Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Tansike's Year-End Charts 2018

by » Wed January 16th, 2019, 22:43

Very interesting to see how well Ashley Monroe's album did here. I'm still wondering if there is something wrong with me that made it so I could not get into that album, despite loving her previous album in 2015. She was running circles around Kacey Musgraves that year, but that got totally reversed in 2018.

If I had somehow just seen this batch before listening to anything I would have guessed Ashley's album would be my favourite but now it is most definitely Vanessa Mai's album.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Thu January 17th, 2019, 12:52

I live for everyone on this site loving Meteorite despite it going absolutely nowhere in any charts lol. I love Palo Santo and have loved them since Take Shelter.

Voicenotes is cool.. he did get a follow up hit here, How Long was pretty big! And even Done For Me got decent radio play.

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by » Fri January 18th, 2019, 03:05

Oh, glad to hear you've explored Carrie's discography in its entirety. For me, she's the greatest country artist of all-time. If I had to pick my top 5 faves from each of her albums, they'd probably look like:

Some Hearts: Before He Cheats; Jesus, Take the Wheel; Starts with Goodbye; I Ain't in Checotah Anymore; The Night Before (Life Goes On)
    Carnival Ride: I Know You Won't; Just a Dream; All-American Girl; So Small; The More Boys I Meet
    Play On: Change; Cowboy Casanova; Undo It; Temporary Home; Unapologize
    Blown Away: Blown Away; Two Black Cadillacs; Good Girl; One Way Ticket; Cupid's Got a Shotgun
    Storyteller: Church Bells; Chaser; Mexico; Choctaw County Affair; Relapse
    Cry Pretty: Love Wins; The Champion; Drinking Alone; Kingdom; Backsliding

I don't know if you've heard some other songs/covers she's done, but no Carrie playlist is complete without:

Praying for Time
    There's a Place for Us
    Keep Us Safe
    Alone (the performance that sealed her fate as the Idol champ in season four)

Okay, so I think that's enough from me on Carrie!

We have parallel Years & Years stories! "Meteorite" was also the song that won me over. It was just so deliciously and unapologetically camp and pop that there was no resisting its allure. Then "Sanctify" came along, and was even better! Then the album dropped, and overall, it was one of the best pop releases by a male act of the decade! I'm a Y&Y fanboy now.

Bring on the symphonic metal!
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Fri January 18th, 2019, 06:44

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    Great to see ''Palo Santo'', it took some time to get into, but it turned out to be a pretty decent album.
    That's good to hear! I didn't know you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    Very interesting to see how well Ashley Monroe's album did here. I'm still wondering if there is something wrong with me that made it so I could not get into that album, despite loving her previous album in 2015. She was running circles around Kacey Musgraves that year, but that got totally reversed in 2018.

If I had somehow just seen this batch before listening to anything I would have guessed Ashley's album would be my favourite but now it is most definitely Vanessa Mai's album.
    When I said there are one or even two albums that you may like I meant exactly these two Yeah, I'm also surprised "Sparrow" never really clicked with you. But that happens. I mean, "The Blade" never really clicked with me and I ended up loving "Sparrow" so much.

Vanessa Mai's album is really strong. A shame it pretty much flopped in Germany despite reaching #1 on the charts :(

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    I live for everyone on this site loving Meteorite despite it going absolutely nowhere in any charts lol. I love Palo Santo and have loved them since Take Shelter.

Voicenotes is cool.. he did get a follow up hit here, How Long was pretty big! And even Done For Me got decent radio play.
    So true But I thought it was the ultimate gay pop anthem, if that makes sense

But "How Long" was still far away from being as successful as most of his previous singles, also especially compared to "Attention". I really thought he may get several Top10s from "Voicenotes" :(

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Fri January 18th, 2019, 07:17

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Oh, glad to hear you've explored Carrie's discography in its entirety. For me, she's the greatest country artist of all-time. If I had to pick my top 5 faves from each of her albums, they'd probably look like:

Some Hearts: Before He Cheats; Jesus, Take the Wheel; Starts with Goodbye; I Ain't in Checotah Anymore; The Night Before (Life Goes On)
    Carnival Ride: I Know You Won't; Just a Dream; All-American Girl; So Small; The More Boys I Meet
    Play On: Change; Cowboy Casanova; Undo It; Temporary Home; Unapologize
    Blown Away: Blown Away; Two Black Cadillacs; Good Girl; One Way Ticket; Cupid's Got a Shotgun
    Storyteller: Church Bells; Chaser; Mexico; Choctaw County Affair; Relapse
    Cry Pretty: Love Wins; The Champion; Drinking Alone; Kingdom; Backsliding

I don't know if you've heard some other songs/covers she's done, but no Carrie playlist is complete without:

Praying for Time
    There's a Place for Us
    Keep Us Safe
    Alone (the performance that sealed her fate as the Idol champ in season four)

Okay, so I think that's enough from me on Carrie!

