Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tansike's Year-End Charts 2018 [Mammy Awards / all nominees revealed]

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu December 13th, 2018, 21:55

* a huge thank you goes out to the amazing Era who did this wonderful banner! <3

Welcome to my Year-End Charts 2018!

As every year, this year I'll proudly present you the 100 most successful singles and the 50 most successful albums from my weekly chart plus the yearly Mammy Awards. The singles countdown will start SOON, with the album countdown following afterwards and the Mammy Awards 2019 being presented once the countdowns are over. There'll be some first bubbling under updates even sooner than soon, so stay tuned!

As usual, all songs and albums that made the weekly chart during 2018 will be revealed. All these bubbling under positions will be revealed at once before the main countdowns starts.

The rules about old releases which got intended last year also go into this years countdown. This means if a song or an album was released in 2017, its points for the countdown are reduced by 10%, if it was released in 2016, its points are reduced by 20% and so on, up to being released in 2008 or earlier and getting the points reduced by 90%.

Other than that, the rules remain the same. A weekly #1 gets 40 points (single) / 20 points (album), a weekly #2 gets 39 points (single) / 19 points (album) and so on. These points are all added and the result is this countdown.

Last years countdown: Tansike's Year-End Charts 2017 / Mammy Awards 2018
    The weekly chart: My Charts

I hope you guys enjoy this years countdown!
    Greetings, Tansike

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu December 13th, 2018, 21:56

Singles Year-End Charts 2018 - Bubbling Under (#464 - #101):
    Spoiler!

Singles Year-End Charts 2018 - Hot 100:
    Spoiler!

Album Year-End Charts 2018 - Bubbling Under (#205 - #51):
    Spoiler!

Album Year-End Charts 2018 - Hot 50:
    Spoiler!

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri December 14th, 2018, 04:32

I'm obviously looking forward to this! If that banner is anything to go by, this will be Ari's year here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    The rules about old releases which got intended last year also go into this years countdown. This means if a song or an album was released in 2017, its points for the countdown are reduced by 10%, if it was released in 2016, its points are reduced by 20% and so on, up to being released in 2008 or earlier and getting the points reduced by 90%.
    This is a cool rule!
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri December 14th, 2018, 04:35

Looking forward, and that graphic is completely STUN. I like that rule too!

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri December 14th, 2018, 17:56

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    I'm obviously looking forward to this! If that banner is anything to go by, this will be Ari's year here.

This is a cool rule!
    Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    Looking forward, and that graphic is completely STUN. I like that rule too!
    Thank you two! And thanks for pointing that rule out. There were often too many 'old' hits on my countdowns, and I felt like it should be more a representation of the best songs of the year, so I intended this rule to have a good mixture (most songs from the current year and if an old song made a really big impression, it should be presented as well).

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat December 15th, 2018, 13:32

will check this out when it starts!

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon December 17th, 2018, 08:40

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    will check this out when it starts!
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova
    Looking forward to this!
    Thanks! I hope there'll be some songs both of you will enjoy

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon December 17th, 2018, 09:18

464 different songs made my weekly Singles Top40 in the past 52 weeks, breaking the record of 384 songs from 2017 easily.

205 different albums made my weekly Album Top20 in the past 52 weeks, breaking the record of 180 albums from last year as well.

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue December 18th, 2018, 13:01

As every year, there were some songs or occasions which happened outside the main countdown as well, so before going into it I would love to share some noteworthy positions below the Top100.
    Eurovision Follow-ups

#423 Loïc Nottet – On Fire
    #300 Anna Rossinelli – Hold Your Head Up
    #280 Blanche – Moment
    #227 Blanche – Wrong Turn
    #218 Lena – Thank You
    #186 Emmelie de Forest – Sanctuary
    #179 Eleni Foureira – Caramela
    #174 Blanche – Soon
    #164 Mans Zelmerlöw – Happyland
    #163 Mikolas Josef – Me Gusta
    #156 Benjamin Ingrosso – Behave
    #117 Emmelie de Forest – History

As every year, the Eurovision Song Contest also made its impact on my weekly charts during 2018 with several entries from the contest even landing inside my countdown. However, it never really happened to have several artists scoring several follow-up hits and even some successful ones. In fact, 2018 had by far the most entries from (former) ESC artists ever that aren’t the ESC entries itself and at least one of them will appear on the main countdown as well.

