Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setg1 top five: 2018 year-end chart

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Mon December 24th, 2018, 11:48

As the year 2018 is coming to an end, it's time for yet another year-end chart of the setg1 top five. Which song will follow "One Dance" and "4 Leaf Clover" as the year-end #1?

The year was not a particularly interesting one in music for me, which shows in the low scores for songs (although one song proved really dominant, breaking pretty much all possible records)... However, 51 songs spent at least one week in the top five, seven less than in 2016 but three more than last year. Another notable occurrence was that I managed to compile a chart for each week, unlike in the last couple of years when there were a few "frozen charts". However, the year-end chart is a lot weirder than in the last few years as an advance warning to anyone reading – there are a lot of songs from My Little Pony ( ) and other weirdness, while mainstream hits don't get as much attention as they used to!

Regardless of certain songs' lack of mainstream appeal, I hope you can find some of your favorites here – and who knows, maybe something new and interesting might pop up too!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Mon December 24th, 2018, 12:13

51. Bazzi: Mine
    1 point - peak position: 5 - 1 week

The countdown starts with one of the few actual hits to chart in the top five this year! A nice song which deserved a better chart run – it suffered chartwise from being a slow burner, being one of my most played songs of the year but having a low peak...

50. 5 Seconds of Summer: Want You Back

This had a similar fate to "Mine", getting played much more than even some of my number-one hits. A catchy pop song, which I found a lot better than their big hit "Youngblood", but sadly it didn't get the same attention internationally...

49. Sia: Santa's Coming for Us

The first of multiple appearances this year for Sia, and the first appearance ever on the setg1 top five for a Christmas song! Its chart run was expectedly short, but it was easily the standout of last year's Christmas hits for me.

48. Tuure Kilpeläinen: Jättiläinen
    2 points - peak position: 4 - 1 week

One interesting effect of a weak year in music was that Finnish songs had a better performance than in the last two years (they've never really done well on my chart before). A pop cover version of a rap song from earlier this year, much better than the original which didn't come close to charting.

47. Twenty One Pilots: Jumpsuit

Twenty One Pilots had an amazing year in 2016, charting at #4, #13, #18, #28 and #47 in the year-end. I can already reveal their new era didn't impress me quite as much, though they did have a few appearances this year, this being the least successful. I like the sound of the song but I felt there was maybe something missing...

46. Post Malone: Better Now

After missing out with "Rockstar", Post Malone got his first chart hit with this song. It impressed me on first listen with how good it was, especially for (at that point) an album track!

45. Ofenbach vs. Nick Waterhouse: Katchi

A track that I found annoying at first... but in the end, I had to admit it was irresistibly catchy, as its title implies! The competition it faced was too strong for it to have a better chart run, though.

44. Gabbie Hanna: Honestly
    3 points - peak position: 4 - 2 weeks

The first song that spent more than one week in the top five. The artist is apparently some YouTube comedian, which didn't give me very high expectations... but I was wrong, this is a nice and catchy pop song!

43. Disclosure: Where Angels Fear to Tread
    3 points - peak position: 3 - 1 week

The highest-placed song that only charted for one week. A great dance track that samples "Fools Rush In", managing to sound both old and new at the same time.

42. Hey Violet: Hoodie
    In 2018: 4 points - peak position: 3 - 2 weeks
    Full chart run: 8 points - peak position: 3 - 4 weeks

One of the three songs that already appeared in the 2017 year-end. Nice pop that deserved more attention – and was very unlucky to have its chart run split almost equally between two years!

41. Sam Vincent, Scott McNeil & Tara Strong: Friendship U
    5 points - peak position: 3 - 2 weeks

The first of many songs from "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" to chart this year (hey, the series has a lot of catchy songs in it)... This musical number isn't one of my favorites, though, in spite of a good chorus...

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Mon December 24th, 2018, 15:27

It’s good to see Want You Back, not seem it in many places but I do think it showcased a growth and a mature sound!

Legend
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)

by » Mon December 24th, 2018, 22:13

"Better Now" is far and away Post Malone's best track! It's such a bop!
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Tue December 25th, 2018, 09:44

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    It’s good to see Want You Back, not seem it in many places but I do think it showcased a growth and a mature sound!
    I agree! I can't understand why it didn't have more success, I guess it got a bit overshadowed by "Youngblood"...