We have parallel Years & Years stories! "Meteorite" was also the song that won me over. It was just so deliciously and unapologetically camp and pop that there was no resisting its allure. Then "Sanctify" came along, and was even better! Then the album dropped, and overall, it was one of the best pop releases by a male act of the decade! I'm a Y&Y fanboy now.

Bring on the symphonic metal!
    Interesting to hear she's the greatest country artist of all time for you! She's actually second to me, only behind Dolly Parton. But that one is a legend.

Thanks a lot for all the Top5 and the links you've posted! I'm currently not at home and can't check these out, but I'll do that soon. Even though I heard all of the pre-"Blown Away" albums, I never really explored them properly. I only checked them out once or twice so that I finally heard them. So I really need to listen to them again, as she's a fantastic artist with a strong discography that deserves way more of my attention.

btw, we have the same faves on "Cry Pretty" and nearly the same on "Blown Away" (I'd switch "One Way Ticket" with "See You Again").
    As for "Storyteller", my current faves would be "Church Bells", "Clock Don't Stop", "Chaser", "Relapse" and "Renegade Runaway", so we have three in common there ("Choctaw County Affair" would come sixth for me).

And there's never enough of Carrie!
    I always appreciate these lists or recommendations A LOT, I just need a few days to check these things out

Yes, I remember that we both were so into "Meteorite", me later than you as I still remember how surprised you were when this reached my weekly Top3 like months after its release I wouldn't call myself a fanboy now but I'm pretty close to that, "Palo Santo" is such a strong pop album. I'm already so excited for a follow-up

Well, not a lot of symphonic metal, but some other typical 'Tansike' things will be there

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Fri January 18th, 2019, 07:30

10. Rachel Platten – Waves

Listen to "Collide"

Chartrun in 2017: *1*-2-4-4-5-7-8-11- / 8w
    Chartrun in 2018: 12-8-5-5-*4*-5-6-5-8-8-9-9-14-16-19-Out / 15w
    Certification: PLATINUM
    Ranking in the YEC 2017: #16

Rachel Platten’s unexpected pop masterpiece “Waves” opens the Top10. The second album following her mainstream breakthrough already came out in the fourth quarter of 2017, which is why it already charted quite high on last years countdown and despite the rules for old releases, it’s charting even higher on this years countdown. Similar to “Wildfire”, this is such a strong pop record from start to finish. There are quite a few highlights, but what I really love is that there’s no clear standout, instead it’s the album as a whole that stands out. It’s sad how this bombed and she gave up on it after just one proper and one promo single, it deserved way more.

9. Auri – Auri

Listen to "I Hope Your World Is Kind"

Chartrun: *1*-2-1-3-7-10-10-14-16-16-15-17-12-15-13-20-Out-RE 20-SC / 17w
    Certification: GOLD

Auri is a new formed band, containing of Tuomas Holopainen (the mastermind behind Nightwish), Troy Donockley (Nightwish band member) and Johanna Kurkela (Tuomas’ wife and a popular singer from Finland). Tuomas already released a solo album a few years ago, where Johanna sung a few songs. It worked so well, that Tuomas decided to form this group, as he wanted to create music that doesn’t really fit with Nightwish, so Auri came to life. This is a very special and unusual release, as it’s basically impossible to label this with a genre – Wikipedia went with ‘Progressive folk’. The two singles “Night 13” and “The Space Between” are already out of a genre, but they’re the most commercial ones from the whole album. It’s a magical experience when one’s open to new things.

8. Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Listen to "La forza" by Elina Nechayeva

Chartrun: 5-7-5-3-*1*-1-3-6-10-13-14-17-Out / 12w

As every year, the compilation for the Eurovision Song Contest obviously gets a spot on my countdown as well. 2018 was a very strong year with several great entries and a winner that was deserved (even though I would’ve preferred another winner: Estonia). 2017 was a little letdown for me especially after the strong 2016, so 2018 got back into the right direction. 30 entries of the contest made my weekly charts last year, with seven of them even reaching the Top10 (Finland, Israel, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Estonia, Cyprus and Sweden) and four of them being certified with Gold (Bulgaria, Estonia, Cyprus) or Platinum (Finland).

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Fri January 18th, 2019, 20:43

'Invasion of Privacy' is a way better album than i had originally expected from Cardi B. There's a lot of great songs on there, even the songs that weren't made singles (like 'I Do') are great!

'Palo Santo' was a great follow up from Years & Years, glad they came through after the rather generic 'If You're Over Me'.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by » Sun January 20th, 2019, 07:51

'Speak Your Mind' is great.

And I must admit I start to really like Vanessa Mai. I found myself listening to her a lot lately.

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 12:00

Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova
    'Invasion of Privacy' is a way better album than i had originally expected from Cardi B. There's a lot of great songs on there, even the songs that weren't made singles (like 'I Do') are great!