A pop culture phenomenon called Drag

#385 Trixie Mattel – Moving Parts
    #222 Blair St. Clair – Irresistible
    #176 Blair St. Clair – Call My Name
    #111 RuPaul feat. Kennedy Davenport, Shangela, BeBe Zahara Benet & Trixie Mattel – Kitty Girl
    #105 Blair St. Clair – Now Or Never

Hands down, RuPaul&#39;s Drag Race has become a pop sensation and is taking over the world. In 2018, the reality TV show has become as popular as never before and some of its contestants even tried it in the music business, some of them more and some of them less successful. Season 10 contestant Blair St. Clair was easily the most successful of them all, as she scored three chart entries including the number two peaking "Now Or Never", a very strong dance-pop tune, plus she also scored a quite successful entry on my weekly Album Top20. The ‘All Stars 3’ collaboration "Kitty Girl" even became the very first number one hit for (a) Drag Queen(s) on my weekly charts and there&#39;s at least one more entry from that sensation on the main countdown. Definitely a phenomenon to keep an eye on.

Big Flops

#284 Carly Rae Jepsen – Party For One
    #257 Ellie Goulding, Diplo & Swae Lee – Close To Me
    #206 Ashley Tisdale – Voices In My Head
    #175 Zara Larsson – Ruin My Life

Not everything that I would like to highlight before the countdown starts is positive and here comes the negative part. These artists were all known for not only scoring big hits on my weekly charts with their previous era(s), but also for doing very well done pop tunes, however 2018 was definitely not their year. Maybe they will have some more luck in 2019, as they are all expected to release their new albums that year? Compared to their earlier stuff, Ashley Tisdale’s “Voices In My Head” probably turned out as the biggest disappointment, as the singer and actress owns the most certified song ever on My Charts with the 6x Platinum certified “Suddenly”.

Promising Hits for 2019

#139 Kerli – Savages
    #137 Grimes feat. HANA – We Appreciate Power
    #126 Mark Ronson feat. Miley Cyrus – Nothing Breaks Like A Heart

In the week 49/2018 these three songs all debuted inside the Top3 and they are all expected to smash during 2019 as well. There will obviously be some other songs which just debuted towards the end of 2018 and may score several points at the beginning of 2019 as well, but I&#39;m quite confident in saying that these three songs and/or these artists will smash during 2019 for sure.

Longevity

#247 OneRepublic – Connection
    #238 OneRepublic feat. Logic – Start Again
    #220 Martin Garrix & Khalid – Ocean
    #198 Astrid S – Emotion
    #172 Niall Horan – On The Loose
    #124 Owl City – Lucid Dream

2018 was the year for successful low-peaking singles on my weekly charts. Previously it was normal to have songs peaking high while showing some longevity or falling fast or songs peaking low and leaving the charts rather quickly, but in 2018 it became more common to see songs peaking relatively low on the weekly charts but still stay there for several weeks. The above mentioned tracks are many of them, with "Ludic Dream" by Owl City definitely being a little surprise hit as the Electronica singer didn&#39;t score a hit in years.

For all Bubbling Under positions (#464 - #101), please check out the second post in this topic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue December 18th, 2018, 17:58

'Alright' is a good tropical pop hit for the summer. Within Temptation made it again, the same for Avril. Somehow I'm a relatively big fan of 'Hey Hey Hey', it's a different side of Katy's style. 'A good night' is right on target for X-mas corporate party sound. Luis Fonsi recieves a big like from me for 'Echame La Culpa (Not On You), fresh vocals and beats. 'Real Deal' is the best song by Jessie J this year, 'Dinero' hit the mark with this stunning melodic line, just as Olly Murs with his track did, congrats! I think a big flop is Cheryl's song, she must concentrate herself on the sense and the rich musical palette, not only on the comeback as a fact.
    Top 10 - 23.05.2019.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue December 18th, 2018, 19:45

the bubbling under list is a bit too exhaustive, but from what I've seen, I like the Miley, Iggy (Saviour) and Lana (Mariners) songs, all will appear in my chart too

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue December 18th, 2018, 20:22

