• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UKMusicLova
    Legend
    • 05 Sep 2006

UKMusicLova's Hot 100 2018 (3-1)

[center:2o92p8jp][/center:2o92p8jp]

[center:2o92p8jp]Will be presenting my annual Hot 100 songs of the year - as always, the above songs are potential chart toppers (hopefully - I haven't actually started compiling yet ).
    2018 has been a wonderful year, both in my life and in terms of music![/center:2o92p8jp]
  • JSparksFan
    Moderator and Site Supporter
    • 24 Jul 2009

Re: UKMusicLova's Hot 100 2018

Great to hear 2018 was a wonderful year for you!

I think I'll go with "God Is a Woman" in the poll!
    Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [#7]
    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Beautiful Things
    AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. The Libertines]
    Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Katy Perry vs. No Doubt]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• UKMusicLova
      Legend
      • 05 Sep 2006

I'll start my list with my top albums of the year. I've listened to a lot of music this year, here are some of the albums I've liked but just missed out on my top 20:

[center:22tyht48]

AMY SHARK : LOVE MONSTER | ANDERSON .PAAK : OXNARD | BLOOD ORANGE : NEGRO SWAN | CHLOE X HALLE : THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT | DMAS : FOR NOW | DRAKE : SCORPION | ELLA MAI : ELLA MAI | ESTELLE : LOVERS ROCK | LADY GAGA + BRADLEY COOPER : A STAR IS BORN | MAC MILLER : SWIMMING| NICKI MINAJ : QUEEN | RAY BLK : EMPRESS | SABRINA CLAUDIO : NO RAIN NO FLOWERS | TINASHE : JOYRIDE | TOM GRENNAN : LIGHTING MATCHES | TONI BRAXTON : SEX AND CIGARETTES | TRAVIS SCOTT : ASTROWORLD[/center:22tyht48]

Comment

• UKMusicLova
        Legend
        • 05 Sep 2006

20-11:

[center:3bybswqj]
        20. NONAME : ROOM 25
        Top tracks: Blaxploitation, Ace, Window

19. THE INTERNET : HIVE MIND
        Top tracks: Hold On, La Di Da, Mood

18. PUSHA T : DAYTONA
        Top tracks: If You Know You Know, The Games We Play, Come Back Baby

17. JORJA SMITH : LOST & FOUND
        Top tracks: Blue Lights, Where Did I Go, Wandering Romance

16. MARIAH CAREY : CAUTION
        Top tracks: A No No, The Distance, Giving Me Life

15. CARDI B : INVASION OF PRIVACY
        Top tracks: Be Careful, I Like It, I Do

14. YEARS & YEARS : PALO SANTO
        Top tracks: Sanctify, Rendezvous, Palo Santo

13. TASH SULTANA : FLOW STATE
        Top tracks: Cigarettes, Free Mind, Salvation

12. LILY ALLEN : NO SHAME
        Top tracks: Trigger Bang, What You Waiting For?, Cake

11. THE CARTERS : EVERYTHING IS LOVE
        Top tracks: Summer, Apeshit, Heard About Us[/center:3bybswqj]

Comment

• UKMusicLova
          Legend
          • 05 Sep 2006

10-6:

[center:am5ctoup]
          10. NAO | SATURN
          Top tracks: If You Ever, Orbit, Curiosity

One of the UK's most underrated singers, Nao followed up her critically acclaimed debut album with high expectations and she did not disappoint. She continues pushing the boundaries of R&B and soul music, but this time dabbles in more radio friendly material such as 'Drive and Disconnect' and 'If You Ever'. The standout track, 'Orbit', is one of my favourite songs of the year. A beautiful take of her past meeting her future, with her ex lover releasing her into orbit but still being able to gravitate to her new love.