'Palo Santo' was a great follow up from Years & Years, glad they came through after the rather generic 'If You're Over Me'.
    Same for me! She really brought it with her debut

Yes! Can't believe "If You're Over Me" became such a big hit for them, it's easily my least favorite song on "Palo Santo"

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    'Speak Your Mind' is great.

And I must admit I start to really like Vanessa Mai. I found myself listening to her a lot lately.
    It is - glad you're liking it too!

YASSS so happy to hear that! I was already so surprised when she made an appearance on your list a few weeks (or months) back. "Schlager" is actually a very strong pop album and she's currently my favorite female artist from Germany

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 21:01

7. Brandi Carlile – By The Way, I Forgive You

Listen to "The Joke"

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-2-4-4-7-9-15-18-12-13-12-17-Out-RE 19-Out / 15w

Nearly a year ago, Brandi Carlile has released her sixth studio album called “By The Way, I Forgive You”, and apart from her self-titled debut, I know and heard all of her albums and I would say I’m definitely a little fan of Brandi. Back then I would’ve never, ever dreamed that a year later, I’m able to write that this is nominated for a Grammy as Album of the Year, plus “The Joke” is nominated for Song AND Record of the year. Oh, and it also got nominations in the Americana categories. That’s huge, as Brandi is everything but what’s seen as ‘in’ or liked by these kind of things. The openly lesbian (she’s married and already has two children with her wife) is a very talented singer-songwriter and she proves it with this album, which is her strongest to date.

6. Faun – XV – Best Of

Listen to "Walpurgisnacht"

Chartrun: *4*-7-10-14-9-10-5-6-9-12-13-11-10-9-12-12-20-Out / 17w

Here’s an album that surprised me a lot last year: “XV – Best Of”, the first best of compilation by German Pagan-Folk band Faun. The band only caught my attention in 2016 with their ninth studio album “Midgard”, so this best of was the best opportunity to discover some of their earlier stuff as well and that’s also why this was such a success for me. Alongside Rachel Platten’s “Waves” at #10, this is the only album in the Top10 of the countdown that didn’t topped my weekly album charts, interestingly both peaked at #4. This is Pagan-Folk at its best, and as someone who is usually not attracted to German lyrics, they still work perfectly.

5. Leaves’ Eyes – Sign Of The Dragonhead

Listen to "Jomsborg"

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-1-3-6-9-12-13-15-18-14-13-20-Out-RE 18-13-18-15-16-Out / 19w

From a Pagan-Folk band to a Symphonic Metal band – The Top10 is definitely very me! This was yet another surprise discovery. Even though I heard about Leaves’ Eyes already years ago, their seventh studio album “Sign Of The Dragonhead” was the first time I checked them out and I have no idea why I waited so long! This came out in January last year, spending its first fourth week atop the charts (tied with two other albums as the longest running number one album of 2018) and it led the Year-To-Date charts for several months. This is symphonic metal at its best, including some folk/Viking elements.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Tue January 22nd, 2019, 23:14

4. The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen) – The Dark Element

Listen to "The Ghost And The Reaper"

Chartrun in 2017: *1*-1-1-2-3-5- / 6w
    Chartrun in 2018: 9-5-6-9-7-3-4-*1*-3-5-2-4-10-14-15-Out-RE 16-19-Out-RE 20-Out / 18w
    Ranking in the YEC 2017: #24

Just missing out a spot in the Top3 is “The Dark Element” by The Dark Element, a duo formed by former Nightwish frontwoman Anette Olzon and Finnish musician & songwriter Jani Liimatainen. This album already came out in late 2017 and is the highest placed album on the countdown that already charted on the previous countdown. Since the invention of my weekly album charts in 2013, 2018 becomes the second year ever where the Top3 doesn’t have a release from the previous year and the points reduction rule for old releases didn’t even change that this year.

Similar to the previous two entries on the countdown by Faun and Leaves’ Eyes, “The Dark Element” is very me: Anette Olzon is known as a former frontwoman of the symphonic metal pioneers Nightwish, a genre she’s touching again on “The Dark Element”. However, this is more straight forward rock/metal with some catchy hooks and Anette herself once said it's like a mixture of symphonic metal and ABBA, which fits very well as a description, as the lyrics and melodies are sometimes very poppy and cheesy.

3. Bebe Rexha – Expectations

Listen to "Knees", ”Self Control”, ”Don't Get Any Closer”

Chartrun: *1*-1-1-1-2-2-3-4-6-8-11-12-12-9-13-14-15-Out-RE 19-Out / 18w

The Top3 starts with what’s probably the biggest breakthrough of 2018 for me: Bebe Rexha and her debut album “Expectations”. A few years ago, when Bebe started to get some mainstream attention, I struggled to get into her as an artist and into her songs, so I didn’t bother to check her out more. However, soon after that, I started to really like her with the Martin Garrix collaboration “In The Name Of Love” and fell in love with her shortly after with “I Got You”. Ever since, she has released a lot of random collaborations, unfortunately just a few singles on her own and quite a few bops overall.

