User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 201 to 218 of 218

Thread: Tansike's Year-End Charts 2018 [Album #2 - #1]

  1. #201
    Manager
    Join Date
    15 Feb 2004
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 16-01-19, 21:43

    Very interesting to see how well Ashley Monroe's album did here. I'm still wondering if there is something wrong with me that made it so I could not get into that album, despite loving her previous album in 2015. She was running circles around Kacey Musgraves that year, but that got totally reversed in 2018.

    If I had somehow just seen this batch before listening to anything I would have guessed Ashley's album would be my favourite but now it is most definitely Vanessa Mai's album.

  2. #202
    Legend
    Join Date
    04 Apr 2003
    Location
    Just alone with my thoughts...
    Posts
    37,108
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 17-01-19, 11:52

    I live for everyone on this site loving Meteorite despite it going absolutely nowhere in any charts lol. I love Palo Santo and have loved them since Take Shelter.

    Voicenotes is cool.. he did get a follow up hit here, How Long was pretty big! And even Done For Me got decent radio play.

  3. #203
    JSparksFan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    24 Jul 2009
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    49,880
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 18-01-19, 02:05

    Oh, glad to hear you've explored Carrie's discography in its entirety. For me, she's the greatest country artist of all-time. If I had to pick my top 5 faves from each of her albums, they'd probably look like:

    Some Hearts: Before He Cheats; Jesus, Take the Wheel; Starts with Goodbye; I Ain't in Checotah Anymore; The Night Before (Life Goes On)
    Carnival Ride: I Know You Won't; Just a Dream; All-American Girl; So Small; The More Boys I Meet
    Play On: Change; Cowboy Casanova; Undo It; Temporary Home; Unapologize
    Blown Away: Blown Away; Two Black Cadillacs; Good Girl; One Way Ticket; Cupid's Got a Shotgun
    Storyteller: Church Bells; Chaser; Mexico; Choctaw County Affair; Relapse
    Cry Pretty: Love Wins; The Champion; Drinking Alone; Kingdom; Backsliding

    I don't know if you've heard some other songs/covers she's done, but no Carrie playlist is complete without:

    Praying for Time
    There's a Place for Us
    Keep Us Safe
    Alone (the performance that sealed her fate as the Idol champ in season four)

    Okay, so I think that's enough from me on Carrie!

    We have parallel Years & Years stories! "Meteorite" was also the song that won me over. It was just so deliciously and unapologetically camp and pop that there was no resisting its allure. Then "Sanctify" came along, and was even better! Then the album dropped, and overall, it was one of the best pop releases by a male act of the decade! I'm a Y&Y fanboy now.

    Bring on the symphonic metal!
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

    The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

  4. #204
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 18-01-19, 05:44

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    Great to see ''Palo Santo'', it took some time to get into, but it turned out to be a pretty decent album.
    That's good to hear! I didn't know you like it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    Very interesting to see how well Ashley Monroe's album did here. I'm still wondering if there is something wrong with me that made it so I could not get into that album, despite loving her previous album in 2015. She was running circles around Kacey Musgraves that year, but that got totally reversed in 2018.

    If I had somehow just seen this batch before listening to anything I would have guessed Ashley's album would be my favourite but now it is most definitely Vanessa Mai's album.
    When I said there are one or even two albums that you may like I meant exactly these two Yeah, I'm also surprised "Sparrow" never really clicked with you. But that happens. I mean, "The Blade" never really clicked with me and I ended up loving "Sparrow" so much.

    Vanessa Mai's album is really strong. A shame it pretty much flopped in Germany despite reaching #1 on the charts :(

    Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    I live for everyone on this site loving Meteorite despite it going absolutely nowhere in any charts lol. I love Palo Santo and have loved them since Take Shelter.

