View Poll Results: What is my No.1 song of 2018?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood

0 0%
  • Chrvches - Get Out

1 7.14%
  • Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato - Solo

4 28.57%
  • George Ezra - Paradise

0 0%
  • Jason Mraz - Have It All

0 0%
  • Kacey Musgraves - High Horse

5 35.71%
  • Kate Nash - Drink About You

1 7.14%
  • Panic! at the Disco - High Hopes

0 0%
  • Shawn Mendes - In My Blood

2 14.29%
  • Sigrid - High Five

0 0%
  • Troye Sivan - Bloom

1 7.14%
  • Zara Larsson - Ruin My Life

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Adam's Top 100 of 2018! [TOP ARTISTS 2018!]

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by Tue January 15th, 2019, 19:18

High Hopes is a great song, I thought the single before it was just OK but this was an obvious smash. Brendons voice can sometimes verge on yelling but Ill let him off because, that face.

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by Wed January 16th, 2019, 20:23

So I just started to copy the albums that I like from your list and realized I like 15 of them I'm not familiar with your #10, #9, #5, #3 and #2, the rest is really awesome! Saara is a nice #1, good pop album for sure.
    I probably should check out Panic! At The Disco's album, I'm thinking about doing so for months now

Speaking of Panic!...

003. Panic! at the Disco - High Hopes

Good start for the Top3, but somehow I never ended up downloading this or adding it to my library. No idea. I liked it when I checked it out on YouTube and had another positive listen in another situation, but somehow I was so busy with other releases that this never really happened for me. So yeah, I'm having a weird relationship to this song somehow. Happy this is such a huge success though, I always liked Panic! and Brendon is just <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by Fri January 18th, 2019, 02:35

"High Hopes" is good indeed! I think I got into it late in the year, so it never really had much time to grow on me.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Fri January 18th, 2019, 13:43

Let's do this then!

002. Kacey Musgraves - High Horse

There has never been a Kacey Musgraves song in my chart before so she absolutely STORMS it this year with a debut hit that really could have been a year end number one, it was seriously considered.
    WHAT. A. SONG.
    From the subtle, chilled opening with the titular lines accompanying guitar riff, it is just a stunning piece of art. I love that opening and the melody of that riff (not even yet at full volume) paired with the 'ooh ooh' vocals. And a John Wayne shout out in the opening line does it for me for sure. You can tell it's very much a country record but it's not so 'yeehaw' that it's inaccessible (speaking as someone from a country where that kind of music isn't really a thing) - it's very much a country pop crossover. The verse is lovely and I adore the bridge both melodically and lyrically but I think the 'I think we've seen enough/seen enough' and 'giddy up/giddy up' parts are glorious, over both a funky beat AND sweeping classical style instruments. It's all so gorgeous. And giddy up is an underused lyric. The icing on the cake has to be the gorgeous falsetto melodic note progression of 'hiiiiiiiiigh horse' though... stun.
    Her voice is really easy listening and at times just beautiful. The song manages to sound like a complete banger while in reality it's so so chill. She basically is savage at a glacial pace, like she doesn't need to go all guns blazing.
    The final bridge/chorus over just the drum backing with the GLORIOUS harmonies is a moment and I live for the outro - with some banjo in the background - it's like it gets even more chill and i kind of imagine that is him taking the hint and giddying away. I just love this song. But it's not quite number one, despite being the most popular choice in some VERY close guesses!

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Fri January 18th, 2019, 13:45

YOU'RE A WINNER, BABY!

001. Sigrid - High Five

None of you picked it, but my number one of 2018 is the wonderful Sigrid with her single 'High Five' from the Raw EP. Yes, ALL THREE top songs have High in them! And that's not me just trying to make it happen that way, genuinely these three songs have been fighting out for the top spot for months. And honestly, any of them could have taken it. I'm feeling High.