“Expectations” is what you’d expect after hearing “I Got You” and “I’m A Mess”: It’s a pure pop album with a very striking voice, very catchy melodies and actually some gems when it comes to lyrics (“Knees”, “I’m A Mess”). If you’re into pop music, you really have to check this out. Interestingly, I use to skip the opener (“Ferrari”) and the closer (“Meant To Be”), as both don’t really fit on this record and the rest flows perfectly. She made everything right on this for me and I just hope the next era will be executed better, as she basically only released one proper single despite having a bunch of single worthy tunes.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Wed January 23rd, 2019, 19:06

I'm shook that you rate her album so much, I think of her as a singles artist completely, but you've made me want to give it a spin

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Wed January 23rd, 2019, 20:19

Already moving on and finishing the album countdown very soon, so it's done before UKMix goes offline...

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    I'm shook that you rate her album so much, I think of her as a singles artist completely, but you've made me want to give it a spin
    I guess you're talking about Bebe, right? Yes, her album is surprisingly strong, it was a big surprise for me as well. Definitely worth to check out if you like pop and already liked some of her singles.

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by » Thu January 24th, 2019, 04:04

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    Interesting to hear she's the greatest country artist of all time for you! She's actually second to me, only behind Dolly Parton. But that one is a legend.
    Oh, what are your Dolly faves? Beyond "Jolene", "9 to 5", and (obviously) "I Will Always Love You", I'm not too familiar with her music. I vaguely remember Wayne fawning over "Coat of Many Colours".

Thanks a lot for all the Top5 and the links you've posted! I'm currently not at home and can't check these out, but I'll do that soon. Even though I heard all of the pre-"Blown Away" albums, I never really explored them properly. I only checked them out once or twice so that I finally heard them. So I really need to listen to them again, as she's a fantastic artist with a strong discography that deserves way more of my attention.
    No problem. Hope you discover something you like!

btw, we have the same faves on "Cry Pretty" and nearly the same on "Blown Away" (I'd switch "One Way Ticket" with "See You Again").
    As for "Storyteller", my current faves would be "Church Bells", "Clock Don't Stop", "Chaser", "Relapse" and "Renegade Runaway", so we have three in common there ("Choctaw County Affair" would come sixth for me).
    I actually really like "Clock Don't Stop", too! It has some...quirky moments that I like.

And there's never enough of Carrie!
    I always appreciate these lists or recommendations A LOT, I just need a few days to check these things out
    Glad you think so!

Yes, I remember that we both were so into "Meteorite", me later than you as I still remember how surprised you were when this reached my weekly Top3 like months after its release I wouldn't call myself a fanboy now but I'm pretty close to that, "Palo Santo" is such a strong pop album. I'm already so excited for a follow-up
    Hope they secure your heart with their follow-up!

Well, not a lot of symphonic metal, but some other typical 'Tansike' things will be there
    Save for the ESC compilation, it's an unfamiliar top 10. I'm awaiting the light to bring back everything (most of) the top 10 thus far stole.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Thu January 24th, 2019, 10:59

Oh, what are your Dolly faves? Beyond "Jolene", "9 to 5", and (obviously) "I Will Always Love You", I'm not too familiar with her music. I vaguely remember Wayne fawning over "Coat of Many Colours".
    Interestingly, I would’ve said “Coat Of Many Colours” as well, definitely her best after the three classics you’ve mentioned. I also love ”The Bargain Store” a lot. As for more recent ones, ”If I Had Wings” is definitely my fave.

No problem. Hope you discover something you like!
    With UKMix going down for a few days tomorrow, I guess I will have the time to check a few things out…

I actually really like "Clock Don't Stop", too! It has some...quirky moments that I like.
    Oh, somehow I thought you didn’t really like it That’s awesome! I love its lyrics… kinda relatable to me.

Hope they secure your heart with their follow-up!
    I hope so too! “Palo Santo” was already a great album and if the follow-up is similar, I can see myself becoming a big fan

Save for the ESC compilation, it's an unfamiliar top 10. I'm awaiting the light to bring back everything (most of) the top 10 thus far stole.
    I’m sure you know Rachel Platten and Bebe Rexha based on their names at least… but yeah, I knew my Top10 this year is very unpopular. I’d definitely recommend Rachel’s and Bebe’s album for pop lovers, they’re really strong. Also, I’d recommend Brandi Carlile, at least the track ”The Joke”. Her album is nominated for AOTY and the song is nominated for Record and Song of the Year at the Grammy awards this year and somehow I think you may like her

Anyways, I’m sure there’s at least one album you definitely know in my Top2

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Thu January 24th, 2019, 13:01

2. Ariana Grande – Sweetener

Listen to the singles, "Goodnight N Go", ”Get Well Soon”

Chartrun: *1*-2-1-1-3-3-5-4-2-3-4-3-2-1-5-3-4-3-SC / 18w

No one was able to escape from Ariana Grande in 2018 and following the success on my Singles Year-End Charts (“God Is A Woman” at #2, “No Tears Left To Cry” at #1) it was clear to see her fourth studio album “Sweetener” ranking high as well, however, it’s not quite on top.

