View Poll Results: Hottest Song of 2018?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ariana Grande - God is a woman

4 30.77%
  • Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over

1 7.69%
  • Cardi B - I Like It

0 0%
  • Ella Mai - Trip

1 7.69%
  • Janelle Monae - Make Me Feel

2 15.38%
  • Khalid - Love Lies

2 15.38%
  • Lily Allen - Trigger Bang

1 7.69%
  • Rosalía - Malamente

2 15.38%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UKMusicLova's Hot 100 2018 (3-1)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Fri December 28th, 2018, 12:33

Already lots of good Songs!

Meant To Be (unfortunately slept on this one…)
    Only You
    Dinero
    For you
    Woman Like Me
    Friends
    Happier
    Let You Love Me
    Lost in Japan
    Youth
    Ruin My Life

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Fri December 28th, 2018, 23:10

Ooft, don't want to say which but quite a few songs in your missed list are high in my chart. The good.. you love them.. the bad, you don't love them as much as I do.

On the flip side, lots of songs that I had in the same section, good to see the likes of M.O, getting some love.

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2018, 00:56

BTS | FAKE LOVE
    CALVIN HARRIS FT. SAM SMITH | PROMISES
    CAMILA CABELLO | NEVER BE THE SAME
    CARDI B FT. KEHLANI | RING
    CHARLIE PUTH FT. KEHLANI | DONE FOR ME
    LADY GAGA | ALWAYS REMEMBER US THIS WAY
    LANA DEL REY | MARINERS APARTMENT COMPLEX
    MARSHMELLO & ANNE-MARIE | FRIENDS
    NICKI MINAJ | BARBIE DREAMS
    RITA ORA | LET ME LOVE YOU
    SHAWN MENDES | LOST IN JAPAN
    SHAWN MENDES FT. KHALID | YOUTH
    TROYE SIVAN FT. ARIANA GRANDE | DANCE TO THIS
    YEARS & YEARS | ALL FOR YOU
    ZEDD FT. ELLEY DUHE | HAPPY NOW
    ZEDD FT. MAREN MORRIS | THE MIDDLE

Already lots of songs on the missed list that I like. The above ones are the ones that I really love!

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Sun December 30th, 2018, 00:46

Quote Originally Posted by abi
    Pleased to see BTS on the list. Didn't know you listen to their music!
    I spent a couple of weeks in South Korea this year, so slowly getting myself into more K-pop. There may be 1 or 2 of the songs I heard a lot over there, in my countdown

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Sun December 30th, 2018, 03:04

Thanks for the comments all! Really love hearing what you guys think about songs I love
    Into the countdown we go. Every set, I'll include a Youtube link of a lesser known song I'd like to highlight.

100-91:

100. RAYE FT. MALEEK BERRY & NANA ROGUES | CONFIDENCE
    Usually it's cold in the England, so I think I'll fly somewhere different

'Confidence' is basically a holiday in the Caribbean, turned into a song. You can imagine sipping on a piña colada, while on the beaches of the Dominican Republic, when you're listening to this bop.

99. CHLOE X HALLE FT. JOEY BADA$$ | HAPPY WITHOUT ME
    I remember when you used to call me in the morning, just to see if I was good and slept right

These sisters released a great album, offering a slightly left field version of R&B. This song describes the process of moving of moving on from a relationship, when your ex seems to be flourishing and happy without you.

98. VERA BLUE FT. KODIE SHANE | LADY POWERS
    I'm not going to beg for your respect, I won't be defined by your eyes

Vera Blue is known for her own brand of folk/pop in her native Australia, but she switched it up with a club banger on the feminist anthem, 'Lady Powers'. This is a song for women taking their power back and I love it!