9. TOM MISCH | GEOGRAPHY
          Top tracks: Lost In Paris, Disco Yes, Water Baby

Stellar debut album from South London based Jazz musician, Tom Misch. It perfectly marries together the sounds of jazz, hip-hop and electronica, bringing together some exciting combinations. The album has some instrumental tracks, which is what Tom is known for, but he also shows that he can put pop sensibilities into his music without losing his sound. Standout track 'Water Baby' featuring, is a perfect example of that. This guy has potential to become one of the UK's big producers moving into 2019.

8. ROBYN | HONEY
          Top tracks: Missing U, Honey, Ever Again

It's been a long 8 years since Robyn released her last album, but it's as if she's never been away with the release of this incredible pop heartbreak album. Nobody can throw heartache onto the dance floor like Robyn does. Album opener 'Missing U' definitely reminds you of Robyn's huge hits like Dancing On My Own, but the album shows a lot of variety of sounds. 'Honey' is one of the sexiest songs of the year, and an album highlight for me.

7. KACEY MUSGRAVES | GOLDEN HOUR
          Top tracks: Slow Burn, High Horse

I must admit, it took me ages to check out this album. I don't tend to delve into country music that much, I tend to like it, but never anything I get too involved with. However after seeing the rave reviews, I decided to see what the fuss was about and was so impressed. The songwriting is impeccable, album opener 'Slow Burn' really helped me through some things this year. I think I'm at the age where I wonder why certain things haven't yet happened in my life, but I'm alright with a slow burn now!

6. TEYANA TAYLOR | K.T.S.E.
          Top tracks: Gonna Love Me, Issues/Hold On, Rose In Harlem

One of the albums released within Kanye's Wyoming sessions, this was the long anticipated debut album on Good Music for Teyana Taylor. She delivered one of the best R&B albums of the year. I love her rich, warm tone on the stripped back songs like 'Gonna Love Me', and 'Rose In Harlem' is the closest you'll hear of old Kanye West style productions in 2018. I know that Teyana was upset by the rollout of the album, and that some of the edits she only heard for the first time once the album had been released. I share some of her disappointment, as this could have been her 'CTRL' with a proper release rollout. But hope she's proud of the album, as it shows a lot of potential for her.[/center:am5ctoup]

Comment

• king_oxymoron
            Legend
            • 04 Apr 2003

Hey Carly! Good to hear you had such a good year and enjoyed lots of music,

I haven't listened to too many of the albums you put here. I know I need to listen to the Kacey one properly as everyone raved about it. I did check out Years and Years and Lily's efforts, both are good, I prefer the former. For me Up In Flames is the banger though. Come on Then and What You Waiting For are my bops on the latter.

I think I need to spend more time with Honey, it was quite divisive for me.

Voted for Janelle.
            Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

• urbanmusik
              Site Supporter
              • 15 Sep 2006

Some major good songs in the poll. Voted for Lily since I saw her live last week and she was incredible.

Great list of albums so far. The albums from The Carters, Robyn, Teyana Taylor, Lily Allen, RAY BLK, Pusha T, The Internet, Noname, Blood Orange, Travis Scott & Tinashe are among my favourites of the year. Also enjoyed Nao, Kacey Musgraves, Kanye West, J. Cole, Mariah, Years & Years, Cardi B, Jorja Smith, Anderson.Paak, Nicki Minaj, Ella Mai, Chloe x Halle & Drake as well....so basically everything.

Enjoyed the write ups too.
              late.

Comment

• Carbon
                Legend
                • 19 Jul 2013

Re: UKMusicLova's Hot 100 2018 (Albums 20-6)

love the Lily, Robyn and Kacey albums + currently listening to Jorja Smith, not sure yet how I feel about it

Comment

• Thriller
                  Administrator
                  • 13 Dec 2003

I need to listen to NAO and Kacey desperately!

Comment

• Erotica
                    Legend
                    • 15 Mar 2014

I like Caution, Honey and Palo Santo.

Comment

• JSparksFan
                      • 24 Jul 2009

A Star Is Born, Queen, and Sex & Cigarettes are the big losses from the missed set. Scorpion was better than I expected.

