Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2018, 19:06

I love I’m Still Here! A surprise from Sia this year

Superstar
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2018, 21:03

I like "Finesse" and good to see "Sick Boy", too.

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sun December 30th, 2018, 00:53

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    I love I’m Still Here! A surprise from Sia this year
    Definitely a great song! Sia has been one of the most impressive singers in the last few years – "I'm Still Here" was her fifth hit on the top five, and she has had several others I've liked too!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyONE
    I like "Finesse" and good to see "Sick Boy", too.
    I'm glad you liked those two! "Sick Boy" deserved to have more chart success, but fortunately at least the Nordic countries appreciated it!

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Sun December 30th, 2018, 17:12

Finesse has been a loooooot more popular than I expected this year. I can bop to it though, I'm not mad!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 00:01

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    Finesse has been a loooooot more popular than I expected this year. I can bop to it though, I'm not mad!
    I'm glad you like it! It did quite well indeed... but the most surprising thing about it to me was Cardi B getting a #1 on my chart! Her first couple of hits hadn't impressed me at all, though she's had better since...

Legend
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 00:04

40. Years & Years: Sanctify
    Such a beautiful song.

35. Eleni Foureira: Fuego
    26. AWS: Viszlát nyár
    It's great to see 2 ESC entries.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 01:09

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    40. Years & Years: Sanctify
    Such a beautiful song.

35. Eleni Foureira: Fuego
    26. AWS: Viszlát nyár
    It's great to see 2 ESC entries.
    Great to see more love for "Sanctify"! A rare case of a song from my top five making it to #1 on the UKmixPARADE... "I'm Still Here" was another one but I think those were the only ones this year.

Eurovision songs had more success than before. Two years ago, I had none charting, and last year's two ("Occidentali's Karma" and "Dance Alone") scored fewer points than the two this year.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 01:32

3. Sia: Rainbow
    33 points - peak position: 1 (3 weeks) - 10 weeks

And Sia does the unexpected by placing two songs in the year-end top five! One of the many My Little Pony songs on the year-end and the higher of the two of them performed by a mainstream artist, beating Lukas Graham by three positions.

A beautiful song which I first heard late last year, but another listen months later made me like it a lot more, finally allowing it to chart. Three weeks at #1 during a heavily competitive period emphasizes how Sia's highest scoring song (at least for one more week) deserved its impressive year-end position!

Legend
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

by » Tue January 1st, 2019, 15:45

6. Lukas Graham: Off to See the World
    5. Bruno Mars & Cardi B: Finesse

Liking these two from the Top10 so far. Excited to see the remaining ones

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Tue January 1st, 2019, 18:06

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    6. Lukas Graham: Off to See the World
    5. Bruno Mars & Cardi B: Finesse

Liking these two from the Top10 so far. Excited to see the remaining ones
    I'm glad to hear you liked those tracks! Two of the relatively few tracks on my top five that were also charted by other users – Lukas Graham even got a second top 20 hit on the UKmixPARADE with this!

My top two won't be very well known (and I'm not sure how much appeal they'll have to others), but I'll post them soon!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Tue January 1st, 2019, 22:32

And I did say the chart was going to be a bit weird at times!

2. Rachel Bloom: A Kirin Tale
    35 points - peak position: 1 (3 weeks) - 9 weeks

And another song from that one cartoon! The vocals are beautiful, which also applies to the rest of the song (in spite of some humorous moments being included too). Not a song I'd have expected to see so high, but its chart run was boosted slightly by its appearance during a quiet phase in the top five... But that's not to take anything away from it – at a time when better songs often appear in cartoons than on pop charts (my opinion, of course), this is one of the examples!

Legend
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 05:41

"High Hopes" was a pleasantly surprising big hit in the US. It grew on me a bit.

I absolutely adore "Finesse"; it was my early 24K Magic fave, and has remained as such. I like that Cardi B was added to the remix, as she does bring a new energy to the track and I love their look in the video, but I still prefer the original.

Quote Originally Posted by setg1
    I listened to "Sanctify" for the first time in months, and it's better than I remembered! I still prefer "Meteorite", though – it's my favorite by them.
    Glad "Sanctify" sounds better for you! "Meteorite" is my second fave from them.
    Do we settle for the world as it is, or do we work for the world as it should be?

Akini's Top 100 Drag Race Queens: [#1 Revealed!]

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 19:32

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    "High Hopes" was a pleasantly surprising big hit in the US. It grew on me a bit.

I absolutely adore "Finesse"; it was my early 24K Magic fave, and has remained as such. I like that Cardi B was added to the remix, as she does bring a new energy to the track and I love their look in the video, but I still prefer the original.

Glad "Sanctify" sounds better for you! "Meteorite" is my second fave from them.
    I'm glad to see "High Hopes" perform so well – Panic! at the Disco is not the typical top ten act these days!

I didn't hear "Finesse" until the single release myself. I prefer the Cardi version myself, though maybe it has something to do with me hearing that version first. For me, it's the end part of the song where she adds the most to it, rather than her own verse.

Great to hear you share my favorites from them – the #1 and #2 are the other way around, but otherwise, those are also the best two I've heard from them.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 19:37

And so, it's time for the #1... which is not quite the typical year-end #1!

1. Andrea Libman: So Much More to Me
    135 points - peak position: 1 (13 weeks) - 36 weeks

Considering how many of the previous songs were also from the series, it might not come as a huge surprise that also the number one song is from My Little Pony... That seven of the songs in the top ten originated in a cartoon might show not only the impressiveness of said songs but more so how unimpressed I was with a lot of the more mainstream music in 2018. However, I actually consider this a deserved number one for multiple reasons.

Firstly, the song shattered essentially all the records existing in the setg1 top five. Outscoring the #2 of the year by exactly a hundred points is incredible, but it also outscored the all-time #2 by 57. It also spent 13 weeks at #1 (the previous record having been 6) and ten at #2 (never achieved by any other song either). Having debuted in April, it stayed on the chart right until the end of the year, only dropping out on the first chart of 2019. The 36-week run is thirteen more than the previous record!

As for the quality of the song, it's rather short in duration, but a beautiful song definitely worth a listen! It's hard to explain, but something about the melody is amazing, and the vocals are a perfect fit. Perhaps not the typical year-end #1 but definitely a standout for me in a somewhat weak year in music!

I hope you enjoyed the year-end countdown in spite of all the weird entries at the top of the chart. Let's see what surprises 2019 brings! Thanks for all the comments!

Legend
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Do we settle for the world as it is, or do we work for the world as it should be?

Akini's Top 100 Drag Race Queens: [#1 Revealed!]

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Wed January 2nd, 2019, 22:02

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Your #1 is cute. Very cute!
    Thanks! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes it! It will probably hold those records it broke for some time...

Legend
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

by » Thu January 3rd, 2019, 14:16

My top two won't be very well known (and I'm not sure how much appeal they'll have to others), but I'll post them soon!
    You were right - I'm not familiar with your Top2. Have to check them out later...

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Fri January 4th, 2019, 04:26

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    You were right - I'm not familiar with your Top2. Have to check them out later...
    I hope you like them! Especially the #1 is worth a listen!