97. ANDERSON .PAAK FT. KENDRICK LAMAR | TINTS
    You ain't gotta flash when you takin' your picture

Anderson .Paak enlists help from Kendrick Lamar on this groovy, funky bop. This song is about fame, and how you have to be driving round with tints. Love Kendrick's line; "Bitch, I'm Kendrick Lamar, respect me from afar"

96. ZAYN | ENTERTAINER
    You thought you had me, didn't you?

Zayn has released what feels like an endless number of songs from his second album, 'Icarus Falls'. This is probably my favourite, and would have been much higher had I not overplayed it. Zayn finds his cheating girlfriend entertaining to play with.

95. TOM GRENNAN | RUN IN THE RAIN
    Just give me the reasons to run in the rain, and I'll be alright

This ballad was an early standout when I first listened to Tom Grennan's debut album, so I was happy it was released as a single. It's an emotional song, and really shows off his voice. Lyrically it is a bit generic x-factor contestant, but I like it anyway

94. JAIN | ALRIGHT
    I have better things to do, than crying over you

Jain is a French singer, who grew up in Congo. She is behind the incredible 'Makeba', and she released a fun pop album this year. 'Alright' was the first single, and has this infectious optimistic vibe on a Afrobeats influenced beat.

93. CIARA | LEVEL UP
    Less talking, more action, you just gon' see CiCi coming

Ciara was not playing with this release, it's such a banger. I love how uptempo it is, and the confidence oozing from CiCi's delivery and lyrics. I love how it became a bit of a viral hit for her, and she saw some success in 2018! Also, the video was straight up SLÉ

92. TONI BRAXTON | LONG AS I LIVE
    I can hardly remember remember why we ever lost ties

Toni just brings so much class with this song. Only an icon can release music this good, 25 years into her career. We love a heartbreak on the dance floor track, and this song will make you want to cry and two-step at the same time.

CALVIN HARRIS & DUA LIPA | ONE KISS
    Something in you, lit up heaven in me

After his successful spell with the funk sounds, Calvin returned to a more deep house vibe with 'One Kiss' featuring lady of the moment, Dua Lipa. I love how nonchalant she sounds on this, really suits Calvin's production. Only critique I have with the song, is that it's quite repetitive and feels very long despite only being 3:34.

Legend
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)

by » Sun December 30th, 2018, 07:04

Great to see Jain and Chloe x Halle songs. Also Tom Grennan deserves a shoutout.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)

by » Sun December 30th, 2018, 11:51

One Kiss and Long As I Live are nice, not a big fan of this particular Chloe x Halle song, but overall I really like the girls and hope they make it big

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

by » Sun December 30th, 2018, 11:55

Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova
    Quote Originally Posted by abi
    Pleased to see BTS on the list. Didn't know you listen to their music!
    I spent a couple of weeks in South Korea this year, so slowly getting myself into more K-pop. There may be 1 or 2 of the songs I heard a lot over there, in my countdown
    Glad to hear that! Love Yourself: Tear (the album "Fake Love" is from) is a pretty strong R&B/Pop album! K-R&B is LIFE as well!

"Happy Without Me" is A JAM! I'm so glad I discovered their music.

That Andersoon .Paak/Kendrick song is not bad but he has way better songs.

"Entertainer" is a cute alt-R&B song but again, he's done better.

"Level Up" was a bop! Shame they didn't really push the song on the radio cause it really had potential!

"Long As I Live" was a great comeback! Kinda surprised to see her quite low here.

Legend
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)

by » Sun December 30th, 2018, 16:04

Don’t know most of them but Long As I Live is THAT throwback R&B jam and One Kiss deserved to be such a monster hit.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Sun December 30th, 2018, 16:57

One Kiss is great but I think it now feels generic EVEN THOUGH it absolutely wasn't on first listen.
    Level Up is ace!

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by » Tue January 1st, 2019, 16:02

94. JAIN | ALRIGHT
    93. CIARA | LEVEL UP
    91. CALVIN HARRIS & DUA LIPA | ONE KISS

Really enjoy these three tunes so far, with "Alright" definitely being my fave of the bunch. Cool song

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 01:49

90-81:

90. RAVYN LENAE | STICKY
    Let's play, let's pretend

A slice of Prince-esque funk for you here. Ravyn Lenae is only 18 years old, but she knows how to write a BOP. The psychedelic guitar and electric guitar additions in the production, really complement Ravyn's experimental vocal delivery. There's airs of Kate Bush when she goes into the falsetto parts. The song is about being stuck in a relationship that is falling apart.