I definitely wouldn't list "The Distance" and "A No No" among the best Caution moments, but "Giving Me Life" is gorgeous! Invasion of Privacy was a solid first effort from someone who's clearly going to be around for more than 15 seconds. Palo Santo was a bit of a revelation LP for me as far as Y&Y are concerned. Everything Is Love is sub-par. There really isn't a song on the album that I really like.

"Orbit" is a nice song, but I didn't listen to the whole album. I think I remember listening to the full Robyn album, and only liking one song. Golden Hour is a great album. In much the same way you connected with "Slow Burn", "Happy & Sad" felt like she stole a page out of my journal. "Rose in Harlem" is a song I randomly checked out from Teyana's album about a week ago, and thought it was rather solid.

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• Blondini
                        Site Supporter
                        • 01 Nov 2005

Voted Billie.

Kacey's album is good and love Slow Burn.

Robyn's is OK but not up to her best. But then her album history is rather patchy.

Comment

• Tansike
                          Site Supporter
                          • 28 Jan 2012

I went with "God Is A Woman" in the poll as it's my favorite one from the options.

From the albums, I know/like/love...

16. MARIAH CAREY : CAUTION
                          15. CARDI B : INVASION OF PRIVACY
                          14. YEARS & YEARS : PALO SANTO
                          12. LILY ALLEN : NO SHAME
                          11. THE CARTERS : EVERYTHING IS LOVE
                          8. ROBYN | HONEY
                          7. KACEY MUSGRAVES | GOLDEN HOUR

Cardi B, Years & Years and Kacey also made a big impression on me this year. Their albums are all great, which was unexpected as I wasn't the biggest fan of Years & Years' debut, I'm not really a rap fan and I never checked out Kacey previously But so glad I checked all these out and they really turned out to be amazing.

Mariah's album is quite good, was actually my first proper album from her. As for Robyn and Lily, they're solid but both left me disappointed.

Comment

• luckyONE
                            Superstar
                            • 07 Feb 2012

'NO SHAME' was a cute album, but it never really grew that much on me. It's not bad and my favorite songs are 'Apples', 'Family Man' and 'What You Waiting For'.

Comment

• UKMusicLova
                              Legend
                              • 05 Sep 2006

Thank you all for the lovely comments, always enjoy reading what you guys think about music I love!
                              After a few days break, better plough on!

Comment

• UKMusicLova
                                Legend
                                • 05 Sep 2006

5-1:

[center:1bhayvr0]
                                5. KALI UCHIS | ISOLATION
                                Top tracks: Miami, Dead To Me, After The Storm

Kali Uchis' long anticipated debut album was released this year, and it definitely del-i-vered. I love the hazy, dream-like R&B production that runs through the album. It perfectly complements Kali's smokey, old school voice. Sonically the album almost sounds saccharine, but I love that juxtoposition when put next to the often rather bleak and blunt songwriting (i.e. 'Tomorrow' is about a girl being forced into sex work by her father). I am so excited for what Kali Uchis will do next, she is an artist that has incredible music and her image is so cool as well!

4. CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS | CHRIS
                                Top tracks: The Walker, 5 Dollars, Les Yeux Mouillés

Héloïse Letissier's second album continued the synth-y pop vibe of her debut album, but this time comes across much more assured and confident. The album perfectly incapsulates her fluidity in sex, gender and her outlook on love in general. I love how she has again done an English version, and also a French version. I like that you can choose which songs you prefer in English and which you prefer in French. I so far really like how she is looking to reinvent herself and her mark on pop music is an important one!