    Voicenotes is cool.. he did get a follow up hit here, How Long was pretty big! And even Done For Me got decent radio play.
    So true But I thought it was the ultimate gay pop anthem, if that makes sense

    But "How Long" was still far away from being as successful as most of his previous singles, also especially compared to "Attention". I really thought he may get several Top10s from "Voicenotes" :(

  5. #205
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 18-01-19, 06:17

    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Oh, glad to hear you've explored Carrie's discography in its entirety. For me, she's the greatest country artist of all-time. If I had to pick my top 5 faves from each of her albums, they'd probably look like:

    Some Hearts: Before He Cheats; Jesus, Take the Wheel; Starts with Goodbye; I Ain't in Checotah Anymore; The Night Before (Life Goes On)
    Carnival Ride: I Know You Won't; Just a Dream; All-American Girl; So Small; The More Boys I Meet
    Play On: Change; Cowboy Casanova; Undo It; Temporary Home; Unapologize
    Blown Away: Blown Away; Two Black Cadillacs; Good Girl; One Way Ticket; Cupid's Got a Shotgun
    Storyteller: Church Bells; Chaser; Mexico; Choctaw County Affair; Relapse
    Cry Pretty: Love Wins; The Champion; Drinking Alone; Kingdom; Backsliding

    I don't know if you've heard some other songs/covers she's done, but no Carrie playlist is complete without:

    Praying for Time
    There's a Place for Us
    Keep Us Safe
    Alone (the performance that sealed her fate as the Idol champ in season four)

    Okay, so I think that's enough from me on Carrie!

    We have parallel Years & Years stories! "Meteorite" was also the song that won me over. It was just so deliciously and unapologetically camp and pop that there was no resisting its allure. Then "Sanctify" came along, and was even better! Then the album dropped, and overall, it was one of the best pop releases by a male act of the decade! I'm a Y&Y fanboy now.

    Bring on the symphonic metal!
    Interesting to hear she's the greatest country artist of all time for you! She's actually second to me, only behind Dolly Parton. But that one is a legend.

    Thanks a lot for all the Top5 and the links you've posted! I'm currently not at home and can't check these out, but I'll do that soon. Even though I heard all of the pre-"Blown Away" albums, I never really explored them properly. I only checked them out once or twice so that I finally heard them. So I really need to listen to them again, as she's a fantastic artist with a strong discography that deserves way more of my attention.

    btw, we have the same faves on "Cry Pretty" and nearly the same on "Blown Away" (I'd switch "One Way Ticket" with "See You Again").
    As for "Storyteller", my current faves would be "Church Bells", "Clock Don't Stop", "Chaser", "Relapse" and "Renegade Runaway", so we have three in common there ("Choctaw County Affair" would come sixth for me).

    And there's never enough of Carrie!
    I always appreciate these lists or recommendations A LOT, I just need a few days to check these things out

    Yes, I remember that we both were so into "Meteorite", me later than you as I still remember how surprised you were when this reached my weekly Top3 like months after its release I wouldn't call myself a fanboy now but I'm pretty close to that, "Palo Santo" is such a strong pop album. I'm already so excited for a follow-up

    Well, not a lot of symphonic metal, but some other typical 'Tansike' things will be there

  6. #206
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 18-01-19, 06:30

    10. Rachel Platten – Waves


    Listen to "Collide"

    Chartrun in 2017: *1*-2-4-4-5-7-8-11- / 8w
    Chartrun in 2018: 12-8-5-5-*4*-5-6-5-8-8-9-9-14-16-19-Out / 15w
    Certification: PLATINUM
    Ranking in the YEC 2017: #16

    Rachel Platten’s unexpected pop masterpiece “Waves” opens the Top10. The second album following her mainstream breakthrough already came out in the fourth quarter of 2017, which is why it already charted quite high on last years countdown and despite the rules for old releases, it’s charting even higher on this years countdown. Similar to “Wildfire”, this is such a strong pop record from start to finish. There are quite a few highlights, but what I really love is that there’s no clear standout, instead it’s the album as a whole that stands out. It’s sad how this bombed and she gave up on it after just one proper and one promo single, it deserved way more.

    9. Auri – Auri


    Listen to "I Hope Your World Is Kind"

    Chartrun: *1*-2-1-3-7-10-10-14-16-16-15-17-12-15-13-20-Out-RE 20-SC / 17w
    Certification: GOLD

    Auri is a new formed band, containing of Tuomas Holopainen (the mastermind behind Nightwish), Troy Donockley (Nightwish band member) and Johanna Kurkela (Tuomas’ wife and a popular singer from Finland). Tuomas already released a solo album a few years ago, where Johanna sung a few songs. It worked so well, that Tuomas decided to form this group, as he wanted to create music that doesn’t really fit with Nightwish, so Auri came to life. This is a very special and unusual release, as it’s basically impossible to label this with a genre – Wikipedia went with ‘Progressive folk’. The two singles “Night 13” and “The Space Between” are already out of a genre, but they’re the most commercial ones from the whole album. It’s a magical experience when one’s open to new things.