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    "Better Now" is far and away Post Malone's best track! It's such a bop!
    Definitely! Sometimes a song just surprises you with how great it is, and this was one of those! Easily one of my favorite hits in 2018 – it was my number one on the Billboard top ten for 17 weeks!

Legend
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

by » Tue December 25th, 2018, 09:46

'Santa's Coming For Us' is cute!
    I like 'Better Now' too.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by » Tue December 25th, 2018, 10:39

'Katchi' was one of my favorite Songs for the club this summer!

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Wed December 26th, 2018, 13:17

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    'Santa's Coming For Us' is cute!
    I like 'Better Now' too.
    Great songs! Sia is one of the most successful artists in the setg1 top five, as she'll have a couple of songs higher in this year-end... but how much higher?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    'Katchi' was one of my favorite Songs for the club this summer!
    I'm glad you liked it too! I don't remember seeing it in many personal charts here, though it did have more chart success than many others in my top five.

Legend
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)

by » Wed December 26th, 2018, 22:47

Love "Jumpsuit", definitely my fave of the batch!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Thu December 27th, 2018, 00:06

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike

Love "Jumpsuit", definitely my fave of the batch!
    I'm glad you enjoyed these songs! "Jumpsuit" isn't quite my favorite from Twenty One Pilots, and they'll have more appearances in the countdown... I really like the sound of the song, though, even if the song didn't impress me on first listen.

And the countdown continues...

40. Years & Years: Sanctify
    6 points - peak position: 4 - 5 weeks

"Meteorite" was the #2 hit of 2016, making my expectations for their new releases quite high. Unfortunately, "Sanctify" became their only top five hit of 2018 and paled in comparison to its predecessor's then record-breaking run. Still a better song than its performance on international charts would suggest!

39. Mendez: Everyday
    6 points - peak position: 4 - 3 weeks

Melodifestivalen songs outperformed actual Eurovision finalists in the last couple of years, but this year was an exception – the last two years both had three songs charting, two of them even making it to #1, but this was the only one to chart in 2018. A nice Latin song that was much better than the winner in my opinion.

38. Ghost: Dance Macabre
    6 points - peak position: 3 - 2 weeks

"Square Hammer" was the #3 hit of 2016, and the Swedish metal band finally got their comeback hit with this song! It took months for it to really impress me, but it's currently at its peak, meaning that it might get a better position in the 2019 year-end...

37. Rak-Su feat. Wyclef Jean & Naughty Boy: Dimelo

6 points - peak position: 1 - 2 weeks
    The least successful number-one hit in the history of the setg1 top five, dropping from #1 to #5 and then out. A guilty pleasure track – terrible lyrics but it was too catchy not to chart it briefly!

36. Twenty One Pilots: Nico and the Niners

7 points - peak position: 3 - 3 weeks

I felt this was a stronger track than "Jumpsuit", though this didn't get quite as much attention. But this wasn't my favorite track on "Trench" either...

35. Eleni Foureira: Fuego

7 points - peak position: 2 - 4 weeks

One of the few Eurovision songs that impressed me this year. I wanted it to win which didn't happen in the end. However, there is one Eurovision song higher in the year-end!

34. Therapy: Callow?

9 points - peak position: 2 - 3 weeks

A good rock song which isn't particularly groundbreaking but an enjoyable listen anyway – enough for a good position during a quiet period!

33. Bring Me the Horizon: Mantra
    10 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks

Quite a catchy rock song! A nice representative of its sound and the best song I've heard from them so far.

32. Cathy Weseluck, Rebecca Shoichet, Shannon Chan-Kent, Andrea Libman, Ashleigh Ball & Kazumi Evans: The True Gift of Gifting

10 points - peak position: 1 - 3 weeks
    The second (and highest) Christmas song on the list, and also the second song from My Little Pony. A nice way to end the special it appears in, but probably not one I'd listen to much on its own (which might explain why it didn't chart longer).

31. Shannon Chan-Kent: Invisible
    11 points - peak position: 1 - 4 weeks

And a song from My Little Pony: Equestria Girls (this is starting to be a theme)... Nice pop song which I feel works well even outside its original context – cartoons can have undeniably catchy songs sometimes!