“Sweetener” is tied with Leaves’ Eyes “Sign Of The Dragonhead” (#5) and Bebe Rexha’s “Expectations” (#3) as the longest running number one album of the year with four weeks, though it’s the only of the three that didn’t do it in consecutive weeks. It has over 80 points more than “Expectations”, making it a clear second placed album and it’s already her second most successful album ever on my weekly chart, only behind “My Everything”. It spent its whole chartrun in the Top5 so far (and is still doing so in 2019 so far), giving it the longest consecutive run in the Top5 since Lana Del Rey's "Born To Die" spent its first 38 weeks in the Top5 back in 2012!

Surprisingly, I wasn't sure at all about "Sweetener" at first. Apart from the singles, none of the other songs really stood out and it was quite a big disappointment at first. However, the more I played it, the more I liked it, and after all these weeks "Sweetener" has ended up as my most favorite album by Ariana ever. It flows so well as a whole. The singles are pop gems, while the album tracks are very R&B-ish. She already did that on her previous records, but I think it works the best on "Sweetener", making it her most cohesive work to date.

1. My Indigo (Sharon den Adel) – My Indigo

Listen to "Indian Summer", ”Black Velvet Sun”, ”Star Crossed Lovers”, ”My Indigo”, ”Out Of The Darkness”

Chartrun: *1*-1-2-4-4-5-7-8-8-7-10-8-5-6-8-9-9-7-9-4-6-5-8-10-10-11-6-9-12-11-12-Out-RE 14-12-11-SC / 34w
    Certification: 2x PLATINUM

And the most successful album of 2018 is “My Indigo”, the solo debut album by Dutch singer and songwriter Sharon den Adel, best known for being the singer and founder of the Dutch symphonic rock band Within Temptation.

“My Indigo” is by far the longest charting album of the year with 34 weeks, 15 weeks more than the second longest charting album of the year. It’s also a clear frontrunner on the Year-End Charts as it has 455 points, while Ariana Grande’s “Sweetener” has 328 points and Bebe Rexha’s “Expectations” just 244 points. This success isn't the biggest surprise, as the last studio album by her band Within Temptation spent over 70 weeks on my weekly charts, making it one of the most successful albums of all time.

The reason for this solo debut album is a rather sad one. Sharon dealt with several stuff in her personal life and even in her band Within Temptation. She couldn't write for the band anymore and rumors say that she and her husband (the co-founder of the band) had a crisis as well. Sharon started to write songs again because of all these personal things, but the songs turned out different than what the band usually does, so she decided to put it out as a solo work - and it definitely worked! This is a very nice, quite short album. It has ten songs and a length of 38 minutes - exactly the same amount of songs and length of "Shine", the solo debut album by Anette Olzon, who was the frontwoman of fellow symphonic rock band Nightwish and that one ended up atop my Year-End Charts four years ago… coincidence?

"My Indigo" has different genres with Indie Pop being the closest ones to describe the music. It's very soft-ish, has a lot of pop elements and surprisingly no rock elements, but ballads such as "Out Of The Darkness" or "Where Is My Love" still have a little bit of the Within Temptation sound. It's also very commercial which I love. Sharon's voice is heavenly and still one of the best ones out there, so hearing her voice on other genres is a great experience and here’s hope this wasn’t her last solo work.

The album has spawned three singles with “My Indigo” (#72 on the YEC 2017, #68 on the YEC 2018), “Out Of The Darkness” (#236 in 2017, #25 in 2018) and “Crash And Burn” (#27 in 2018).

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Thu January 24th, 2019, 13:03

So, that's a wrap!

I'll update the lists on the second post of this topic later today so everything will be there to look up.

Tomorrow, UKMix will be offline for a few days. After that, I'll present this years nominees for the Mammy Awards, the third and final step of this topic

Thanks a lot for following this! <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Fri February 22nd, 2019, 10:32

M A M M Y . . A W A R D S . . 2 0 1 9
    Following the Singles Year-End Charts 2018 and the Album Year-End Charts 2018, the third and final part of this topic is coming up shortly: the MAMMY AWARDS 2019.

The 'Mammy Awards' are an annual award 'show' I've started many years ago. A few years ago I started to post them on UKMix as well, and while a separate topic did surprisingly well for 2015, it flopped hard the following year, which is why I decided to include them onto my YEC topic two years ago and still doing it so this year. The word 'Mammy' comes from Grammy, and my first name starts with a 'M', that's how the term 'Mammy' originated.