    8. Eurovision Song Contest 2018


    Listen to "La forza" by Elina Nechayeva

    Chartrun: 5-7-5-3-*1*-1-3-6-10-13-14-17-Out / 12w
    Certification: GOLD

    As every year, the compilation for the Eurovision Song Contest obviously gets a spot on my countdown as well. 2018 was a very strong year with several great entries and a winner that was deserved (even though I would’ve preferred another winner: Estonia). 2017 was a little letdown for me especially after the strong 2016, so 2018 got back into the right direction. 30 entries of the contest made my weekly charts last year, with seven of them even reaching the Top10 (Finland, Israel, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Estonia, Cyprus and Sweden) and four of them being certified with Gold (Bulgaria, Estonia, Cyprus) or Platinum (Finland).

  7. #207
    UKMusicLova's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    05 Sep 2006
    Location
    On a Cosmic journey
    Posts
    30,705
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 18-01-19, 19:43

    'Invasion of Privacy' is a way better album than i had originally expected from Cardi B. There's a lot of great songs on there, even the songs that weren't made singles (like 'I Do') are great!

    'Palo Santo' was a great follow up from Years & Years, glad they came through after the rather generic 'If You're Over Me'.

  8. #208
    luckyONE's Avatar
    Superstar
    Join Date
    07 Feb 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8,002
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 20-01-19, 06:51

    'Speak Your Mind' is great.

    And I must admit I start to really like Vanessa Mai. I found myself listening to her a lot lately.

  9. #209
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 21-01-19, 11:00

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova
    'Invasion of Privacy' is a way better album than i had originally expected from Cardi B. There's a lot of great songs on there, even the songs that weren't made singles (like 'I Do') are great!

    'Palo Santo' was a great follow up from Years & Years, glad they came through after the rather generic 'If You're Over Me'.
    Same for me! She really brought it with her debut

    Yes! Can't believe "If You're Over Me" became such a big hit for them, it's easily my least favorite song on "Palo Santo"

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    'Speak Your Mind' is great.

    And I must admit I start to really like Vanessa Mai. I found myself listening to her a lot lately.
    It is - glad you're liking it too!

    YASSS so happy to hear that! I was already so surprised when she made an appearance on your list a few weeks (or months) back. "Schlager" is actually a very strong pop album and she's currently my favorite female artist from Germany

  10. #210
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 21-01-19, 20:01

    7. Brandi Carlile – By The Way, I Forgive You


    Listen to "The Joke"

    Chartrun: *1*-1-1-2-4-4-7-9-15-18-12-13-12-17-Out-RE 19-Out / 15w
    Certification: GOLD

    Nearly a year ago, Brandi Carlile has released her sixth studio album called “By The Way, I Forgive You”, and apart from her self-titled debut, I know and heard all of her albums and I would say I’m definitely a little fan of Brandi. Back then I would’ve never, ever dreamed that a year later, I’m able to write that this is nominated for a Grammy as Album of the Year, plus “The Joke” is nominated for Song AND Record of the year. Oh, and it also got nominations in the Americana categories. That’s huge, as Brandi is everything but what’s seen as ‘in’ or liked by these kind of things. The openly lesbian (she’s married and already has two children with her wife) is a very talented singer-songwriter and she proves it with this album, which is her strongest to date.

    6. Faun – XV – Best Of


    Listen to "Walpurgisnacht"

    Chartrun: *4*-7-10-14-9-10-5-6-9-12-13-11-10-9-12-12-20-Out / 17w
    Certification: GOLD

    Here’s an album that surprised me a lot last year: “XV – Best Of”, the first best of compilation by German Pagan-Folk band Faun. The band only caught my attention in 2016 with their ninth studio album “Midgard”, so this best of was the best opportunity to discover some of their earlier stuff as well and that’s also why this was such a success for me. Alongside Rachel Platten’s “Waves” at #10, this is the only album in the Top10 of the countdown that didn’t topped my weekly album charts, interestingly both peaked at #4. This is Pagan-Folk at its best, and as someone who is usually not attracted to German lyrics, they still work perfectly.