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Thu December 27th, 2018, 00:23

I hope Saara is the highest Euro song. Though I LOVE Fuego, it's so catchy.

Years and Years is good but it's not their best this year for me. Agree Meteorite was much better, too.

Legend
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)

by » Thu December 27th, 2018, 03:08

Ah, "Sanctify" slayed me. Terrific song, and terrific accompanying visual. It just be my Y&Y fave, though I also adored "Meteorite"!

"Fuego" is a cute bop.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Thu December 27th, 2018, 22:16

I hope Saara is the highest Euro song. Though I LOVE Fuego, it's so catchy.

Years and Years is good but it's not their best this year for me. Agree Meteorite was much better, too.
    I'm glad you liked "Fuego"! Unfortunately, "Monsters" didn't appear in my top five, though I did like it. The Eurovision song that did chart will appear in the next batch, and it's quite a surprise...

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Ah, "Sanctify" slayed me. Terrific song, and terrific accompanying visual. It just be my Y&Y fave, though I also adored "Meteorite"!

"Fuego" is a cute bop.
    I listened to "Sanctify" for the first time in months, and it's better than I remembered! I still prefer "Meteorite", though – it's my favorite by them.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Thu December 27th, 2018, 23:22

And the next batch...

30. Panic! at the Disco: High Hopes
    11 points - peak position: 1 - 3 weeks

One of my favorite songs from the end of the year. It may not have had much longevity, but it was unusually instant by 2018 standards!

29. Lil Peep & XXXTentacion: Falling Down
    11 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 3 weeks

The two rappers both got their first (and so far only) hit posthumously. Much better than I would ever have expected, very catchy song with a nice chorus!

28. Kelly Sheridan & Kathleen Barr: We're Friendship Bound
    12 points - peak position: 3 - 7 weeks

And more My Little Pony songs (I apologize for this, they're just so catchy, and we haven't seen the last of them yet)... Simply a fun song!

27. Block & Crown: Go Bumrush the Sound
    12 points - peak position: 3 - 5 weeks

Dance track based on the Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive" and sampling a few other songs too – strangely addictive, even if it's not the most imaginative song in the world! An exceptionally strong result for a song that missed the top two – it did spend three weeks at #3!

26. AWS: Viszlát nyár
    12 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks

The Hungarian entry became the most successful Eurovision song of 2018 (and of all time, in fact) in the setg1 top five. Hearing metal in the Eurovision is very rare, and it was certainly a refreshing performance among all the others!

25. Arrested Youth: Black X White
    12 points - peak position: 1 - 4 weeks

Nice and memorable song by the indie rock/rap act, slightly reminiscent of the Twenty One Pilots. Definitely one that deserves more attention (besides a quick appearance on the Finnish iTunes chart which is where I found it)!

24. Bazzi feat. Camila Cabello: Beautiful
    12 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 3 weeks

The second hit for both participating artists, clearly improving on the chart performance of "Mine" but not quite matching that of "Havana" (#7 in the 2017 year-end). The chorus (and especially the instrumentation) is the highlight of this song for me!

23. Hardwell feat. Harrison: Earthquake
    13 points - peak position: 2 - 5 weeks

A great dance track that just missed out on the top five right after its release but entered a few weeks later (an extremely rare occurrence on the setg1 top five). It would probably have reached number one in most weeks but ended up facing a challenger that was too tough and blocked several songs – more on that later...

22. Imagine Dragons: Natural
    13 points - peak position: 1 - 4 weeks

Their second chart hit after "Believer" last year. Not their best song in my opinion ("Demons" still gets that honor), but a good pop rock song and possibly my third favorite from them behind the aforementioned songs!

21. Litku Klemetti: Juna Kainuuseen
    13 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 3 weeks

This song is the third highest appearance for a Finnish-language song and barely made it based on the chart rules (thanks to the album's late entry on the official Finnish charts)... While it was released in December 2016, it only charted in February 2018. I first heard it in spring 2017 and it really grew on me over the following months. A great song reminiscent of the 70s (to the extent I thought it was an old song at first) and also quite a hit in the indie circles, I've understood!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

by » Fri December 28th, 2018, 12:29

I absolutely love 'Natural' by Imagine Dragons!

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Fri December 28th, 2018, 16:52

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    I absolutely love 'Natural' by Imagine Dragons!
    I'm glad to hear that! While its chart run wasn't one of the longest this year, it reached #1 at quite a competitive time, against songs that were very successful...

I expected it to be more popular, but it unfortunately ended up missing the Billboard top 10... Oh well, #13 is still very good for a rock song these days!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Fri December 28th, 2018, 18:04

And now the top 20...

20. Emily Blunt: Open Up Your Eyes
    14 points - peak position: 1 - 4 weeks

This song from "My Little Pony: The Movie" impressed me with the orchestration, vocal performance and lyrics. A very cinematic song that has a sound not often heard in the top five!

19. Beast in Black: Sweet True Lies

14 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 3 weeks

It was a strong year for Finnish songs, and this is another example (though this one is sung in English). A metal song with a very catchy chorus, likely to score some more points in 2019!

18. Kazumi Evans: The Other Side

15 points - peak position: 1 - 7 weeks

Another My Little Pony song... Nice verses and pre-chorus (and excellent vocals!), even if the chorus itself could have been a little better...

17. Highly Suspect: Little One

In 2018: 15 points - peak position: 1 - 6 weeks

Full chart run: 27 points - peak position: 1 (3 weeks) - 9 weeks

Already #27 in the 2017 year-end, this rock song was one of the standout hits at the end of last year. Another track that deserved more attention, though it did have a good run on the Billboard rock charts.

16. Manic Street Preachers: International Blue

16 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks

The Manics shone at the start of the year with this, their most successful song on the setg1 top five to date (outperforming "Together Stronger"). A good song that had a brief spell at #1, though they have several I've liked more.

15. Bad Wolves: Zombie
    18 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks

This Cranberries cover is one of the few cover versions to have reached the top five. It gives the song a very different sound from the original but works extremely well!

14. Litku Klemetti: Miksi en lähtisi kaupunkiin

18 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 6 weeks

There have been only two Finnish-language songs at #1 on the setg1 top five so far, and both were by the same artist (though there was a #2 hit by another performer that scored even more points)! Like "Juna Kainuuseen", this has a retro sound, which is a definite positive for me! One of the highlights of the year for me – I prefer her earlier #1 hit, but being more instant, this one got the higher points haul of the two...

13. Kazumi Evans, Ashleigh Ball, Andrea Libman & Rebecca Shoichet: Photo Booth

19 points - peak position: 1 - 6 weeks

And guess what, more MLP songs... A nice catchy pop song – surprisingly high in the year-end, as I found it a bit generic, but it charted at a fairly quiet time...

12. The Chainsmokers: Sick Boy

21 points - peak position: 1 - 7 weeks

In spite of all their chart success, this was the Chainsmokers' first appearance on the setg1 top five ("Paris" was close to charting earlier). This song didn't impress me particularly on first listen, but it was probably the strongest grower of the whole year!

11. Twenty One Pilots: Chlorine

21 points - peak position: 1 - 7 weeks

The "Trench" era may not have been as huge as "Blurryface" on the setg1 top five, but it did result in three hits, this being the biggest and just missing out on the year-end top ten. A great song that deserves to be a single!

Legend
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)

by » Fri December 28th, 2018, 22:49

Good one, back to the old school MSP with anthemic choruses.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Fri December 28th, 2018, 23:35

I'm not sure I even remember that Eurovision one!
    Bazzi was a lovely song and Camila sounds lush on it, good choice. Also a big fan of those indie pop hits by Imagina Dragons and Panic!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Fri December 28th, 2018, 23:50

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    Good one, back to the old school MSP with anthemic choruses.
    Definitely! I can imagine it being a hit if it had been released before the streaming era... Sadly songs like this don't get the attention they deserve these days.

I'm not sure I even remember that Eurovision one!
    Bazzi was a lovely song and Camila sounds lush on it, good choice. Also a big fan of those indie pop hits by Imagina Dragons and Panic!
    AWS stood out quite a bit among the other Eurovision songs, as metal (or any kind of rock) is pretty rare there. It's definitely not as catchy as something like "Fuego", though!

I'm glad to hear you liked all those songs. "Beautiful" made up a bit for the chart performance of "Mine" (which deserved more than just one week at #5). And I agree, I prefer the version with Camila to the original.

Legend
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2018, 00:47

Really enjoy these songs in the latest groups. Happy with "Chlorine" being so high, as it's one of my faves on "Trench". Love "Fuego" the most of them all

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2018, 01:06

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike

Really enjoy these songs in the latest groups. Happy with "Chlorine" being so high, as it's one of my faves on "Trench". Love "Fuego" the most of them all
    Great to hear you liked so many songs!

"Chlorine" was a very positive surprise for me – while I liked the other two songs that charted from "Trench", this was clearly my favorite of the three and I'd say the best I had heard from them since "Heathens". Which scored the same points total as "Chlorine" (though it spent three weeks at #1), meaning that only "Ride" scored more points!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2018, 02:29

Right before the top five, easily the weirdest batch in the year-end (not that the ones remaining are the typical chart hits either)...

10. Rebecca Shoichet, Ashleigh Ball, Shannon Chan-Kent, Andrea Libman & Kazumi Evans: School of Friendship
    22 points - peak position: 1 - 7 weeks

Another song from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (like I said, a lot of these appeared on my chart). This one is more musicalish in style, with choir vocals. Another rather memorable song!

9. Anssi Kela: Ilves

23 points - peak position: 2 - 8 weeks

The highest-scoring Finnish-language song ever in the top five. While the competition at the time was too strong for it to reach #1, it spent three weeks as runner-up. Unusually for a mainstream hit (it topped the Finnish airplay chart months after it appeared on my chart), its lyrics tell an interesting and tragic story. Reminiscent of his songs from the early 2000s, the song is one of the few chart hits that really impressed me this year.

8. Rebecca Shoichet, Ashleigh Ball, Kazumi Evans, Shannon Chan-Kent & Andrea Libman: Flawless

In 2018: 26 points - peak position: 2 - 9 weeks
    Full chart run: 78 points - peak position: 1 (6 weeks) - 21 weeks

Already #2 in the 2017 year-end, this MLP song broke the record for most weeks at number one and highest point total ever. These records would however be broken by another song, which will not be revealed yet...

7. Michelle Creber, Claire Corlett & Arielle Tuliao: Your Heart Is in Two Places

27 points - peak position: 2 - 12 weeks

Another song from a cartoon I don't think I even have to mention the title of anymore. This song became the most successful song in the history of the setg1 top five not to reach #1, being runner-up for two weeks behind a huge smash hit... Another nice song with different parts for the three characters singing, the opening part being my favorite.

6. Lukas Graham: Off to See the World

27 points - peak position: 1 - 8 weeks

Lukas Graham's "7 Years" appeared at #4 on the first setg1 top five ever back in December 2015, but it would definitely have been a #1 if the chart had been around a couple of months earlier... The band finally made up for missing out on a huge hit with this. Their contribution to My Little Pony: The Movie (what a surprise!) was this great pop song. While it was only played in the movie during the end credits, it easily outperformed the other song on the soundtrack by a popular artist in streaming... But did that happen on the setg1 top five?

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2018, 03:03

And on to the top five...

5. Bruno Mars & Cardi B: Finesse
    27 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 8 weeks

Something of a surprise hit, as neither artist had charted on the top five before this song. Bruno would most likely have made it a couple of times had the chart existed earlier, but for Cardi it was genuinely the first time, her first songs not having impressed me particularly. It was the most successful song in the early parts of the year, even leading the year-to-date points for a while.

Like a few other songs in the year-end, this song could easily be much older based on its sound (which, once again, is a good thing). The addition of Cardi actually improves on the original version, giving the song a bit of energy missing from the original. Definitely one of the highlights of the year!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2018, 17:45

4. Sia: I'm Still Here
    29 points - peak position: 1 (3 weeks) - 7 weeks

Sia's second appearance in the year-end. This song would probably have taken #2 had the year not ended too soon for it, and it is likely to score many more points next year, having ended the year at the top. Also very likely to become Sia's most successful song on the top five in a week or two!

A very good pop song with the chorus being the highlight. That it had no significant chart success anywhere is a big mystery to me – I found this one of her strongest songs to date.