There has been a change in the categories, as the Rock/Country/Alternative categories got divided into Rock/Alternative and Country/Alternative categories, bringing the total of different categories to 20. Unlike in all previous years, the categories will only have three nominees now, except the Best Airplay Artist category with ten nominees. This is all fun and the winners are chosen by me, but you all can obviously guess the winners, leave your thoughts about it or comment what nominee would be your favorite.

The nominations will be released soon.

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by » Sat February 23rd, 2019, 14:45

I still don't think Sweetener is Ari's best album, and I suspect I never will. "No Tears Left to Cry" has grown on me a lot, though. I think I'm in a much better place to hear its message these days, as opposed to last year when it was released. And, of course, "Breathin" and "God Is a Woman" are two of the finest songs of all-time.

I might check out the My Indigo album later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    I’m sure you know Rachel Platten and Bebe Rexha based on their names at least… but yeah, I knew my Top10 this year is very unpopular. I’d definitely recommend Rachel’s and Bebe’s album for pop lovers, they’re really strong. Also, I’d recommend Brandi Carlile, at least the track ”The Joke”. Her album is nominated for AOTY and the song is nominated for Record and Song of the Year at the Grammy awards this year and somehow I think you may like her

Anyways, I’m sure there’s at least one album you definitely know in my Top2
    I feel like Rachel Platten and Bebe Rexha do very basic, pedestrian pop, and that's difficult for me to listen to, but I might check them out later.

I've actually heard "The Joke"! It's not bad.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Wed March 20th, 2019, 16:23

^ So glad to hear "No Tears" grew on you a lot. It's still in my personal Top3 of her best songs ever. As for the album, I've started to get a little bit over it, maybe I'll think differently in a few months/years and wouldn't say it's my favorite album of hers but as for now it still is.

Ah makes sense. That's actually why I'm enjoying both of them. Sometimes I need these basic pop hits in my life.

Good to hear that! She had a brilliant performance at the Grammy Awards this year and I was so happy that she's finally getting some mainstream recognition <3

Was a little roller-coaster ride in my life lately so the reveal of the nominees got a little bit delayed but I'm finally moving on now, so the first half of the nominees will be released on the next post...

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Wed March 20th, 2019, 16:50

Best Pop Solo Performance

God Is A Woman by Ariana Grande
    La forza by Elina Nechayeva
    Sober by Demi Lovato

The Mammy for 'Best Pop Solo Performance' is for songs with the genre pop and by one artist. Every pop song that was released as a single during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2011 and there used to be two awards from 2011 to 2013 - one for male and one for female.

Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group

Bones by Equinox
    Brother by Kodaline
    Idol by BTS

The Mammy for 'Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group' is for songs with the genre pop and by a Duo or by a Group. Every pop song that was released as a single during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2011.

Best Pop Collaboration

Friends by Marshmello & Anne-Marie
    Home by Machine Gun Kelly, X Ambassadors & Bebe Rexha
    Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson feat. Miley Cyrus

The Mammy for 'Best Pop Collaboration' is for songs with the genre pop and must be a collaboration between at least two artists, no matter if these artists are solo artists, a Duo or a Group. Every pop song that was released as a single during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2011.

Best Pop Vocal Album

Palo Santo by Years & Years
    Phoenix by Rita Ora
    Schlager by Vanessa Mai

The Mammy for 'Best Pop Vocal Album' is for albums with the genre pop. Every pop album that was released during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible, instrumental albums are not allowed. That category exists since 2011.

Best Dance Recording

First Light by Lindsey Stirling
    My Way by One Bit & Noah Cyrus
    The Middle by Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey

The Mammy for 'Best Dance Recording' is for songs with the genre dance/electronic. Every song that was released as a single during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2011.

Best Electronic/Dance Album

Call My Life by Blair St. Clair
    Different World by Alan Walker
    Treehouse by Sofi Tukker

The Mammy for 'Best Electronic/Dance Album' is for albums with the genre dance/electronic. Every album that was released during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2011.

Best Rock/Alternative Recording

Across The Sea by Leaves’ Eyes
    Feuer by Faun
    The Space Between by Auri

The Mammy for 'Best Rock/Alternative Recording' is for songs with the genre rock or similar genres. Every song that was released as a single during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2019 and replaces the category 'Best Rock/Country/Alternative Song' that existed since 2011.

Best Rock/Alternative Album

Auri by Auri
    Helix by Amaranthe
    Sign Of The Dragonhead by Leaves’ Eyes

The Mammy for 'Best Rock/Alternative Album' is for albums with the genre rock or similar genres. Every album that was released as a single during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2019 and replaces the category 'Best Rock/Country/Alternative Album' that existed since 2013.

Best Country/Alternative Recording

High Horse by Kacey Musgraves
    Love Wins by Carrie Underwood
    The Joke by Brandi Carlile

The Mammy for 'Best Country/Alternative Recording' is for songs with the genre country or similar genres. Every song that was released as a single during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2019 and replaces the category 'Best Rock/Country/Alternative Song' that existed since 2011.