    5. Leaves’ Eyes – Sign Of The Dragonhead


    Listen to "Jomsborg"

    Chartrun: *1*-1-1-1-3-6-9-12-13-15-18-14-13-20-Out-RE 18-13-18-15-16-Out / 19w
    Certification: GOLD

    From a Pagan-Folk band to a Symphonic Metal band – The Top10 is definitely very me! This was yet another surprise discovery. Even though I heard about Leaves’ Eyes already years ago, their seventh studio album “Sign Of The Dragonhead” was the first time I checked them out and I have no idea why I waited so long! This came out in January last year, spending its first fourth week atop the charts (tied with two other albums as the longest running number one album of 2018) and it led the Year-To-Date charts for several months. This is symphonic metal at its best, including some folk/Viking elements.

  11. #211
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 22-01-19, 22:14

    4. The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen) – The Dark Element


    Listen to "The Ghost And The Reaper"

    Chartrun in 2017: *1*-1-1-2-3-5- / 6w
    Chartrun in 2018: 9-5-6-9-7-3-4-*1*-3-5-2-4-10-14-15-Out-RE 16-19-Out-RE 20-Out / 18w
    Certification: PLATINUM
    Ranking in the YEC 2017: #24

    Just missing out a spot in the Top3 is “The Dark Element” by The Dark Element, a duo formed by former Nightwish frontwoman Anette Olzon and Finnish musician & songwriter Jani Liimatainen. This album already came out in late 2017 and is the highest placed album on the countdown that already charted on the previous countdown. Since the invention of my weekly album charts in 2013, 2018 becomes the second year ever where the Top3 doesn’t have a release from the previous year and the points reduction rule for old releases didn’t even change that this year.

    Similar to the previous two entries on the countdown by Faun and Leaves’ Eyes, “The Dark Element” is very me: Anette Olzon is known as a former frontwoman of the symphonic metal pioneers Nightwish, a genre she’s touching again on “The Dark Element”. However, this is more straight forward rock/metal with some catchy hooks and Anette herself once said it's like a mixture of symphonic metal and ABBA, which fits very well as a description, as the lyrics and melodies are sometimes very poppy and cheesy.

    3. Bebe Rexha – Expectations


    Listen to "Knees", ”Self Control”, ”Don't Get Any Closer”

    Chartrun: *1*-1-1-1-2-2-3-4-6-8-11-12-12-9-13-14-15-Out-RE 19-Out / 18w
    Certification: PLATINUM

    The Top3 starts with what’s probably the biggest breakthrough of 2018 for me: Bebe Rexha and her debut album “Expectations”. A few years ago, when Bebe started to get some mainstream attention, I struggled to get into her as an artist and into her songs, so I didn’t bother to check her out more. However, soon after that, I started to really like her with the Martin Garrix collaboration “In The Name Of Love” and fell in love with her shortly after with “I Got You”. Ever since, she has released a lot of random collaborations, unfortunately just a few singles on her own and quite a few bops overall.

    “Expectations” is what you’d expect after hearing “I Got You” and “I’m A Mess”: It’s a pure pop album with a very striking voice, very catchy melodies and actually some gems when it comes to lyrics (“Knees”, “I’m A Mess”). If you’re into pop music, you really have to check this out. Interestingly, I use to skip the opener (“Ferrari”) and the closer (“Meant To Be”), as both don’t really fit on this record and the rest flows perfectly. She made everything right on this for me and I just hope the next era will be executed better, as she basically only released one proper single despite having a bunch of single worthy tunes.

  12. #212
    Legend
    Join Date
    04 Apr 2003
    Location
    Just alone with my thoughts...
    Posts
    37,108
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 23-01-19, 18:06

    I'm shook that you rate her album so much, I think of her as a singles artist completely, but you've made me want to give it a spin

  13. #213
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 23-01-19, 19:19

    Already moving on and finishing the album countdown very soon, so it's done before UKMix goes offline...

    Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    I'm shook that you rate her album so much, I think of her as a singles artist completely, but you've made me want to give it a spin
    I guess you're talking about Bebe, right? Yes, her album is surprisingly strong, it was a big surprise for me as well. Definitely worth to check out if you like pop and already liked some of her singles.

  14. #214
    JSparksFan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    24 Jul 2009
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    49,880
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 24-01-19, 03:04

    Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    Interesting to hear she's the greatest country artist of all time for you! She's actually second to me, only behind Dolly Parton. But that one is a legend.
    Oh, what are your Dolly faves? Beyond "Jolene", "9 to 5", and (obviously) "I Will Always Love You", I'm not too familiar with her music. I vaguely remember Wayne fawning over "Coat of Many Colours".

    Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    Thanks a lot for all the Top5 and the links you've posted! I'm currently not at home and can't check these out, but I'll do that soon. Even though I heard all of the pre-"Blown Away" albums, I never really explored them properly. I only checked them out once or twice so that I finally heard them. So I really need to listen to them again, as she's a fantastic artist with a strong discography that deserves way more of my attention.
    No problem. Hope you discover something you like!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    btw, we have the same faves on "Cry Pretty" and nearly the same on "Blown Away" (I'd switch "One Way Ticket" with "See You Again").
    As for "Storyteller", my current faves would be "Church Bells", "Clock Don't Stop", "Chaser", "Relapse" and "Renegade Runaway", so we have three in common there ("Choctaw County Affair" would come sixth for me).
    I actually really like "Clock Don't Stop", too! It has some...quirky moments that I like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    And there's never enough of Carrie!
    I always appreciate these lists or recommendations A LOT, I just need a few days to check these things out
    Glad you think so!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    Yes, I remember that we both were so into "Meteorite", me later than you as I still remember how surprised you were when this reached my weekly Top3 like months after its release I wouldn't call myself a fanboy now but I'm pretty close to that, "Palo Santo" is such a strong pop album. I'm already so excited for a follow-up
    Hope they secure your heart with their follow-up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    Well, not a lot of symphonic metal, but some other typical 'Tansike' things will be there
    Save for the ESC compilation, it's an unfamiliar top 10. I'm awaiting the light to bring back everything (most of) the top 10 thus far stole.
    Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

    The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

  15. #215
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 24-01-19, 09:59

    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Oh, what are your Dolly faves? Beyond "Jolene", "9 to 5", and (obviously) "I Will Always Love You", I'm not too familiar with her music. I vaguely remember Wayne fawning over "Coat of Many Colours".
    Interestingly, I would’ve said “Coat Of Many Colours” as well, definitely her best after the three classics you’ve mentioned. I also love ”The Bargain Store” a lot. As for more recent ones, ”If I Had Wings” is definitely my fave.

    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    No problem. Hope you discover something you like!
    With UKMix going down for a few days tomorrow, I guess I will have the time to check a few things out…

    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    I actually really like "Clock Don't Stop", too! It has some...quirky moments that I like.
    Oh, somehow I thought you didn’t really like it That’s awesome! I love its lyrics… kinda relatable to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Hope they secure your heart with their follow-up!
    I hope so too! “Palo Santo” was already a great album and if the follow-up is similar, I can see myself becoming a big fan

    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Save for the ESC compilation, it's an unfamiliar top 10. I'm awaiting the light to bring back everything (most of) the top 10 thus far stole.
    I’m sure you know Rachel Platten and Bebe Rexha based on their names at least… but yeah, I knew my Top10 this year is very unpopular. I’d definitely recommend Rachel’s and Bebe’s album for pop lovers, they’re really strong. Also, I’d recommend Brandi Carlile, at least the track ”The Joke”. Her album is nominated for AOTY and the song is nominated for Record and Song of the Year at the Grammy awards this year and somehow I think you may like her

    Anyways, I’m sure there’s at least one album you definitely know in my Top2

  16. #216
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 24-01-19, 12:01

    2. Ariana Grande – Sweetener


    Listen to the singles, "Goodnight N Go", ”Get Well Soon”

    Chartrun: *1*-2-1-1-3-3-5-4-2-3-4-3-2-1-5-3-4-3-SC / 18w
    Certification: PLATINUM

    No one was able to escape from Ariana Grande in 2018 and following the success on my Singles Year-End Charts (“God Is A Woman” at #2, “No Tears Left To Cry” at #1) it was clear to see her fourth studio album “Sweetener” ranking high as well, however, it’s not quite on top.

    “Sweetener” is tied with Leaves’ Eyes “Sign Of The Dragonhead” (#5) and Bebe Rexha’s “Expectations” (#3) as the longest running number one album of the year with four weeks, though it’s the only of the three that didn’t do it in consecutive weeks. It has over 80 points more than “Expectations”, making it a clear second placed album and it’s already her second most successful album ever on my weekly chart, only behind “My Everything”. It spent its whole chartrun in the Top5 so far (and is still doing so in 2019 so far), giving it the longest consecutive run in the Top5 since Lana Del Rey's "Born To Die" spent its first 38 weeks in the Top5 back in 2012!