Quote Originally Posted by Top10
    'Alright' is a good tropical pop hit for the summer. Within Temptation made it again, the same for Avril. Somehow I'm a relatively big fan of 'Hey Hey Hey', it's a different side of Katy's style. 'A good night' is right on target for X-mas corporate party sound. Luis Fonsi recieves a big like from me for 'Echame La Culpa (Not On You), fresh vocals and beats. 'Real Deal' is the best song by Jessie J this year, 'Dinero' hit the mark with this stunning melodic line, just as Olly Murs with his track did, congrats! I think a big flop is Cheryl's song, she must concentrate herself on the sense and the rich musical palette, not only on the comeback as a fact.
    Glad to hear there are a few songs you really enjoy and very glad you actually went through that big list! From all these comments, the one for Jessie J hit me the most, as I thought "Real Deal" was actually one of her weakest releases this year. Hopefully she'll come back with something else next year. Also nice to hear you enjoy Within Temptation!

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    the bubbling under list is a bit too exhaustive, but from what I've seen, I like the Miley, Iggy (Saviour) and Lana (Mariners) songs, all will appear in my chart too
    Thanks for scrolling through the list! Yeah, I already thought it may be exhaustive and I also thought about revealing them at all or not. But in the end I thought it may be interesting to see which songs all made it... these are some good picks, glad they will appear in your chart too!

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue December 18th, 2018, 20:43

This should have been at least a minor hit in the charts, it ticked all of the boxes.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Manager
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue December 18th, 2018, 21:47

Great to see Emmelie de Forest listed here! Even though her new EP was overall a disappointment for me I really like "Sanctuary" and the other songs on it aren't terrible.

"Big Flops" looks really good too! (Although it has three artists who have other songs that are great.)

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue December 18th, 2018, 23:13

I nearly put some drag queen hits in my list this year and it would definitely have been Now or Never and Kitty Girl, yasss Miss Kennedy on a countdown! However my chart was just so stacked I decided not to but I am sure they will make my chart in future years as they are taking over, Henny!

I like lots of the stuff in your longevity section and it's a shame to see them miss out, namely Niall, Astrid and Garrix. I also like three of the four flops, exception Ashley which I don't know. I hope that means your chart is going to be absolutely banging if there's no room for these!

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue December 18th, 2018, 23:16

Actually a ton of my faves are in your bubbling under, maybe not much crossover ha,

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 03:09

Great idea spotlighting the key songs in the bubbling under section! Lemme look at the highlighted songs first.

I know Anvay likes Benjamin Ingrosso, but his music is so mediocre. He is handsome, though, but looks don't do much for you in the studio.

Listening to "Now or Never" now. It sounds cute so far.

I didn't realise "Party for One" was such a flop for you!

"Nothing Breaks Like a Heart" is one I'm saving for 2019. I think it should do well on my countdown next year.

Looking at the whole list, I'm hurt to see "Sanctify", "Fall in Line", "High Horse", "Head Above Water", and"With You" (!!!) so low. Nice to see the Queen of Soul there with "Respect", though.
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 07:54

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo

This should have been at least a minor hit in the charts, it ticked all of the boxes.
    True. At least it peaked at #72 in Germany, not too bad for a ESC winner... but streaming killed its chance to get an even better peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus

Great to see Emmelie de Forest listed here! Even though her new EP was overall a disappointment for me I really like "Sanctuary" and the other songs on it aren't terrible.

"Big Flops" looks really good too! (Although it has three artists who have other songs that are great.)
    Obviously no surprise to see you quoting both of Emmelie's song. A shame the EP never grew on you though, I still think it's quite good.

Haha of course you like the 'Big Flops' part

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed December 19th, 2018, 07:58

I nearly put some drag queen hits in my list this year and it would definitely have been Now or Never and Kitty Girl, yasss Miss Kennedy on a countdown! However my chart was just so stacked I decided not to but I am sure they will make my chart in future years as they are taking over, Henny!

I like lots of the stuff in your longevity section and it's a shame to see them miss out, namely Niall, Astrid and Garrix. I also like three of the four flops, exception Ashley which I don't know. I hope that means your chart is going to be absolutely banging if there's no room for these!
    Actually a ton of my faves are in your bubbling under, maybe not much crossover ha,
    Sooo happy to hear that these two nearly made your list!