I love that this song enters so quietly with such a restrained vocal and just a few bloops and drum beats but turns into such a monster. Her vocal is lovely especially on the 'just stay quieeeeet... ohhhh' moment which leads to the first chorus. It's so delicate and gorgeous. That whole first chorus being so small in sound and high in register is beautiful to me. But you can hear the backing getting louder and louder and you know something is about to happen. I adore the juxtaposition of the chorus repeated immediately with the CRASH into life and her singing the same thing in her chest voice. It shows real progression and we're like, 40 seconds in.
    I love the little background production moments and shouts ('HEY!'). I love the lyrical content too, about surrounding yourself with 'yes men' and wondering why nobody is really there for you when you want or need them. 'And you wonder why, wonder why, no-one's by your side, by your side, when the room goes quiet'
    That's one of my favourite bits, the contrast between the first 'quiet' (which IS quiet) and the second and third times she sings it when she's BELTING it with some force. This song is a JOURNEY.
    The final chorus is just a full on eargasm, the song is at it's loudest, all the layers are together, HARMONIES in the background, a kind of choir effect, it's just busy busy busy in the best way, a total 0 to 100 moment. Turn this song up loud and try not to let it take you to church.
    Sigrid is a real exceptional talent with a knack for writing catchy but non linear and interesting pop music and I'm so glad she came to town. This girl takes the title for 2018. My number one...

SORRY GEORGE, not this year

Legend
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

by Fri January 18th, 2019, 14:04

''High Five'' is nice, it is quite in the vein of other Sigrid singles.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Fri January 18th, 2019, 20:41

'High Horse' is a bop, definitely made me pay attention to Kacey Musgraves which I'm so grateful for!

Just listened to that Sigrid song for the first time. It's good, but does feel to me like a lesser version of 'Don't Kill My Vibe' and 'Plot Twist' which are still my favourite of her songs.

Legend
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)

by Fri January 18th, 2019, 20:50

Yay for High Horse! Great country-pop song, I wish she'd promoted it more and really used it as her big cross-over hit.

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by Fri January 18th, 2019, 21:38

Shocked at that being #1, its just average for me!

High Horse meanwhile would be fully deserved, what a delight.

So did In My Blood not even feature in the end?! Thought youd be all over that one.

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by Mon January 21st, 2019, 20:46

002. Kacey Musgraves - High Horse
    001. Sigrid - High Five

Interesting how all of the Top3 start with 'high'

Good Top2. I enjoy "High Horse" a lot, definitely my favorite song of Kacey's album. "High Five" was cute, also one of her better songs to date.

Great countdown overall!

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Mon January 21st, 2019, 23:16

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Shocked at that being #1, its just average for me!

High Horse meanwhile would be fully deserved, what a delight.

So did In My Blood not even feature in the end?! Thought youd be all over that one.
    Get out.

Shawn was at, like, 45?

Thanks for comments all! Top Artists chart closes us out tomorrow!

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by Wed January 23rd, 2019, 02:10

I'm pleasantly surprised you're that passionate about "High Horse". I think it's a fantastic song as well, uber relatable, and so hit-ready. Shame the GP didn't embrace it.

I'm not impressed with your #1, but I may revisit it at some point.

Overall, decent list this year. My favourite chunk of the countdown was 40-31.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Wed January 23rd, 2019, 23:38

My top 20 artists of 2018.

020. BECKY HILL

019. TAYLOR SWIFT

018. JAMES BAY

017. NIALL HORAN

016. JASON MRAZ

015. NINA NESBITT

014. CAMILA CABELLO

013. CHVRCHES

012. ELLA EYRE

011. SIGRID

010. KATE NASH

009. SHAWN MENDES

008. CALUM SCOTT

007. MNEK

006. YEARS & YEARS

005. TROYE SIVAN

004. ALEC BENJAMIN

003. FICKLE FRIENDS

002. SAARA AALTO

001. PANIC! AT THE DISCO

Absolutely zero surprises based on my album chart countdown but here we are. My top 20 acts of 2018. I had the privilege to see half of them (Panic!, Saara, Fickle Friends, MNEK, Shawn, Ella, Camila, Niall, James & Taylor) They've all released great singles, some have put out epic albums and they've all been part of probably the best year of music for me in quite some time. Also, 5 of my top ten artists are openly LGBT, maybe even six. I love that, too.. Thanks, guys!

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by Thu January 24th, 2019, 03:49

Lovely LGBT run from 5-8. Y&Y waved the rainbow flag highest for me in 2018, but I'm definitely going to give MNEK the respect due to him in 2019. Big year for Troye as well.

Not a bad artists list, though excluding Ariana is a pretty sizeable omission!

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)