• Show
Clear All
  • UKMusicLova
    Legend
    • 05 Sep 2006

3-1:

[center:3srn1bsy]
    3. ARIANA GRANDE | THANK U, NEXT
    I know they say I move on too fast, but this one's gon' last, cause her name is Ari

Kicking off the top three, is one of the monster big hits of 2018 - Ariana's surprise(ish) release 'thank u, next'. After the few years that she had, and after the recent break up with Pete Davidson, you'd think that 'thank u, next' would be a clapback for all of her exes. However as Ariana herself said this song is all about "love, gratitude, acceptance, honesty, forgiveness...and growth" and she's totally right. The first verse is dedicated to her exes (she name checks Big Sean, Ricky Alvarez, Pete Davidson, and the late Mac Miller), thanking them for the part they played in her life, the second verse is a dedication to herself and self-acceptance. The bridge is looking to the future and how one day she will get married, and she'll make it last...but even if something happens "at least this song is a smash". I love this confidence that Ari is exhibiting at the moment. She has had a tough time emotionally, and I love that she just decided to create an album with her close friends.

2. ARIANA GRANDE | GOD IS A WOMAN
    He see's the universe when I'm in company, it's all in me

Ariana touches on the subject of sex, religion, feminism and power on this trap/pop song. I think the song title got a lot of right wing religious folks shook, but I mean it's the truth y'all...God is a woman! The song refers to the almost existential, religious feeling that someone can experience following sex. The song doesn't beat around the bush, it's all about not being afraid to jump straight into this passionate love romance. It's also empowering women to own their sexuality, as oppose to sexual stereotypes that have been put on women in history (and still today...). Ariana is telling her lover how SHE likes it and how SHE wants it. YASSS girl, we don't want no DJ Khaled types here! The video is also such a phenomenal moment in Ariana's career. It's a visual masterpiece, really suiting the songs. I adore the reimagining of Michelangelo's 'Creation of Adam' in particular, the imagery there is just stunning. 2018 in my opinion belonged to Ariana, and will be interesting to see how she continues to progress in 2019!

1. KHALID + NORMANI | LOVE LIES
    It's hard for me to open up, I'll admit it, you've got some shit to say and I'm here to listen

This song was such a slow burner for me. I always liked it but the way it grew on me with every listen is absolutely crazy, it's such an ear worm and has ended up being my favourite song of 2018. It's so chill, which is why I think it took a little while to grow on me, but when it hits you, you just can't stop listening. It doesn't feel like the type of song that should smash, as it's quite a low key sensual R&B mid-tempo, but you can't deny a song this good and it took its time but eventually did become a huge hit globally. Normani was so smart to kickstart her solo career, duetting with her friend Khalid, who was bound to really blow up in 2018. 'Love Lies' is about owning up to your own insecurities, and being ready to communicate with your lover regarding what you want out of your relationship. There is this flirty nature between Khalid and Normani's delivery on the song, you can really feel their chemistry on the song. It's dark, it's sexy and it remains a pop friendly catchy R&B song. I know it's nothing unique, and they didn't reinvent anything on this song but it's simplicity is what I love. I also love an R&B duet, and we need more of these released!

[youtube:3srn1bsy]xYtsL9znopI[/youtube:3srn1bsy][/center:3srn1bsy]

Comment

• Thriller
      Administrator
      • 13 Dec 2003

Re: UKMusicLova's Hot 100 2018 (3-1)

Hmmm, the first Ariana one is good but I don’t feel the urge to play it ever, GIAW I feel is weak for her standards and Love Lies is decent but suffered from radio overplay earlier in the year for me.

Comment

• Tansike
        Site Supporter
        • 28 Jan 2012

9. ARIANA GRANDE | NO TEARS LEFT TO CRY
        8. DRAKE | NICE FOR WHAT
        6. JANELLE MONAE | MAKE ME FEEL
        4. LILY ALLEN FT. GIGGS | TRIGGER BANG
        3. ARIANA GRANDE | THANK U, NEXT
        2. ARIANA GRANDE | GOD IS A WOMAN
        1. KHALID + NORMANI | LOVE LIES

Great Top10, I like most of it!
        So, so happy to see Ariana having three entries. It really was her year and "No Tears" & "God Is A Woman" are pop masterpieces. "thank u, next" is cute and good, but I definitely prefer the other two a lot more.
        "Love Lies" is an unexpected, but good winner. Loved how this became such a slow burner on the charts!

Comment

• king_oxymoron
          Legend
          • 04 Apr 2003

Category is... nice songs! Basically your top ten is mainly cute bops I like, but don't live for. Love Lies, Make Me Feel, NTLTC, Thank U, Trigger Bang... I like em!

The one I LOVE though is God Is A Woman. Such layered genius.
          Check out my Top 100 of 2012 Countdown!

Comment

• UKMusicLova
            Legend
            • 05 Sep 2006

It is a bit of a basic bop top 10 this year!

Thought I'd quickly highlight my favourite music video of the year. Stiff competition with some high budget masterpieces from Rosalía, Janelle Monae, Ariana Grande, Childish Gambino, Drake and Calvin Harris. However my favourite video probably has a considerably lower budget, but I feel it's a real passion project. The amount of energy and pure fire in the routine, meant I had to give this one to Ciara!

[center:x8uhdn6c][youtube:x8uhdn6c]Dh-ULbQmmF8[/youtube:x8uhdn6c][/center:x8uhdn6c]

Comment

• Carbon
              Legend
              • 19 Jul 2013

I like the two Ariana songs, and this is my first time checking out your #1 - sadly, not impressed Normani has a nice husky voice though

Comment

• JSparksFan
                Moderator and Site Supporter
                • 24 Jul 2009

"Thank U, Next" is exceptional. I love its message, and I love the attempt made to make the video a big pop event.

"God Is a Woman" is absolutely brilliant. Big vocals, big-budget video, big and controversial message. She really won me over with that stunner.

"Love Lies" is almost a bit too subtle and chill for me, but Normani does do a great job with it. For me, it's the best song she's been a part of post-Fifth Harmony.
                Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [#7]
                Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Beautiful Things
                AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. The Libertines]
                Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Katy Perry vs. No Doubt]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

Working...