13-18-20-Out-RE 16-2-9-18-Out / 13w

Finnish symphonic metal pioneers Nightwish still are one of my most favorite artists ever, and in 2018 they released a best of called “Decades”. This became such a big success in Switzerland, charting for 25 weeks, which is very big for a best of, a symphonic metal band, being in the streaming era and having no promo or radio support. They’re still the ruler of that genre and they prove that with “Decades”. “Amaranth” remains their best song ever for me.

13. Vanessa Mai – Schlager

Listen to "Feuer und Eis"

Chartrun: *1*-2-2-1-3-5-10-12-16-15-20-Out-RE 15-SC / 12w

A big surprise comes in at #13: German Schlager-Pop princess Vanessa Mai and her third solo album “Schlager”. Okay, the album is called “Schlager” and she labels herself as a Schlager singer, however, I wouldn’t label the music on this as Schlager. She’s even less Schlager than Carrie Underwood is Country. This contains many great straight-forward pop-dance-smashes with some catchy hooks and she really delivers on this. A shame she doesn’t get more success in the German speaking countries, as I think she’s the best female artist from Germany right now.

12. Ashley Monroe – Sparrow

Listen to "Orphan"

Chartrun: 8-11-12-15-*7*-7-8-11-13-12-16-13-13-12-13-16-18-Out / 17w

So everybody was raving about Kacey Musgraves’ “Golden Hour”, but my personal highlight from the country genre came from Ashley Monroe! The singer has released this critically acclaimed album, unfortunately it bombed hard on the charts. This is probably also why I wasn’t as impressed with Kacey’s release as many others, as this is basically what I would’ve expected from “Golden Hour”. A country album with some folk and pop influences, fantastic lyrics, a beautiful voice and wonderful melodies. It’s the only album in the Year-End Top50 with a peak outside the Top5, plus it’s tied with two other albums as the fourth longest charting album of 2018.

11. Lindsey Stirling – Warmer In The Winter

Listen to "I Wonder As I Wander"

Chartrun in 2017: *1*-3-7-10-16-10-1-1-2- / 9w
    Chartrun in 2018: *1*-4-10-19-Out-RE 18-Out-RE 1-2-4-7-11-Out-RE 7-6-1-SC / 13w
    Ranking in the YEC 2017: #14

Just missing out the Top10 is “Warmer In The Winter”, the Christmas album by US violinist and YouTube sensation Lindsey Stirling. It’s no secret anymore that I adore this girl, and with “Warmer In The Winter” being her highest placed entry on this countdown, she misses out the Top3 of the Year-End Charts only for the second time since 2013 (the other year being 2015, where her highest placed album sat at #17). It’s quite impressive how she started 2018 with being #1 on the weekly charts and ended the year with doing the same. This is typical Lindsey and it works perfectly for Christmas songs as well. She’s covering some classics like “Carol Of The Bells” or “What Child Is This” but also recorded some original songs like the title track or “Christmas C’mon”, so there’s something for everyone on this. Already my favorite Christmas release ever and I’m sure she’ll do well during the next season as well.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-01-19, 20:38

Any guess who may take the crown for the albums that year?

Little teaser: the Top10 is very ‚Tansike‘

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-01-19, 20:42

Great to see ''Palo Santo'', it took some time to get into, but it turned out to be a pretty decent album.
    Waffles are checked cookies