89. DRAKE | GOD'S PLAN
    Tryna keep it peaceful is a struggle for me

Drake is arguably the biggest artist around right now, and has nailed catering to both the hip-hop, R&B and pop crowds. 'God's Plan' is a perfect example of what Drake does best. Rhythmic music, which is catchy and stays in your head. The "bad things, there's a lot of bad things that they wishing on me" part is so memorable!

88. CLEAN BANDIT FT. DEMI LOVATO | SOLO
    I wanna f-woop woop woop, but I'm broken hearted

My favourite genre of heartbreak on the dance floor strikes again, with this winning collaboration between Clean Bandit and Demi Lovato. Demi sounds great singing this, it really suits her. I love the chorus, especially the "f-woop woop woop" part!

87. ROBYN | MISSING U
    I keep digging through our waste of time, but the picture's incomplete

Another heartbreak on the dance floor song, this time from the Queen of this genre - Robyn! This song is probably the closest Robyn has come to 'Body Talk' style music in 2018. Definitely one for fans of that album, but a very updated and defiant 2018 version!

86. MABEL FT. NOT3S | FINE LINE
    Now we're dancing on a fine line, somewhere between a minute and a lifetime

Fresh off the back of their collaboration, 'My Lover', Mabel and Not3s joined forces again on this tropical-esque banger. The song describes that phase at the beginning of a relationship where you're trying to figure each other out. Two great up and coming British talents.

85. KHALID | BETTER
    I got so high the other night, I swear to God, felt my feet lift the ground

Khalid is one of my favourite artists of 2018. His voice is just magic, and lifts every song he is on. This is a sensual, hazy R&B song that at first I thought was slightly too monotonous but has grown on me so much and I think that delivery actually makes the song.

84. BENNY BLANCO, KHALID + HALSEY | EASTSIDE
    Seventeen and we got a dream to have a family, and house, and everything in between

Khalid again, this time teaming up with benny blanco and Halsey for their mega-hit 'Eastside'. This song describes how young love morphs into, and through, the troubles of adulthood. It isn't the most unique song in the world, but I it's super catchy and I have played it A LOT.

83. POST MALONE + SWAE LEE | SUNFLOWER
    I know you're scared of the unknown

I think Post Malone is quite polarising - some people adore him and some people don't understand the hype. I'm in neither camp, but I do admit he does know how to write a good hook. This collaboration with Swae Lee is really good, and probably my favourite Post Malone song! I love Swae's voice!

82. JANELLE MONAE FT. GRIMES | PYNK
    Pink is the truth you can't hide, maybe

Historically pink has been one of the colours that we use to define gender, being synonymous with girlishness. Well Janelle is using this colour to challenge the and discuss the future of gender. The sparse R&B production, Janelle's bubblegum deliver of the verses are a great companion to the almost punk-ish chorus provided by Janelle and Grimes!

81. BANX & RANX + ELLA EYRE FT. YXNG BANE | ANSWERPHONE
    When I call you, you don't answer phone

This song is probably one of my most played songs of the year, and I've sort of overplayed it for myself. However I looove Ella Eyre, I think she's very talented so I'm happy this was a big hit for her. This song is full of sass, Ella is not going to put up going straight to answerphone every time she calls her man.

Legend
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 06:05

I've heard the majority of these songs but I barely remember how they sounded like. "Better" is a cute little jam though and "God's Plan" isn't bad either.

Voted for "Trip" from the list. Definitely my favorite R&B song of the year!

Legend
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 07:42

Yay for Janelle, Robyn and Ravyn.

Legend
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 15:46

Good to see someone else remember Fine Line, and Answerphone should be higher!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 15:51

Unfortunately I slept on 'Solo', a tune!
    'Better' is nice.

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Legend
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 20:23

Shame that these ones missed the main show:

CALVIN HARRIS FT. SAM SMITH | PROMISES
    LADY GAGA | ALWAYS REMEMBER US THIS WAY
    LANA DEL REY | MARINERS APARTMENT COMPLEX
    LITTLE MIX FT. NICKI MINAJ | WOMAN LIKE ME
    MARTIN GARRIX FT. KHALID | OCEAN
    RITA ORA | LET ME LOVE YOU
    THE WEEKND FT. KENDRICK LAMAR - PRAY FOR ME
    TROYE SIVAN FT. ARIANA GRANDE | DANCE TO THIS

ZEDD FT. MAREN MORRIS | THE MIDDLE

"Entertainer" is good, but "There You Are" is my clear favourite from his lengthy new LP. "Level Up" is sub-par for CiCi, but when it comes on in the club, I do go off a bit! "Long as I Live" is classy indeed! "One Kiss" is okay; I agree with you on it being repetitive.

"Solo" is a bop, one of the best from Clean Bandit and Demi. "Pynk" was a slow burner for me, but I've grown to appreciate it, though it is admittedly among my bottom half from its parent album.
    Do we settle for the world as it is, or do we work for the world as it should be?

Akini's Top 100 Drag Race Queens: [#1 Revealed!]

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 21:24

Yeah, big fan of Answerphone, was a biiig moment when I saw her in the summer and Khalid has released a lot of decent stuff this year too.. though neither of his best for me there. Solo is a bop!

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Thu January 3rd, 2019, 03:04

80-71:

80. LANA DEL REY | VENICE BITCH
    Fresh out of f*cks, forever

Possibly the longest song to ever make one of my End Of lists, 'Venice Bitch' is Lana doing what she does best, but giving herself space to fully immerse into the song. The mood of the song required every second of the nearly 10 minute length. So excited for her album this year.

79. BRUNO MARS FT. CARDI B | FINESSE
    We out here drippin' in finesse

What a monster collaboration this is. Again a curse of overplayed strikes here, as I fully loved this song earlier in the year, but now don't listen to it all that much. Still, I adore the 90s new jack swing influence that is dripping all over this song and the video is a real event of the year. A song that fully introduced Cardi B to pop audiences, and another big hit for Bruno Mars.

78. EMPRESS OF | WHEN I'M WITH HIM
    I can't help but repress, all the signs telling me that I'm not fine

'Us' was one of the albums I ended up being disappointed with in 2018, after high hopes, but it still did give us the fantastic 'When I'm With Him'. The instrumental of this song is very breezy and light, but Lorely Rodriguez's delivery of the song is a journey. The song looks at a romance that looks perfect on the surface, but is rotten to its core.

77. TINASHE FT. FUTURE | FADED LOVE
    I can feel every breath on the edge of my neck, cigarettes and cologne

This is probably my favourite single from the serially delayed 'Joyride' album, Tinashe's 2nd official album. I really enjoyed the album, but it did feel a bit disappointing in comparison to 'Aquarius' and her mixtapes. It felt like a compromise for both Tinashe and her label. Anyway, this song is very Tinashe but does have the catchy radio friendly feel. Shame it wasn't a hit.

76. BLACKPINK | DDU-DU DDU-DU
    Hit you with that ddu-du ddu-du

This song was literally EVERYWHERE when I was in South Korea earlier in the year. It was inescapable and I fell in love with it. Love the production, it will get you on the dance floor straight away. The girls are so sassy with their delivery and while I don't understand any of the lyrics, you can't help but join in with 'hit you with that ddu-du ddu-du' when it hits!

75. SIGRID | STRANGERS
    We're falling head over heels, for something that ain't real

Sigrid certainly knows herself around a huge pop hook, and they don't really come much bigger than 'Strangers'. That chorus is really such a pop moment, so dancey, that just stands out amongst the more minimalistic verses...then comes the second chorus which takes the production up a step. The song is about a relationship that doesn't quite live up to Hollywood standards.

74. NORMANI + CALVIN HARRIS FT. WIZKID | CHECKLIST
    Slow whine, slow whine, body cold like a necklace

Well Normani came all the way through in 2018, with some very high quality music. She surprise released a 2-track EP with Calvin Harris, that featured this dancehall influenced banger, featuring WizKid. Shame they didn't push it, and just released it without much fanfare, as it sounds like something that would SMASH in the UK. It's so uptempo, and i can't help but want to dance when I hear it.

73. KOJO FUNDS + RAYE | CHECK
    Love it when you watch how my weed smokes

Well this song had me at the Craig David sample, not going to lie. But also it's a really nice duet, between two great UK talents. Kojo and Raye have great chemistry on this song. Raye does a great job with her sing/rap verse. The use of the '7 Days' guitar, really adds this seductive feel to the song, which sets it apart from the other Afrobeats inspired tracks released in 2018.

72. COURTNEY BARNETT | NEED A LITTLE TIME
    I don't know a lot about you but, you seem to know a lot about me

Another song I discovered when I was living in Australia, I absolutely love the vibe of this song. It's so cool, really brings that grunge-pop feel of the early 00s back in such an awesome way. The lyrics are great as well, quite poetic - all about Courtney needing to take a little time out from herself (and you). Actually the song does a great job of making you forget about all the outside noise, and just enter your own little world. Obama also listed this as one of his favourite tracks of 2018, so listen to it!

71. MAROON 5 FT. CARDI B | GIRLS LIKE YOU
    Girls like you love fun, and yeah, me too

I really don't know what it is that made me feel in love with this song. It's so damn generic, and I know there's nothing special, but I really love listening to it. Maybe it was the video, which I thought was very cute. The song is also pretty bad lyrically, but there you go- we all need a basic pop bop now anda gain. Cardi has a decent feature on this, another great pop feature for her. There's a great remix by St Vincent as well, if you want something slightly more interesting sonically!

Legend
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

by » Thu January 3rd, 2019, 04:13

"Venice Bitch" is lovely; your highlighted lyric is my favourite moment. "Finesse" was a huge early 2018 moment, but as good as the remix is, I still prefer the original. Surprisingly, I loathed "Checklist", but I'm still rooting for Normani. "Girls Like You" is good.
    Do we settle for the world as it is, or do we work for the world as it should be?

Akini's Top 100 Drag Race Queens: [#1 Revealed!]

Legend
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)

by » Thu January 3rd, 2019, 09:46

72. COURTNEY BARNETT | NEED A LITTLE TIME - artistic, valiant. yet enjoyable

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by » Thu January 3rd, 2019, 14:33

88. CLEAN BANDIT FT. DEMI LOVATO | SOLO
    85. KHALID | BETTER
    84. BENNY BLANCO, KHALID + HALSEY | EASTSIDE
    82. JANELLE MONAE FT. GRIMES | PYNK

80. LANA DEL REY | VENICE BITCH
    79. BRUNO MARS FT. CARDI B | FINESSE
    75. SIGRID | STRANGERS
    74. NORMANI + CALVIN HARRIS FT. WIZKID | CHECKLIST
    71. MAROON 5 FT. CARDI B | GIRLS LIKE YOU

Really liking these from the latest two groups. "Solo" is sooo good, a big highlight of the year for me as well.
    Also love how "Venice Bitch" made a similar position on your countdown as it did on Akini's and mine (#90 on both) and we all pointed out that she filled these nearly ten minutes perfectly. But even though she did that, I feel like the song could have made a bigger impact if it would have been shorter (= more replay value).

Legend
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)

by » Thu January 3rd, 2019, 20:51

Finesse and Strangers are top tunes! Shame Sigrid has yet to match that actually.

Girls Like You can do one.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Fri January 4th, 2019, 19:00

I know exactly how you feel about Girls Like You, it's so basic but so good. Strangers was last year for me but is great, so Checklist is the main highlight of this batch for ,e. Grower, too.