Best Country/Alternative Album

By The Way, I Forgive You by Brandi Carlile
    Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves
    Sparrow by Ashley Monroe

The Mammy for 'Best Country/Alternative Album' is for albums with the genre country or similar genres. Every album that was released as a single during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2019 and replaces the category 'Best Rock/Country/Alternative Album' that existed since 2013.

Best R&B/Urban Recording

Chun-Li by Nicki Minaj
    I Like It by Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin
    Thank U, Next by Ariana Grande

The Mammy for 'Best R&B/Urban Song' is for songs with the genre R&B/urban. Every song which was released as a single during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2014.

Best R&B/Urban Album

Caution by Mariah Carey
    Invasion Of Privacy by Cardi B
    Queen by Nicki Minaj

The Mammy for 'Best R&B/Urban Album' is for albums with the genre R&B/Urban. Every album which was released during 2018 or late 2017 is eligible. That category exists since 2014.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Sat April 20th, 2019, 19:23

Life kept me busier than expected, but better late than never; here are the other eight categories with their nominees from the Mammy Awards 2019!

Album Of The Year

Expectations by Bebe Rexha
    My Indigo by My Indigo
    Sweetener by Ariana Grande

The Mammy for ’Album Of The Year’ is for every album that was released during 2018 or late 2017, no matter of its genre. The album that made the biggest impact on me during that year will win. That category exists since 2011.

Song Of The Year

No Tears Left To Cry by Ariana Grande
    Solo by Clean Bandit feat. Demi Lovato
    The Reckoning by Within Temptation feat. Jacoby Shaddix

The Mammy for ’Song Of The Year’ is for every single that was released during 2018 or late 2017, no matter of its genre. The song that made the biggest impact on me during that year will win. That category exists since 2011.

Artist Of The Year

Ariana Grande
    Bebe Rexha
    My Indigo

The Mammy for ’Artist Of The Year’ is for every artist who released a single and/or an album and/or an EP during 2018, no matter of its genre. The artist who made the biggest impact on me during that year will win. That category exists since 2014.

Best Album Track

Ages Past, Ages Hence by Loreena McKennitt (from Lost Souls)
    Black Velvet Sun by My Indigo (from My Indigo)
    Feuer und Eis by Vanessa Mai (from Schlager)
    Knees by Bebe Rexha (from Expectations)
    Orphan by Ashley Monroe (from Sparrow)
    Palo Santo by Years & Years (from Palo Santo)

The Mammy for ’Best Album Track' is for every song that wasn’t released as a single and is on an album that was released during 2018 or late 2017, no matter of its genre. The best song will win. That category exists since 2015.

Best Live Act

Demi Lovato
    Imagine Dragons
    Within Temptation

During 2018, I attended five concerts and three of the artists I’ve seen live are nominated for the Mammy for ’Best Live Act’. The act I enjoyed the most and made the best concert will win. Missing out a nomination are Evanescence and Nightwish. That category exists since 2015.

Best New Artist

Anne-Marie
    Billie Eilish
    Cardi B

The Mammy for ’Best New Artist’ is for every artist who released a single and/or an album and/or an EP during 2018, no matter of its genre. The artist must be a new one or must have had his first entry ever on my charts during 2018 or late 2017. The artist who had the biggest impact on me and is the most promising one will win. That category exists since 2011.

Best Airplay Artist
    Anette Olzon
    Ariana Grande
    Auri
    Bebe Rexha
    Imagine Dragons
    Lady Gaga
    Leaves’ Eyes
    Lindsey Stirling
    My Indigo
    Within Temptation

The ten most played artists during 2018 are nominated for the Mammy for ’Best Airplay Artist’ no matter if their played stuff was released during 2018 or not. Not the artist with the most plays will win, but the one that got played all the time during that year and had the biggest impact on my daily life through this. That category exists since 2014.

Best Music Video

I Wonder As I Wander by Lindsey Stirling (*VIDEO*)
    Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson feat. Miley Cyrus (*VIDEO*)
    This Is America by Childish Gambino (*VIDEO*)

The Mammy for ’Best Music Video’ is for every music video that was released during 2018. The best music video wins. That category exists since 2014.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Fri August 30th, 2019, 09:14

Well... Flop Let me finally move on with revealing the long overdue winners for the Mammy Awards 2019 and fingers crossed I’ll be able to do this on time next year! Here’s the first bunch of winners – the 12 genre categories. The second bunch comes on Sunday.

W I N N E R S
    Best Pop Solo Performance

God Is A Woman by Ariana Grande

The Mammy for 'Best Pop Solo Performance' goes to God Is A Woman by Ariana Grande. This is her first victory in this category and the fourth consecutive win for a female artist.

Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group

Brother by Kodaline

The Mammy for 'Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group' goes to Brother by Kodaline. This was the first and only nomination for the Irish band and they beat the two big hits Bones by Equinox and Idol by BTS.

Best Pop Collaboration

Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson feat. Miley Cyrus

The Mammy for 'Best Pop Collaboration' goes to Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson and Miley Cyrus. A tough category, but the late release didn’t stop this song from its victory.

Best Pop Vocal Album

Schlager by Vanessa Mai

The Mammy for 'Best Pop Vocal Album' goes to Schlager by Vanessa Mai in most likely the toughest genre category. It’s already the ninth consecutive win in this category for a female solo artist and the very first German release to win any Mammy award.

Best Dance Recording

My Way by One Bit & Noah Cyrus

The Mammy for 'Best Dance Recording' goes to My Way by One Bit and Noah Cyrus. This was a very tough decision but in the end, My Way prevented Lindsey Stirling from getting an impressive third win in this category.

Best Electronic/Dance Album

Treehouse by Sofi Tukker

The Mammy for 'Best Electronic/Dance Album' goes to Treehouse by Sofi Tukker. The electronic/dance duo really delivered a strong debut effort.

Best Rock/Alternative Recording

Across The Sea by Leaves’ Eyes

The Mammy for 'Best Rock/Alternative Recording' goes to Across The Sea by Leaves’ Eyes. Leaves’ Eyes first and only chart entry so far won this very competitive category.

Best Rock/Alternative Album

Sign Of The Dragonhead by Leaves’ Eyes

The Mammy for 'Best Rock/Alternative Album' goes to Sign Of The Dragonhead by Leaves’ Eyes. Despite being in the business for a long time, this album was their first notation on My Charts and beat their strong comeptitors Auri and Amaranthe.

Best Country/Alternative Recording

The Joke by Brandi Carlile

The Mammy for 'Best Country/Alternative Recording' goes to The Joke by Brandi Carlile. It’s her first win in any song category.

Best Country/Alternative Album

By The Way, I Forgive You by Brandi Carlile

The Mammy for 'Best Country/Alternative Album' goes to By The Way, I Forgive You by Brandi Carlile. This is already her second win in that album category following 2013’s victory for Bear Creek.

Best R&B/Urban Recording

I Like It by Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin

The Mammy for 'Best R&B/Urban Song' goes to I Like It by Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin. The newcomer had a fantastic debut era and proved she’s not a one hit wonder.

Best R&B/Urban Album

Invasion Of Privacy by Cardi B

The Mammy for 'Best R&B/Urban Album' goes to Invasion Of Privacy by Cardi B. Her debut album was strong enough to beat two queens: Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by » Mon September 2nd, 2019, 20:16

And here’s the second group of Mammy winners. With these, this topic is finally done... see you in early 2020 for the Year-End Charts 2019

W I N N E R S
    Album Of The Year

My Indigo by My Indigo

The Mammy for ’Album Of The Year’ goes to My Indigo by My Indigo. It’s been a tough battle between the winner and Sweetener by Ariana Grande, in the end the frontwoman of Within Temptation won.

Song Of The Year

No Tears Left To Cry by Ariana Grande

The Mammy for ’Song Of The Year’ goes to No Tears Left To Cry by Ariana Grande. This is her second win in this category following 2015’s Break Free, making Ariana the only artist with two wins in this category.

Artist Of The Year

Ariana Grande

The Mammy for ’Artist Of The Year’ goes to Ariana Grande. Following Nightwish and Kerli, Ariana becomes the third artist with three victories in the big categories.

Best Album Track

Black Velvet Sun by My Indigo (from My Indigo)

The Mammy for ’Best Album Track' goes to Black Velvet Sun by Indigo. This is just the second time an album track from the Album Of The Year winner gets this award.

Best Live Act

Within Temptation

The Mammy for ’Best Live Act' goes to Within Temptation. It’s already their second win in this category. It was a tough battle especially against Imagine Dragons, who also put on a fantastic live show.

Best New Artist

Anne-Marie

The Mammy for ’Best New Artist’ goes to Anne-Marie. She follows some major artists such as Bruno Mars, Ariana Grande or Sam Smith, who all also won the Best New Artist category in their breakthrough years.

Best Airplay Artist

My Indigo

The Mammy for ’Best Airplay Artist’ goes to My Indigo. With 1,373 plays, My Indigo was the third most played artist of 2018 and got played in every month, with February 2018 being the month with the least amount of plays (18).

Best Music Video

Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson feat. Miley Cyrus (*VIDEO*)

The Mammy for ’Best Music Video’ goes to Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson and Miley Cyrus. This makes Nothing Breaks Like A Heart the only nominee with two wins following its ’Best Pop Collaboration’ victory this year.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by » Sun September 8th, 2019, 01:46

Your new artist nominees are solid. I really only know Anne-Marie as a feature on tracks - like f*** I'm Lonely rn, but have always enjoyed her voice.