3. ROSALÍA | EL MAL QUERER
                                Top tracks: Malamente, Pienso En Tu Mirá, Bagdad

This may possibly be my favourite non-English album of all time, I was actually considering having it as my #1 at one point. Rosalía is a Catalan singer, who takes influences from pop, R&B and traditional flamenco music, and mashes them up to create this confident and awesome album. She has so many fans now, with Dua Lipa, Rita Ora and Pharrell Williams all raving about her. She's a big star in Spain, I believe, and it's only a matter of time before she hits it big internationally. The production is pretty sparse, but you can hear those traditional Flamenco sounds throughout - even on the more pop/R&B numbers like 'Pienso En Tu Mirá' and 'Bagdad'. She is also a super visual artist, her music videos are soooo good. I love her so much. Please check out this album, if you haven't already.

2. JANELLE MONAE | DIRTY COMPUTER
                                Top tracks: Crazy Classic Life, Screwed, Make Me Feel

"I am not America's nightmare, I am the American Dream". This statement sort of summarises what 'Dirty Computer' is all about. A "Dirty Computer" is someone who is a bit of a misfit, doesn't fit into society conforms. This album is for all of those who have felt like they had to hide rather than be themselves. It's a celebration. Janelle herself has put aside her R&B Android persona, Cindi Mayweather, and is being unapologetically Janelle Monae throughout this project - a proud queen black woman. You can influences from musical greats, such as Prince and Madonna, but Janelle ensures it's a homage never a copy. It's a wonderful project, a celebration of protest against our oppressors. Such an important album in today's political environment.

1. ARIANA GRANDE | SWEETENER
                                Top tracks: God is a woman, no tears left to cry, better off

My favourite album of the year, from my favourite artist of the year - Ariana Grande. 'Sweetener' is just such a great album, I've listened to it so many times, and still not bored of any of the songs. She's had a tough year and a half, but through it she has released such a wonderful album. She sounds better than ever, the production is so slick, and lyrically she is giving us everything. From the inspiring lead single, No Tears Left To Cry, to songs about the breakdown of her relationship, the start of a new relationship, battles with anxiety - the album really encapsulates the emotions of a young woman. One who has been through some really tough times. I am so excited for her next album, 'thank u, next' - I genuinely believe it will be even better than 'Sweetener' - a magnum opus.[/center:1bhayvr0]

Comment

• Tansike
                                  Site Supporter
                                  • 28 Jan 2012

4. CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS | CHRIS
                                  2. JANELLE MONAE | DIRTY COMPUTER

Two solid albums. I have to admit I didn't check out both artists previously, so these albums were the first ones for me. Probably the reason why they're 'just' solid to me. Glad the latter got nominated for Album Of The Year on the Grammys though.

1. ARIANA GRANDE | SWEETENER

Brilliant #1! I guess me changing the avatar to Ariana around ten minutes ago and listening to "Sweetener" right now as i'm typing this says a lot 2018 has been a fantastic year for Ariana and "Sweetener" has become my favorite album from her so far, even though the others are strong as well. It's just so cohesive as a whole and the standouts are so, so strong. Can't wait for "thank u, next" <3

Comment

• JSparksFan
                                    • 24 Jul 2009

Re: UKMusicLova's Hot 100 2018 (#1 Album Revealed)

For me, Dirty Computer is fairly close to immaculate. I really hope it wins AOTY at the Grammys, but even if it doesn't, it was an enormous favourite of mine this year.

Sweetener is interesting because it has two songs that are among my all-time favourites already, about a handful of others that are strong and memorable, and then a few others that just don't do much for me. It's not her best album for me, but damn, it has "God Is a Woman" and "Breathin" so I can't not be happy to see it at #1 here.

Comment

• Carbon
                                      Legend
                                      • 19 Jul 2013

Re: UKMusicLova's Hot 100 2018 (#1 Album Revealed)

Checked the Ariana and Janelle albums but ended up just liking the singles. Both good efforts nonetheless

Comment

• luckyONE
                                        Superstar
                                        • 07 Feb 2012

oh what a great #1 Album!
                                        And what is even better is that we both share the exact same three Songs as our favorite Songs off 'sweetener'.
                                        'no Tears left to cry' is my favorite Ariana song so far, 'better off' is such a good relatable song for me and 'god is a woman' is just amazing!

Comment

Working...