Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tansike's Year-End Charts 2018 [Mammy Awards / all nominees revealed]

Legend
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

by » Thu December 20th, 2018, 20:26

For me Benjamin Ingrosso out-Shawn Mendes-ed even Shawn Mendes, if you can frame it that way.
    Surprisingly, Swedish music biz has kinda lost it in the last few years (since 2016), and a lot of promising artists fail to transition into something bigger overseas.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Thu December 20th, 2018, 21:01

The Shawn Mendes song is really excellent, pleased to see he made his mark with you!
    I'm not such a big fan of Taki Taki, though to try and deny that it's catchy is very hard,
    The Pink one, I considered charting it, but I literally only knew it was a single because of Wiki, it made no impact here and I really didn't play it this year. It's still a good song though! Ha.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by » Thu December 20th, 2018, 21:04

'Taki Taki' is that bop
    'Secrets' and 'In My Blood' are nice tracks

Legend
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

by » Fri December 21st, 2018, 00:41

"Secrets" is okay, and "Call Out My Name" isn't awful, though I also forgot about it.

"In My Blood" is the best of the batch - one of Shawn's stronger singles.
    I was ambitious, though I didn’t know exactly what I was shooting for. Now I think it’s one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child – What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something and that’s the end.

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Fri December 21st, 2018, 18:05

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    In My Blood was such a grower.
    True!

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    For me Benjamin Ingrosso out-Shawn Mendes-ed even Shawn Mendes, if you can frame it that way.
    Surprisingly, Swedish music biz has kinda lost it in the last few years (since 2016), and a lot of promising artists fail to transition into something bigger overseas.
    That's a very interesting point of view and there's really something in that, though Shawn really got me in 2018.
    Also, I didn't think of this yet but now that you're mentioning it - true!

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    The Shawn Mendes song is really excellent, pleased to see he made his mark with you!
    I'm not such a big fan of Taki Taki, though to try and deny that it's catchy is very hard,
    The Pink one, I considered charting it, but I literally only knew it was a single because of Wiki, it made no impact here and I really didn't play it this year. It's still a good song though! Ha.
    Glad you're already liking a few!
    It's a shame how P!nk's "Secrets" made no impact at all, I thought it's one of the better songs on the album and deserved some attention :(

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Fri December 21st, 2018, 18:06

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    'Taki Taki' is that bop
    'Secrets' and 'In My Blood' are nice tracks
    It is, but I have to admit I expected much more from that collaboration :(
    Glad you enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    "Secrets" is okay, and "Call Out My Name" isn't awful, though I also forgot about it.

"In My Blood" is the best of the batch - one of Shawn's stronger singles.
    Poor The Weeknd. I really thought 2018 would be yet another huge year for him, weird how fast the hype around that mini album vanished.

Glad you're enjoying that one so much!

by » Fri December 21st, 2018, 18:35

Taki Taki is definitely catchy, but kinda stupid in its lyrics part. Mixed feelings.
    Summer Top 10 - 14.08.2019!

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Fri December 21st, 2018, 18:50

Quote Originally Posted by Top10
    Taki Taki is definitely catchy, but kinda stupid in its lyrics part. Mixed feelings.
    Yeah, good to hear you think similar as me with that one

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Fri December 21st, 2018, 20:09

95. Justin Timberlake feat. Chris Stapleton – Say Something

Listen to "Say Something"

Chartrun: 17-*14*-14-18-19-22-29-Out / 7w
    Certification: -

Very unpopular opinion alert: With “Say Something”, Justin Timberlake has released one of his best tracks ever in 2018 as a single of his latest album “Man Of The Woods”. This may be very repetitive, but both artists really add something to the track and I just love Chris Stapleton’s voice.

94. Charli XCX – 5 In The Morning

Listen to "5 In The Morning"

Chartrun: *5*-8-15-26-23-31-38-35-34-40-Out / 10w

Charli XCX is still waiting for her real breakthrough moment, but 2018 was already a fantastic year for the singer, as “5 In The Morning” is one of eight chart entries on my own charts in that year, though it’s her only entry on the countdown. A good pop song with a strong beat. Should have been a big hit.

93. Michael Schulte – Never Let You Down

Listen to "Never Let You Down"

Chartrun: 26-18-*13*-16-19-24-29-26-Out / 8w

It’s still not very common to see an artist from the Eurovision Song Contest getting a successful follow-up single, and it’s even more rare to see that follow-up being more successful than the ESC entry, but this is what happened to German singer-songwriter Michael Schulte. While his ESC entry “You Let Me Walk Alone” only made it to #336, “Never Let You Down” proved to be a surprising hit and even makes the main countdown. This is very Of Monsters And Men. A shame it flopped in Germany.

92. Billie Eilish – You Should See Me In A Crown

Listen to "You Should See Me In A Crown"

Chartrun: 13-14-*10*-11-18-26-37-Out / 7w

Shooting star Billie Eilish surely can’t be missed on my countdown and “You Should See Me In A Crown” is just the first of two entries for the young talent. This dark, sad, moody pop is nothing new in the game as it became popular over the last few years with artists such as Lana Del Rey or Lorde, but Billie Eilish definitely adds something unique to that. Interestingly, this song never took off compared to other tracks by her, but personally I think it’s one of her bests. As someone who suffers from arachnophobia I hate the single cover and the video a lot though.

91. Taylor Swift – Delicate

Listen to "Delicate"

Chartrun: *4*-10-10-13-20-31-39-Out / 7w

Taylor Swift’s latest single “Delicate” closes this group. Her “Reputation” era was definitely hit and miss when it comes to songs, single releases but also success, with “Delicate” turning out to be a surprising slow burner on the US Chart – rightfully so! This was a highlight of the album from day one on and sounds like it could have fit on “1989” as well.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by » Fri December 21st, 2018, 20:24

'Say Something', '5 In The Morning' and 'Delicate' are nice.

Legend
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

by » Fri December 21st, 2018, 20:32

''5 In the Morning'' is cute.
    Michael's voice in ''Never Let You Down'' is so good, the chorus is a bit cliche, but it's very radio-friendly.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 11:03

It's always good to see P!nk on the Year End Charts. 'Secrets' is good.
    'Delicate' is cute, maybe should have been the third single instead of 'End Game'.

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 11:20

'Say Something', '5 In The Morning' and 'Delicate' are nice.
    Glad you're enjoying these three

''5 In the Morning'' is cute.
    Michael's voice in ''Never Let You Down'' is so good, the chorus is a bit cliche, but it's very radio-friendly.
    So happy to hear that positive feedback for "Never Let You Down"! It's weird how this was a complete flop in Germany, because as you say it's very radio-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    It's always good to see P!nk on the Year End Charts. 'Secrets' is good.
    'Delicate' is cute, maybe should have been the third single instead of 'End Game'.
    True. I'm glad she's still delivering these strong tunes
    That would have been a much better move. I do enjoy "End Game" but I feel like it kinda killed this era.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 19:25

Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
    Charli XCX - 5 In The Morning
    Billie Eilish - You Should See Me In A Crown
    Taylor Swift - Delicate

These are my favourites so far. 'In My Blood' I really love, which I never thought I'd say about a Shawn Mendes song. Billie Eilish has been a real highlight of 2018 for me, can't wait to see what she will do in 2019. And yes, Delicate is a highlight of Taylor's disappointing album - as well as 'Getaway Car'.

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 20:52

90. Lana Del Rey – Venice Bitch

Listen to "Venice Bitch"

Chartrun: *2*-6-7-10-19-40-Out / 6w

It’s already been seven years since Lana Del Rey’s breakthrough and even though she never really changed her sound, her songs still have some kind of magic. “Venice Bitch” was the second single of her upcoming fifth studio album. With a length of 9:36 it’s definitely not mainstream at all and it’s incredible how she’s able to create a track like this and fill out every second beautifully.

89. Within Temptation feat. Anders Fridén – Raise Your Banner

Listen to "Raise Your Banner"

Chartrun: *1*-3-6-11-18-SC / 5w

Four number one songs from the weekly charts missed the countdown completely, and “Raise Your Banner” is now the first one to fall out in the Top100. This served as the second single of the upcoming new album “Resist” which comes out in February. Within Temptation are legends in the symphonic metal genre and while this song is a good one, I still have to say they had many better ones. The single cover is brilliant!

88. Ava Max – Sweet But Psycho

Listen to "Sweet But Psycho"

Chartrun: 22-*13*-16-14-19-26-32-30-31-SC / 9w

Ava Max appeared out of a sudden and it will be interesting to see if she’s here to stay in 2019. “Sweet But Psycho” is her first single and immediately became a worldwide success, topping the charts in several countries. It’s a fun pop song, reminding of the early 00s and also the early days of Lady Gaga’s career. It would be a huge welcome if this is part of a new pop movement.

87. Carrie Underwood feat. Ludacris – The Champion

Listen to "The Champion"

Chartrun: *3*-5-16-24-Out-RE 23-33-27-32-40-Out / 9w

2018 has been a weird year for Carrie. Her last album “Storyteller” made a huge impact on me so I was really looking forward for new music, and she finally delivered some that year. Unfortunately, it’s not as amazing as I was hoping for. This promo track still worked surprisingly fine for the collaboration it is.

86. Beatrice Egli – Verliebt, verlobt, verflixt nochmal

Listen to "Verliebt, verlobt, verflixt nochmal"

Chartrun: 13-*3*-7-16-21-28-33-Out / 7w

This bunch went from alternative to symphonic metal over pop and country and now on to… German Schlager! Beatrice Egli won the tenth season of German Idol back in 2013 and has become the most successful female artist from my country since then, still collecting certifications in Austria and Germany as well. It’s usually not the music I listen to, but “Verliebt, verlobt, verflixt nochmal” was so undeniable catchy that it still made quite an impression on me. One of the bigger guilty pleasures in 2018.

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 20:53

85. Imagine Dragons – Natural

Listen to "Natural"

Chartrun: *6*-7-13-16-23-29-32-Out-RE 33-Out / 8w

With “Natural”, Imagine Dragons finally went back to a rockier sound again. I really like that and it was cool how this turned out to be a huge success in Switzerland.

84. Troye Sivan – My My My!

Listen to "My My My!"

Chartrun: 11-16-26-39-Out-RE 11-*10*-18-25-Out / 8w

Just like Shawn Mendes, Troye Sivan also had his breakthrough moment with me in 2018. Despite liking him since his debut, nothing from him ever really clicked with me until he released his most recent album “Bloom”. “My My My!” served as its lead single and is a great pop tune. His first of two appearances on my list.

83. Nicki Minaj – Chun-Li

Listen to "Chun-Li"

Chartrun: *8*-9-13-35-Out-RE 9-16-33-31-Out / 8w

2018 has been a good year for the ‘Queen of Rap’, as she made an entry on my weekly charts with ten different songs. “Chun-Li” was one of them and came out as one of the first singles of her new album “Queen”. It’s typical Nicki and has lots of cool moments.

82. Nicki Minaj – Ganja Burn

Listen to "Ganja Burn"

Chartrun: *5*-8-19-14-21-26-31-34-35-Out / 9w

…And here’s already Nicki’s second of five appearances on my list (including featurings). “Ganja Burn” is the opener to her album and got a video shortly after the release, which made me very happy as this is clearly one of the highlights on “Queen”. Should have been a big hit for her.

81. RuPaul feat. Aquaria, Asia O’Hara, Eureka & Kameron Michaels – American

Listen to "American"

Chartrun: *2*-4-16-15-17-15-SC / 6w

As mentioned on the Bubbling Under update, RuPaul’s Drag Race made quite an impact on me during 2018, and “American” was the most successful song coming from the latest Pop Culture phenomenon. The track was originally recorded and sung by RuPaul herself, but this remix includes verses by the final four of RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 10: Asia O’Hara, Eureka, my personal favorite Kameron Michaels and winner Aquaria. All of them add some strong lines to it, with Eureka and Kameron having the strongest, while doing a live choreography in the video. Definitely a huge guilty pleasure and I can’t wait to see what the Drag Queens will bring up next.

Legend
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 21:29

89. Within Temptation feat. Anders Fridén – Raise Your Banner - my favourite of the #90-#81 batch, a powerful song, maybe some 5-10 years ago it could have been that one leftfield alternative metal hit in a mainstream chart

Legend
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 22:01

"Say Something" is good - probably among JT's career-best top 20 songs. "Delicate" was a slow burner for me, too. As always, great songwriting from Taylor.

at us both ranking "Venice Bitch" at #90. I have very similar thoughts about it, too! "Sweet but Psycho" is a grower, but I don't hear Lady Gaga when I listen to Ava. Very happy to see some appreciation for "The Champion". I think only a few of us (definitely JakeP as well) appreciated that one.

"My My My!" is fantastic. For me, it's better than anything Shawn's done. Hold on now, I also ranked "Chun-Li" #83. There's some clever songwriting on that one; one thing about Nicki is that she may not be that likeable a person, but you can tell thought goes into her craft, and I appreciate that. "Ganja Burn" has some terrific lines! The entire second verse >>>
    I was ambitious, though I didn’t know exactly what I was shooting for. Now I think it’s one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child – What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something and that’s the end.

by » Sat December 22nd, 2018, 22:27

"Verliebt, verlobt, verflixt nochmal" >>>>>> everything else between #81 and #90. And Beatrice is sooooooo cute in that single cover! It looks like it's from a different world than those other ones (a better world). Now I feel a bit guilty that Beatrice kind of "flopped" for me this year, at least compared to last year in total plays. She'll have around eight or so songs in my top 100 though.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Sun December 23rd, 2018, 08:28

First I thought, another song with beach in the title / reference? then i read it again and saw it says something else 'Venice Bitch' is good, excited for the album.

'Natural' and 'Chun-Li' are amazing!

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

by » Sun December 23rd, 2018, 09:55

90. Lana Del Rey – Venice Bitch
    88. Ava Max – Sweet But Psycho
    87. Carrie Underwood feat. Ludacris – The Champion
    84. Troye Sivan – My My My!
    83. Nicki Minaj – Chun-Li
    81. RuPaul feat. Aquaria, Asia O’Hara, Eureka & Kameron Michaels – American

'Venice Bitch' is great. I love everything Lana releases and this one's no exception.
    'Sweet But Psycho' only clicked with me recently. Good pop song.
    Good to see Carrie and Troye, especially the latter had a good year.
    'Chun-Li' is good. Finally a Nicki Minaj solo song I really like.
    'American' is cute. I like Kameron Michaels on this the best.

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Sun December 23rd, 2018, 13:24

89. Within Temptation feat. Anders Fridén – Raise Your Banner - my favourite of the #90-#81 batch, a powerful song, maybe some 5-10 years ago it could have been that one leftfield alternative metal hit in a mainstream chart
    True, I could imagine that. I still can't believe there was actually a time when songs by Within Temptation or Nightwish made the charts. That's absolutely impossible these days :(

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    "Say Something" is good - probably among JT's career-best top 20 songs. "Delicate" was a slow burner for me, too. As always, great songwriting from Taylor.

at us both ranking "Venice Bitch" at #90. I have very similar thoughts about it, too! "Sweet but Psycho" is a grower, but I don't hear Lady Gaga when I listen to Ava. Very happy to see some appreciation for "The Champion". I think only a few of us (definitely JakeP as well) appreciated that one.

"My My My!" is fantastic. For me, it's better than anything Shawn's done. Hold on now, I also ranked "Chun-Li" #83. There's some clever songwriting on that one; one thing about Nicki is that she may not be that likeable a person, but you can tell thought goes into her craft, and I appreciate that. "Ganja Burn" has some terrific lines! The entire second verse >>>
    Glad we agree on these

Oh - I didn't even recognize that when going through your list. Ah yes, "The Champion" also made Jake's weekly chart, already forgot that she showed some love for Carrie this year as well.

Really? That's a big statement, but I guess Shawn never had a huge hit for you then? YASSS at a second song having the same position on both of our charts It's a shame how many negative headlines Nicki made that year as she actually had a great year when it comes to her music.

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Sun December 23rd, 2018, 13:27

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    "Verliebt, verlobt, verflixt nochmal" >>>>>> everything else between #81 and #90. And Beatrice is sooooooo cute in that single cover! It looks like it's from a different world than those other ones (a better world). Now I feel a bit guilty that Beatrice kind of "flopped" for me this year, at least compared to last year in total plays. She'll have around eight or so songs in my top 100 though.
    Obviously no surprise to me that you're highlighting Beatrice, but I'm still happy you're liking her that much! Not only the single cover, but I just rewatched the video again yesterday and thought she looks so good in that one. Such a beautiful woman! Eight (or so) songs are still a lot, so that's good. Can't wait for your countdown

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    First I thought, another song with beach in the title / reference? then i read it again and saw it says something else 'Venice Bitch' is good, excited for the album.

'Natural' and 'Chun-Li' are amazing!
    I had the same, I think I even posted that in the "Venice Bitch" topic in the Pop forum Glad you're enjoying it, too. I'm also excited for the next album, she's always so solid!

Good to hear you like them

'Venice Bitch' is great. I love everything Lana releases and this one's no exception.
    'Sweet But Psycho' only clicked with me recently. Good pop song.
    Good to see Carrie and Troye, especially the latter had a good year.
    'Chun-Li' is good. Finally a Nicki Minaj solo song I really like.
    'American' is cute. I like Kameron Michaels on this the best.
    Glad you're liking all of these songs!
    Especially happy to see someone also appreciating "American". Such a bop - and YESSS for the Kameron love. I also like her part the most (and she was my fave in the whole season anyway) <3