2018 was such a strong year and I discovered as much music as never before, so especially "Emotion" and "On The Loose" still did pretty well considering everything. Hm, but you know who Ashley is, right?

Still hoping there'll be a few songs you will enjoy on the main countdown (Actually, I'm sure there'll be a few!)

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Great idea spotlighting the key songs in the bubbling under section! Lemme look at the highlighted songs first.

I know Anvay likes Benjamin Ingrosso, but his music is so mediocre. He is handsome, though, but looks don't do much for you in the studio.

Listening to "Now or Never" now. It sounds cute so far.

I didn't realise "Party for One" was such a flop for you!

"Nothing Breaks Like a Heart" is one I'm saving for 2019. I think it should do well on my countdown next year.

Looking at the whole list, I'm hurt to see "Sanctify", "Fall in Line", "High Horse", "Head Above Water", and"With You" (!!!) so low. Nice to see the Queen of Soul there with "Respect", though.
    Haha, it's the opposite for me. I don't see Benjamin as handsome at all, but his music is surprisingly good.

Glad you checked out "Now Or Never". It's a strong dance tune and Blair is gorgeous <3

It never clicked with me and I'd rank "Party For One" alongside "Boy Problems" and "Your Type" has Carly's weakest singles ever :(

Good news for "Nothing Breaks Like A Heart". Fingers crossed this may end up as a similar smash as "Uptown Funk"

Awww... on one side, I'm glad there are a few songs you really enjoy, on another side it's obviously sad they're all already gone. They are all good though, they just didn't click with me as much as some other songs did.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu December 20th, 2018, 00:18

Yes I've seen High School Musical!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu December 20th, 2018, 12:11

Quote Originally Posted by Blondini
    Nice to see Blanche in here at least.
    Hopefully she will release a debut album next year

Yes I've seen High School Musical!!
    Great!

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu December 20th, 2018, 18:51

100. DJ Snake feat. Selena Gomez, Cardi B & Ozuna – Taki Taki

Listen to "Taki Taki"

Chartrun: *4*-6-8-15-27-40-Out / 6w
    Certification: -

The countdown starts with a collaboration which I was really looking forward to, as new music by the Whisper Queen is always welcomed. Unfortunately, even though Selena is credited as the first featured artist, her part is very short. The biggest part is by Ozuna, and he’s quite annoying on “Taki Taki”. Still, in the end it was a nice bop with a very good video.

99. Shawn Mendes – In My Blood

Listen to "In My Blood"

Chartrun: *7*-10-15-32-Out-RE 12-24-Out / 6w

2018 has been Shawn’s breakthrough year for me personally. He always released some good pop songs but none of them really clicked with me until 2018. “In My Blood” is a well done pop song and the first of two appearances on the countdown for the Canadian cutie.

98. P!nk – Secrets

Listen to "Secrets"

Chartrun: *5*-5-12-19-28-32-38-Out / 7w

Unpopular opinion alert: “Beautiful Trauma” is the best album by P!nk so far. There are so many bops and it’s such a waste how they treated this era. Thankfully, one of the album’s good moments was released as the fourth and final single with “Secrets”, though it was basically just a single to go with the Australian leg of P!nk’s World Tour. It’s classic P!nk which still works nowadays.

97. The Weeknd – Call Out My Name

Listen to "Call Out My Name"

Chartrun: 3-*2*-10-16-24-Out / 5w

I have to be honest: Prior compiling this countdown, I nearly forgot the release of The Weeknd’s mini album “My Dear Melancholy,” earlier this year, with “Call Out My Name” being the only proper promoted song of that project. However, I love the dark atmosphere around this R&B track.

96. Alexander Jean feat. Lindsey Stirling – Stampede

Listen to "Stampede"

Chartrun: *2*-2-9-17-24-39-Out / 6w

Violinist and YouTube sensation Lindsey Stirling can’t be missed on my countdown and “Stampede” is her first out of five entries on the countdown in total. Here she teamed up with Alexander Jean, a duo consisting of Mark Ballas and BC Jean, the former is also known as a dancer on ‘Dancing With The Stars’. This is a nice folk-y uptempo song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu December 20th, 2018, 20:14

In My Blood was such a grower.