    Surprisingly, I wasn't sure at all about "Sweetener" at first. Apart from the singles, none of the other songs really stood out and it was quite a big disappointment at first. However, the more I played it, the more I liked it, and after all these weeks "Sweetener" has ended up as my most favorite album by Ariana ever. It flows so well as a whole. The singles are pop gems, while the album tracks are very R&B-ish. She already did that on her previous records, but I think it works the best on "Sweetener", making it her most cohesive work to date.

    1. My Indigo (Sharon den Adel) – My Indigo


    Listen to "Indian Summer", ”Black Velvet Sun”, ”Star Crossed Lovers”, ”My Indigo”, ”Out Of The Darkness”

    Chartrun: *1*-1-2-4-4-5-7-8-8-7-10-8-5-6-8-9-9-7-9-4-6-5-8-10-10-11-6-9-12-11-12-Out-RE 14-12-11-SC / 34w
    Certification: 2x PLATINUM

    And the most successful album of 2018 is “My Indigo”, the solo debut album by Dutch singer and songwriter Sharon den Adel, best known for being the singer and founder of the Dutch symphonic rock band Within Temptation.

    “My Indigo” is by far the longest charting album of the year with 34 weeks, 15 weeks more than the second longest charting album of the year. It’s also a clear frontrunner on the Year-End Charts as it has 455 points, while Ariana Grande’s “Sweetener” has 328 points and Bebe Rexha’s “Expectations” just 244 points. This success isn't the biggest surprise, as the last studio album by her band Within Temptation spent over 70 weeks on my weekly charts, making it one of the most successful albums of all time.

    The reason for this solo debut album is a rather sad one. Sharon dealt with several stuff in her personal life and even in her band Within Temptation. She couldn't write for the band anymore and rumors say that she and her husband (the co-founder of the band) had a crisis as well. Sharon started to write songs again because of all these personal things, but the songs turned out different than what the band usually does, so she decided to put it out as a solo work - and it definitely worked! This is a very nice, quite short album. It has ten songs and a length of 38 minutes - exactly the same amount of songs and length of "Shine", the solo debut album by Anette Olzon, who was the frontwoman of fellow symphonic rock band Nightwish and that one ended up atop my Year-End Charts four years ago… coincidence?

    "My Indigo" has different genres with Indie Pop being the closest ones to describe the music. It's very soft-ish, has a lot of pop elements and surprisingly no rock elements, but ballads such as "Out Of The Darkness" or "Where Is My Love" still have a little bit of the Within Temptation sound. It's also very commercial which I love. Sharon's voice is heavenly and still one of the best ones out there, so hearing her voice on other genres is a great experience and here’s hope this wasn’t her last solo work.

    The album has spawned three singles with “My Indigo” (#72 on the YEC 2017, #68 on the YEC 2018), “Out Of The Darkness” (#236 in 2017, #25 in 2018) and “Crash And Burn” (#27 in 2018).

  17. #217
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 24-01-19, 12:03

    So, that's a wrap!

    I'll update the lists on the second post of this topic later today so everything will be there to look up.

    Tomorrow, UKMix will be offline for a few days. After that, I'll present this years nominees for the Mammy Awards, the third and final step of this topic

    Thanks a lot for following this! <3

  18. #218
    Tansike's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    28 Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    46,359
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » Today, 09:32

    .
    M A M M Y . . A W A R D S . . 2 0 1 9
    .
    ...
    Following the Singles Year-End Charts 2018 and the Album Year-End Charts 2018, the third and final part of this topic is coming up shortly: the MAMMY AWARDS 2019.

    The 'Mammy Awards' are an annual award 'show' I've started many years ago. A few years ago I started to post them on UKMix as well, and while a separate topic did surprisingly well for 2015, it flopped hard the following year, which is why I decided to include them onto my YEC topic two years ago and still doing it so this year. The word 'Mammy' comes from Grammy, and my first name starts with a 'M', that's how the term 'Mammy' originated.

    There has been a change in the categories, as the Rock/Country/Alternative categories got divided into Rock/Alternative and Country/Alternative categories, bringing the total of different categories to 20. Unlike in all previous years, the categories will only have three nominees now, except the Best Airplay Artist category with ten nominees. This is all fun and the winners are chosen by me, but you all can obviously guess the winners, leave your thoughts about it or comment what nominee would be your favorite.

    The nominations will be released soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •