View Poll Results: What is my No.1 song of 2018?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood

0 0%
  • Chrvches - Get Out

1 7.14%
  • Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato - Solo

4 28.57%
  • George Ezra - Paradise

0 0%
  • Jason Mraz - Have It All

0 0%
  • Kacey Musgraves - High Horse

5 35.71%
  • Kate Nash - Drink About You

1 7.14%
  • Panic! at the Disco - High Hopes

0 0%
  • Shawn Mendes - In My Blood

2 14.29%
  • Sigrid - High Five

0 0%
  • Troye Sivan - Bloom

1 7.14%
  • Zara Larsson - Ruin My Life

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [TOP ARTISTS 2018!]

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by Sat December 29th, 2018, 01:01

058. Jason Mraz - Have It All
    056. Chvrches - Never Say Die

050. Justin Timberlake ft. Chris Stapleton - Say Something
    049. Kylie Minoque - Stop Me From Falling
    045. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
    044. BeBe Rexha - I'm A Mess
    041. MNEK - Correct

So, so happy for Bebe's appearance. "I'm A Mess" was such a surprise hit for me as well, a shame it never really took off for her.
    Also great to see "Say Something" & "In My Blood" in the Top50

Legend
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

by Sat December 29th, 2018, 07:12

050. Justin Timberlake ft. Chris Stapleton - Say Something
    049. Kylie Minoque - Stop Me From Falling
    046. John Mayer - New Light
    045. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
    044. BeBe Rexha - I'm A Mess
    042. Nina Nesbitt - Loyal To
    041. MNEK - Correct

Very strong bunch! Big woo for John Mayer and Bebe here. Two really great songs. I agree with 'I'm A Mess', - I think it's also one of my fave Bebe songs. It's so catchy.
    That MNEK song is a tune.

Legend
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)

by Sat December 29th, 2018, 13:02

If I never hear Say Something again itll be too soon. Talk about overplay.

Good to see a bit of Kylie so high up ahead of Glastonbury! Surprisingly that one just missed out on my top 100.

In My Blood and Loyal To Me both strong tracks.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by Sat December 29th, 2018, 21:02

"I'm A Mess" is amazing!
    "In My Blood" is alright but I feel like Shawn has better tunes!

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Sun December 30th, 2018, 01:44

The 1975 - Give Yourself A Try
    Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
    Nina Nesbitt - Loyal To Me
    MNEK - Correct

Love these 4 tracks. The 1975 have really brought the goods, recently really got into their album! 'In My Blood' is my favourite Shawn Mendes track, must have been awesome to see it performed live.
    I had forgotten about 'Correct', I like that one. And MNEK in general, he's underrated.

Legend
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)

by Sun December 30th, 2018, 11:50

the last batch has nothing I like, and actually some songs I really dislike (I'm a Mess, Say Something, Stop Me From Falling, In My Blood,...)

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Sun December 30th, 2018, 18:59

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    the last batch has nothing I like, and actually some songs I really dislike (I'm a Mess, Say Something, Stop Me From Falling, In My Blood,...)
    Definitely my most successful chart to date

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Mon December 31st, 2018, 00:21

I found it really, really hard from this point on as I wanted all the songs to be higher than they ended up, so much tougher this year. All these songs are amazing

040. Troye Sivan - Bloom

Troye Sivan had a great year in my book and this ode to ..,. opening up your private area was a highlight I like the atmospheric vibe going on from the start but also that it instantly opens as a bit of a toetapper. The chorus is a subtle explosion but the whole time the song walks a really nice line of out and out pop song and a tune with a bit of a moody edge to it. I particularly like the mid-chorus 'so come and baby play me like a love song, every time it comes on, I get the sweet desire' part. Solid bop - but not my number one... and is it even the best thing he produced this year? We'll find out!

039. Fickle Friends - Wake Me Up

The crown in the Fickle Friends jewel of 2018 and the opener to their very solid debut album. It's a perfect opener, honestly, the production is sublime, Natti's vocals are as angelic as ever and it carries on their trademark of being an upbeat, bright, summery shimmery tune with lyrics that are the complete opposite 'we're absolutely failing' she sings in the most stunning falsetto. I love that trait about them, they don't feel the need to match sad lyrics with sad music. The whole track is so brilliantly festival ready with the catchy 'we are, we are, we are, we are yeah' refrain so singalongable. Another very solid year for my fickle friends!

038. Jason Mraz - Unlonely

The return of Mr Mraz and as I said before, he's doing an impeccable job of hitting the sweet spot I love about him most. I fell in love with Jason for his songs where he would fit in hundreds of words into a tiny portion of the song, almost like a rapper with melody, and he does this here over another summery anthem, just this time a bit more chill.
    The vibe on this is oh so right, and impossible not to feel uplifted by, particularly the LOVE la la la parts which are just ready made for radio to eat up. The lyricism is also so clever, with so many mid sentence rhymes and loads of wordplay packed into tiny spaces, I just love it - particularly in the second verse.
    I give you my word although I'm making words up
    Unlonely ain't a word but I don't give a FRUCK
    Cause I'm fresh from the farm where critics can't bother me
    Living is tricky as it is so that ain't stopping me
    You and me we both agree that no one needs the scrutiny
    All we want is peace and love and honestly you ruined me
    With your beautiful smile and your style continuity
    I'd be a fool not to take the opportunity to say
    Hey, we should be homies
    I think we could be bigger than cheese and macaroni
    ... it goes on. It's light, but it's clever, it says something, but it's carefree. It's just such a great tune which I wish could be higher.

037. Kate Nash - Drink About You

Another of my all time musical greats making a return to out and out pop music, I really was a lucky girl this year!
    When Kate said she was back to making pop music, I kinda expected a more Made of Bricks sounds, but this really melds together the pop melodies she is so good at with the more alternative stuff she has done in recent years. The chorus is still loud and brash but with plenty of pop sensibility and a really really catchy outcome.
    Like Jason, I also love the lyrics ('i'm sick and tired of being such a hypocrite, I'm kinda over being over it all, I think I hate yourself, I think I hate me even more'. It's such a delight to hear and see her having fun and MAN when the final chorus kicks in and it's loud and noisy and that drum is crashing over and over and over I just love it. Loud, proud pop and you should give it a go!

036. Ariana Grande - God Is A Woman

I think I am in a massive minority here but EASILY, easily the best thing Ariana released this year for me. I adore the melody of the chorus and I love the bass-heavy broken down verses. It's the vibe of Sweetener but done in an accessible way, especially the word-heavy bridge part which is so catchy. I also love how that part is so at odds with the chorus which is heavenly, stunning and serene.
    Love the message, love how the vocals escalate from start to finish (honestly, those ad libs are some of the best notes shes hit I swear), I LOVE LOVE LOVE the broken down part at the end with the choir and harmonies, it's one of the singular most beautiful bits of song this entire year for me, so so strong. I love a well executed harmony. Divine.

035. Alice Merton - No Roots

This catchy monster really came out of nowhere but such is the strength of a great song that it still found success! It gives me very Adele vibes even though it's nothing like Adele has ever done.. I think I can just imagine her doing a slower version of it? Production is excellent, beats are catchy, particularly in the chorus, love the random guitar that just strums at the halfway point of it, it just all fits impeccably together and sounds like she's been doing this for years. The humming in the background of the second verse.. it's just all layered so well. And the breakdown where the music just goes wild after the middle 8... well, I live. Fantastic debut (?) effort.

034. Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier

I thought this was so so beige when I first heard it, now it's in my year end top 40 What an earworm and what a builder. Verses are classic Bastille, beautiful melody, unmistakable voice but it is the 'then only for a minute' bridge and beautiful string work from Marshmello that escalate this song. What's clever is that they don't just let the 'dance breakdown' be the chorus, they have Bastille come back in and work together with it - I think in some way it stops it from being more generic than it ends up being. They reuse all the best bits of the song, one that the bare bones of could be described as not completely complex but the arrangement of it turns it into really the best version of itself and everything just pops. The chorus breakdown where it builds up again is just glorious. Played this a LOT this year.

033. MK, Jonas Blue & Becky Hill - Back & Forth

Oh goodness.. what a team these guys are. MK and Becky Hill have seen my top thirty end of year chart together before, and they've done it again! Magic teamwork and this time Jonas Blue, himself no stranger to hits, joins in the fun. Has any song ever come out of the gates so strong and fast, it feels like it's already a banger before the first second is even up. Outstanding really. I love the harmony work on this too. Becky Hill's voice is absolutely stunning. Becky Hill in a choir of Becky Hills is even better. This song is such an upbeat stomper BUT the lyrics allude to a ballad in there somewhere and I was so pleased to see Becky do an acoustic version recently, she sounded out of this world. Piano backing on point, just a glorious three and a half minutes of music. Shout out also to Becky's Radio 1 Ibiza anthem that wasn't actually released but should have been, a top year for her.

032. Elena Foureira - Fuego

It's definitely unusual for me to have Eurovision songs so high in my list but I really enjoyed this years contest and this is one that just kept growing and growing on me afterwards. I actually didn't rate it AS much on the night.. I always knew it was good but I didn't know how special until repeated listens. It's, literally, fire. What I think I like best is that the song feels like it's going to a big build with the chorus but before it does the lovely Eastern European sounding musical breakdown there is a moment where it almost stops altogether. I like being tricked like that, and it's great in the club to go from that sexy, sultry slow bit to going mental when it finally does go off. Love it. But is it the highest from the contest?

031. Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor ft. French Montana - Just Got Paid

Well if this isn't just a delight from start to finish... yes even the rap. It's no surprise that Ella sounds completely utterly and wonderfully at home here, 'we go in when we go out' suits her to a tee and her vocal quality shines it's brightest on songs like this. But what I love most is that you have the comparatively sweet vocalled Meghan on the second verse giving another perspective, with a cute layered harmony 'gimme that, gimme that, gimme that' moment.. it might be my fave part of the song because it was unexpected whereas we all know Ella excels on tunes of this nature. I live for the moments where you can hear them singing together and love them being together in the video, would love to hear them together again.
    It's so great when you expect the chorus but then Montana comes in with actually a really catchy rap. Ella picks up the song as it settles to a quiet and brings it home with stunning vocals. And Sigala's production is as ever on fire. Really an absolute score from every participant. Try not to bop and dance to this?!

STILL TO COME?

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by Mon December 31st, 2018, 00:33

037. Kate Nash - Drink About You - actually, I kinda dig what Kate's doing now even more than I used to
    035. Alice Merton - No Roots - a bit 2017, but anyway, this song developed into a sleeper hit and I am glad for it
    032. Elena Foureira - Fuego - good to see a Eurovision entry this high
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)

by Mon December 31st, 2018, 01:10

Back & Forth, Fuego and Just Got Paid - trio of bops there!

No Roots was really good too.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 16:29

040. Troye Sivan - Bloom
    036. Ariana Grande - God Is A Woman
    032. Elena Foureira - Fuego

Three big highlights of 2018 for me as well. "Bloom" didn't click with me when Troye released it as a single but when the album came out I fell in love with it, now it's one of his finest songs for me. "Fuego" is fierce!

While I do love to see "God Is A Woman" being in your Top40 and I also love your commentary for it, it's quite sad to hear this is easily the best thing she has released in 2018 for you, which means it's her highest entry on your list :(

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 18:25

Yeah I'm sorry, I actually do like all of her other single releases this year! Except The Light Is Coming if that counts. But all of them for me are weaker than the singles from the previous two eras, with the exception of GIAW.

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 20:43

"Say Something" is good. The Gente de Zona remix sold me on "Stop Me from Falling". Surprised to see "In My Blood" so low; it was my pick for #1, so oops! I'm so pleasantly surprised to see "Correct"! I love that bit with the other voices, too; it's so diva-ish! I still need to explore his catalogue in greater depth, but "Correct" is far and away my favourite from the MNEK songs I've heard. I got into late, but it'll definitely make my 2019 list.

"Bloom" is lovely. It took a while for me to get into it, but in the end, I (mostly) understood what so many people appreciated about it. Yeah, I pretty much endorse everything you wrote about "Unlonely". You are definitely not in the "massive minority" on "God Is a Woman". It does seem to be a deeply divisive track, with a huge chunk of people (myself included) believing it to be one of Ari's career-best tracks and one of the best songs of the year (if not the absolute best), and another huge chunk just not feeling it's anything special; very few people I've seen really hate it. It seems to either inspire great passion, or great nonchalance, with little to no middle ground. Anyway, I think it's epic, and in a few other years, it would've been my year-end #1. I never got Adele from "No Roots", but now that you mention it, I can definitely hear it. I thought "Happier" was "beige" at first, too. It grew on me as well. "Fuego" is great! "Just Got Paid" is decent, too.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 23:19

Yay, definitely listen to Language start to finish, it's so well produced and cohesive.

030. Lewis Capaldi - Grace

This song didn't even start in my one hundred but I kept hearing it on the radio and it just kept climbing and climbing. I love how it randomly just starts off with the first line of the chorus... but then doesn't elaborate and goes 'nah actually we'll go with the verse'
    His voice is really nice, a deep gravelly tone not dissimilar to James Arthur, and he really makes the most of his range, particularly in the latter half of proceedings. It's a pretty straightforward singer songwriter song but it benefits from beautiful melodies, a wonderful tone and a chorus that feels like it really shoots out of the gates, but keeps getting bigger with the 'your grace' refrain getting gradually higher. When he really let's rip in the middle 8 and the song soars into the final chorus, it's a real moment for me.

029. Martin Garrix ft. Khalid - Ocean

After the success of the very downtempo So Far Away last year, it's probably no surprise that Garrix is back this year with another very subtle slow burner. That said, it was very instant for me, Khalid's voice really shines out, particularly on the falsetto chorus. There's a real sense of atmosphere and the lyrics are believable, I really do feel like Khalid is desperately in love. A meeting of minds between two of my favourite young artists and I think it works really beautifully.

028. James Arthur - You Deserve Better

Don't get me wrong, I love 'Empty Space' and 'Naked' and songs like that, but how this absolute banger didn't get James a chart hit is beyond me. I love when he is playing around and being experimental like her is here. The chorus is straight fire. THAT BASS!!!! It's so funky. And then the chorus PART TWO when he absolutely lets rip is just wonderful, he plays so well with his voice and can just go from restrained to WILD in a matter of seconds - and he does it regularly and to great effect here. The whole affair is just so funky and dare I say it possibly the greatest thing he has ever done. I love how the sound gets fuller as the song progresses too. it's just to die for. In fact I think I put it too low. Whoopsie. Love in the final chorus when there is a layering of his vocal in harmony, it's divine.

027. James Bay - Pink Lemonade

It's been a funny old year for James Bay.. he seemed to fizzle out really quickly after none of his singles really took off. And that surprised me as I enjoyed Wild Love and I LOVED this. From the opening electric guitar strums it has me hooked.. I love how it plays with silence as a juxtaposition to the noisy intro as well, as the guitar drops out for a split second and then returns to grab you back. The verses are so wonderful but it's the chorus and the defiant DONT ASK ME lead in that I really love. It's quite busy but you never lose the chorus melody or the catchy guitars. The middle 8 is impeccably catchy and is the part of the lyrics where the title is introduced. I find quite often that a middle 8 can feel like an afterthought but here it feels like the centrepiece, and it's the icing on the cake when the jaunty chorus returns and James sings catchy ad libs over the top. An indie bop.

026. Saara Aalto - Monsters

I just love Saara Aalto and I am still high key fuming about her position at this years Eurovision Song Contest. True, she got her country there for the first time in years and there were various great girl bops but she deserved so much better for a superb performance. The song is Eurovision personified, it takes you on a real journey. The start with the falsetto is atmospheric and moody but the chorus couldn't be further from that, with pumping beats, catchy backing synths, a powerful vocal and an incredibly catchy 'I ain't scared no more' motif. Highlights include the Halloween-melody in the bridge 'so tonight I'm making friends with all the creatures that are hiding there under my bed' and also when the song breaks down and Saara delivers some beautiful high notes before aboldutely letting rip with 'I ain't scaaaaaaaaaaaared'. An absolute modern classic which deserved more. She's a star.

025. Una Healy - Never See Me Cry

Una made my chart a couple of times last year, once with the excellent 'Battlelines' but this country pop fusion is definitely her best release to date. It's a frantic foot tapper, with many great ensemble motifs, a chorus of 'ooh ooh ooh' setting us off and a catchy 'woaaah' peppered throughout. The verses are catchy, particularly the third line 'it's true you broke into my weakness' and the chorus carries on the trend. It's almost incessant in a way, the pace never really lets up and I love that, 'you'll never see me cry cry cry cry!' she sings out. But it's in the second half of the chorus when she stretches her voice on 'you can see me NAKED' that Una sounds at her glorious best. This is exactly the music Una should be making, I just don't know how she makes a hit out of it. But do yourself a favour and listen,

024. 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood

Everyone knows this one! It's just a pure pop bop and I feel like I was ahead of the curve with loving it so it was great to see it grow and become a monster hit. I love how it goes from quite an innocent verse, to a catchy earworm of a bridge then just getting pure down and dirty in the chorus with layered 'chanted' vocals and even the second part of the chorus has some meat to add to the bone. It's just a really well crafted and executed pop monster and given that they'd had a muted response to what I thought was a great song in Want You Back, I was very pleased to see this really do things for them. It's hard not to be booked on the beat, and it made for a great Tango on this years Strictly. 'You're pushing and pushing, I'm pulling away, pulling away, from you, I give and I give and I give and you take' is a really inspired bridge. Great stuff. But not my number one.

023. Florence & The Machine - Hunger

Miss Flo is very hit and miss with me but when she hits the spot, she hits the spot good, well and proper. And that's what she's done here. She never fails to be interesting but she does sometimes fail to be catchy. No worries here, one of the catchiest records she has ever put her name to. It doesn't necessarily feel like that from the off, it has that kind of miminal feel and a level of kook we have become accustomed to with her but when the first 'we all have a hunger' kicks in and the piano and drums kick off, we are set. I love how she uses her voice in interesting ways, on lines like 'the way you use your body baby' and the unique note patterns she hits are really cool. There's great lyrical content here too, 'I thought that love was a kind of emptiness, and at least I understood then the hunger I felt, and I didn't have to call it loneliness'. I like that. The middle 8 breakdown of choir harmony 'we. all. have. a. hun. ger' is so simple but one of my favourite parts. She struck pop gold with this one but it still retains her individuality.

022. Niall Horan - On The Loose

WHY WAS THIS NOT A HIT. Niall gave it to us here on a plate. I am loving the Irisih and their country-pop crossovers this year, I love the production from very literally the first second, I love the laid back vibe of the whole thing, I love Niall's GORGEOUS vocals on it, I actually also love that the chorus comes around super quickly and the whole song is just incredibly simple. Why make it complex when all your component parts are absolutely working. The chorus is so catchy as well ('she LOVES!'), particularly the second part 'she loves the way fall back when she says that she LOVES nobody else by you' and even more particularly the second time around when the music around it drops out. The middle 8 really lets Niall shine vocally, I honestly think he sounds stunning and this sound suits him to an absolute tee. Mature music beyond his years, I love it. Reminds me of One Direction's 'What A Feeling' which is pretty much their best, too.

021. Sigrid - Sucker Punch

A great year for the Sound Of winner Sigrid, who has released so many great, interesting pop singles. I like that she has such an idea of her sound and how to be different at such a young age. The verses are wonderful, with some breakdown moments where she just talks, but the chorus is where she really shines as the whole thing explodes. I love, like Florence, when just mid sentence she will just resort to a high note, maybe even for only half a word. It just helps stop the whole thing from every being generic and never sounds forced. She spends the whole song singing Sucker Punch in falsetto so when the middle 8 comes around and she delivers it with the whole weight of her voice it's a really great choice. She really knows her way around music and I fully love her. But will we see her again?

STILL TO COME?

[/quote]

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 23:24

030. Lewis Capaldi - Grace

The music video amplified the song for me so much.

Nice to see some pop/rock and guitar-driven songs charting pretty high.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Thu January 3rd, 2019, 02:10

Ariana Grande - God is a woman
    MK / Becky Hill - Back & Forth
    Lewis Capaldi - Grace
    Martin Garrix / Khalid - Ocean
    Sigrid - Sucker Punch

Love all of the above. A few may be doing very well on my own list. I love how Becky Hill keeps coming with the bops. That Lewis Capaldi song has really grown on me as well. The Sigrid song is a great pop song, the chorus gives me 'Here Standing' vibes by The Saturdays

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by Thu January 3rd, 2019, 04:09

"Ocean" is beautiful indeed. Glad you mentioned Khalid's falsetto chorus, as that's the clear highlight for me, too. "Monsters" definitely deserved more - at the very least a top 3 finish! "Youngblood" has a fantastic chorus. I loved the lyrics of "Hunger" and there are definitely great vocal moments, but the song falls flat for me, as did the whole era from Florence this time 'round. Shame as I had high expectations. :( "On the Loose" is great - it was an early standout when I played the LP in 2017, and I still like it now.

Legend
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

by Thu January 3rd, 2019, 10:36

Yay for 'Hunger' and 'On The Loose'. The latter deserved so much more. Such a good song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by Thu January 3rd, 2019, 15:02

029. Martin Garrix ft. Khalid - Ocean
    026. Saara Aalto - Monsters
    024. 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood
    023. Florence & The Machine - Hunger
    022. Niall Horan - On The Loose
    021. Sigrid - Sucker Punch

Love that Saara Aalto praise. As you say, it's good that she reached the Finale for Finland again, but I thought she'd be Top10 for sure
    "Youngblood" was the first time a song by 5SOS got me, catchy and good track.
    The others are really good, too, especially "Ocean" and "On The Loose". "Sucker Punch" is a good pop bop and my second favorite song from Sigrid

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Fri January 4th, 2019, 20:33

Thanks you guys! We are about to enter a territory of BRILLIANT... BUT LESSER KNOWN tunes and artists.

020. Betty Who - Taste

Did Ed Sheeran have any part in this? It sounds a bit like him on the backing 'aaah' moments.. either way, it's a bop. A sexy, slinky pop number that is a really interesting listen. Betty proves she can belt later in the song which makes the decision on the verse delivery, restrained and sensual, all the more interesting. It has quite a minimalist approach to the verse and the bridge with far more of a kitchen sink idea in the big pop chorus. There's a lot of interesting backing music, like tongues and innovative things! I love the falsetto on the title line and the final line of the chorus 'the worse they are.. the better they taste!'. Cheeky, awesome pop fun whose sound seems to get fuller and fuller as we go on!

019. Troye Sivan - My My My!

Troye came back with this year with a massive bang, an atmospheric pop stomper. It's one of those songs that can entirely take over and you can find yourself getting lost in the music, the sound is big and all encompassing and I love that. Troye also never really does straight down the line pop songs, there's always what I call an indie sensibility to them which marks them out as immediately his. The chorus is just so powerful and well produced. He'll never have the best vocal of all time but he still turns out some of the best tunes. Production on point and using Troye's voice to it's moodiest, sexiest best.

018. Becky Hill - Sunrise In The East

Speaking of sexy voices, the deep rasp of Becky Hill finds its way onto my top 20 with her solo singer proper. The verses are sultry and simple but it's the chorus that gets me. Still subtle but with beautiful melody and Becky finally getting to let her vocal fly over some eastern influenced instrumental, it's a real moment for me. I especially think it's beautiful when she breaks it down and does the chorus in her deep voice for a moment before putting it back up to the higher octave over the same minimised backing. Really gorgeous and yet another shoulda been a hit,

017. Grace Carter - Why Her, Not Me

This is emotional from the opening piano chords, and gorgeous from the off too. Grace's deep voice is just stunning from the first moment and shows great range from verse to chorus. The chorus itself has the most beautiful melody and captured me and made me look at who I was listening to the first time I heard it. Similarly to Becky, my favourite part is when the song all slows and she sings 'why her, not me' in her deepest voice before letting rip with her vocals , the contrast is gorgeous, I'd like it even more if she did a full chorus or even half in the deeper voice, but beggars can't be choosers. I think I read somewhere it was about another woman in her Dad's life which is not a perspective I considered but makes you think about songs with different meanings to how you interpret them!

016. Liv Dawson - Talk

I wouldnt be surprised if this was amongst my most frequently played songs of 2018, I rinsed it, from early on in the year and I am STILL not bored of it. It reminds me of the Betty song in many ways, in that it is quite delicate in the verses and then really takes flight in the chorus... also it uses tongue pops as instrumentation.. probably my favourite musical technique to be honest! The chorus is unbelievably catchy, particularly the line 'it ain't right that your hands are on her body, place those hands on me' - one of those pop gold nugget lines which really works, particularly when followed by a series of melodic tongue pops Liv sounds divine in the falsetto portions of this song ('why you with her, is it cause you don't want to be lonely') and out of nowhere produced one of my favourite pop bops this year.

015. The Chainsmokers ft. Emily Warren - Side Effects

A better known one potentially now but also not one that was subject to overplay thankfully. This feels to be like this incredibly amazing but complex pop puzzle... there are so many parts to this song and they are all such excellent component pieces that fit together so well.. like, how could you not like it? I feel like even the production in the opening seconds sets a mood somehow. The verses are straight in there, very competent and catchy.. the bridge slows things down and strikes a contrast and then things fire up again for an absolute BANGER of a chorus. And verse and bridge and chorus, and that's it right? That's a song? WRONG. Second time around we get this incredible after-chorus which hits with a bang ' oooh, I think about it all the time...' it just hits so hard and is so catchy. Lucky us. But it's not done.. then we are treated to a BROKEN DOWN SPOKEN WORD CATCHY MONSTER OF A MIDDLE EIGHT. And then we get a chorus that is completely broken down with a switched up melody and the exploration of a Emily's voice, before everything crashes back in and we get all those glorious parts, in full force, again. SOMETIMES OVER ONE ANOTHER. it's like expecting one great Christmas present and getting 17. BOP.

014. Jax Jones ft. Years & Years - Play

By far the most recent song on the list and I'm always wary of doing this in case they tire (fortunately placing 'Then' by Anne Marie so high last year was justified, I still adore it now) but I'm going for it. This is a big big bop. It's not in any way flashy, it's doesn't even REALLY go anywhere but it's so self assured in how cool it is and how wonderful the melody is that it's is basically like 'screw you. I don't need to'. I like the bleepy bloopy production of it, and casting Olly on a subtle laid back song was a great choice as he doesn't have a huge voice anyway. The bridge 'diving into your ocean a brand new emotion come true' is a catchy little hook and the melody of the chorus itself is such a satisfying ear worm. I dunno there's just something about the 'play me the song / make me belong' rhyme and it being so quick in succession that makes me love it. Funny how in songs there can be some bits you die for that when you try to explain, are nothing particularly special but strike a chord with you, right? Love it.

013. Everything Everything - Breadwinner

This song is just a RIDE! It has big regal moments, it has manic frenetic moments and is about as mad as a box of frogs, honestly... but such is it's appeal. The verses are so insanely catchy and delivered in falsetto at about three hundred words a minute over a catchy and deep piano refrain. The bridge where the drum kicks in is powerful and indeed ends with the repeated 'POWER POWER POWER POWER POWER' before the chorus just lets rip and the music bursts forward over a very simple refrain but man it's catchy. It's completely mental in all the best ways, upbeat Everything Everything never fails to impress me even when I don't know what they are talking about, the melodies are usually enough to grab me in and take me on that ride with them!

012. Matt Terry - Try

If you look up unfairly maligned and underrated in the dictionary, you'll see an image of Matt Terry's triumphant debut album. It really is full of bops and this is the greatest one of all. He's a gorgeous singer, we know this, but he tended to belt out ballads on the. X Factor, not straight up fire pop stompers like this. The verses are catchy, speedy and well sung before Matt's signature falsetto sings out the title word, at odds with his belting out the rest of it. But it's the chorus that is the crown jewel. In something that appears to be a fetish for me, I really love it when he sings the chorus once in his lower register, before the drums crash in BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM and he repeats it in his higher register. Ugh, just gold. It's so catchy too with an additional HEY NANANA chant refrain that just adds to the excitement. Some big shrieking falsetto notes later, as he doesn't do a song without them, and we've honestly got an absolute pop juggernaut on our hands. What's even more impressive is there's a video where he dances to this and he is straight FIRE at it, so good. And he looks so hot. I love it.

011. Astrid S - Emotion

Just missing out on top ten is a song that starts, like Matt, with a whistle. But in fact this time it's a big part of the song, acting as the post chorus, being one of the most catchy parts and actually adding quite a lot of gravitas to proceedings. Her voice is delicate and beautiful but it doesn't ever need to be any bigger to sell her good, it floats perfectly on top. This is another tune with fantastic component parts. Admittedly less than Side Effects, but the chorus and the whistling and the deep production all blend together so fantastically to make a real sweeping, powerful pop and and things are made even better when a post chorus is added the second time around. I could probably listen to this song if it was just the instrumental with the whistling but with Astrids gorgeous voice and the fantastic chorus melody and falsetto, things are even sweeter.

STILL TO COME?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by Fri January 4th, 2019, 21:43

It was my first time hearing those particular Una Healy and Florence & The Machine tracks and I liked both, particularly Hunger. I added them!

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by Sat January 5th, 2019, 01:45

I agree with most of what you said about "My My My!". You bring up a good point about most of his pre-Bloom stuff having more of an indie-pop sound, whereas this era he's gone for the jugular with more straightforward pure pop stuff.

I wanted to include "Play", but it came late for me, so I've decided to hold off 'til the 2019 countdown. I totally get what you mean about songs having little quirks and nuances that do so much for you, but can be difficult to quantify/defend/explain.

Legend
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

by Sat January 5th, 2019, 09:55

019. Troye Sivan - My My My!
    015. The Chainsmokers ft. Emily Warren - Side Effects
    011. Astrid S - Emotion

I like these from the latest group! (I'm also familiar with "Play" but shockingly it did nothing on me at all )
    Love that unexpected big entry for Astrid S. I really thought she would have the career Zara Larsson has now. Great pop singer with "Emotion" being yet another great tune from her.

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by Sat January 5th, 2019, 13:05

013. Everything Everything - Breadwinner - that's one hell of a song in the best possible sense