Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aang
    • 27 Dec 2007

#11 & #20 US iTunes let's go!

I'm surprised Jojo is higher than The High Road though.

Comment

• ThaInfo1
      Legend
      • 26 Nov 2006

Originally posted by abi

I'm not, she was more known for "Get Out" so it makes a tad bit of sense to me.

I'm enjoying JoJo a lot more than The High Road. It's better produced (and tbh...I didn't listen to her first album like that...couldn't take her teen voice after being so hooked on her more developed voice around a few years later). These mature vocals on some of these songs are giving them another life.

A small complaint would be some of the replicated productions being a bit cheap, but she probably funded this out of her own pocket so I won't count that against her at all.

Comment

• aang
        • 27 Dec 2007

Originally posted by ThaInfo1
        Originally posted by abi

I'm not, she was more known for "Get Out" so it makes a tad bit of sense to me.

I'm enjoying JoJo a lot more than The High Road. It's better produced (and tbh...I didn't listen to her first album like that...couldn't take her teen voice after being so hooked on her more developed voice around a few years later). These mature vocals on some of these songs are giving them another life.

A small complaint would be some of the replicated productions being a bit cheap, but she probably funded this out of her own pocket so I won't count that against her at all.
        Ah okay, I was always under the impression that her second album era was bigger.

And most definitely agree with you with the production. The mixing sounds very cheap and kinda gritty but yeah it's okay, we understand her situation.

I've never heard her first album either so it kinda surprised me how versatile the album is. This was such a very grown album for a 14-year old (?) girl to record at that time though!

Comment

• aang
          • 27 Dec 2007

"Leave (Get Out)" enters the top 100 on iTunes y'all!

A bit sad that she's so under the radar these past few years that people are starting to forget about her. If more celebrities tweeted about this, more and more people would look up, so far Ella Mai is the only one. But anyway, I'm really rooting for her to win in 2019. She's been through a lot!

Comment

• ludichris
            Superstar
            • 23 Nov 2010

Self Titled is sounding better than The High Road and a lot better than I remembered! I would take this new version over her last album actually. Sunshine

Comment

• Loose
              Legend
              • 17 Apr 2006

The High Road is miles better for me as there is some coherence. The debut feels more like a surprise bag of either really dull or really funky songs.
              It's a man's man's man's world.

Comment

• IVyoncé
                Legend
                • 18 May 2009

Originally posted by abi
                "Leave (Get Out)" enters the top 100 on iTunes y'all!

A bit sad that she's so under the radar these past few years that people are starting to forget about her. If more celebrities tweeted about this, more and more people would look up, so far Ella Mai is the only one. But anyway, I'm really rooting for her to win in 2019. She's been through a lot!
                Meghan Trainor talked about it on instagram stories iirc

Comment

• IVyoncé
                  Legend
                  • 18 May 2009

Re: Jojo - Jojo/The High Road (2018)

I am hooked on both albums, her debut sounds way better with the grown vocals and i also enjoy The High Road grown, i don't mind the sometimes a little more cheapish production, it fits well with the nostalgia vibe.

Comment

• Gravity
                    Legend
                    • 05 Jan 2016

Originally posted by abi
                    I've never heard her first album either so it kinda surprised me how versatile the album is. This was such a very grown album for a 14-year old (?) girl to record at that time though!
                    I think she was 12 when some of these songs were recorded. There were some Disney-like moments on it but yeah, overall it was very mature and versatile.

I agree that re-recorded version of her debut is better than The High Road. The one that disappointed me a bit is the new version of Demonstrate. What happened to her voice? :-?

But I'm just so happy she finally has the control over that earlier part of her career. Now we just need Jumping Trains
                    Floped and localed

Comment

• MusicJunk90
                      Roadie
                      • 29 Dec 2014

So glad her best album, self titled, is getting the love it deserves. Such a GROWN album. R&B done well which works so well in her adult voice. The production does sound very raw but it works well...they definitely didn’t do a lot of takes and cleaning up on her vocals... They almost sound like live recordings which I really like as the main attraction for me is her voice. I’ve had Never Say Goodbye on repeat all weekend.

Comment

• Loose
                        Legend
                        • 17 Apr 2006

Originally posted by MusicJunk90
                        So glad her best album, self titled, is getting the love it deserves. Such a GROWN album. R&B done well which works so well in her adult voice. The production does sound very raw but it works well...they definitely didn’t do a lot of takes and cleaning up on her vocals... They almost sound like live recordings which I really like as the main attraction for me is her voice. I’ve had Never Say Goodbye on repeat all weekend.
                        It’s rather youthful than grown in my opinion.

Still very teenage-y lyrically as well as sonically.
                        It's a man's man's man's world.

Comment

• LJC123
                          Manager
                          • 28 Feb 2005

A nice gesture. But I prefer the originals
                          LJC--->>

Comment

• Controlfreak
                            Manager
                            • 03 Feb 2012

Originally posted by LJC123
                            A nice gesture. But I prefer the originals

Comment

• Preyoncé
                              Legend
                              • 14 Feb 2006

Re: Jojo - Jojo/The High Road (2018)

I prefer the authenticity of the originals. This reminds of TLC on their last album where they resung their classics.
                              But the originals are available on my iTunes since forever.
                              | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Preyoncé
                                Legend
                                • 14 Feb 2006

So what’s the deal with her re-recording her songs?
                                She sounds quite nasalized.
                                Interesting to hear these songs rerecorded and the originals.
                                | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Gravity
                                  Legend
                                  • 05 Jan 2016

Originally posted by Guru
                                  I noticed that too.

I miss her vouce circa Demonstrate. It was heavenly
                                  Floped and localed

Comment

• IVyoncé
                                    Legend
                                    • 18 May 2009

This way she has her old material back into her own hands

Comment

• Golowhore
                                      • 21 Aug 2009

Originally posted by Gravity
                                      I noticed that too.

I miss her vouce circa Demonstrate. It was heavenly
                                      She has had major problems with sinuses and allergies and (based on her IG and the earlier tour) she seemed to be sick for about 90% of this year. Some of these recordings are fine, while some sound like she's on the verge of being hospitalized.

As far as studio recordings, Mad Love was her best vocal era by far. So hopefully she'll sound like that on her next album.
                                      JoJo

Comment

• Preyoncé
                                        Legend
                                        • 14 Feb 2006

The tracks This Time opens up like she used a Nokia 3310 to match the beat.

Comment

• mattsky
                                          Legend
                                          • 17 Mar 2009

This Time is a bop!
                                          Haven't been early since '88

Comment

Working...