Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 181

Thread: Heppolo Top Of 2018

  1. #51
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 13:15



    #90 Roni Alter - Devil's calling
    This comes without a warning...
    #89 ROS - Proiettile
    Italian music is unpredictable and can also do female pop/rock quite well.
    #88 Echo Ladies - Bedroom
    Say hello to the shoegazers of the new age.
    #87 Cme - On Ira
    French indie folk turned up to 11.
    #86 Fufanu - Tokyo
    Icelandic boys can also do post-punk and they are doing it right.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  2. #52
    urbanmusik's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    15 Sep 2006
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    22,220
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 13:20

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    #94 Suki Waterhouse - Valentine
    Suki is not just an actress or model, she is also a singer. This doesn't really come across as Lana Del Rey-ish, but more like Mazzy Star meets The Sundays.
    I didn't release Suki sang! It might as well sound Lana Del Rey-ish since Lana also sounded like Mazzy Star this year.

    The only song I know from the top 200 is by Hatchie. Though I'm a fan of the Kelsey Lu and Lido tracks from the missed section.

    Hoping to see Lil Pump charting high.

  3. #53
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 13:59

    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmusik
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    #94 Suki Waterhouse - Valentine
    Suki is not just an actress or model, she is also a singer. This doesn't really come across as Lana Del Rey-ish, but more like Mazzy Star meets The Sundays.
    I didn't release Suki sang! It might as well sound Lana Del Rey-ish since Lana also sounded like Mazzy Star this year.

    The only song I know from the top 200 is by Hatchie. Though I'm a fan of the Kelsey Lu and Lido tracks from the missed section.

    Hoping to see Lil Pump charting high.
    Lana is like halfway Mazzy Star, Suki's going harder.
    Thank you for the feedback!
    Lil Pump is bigger than this top.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  4. #54

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 14:15

    I swear I've seen Balthazar's song in your chart in the middle of the year or sth. That's a veeeeeeery alternative choice, it seems that mine about dance music in particular is the same type.
    I am too lazy to give this thing a set of cosy fonts and nice images, so I probably won't have much feedback but anyways.
    How is it called laziness to make a top 200?! Yeah, this presentation is fun, I can't disagree...
    Happy summer Top 10 - 13.09.2019!

  5. #55
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 14:37



    #85 The Exploding Eyes Orchestra - Harmain
    Now here's a depressing gothic psychedelia from Finland.
    #84 Salvador Sobral - Cerca del Mar
    He's reborn and ready to experiment with his sound.
    #83 Spit Chewy - Jimmy
    ''Jimmy'' is an example of how Pixies' formula can work in 2018.
    #82 Fancies - Tropicale
    A very summer-y indie pop song that went down my list as the time went by. The moment when the crowd breaks into an awkward dance routine in this music video cracked me up.
    #81 Vundabar - Acetone
    Finally some indie rock that might seem catchy even to an outsider.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  6. #56
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 14:40

    Quote Originally Posted by Top10
    I swear I've seen Balthazar's song in your chart in the middle of the year or sth.
    Well, Balthazar spend some days in my chart, hence why they made the end of year list
    Quote Originally Posted by Top10
    That's a veeeeeeery alternative choice, it seems that mine about dance music in particular is the same type.
    We just have to do this , otherwise there would only be Drake/Ariana Grande//Calvin Harris on #1 everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top10
    I am too lazy to give this thing a set of cosy fonts and nice images, so I probably won't have much feedback but anyways.
    How is it called laziness to make a top 200?! Yeah, this presentation is fun, I can't disagree...
    I could have put more effort in the design and fonts tbh

    Thank you so much for the feedback, I hope you'll check something and find 1-2 songs that you might like.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  7. #57
    Carbon's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    19 Jul 2013
    Location
    Zero Point
    Posts
    24,962
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 14:43

    #81 Vundabar - Acetone - well, it's definitely very indie rock. reminds me of what I used to listen to and like, but not anymore. Something a la Vaccines

  8. #58

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 14:51

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    We just have to do this , otherwise there would only be Drake/Ariana Grande//Calvin Harris on #1 everywhere.
    This is the main reason why I started my top 10, there's lots of good music which was actual and popular 15-20 years ago but almost no one, except the biggest fans, checks it out now.
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    Thank you so much for the feedback, I hope you'll check something and find 1-2 songs that you might like.
    Here comes the first - Salvador Sobral, he expressed such strong feelings through this song that I think it's a little bit better than 'Amar Pelos Dois'.
    Happy summer Top 10 - 13.09.2019!

  9. #59
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 15:02

    Quote Originally Posted by Top10
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    We just have to do this , otherwise there would only be Drake/Ariana Grande//Calvin Harris on #1 everywhere.
    This is the main reason why I started my top 10, there's lots of good music which was actual and popular 15-20 years ago but almost no one, except the biggest fans, checks it out now.
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    Thank you so much for the feedback, I hope you'll check something and find 1-2 songs that you might like.
    Here comes the first - Salvador Sobral, he expressed such strong feelings through this song that I think it's a little bit better than 'Amar Pelos Dois'.
    If you like indie dance music, please, check my #127 andhim feat. Hgni - Stay Close To Me, you might like it.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  10. #60
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 15:06

    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    #81 Vundabar - Acetone - well, it's definitely very indie rock. reminds me of what I used to listen to and like, but not anymore. Something a la Vaccines
    Thank you so much, You can also check out some poppier tunes, when you find the time (bold - pure pop):
    #110 BowLand - Don't Stop Me
    #108 Harry Parsons - Friends
    #106 Cari Cari - Summer Sun
    #100 Soleima - Low Life
    #91 Veronica Maggio - 20 Questions
    Two instrumental ones have already appeared here as well:
    #97 Hang Massive - The Secret Kissing of the Sun and Moon
    #93 Peter Sandberg Motion
    Waffles are checked cookies

  11. #61
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 15:35



    #80 Prada Meinhoff - Stress
    They could be bass champs and I am not talking about fishing.
    #79 Lucie,Too - Egoist
    The new generation of japanese indie girlbands continues the glorious tradition of Shonen Knife (Nirvana and Kurt Cobain's faves). That Snail Mail poster in the music video is also cute.
    #78 Mni Orrason - Picture I Recall
    Pretty boy singing some song. Relatively laid-back.
    #77 Sarah Mary Chadwick - Sugar Still Melts In The Rain
    What a voice. So much for the dark cabaret.
    #76 Leyya - Wannabe
    Amusing music video accompanies the poppiest song in my chart so far.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  12. #62
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 17:31



    #75 Tokyo Taboo - No Pleasure Only Pain
    Female-fronted rock acts dominate my chart this year.
    #74 Black Mirrors - Gnther Kimmich
    This entry has solid and powerful riffs with strong and Marcella's vocal lines that go beyond the stoner rock delivery.
    #73 Ink. - Fever
    This should have been higher on my chart, but I've grown slightly tired of it. But it's really well-produced for an indie rock.
    #72 Radiant Children - Life's A Bitch
    One of the more underrated pop acts of 2018.
    #71 Panda Lux - Beuteltier
    Weird electro song. Somewhat catchy.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  13. #63
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 18:03



    #70 I Giocattoli - Ailovi
    Italy has talent. This girl-boy duo is pretty vibrant.
    #69 Sem&Stnn - You, Your Friend, Another Guy
    80s synthpop vibes.
    #68 October - Body Of Desire
    Here's the more modern take on synthpop.
    #67 Ctlin Mgi - Koka nokast
    The talented artist has a harp, a flute and a looper and transforms the set into something really different.
    #66 Amor Blitz - Antidote
    Dynamic indie rock/indie pop song. The rhythm and hi-hats keep you pumped, guitar arpeggios also fit the mood.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  14. #64
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 19:08



    #65 Saint Agnes - The Witching Hour
    Dark gothic rock'n'roll swag.
    #64 Myrkur - Juniper
    Darkfolk evolves into metal in this. Myrkur is the brainchild of danish composer, vocalist, part-time model and classically trained multi-instrumentalist Amalie Bruun
    #63 Seed to Tree - I Wouldn't Mind
    It is going to be hard for Luxembourgian acts to top this for years to come, I guess.
    #62 Virginia Wing - The Second Shift
    Like listening to a broken Kate Bush record and watching the music video through a kaleidoscope. But the whole thing feels great.
    #61 Calva Louise - Outrageous
    This powerpop sound is a bit 10 years ago, but it seems to be part of the charm, La la laughing all the way to the bank.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  15. #65

  16. #66
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 20:48



    #60 Chevalrex - Bonjour, c'est moi
    The cuteness of the music video, the twee nature of the song simply overwhelmed me when I first heard it.
    #59 Ravages - Renaissance
    Low budget music video for a very intense indie pop song.
    #58 River Into Lake - Downstairs
    This has just been released (December 28, 2018). Basically a tutorial on how to make a cinematic music video for nothing.
    #57 Mela Koteluk - Ogniwo
    Despite the fact that this song is in Polish, you can really compare the melodic structure of Mela's music to, for example, Anna Calvi. This song really bypasses any language barriers.
    #56 Agar Agar - Sorry About The Carpet
    Entertaining. Also features the brilliant lyrical content like ''There is a hole in my sock, but I can live with it''
    Waffles are checked cookies

  17. #67
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 20:51

    Quote Originally Posted by Blondini
    The pics are crazy.

    Yay Hatchie. Big contender for my top position.
    I wish I had this sense of humour to draw funny cartoons myself, but I just don't have enough skills and imagination to do sketches.
    Quite surprising to hear that Hatchie is aiming so big this year in your awesome personal chart. I would guess it's a top 10.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  18. #68
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 22:14



    #55 Analog Balaton - 0112
    Now this is eclectic. I can't really say whether it's indie, pop or electronic. Something in-between, I guess.
    #54 Kadebostany - Save Me
    One of the biggest Swiss pop exports.
    #53 Lavon Volski - ?nik?yja ludzi
    The only Belarusian entry in my top 200 this year. Lavon is a rock legend in Belarus, the song is called ''?nik?yja ludzi'' or ''Missing People'' and tells how not only the time, but people we know and love pass us by.
    #52 Marmozets - Run With The Rhythm
    It's hard to say whether it's their best song, but I love the chorus so much. I can draw some comparisons to The Joy Formidable music.
    #51 Blanche et Noir - Insomnie
    French alternative rock/post-grunge, but are you surprised?
    Waffles are checked cookies

  19. #69
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 22:29

    #50 Long Tall Jefferson - Yonder Is A Mountain
    Country: Switzerland
    Genre: Indie Folk
    On the surface it might seem like a casual indie folk song, but there's a mountain right behind the singer in the music video so how can you not relate.

    Waffles are checked cookies

  20. #70
    HC55555's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    27 Sep 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    2,517
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 22:32

    I literally don't know any of these songs Is there a weekly ranking/playlist from you I could follow so I discover new music in the next year? It's kind of too late to listen all this new music, but I'm glad I discovered thanks to you The Ting Tings ARE BACK! Their debut era was epic to me, they went downhill from there but they still have a place in my heart.

    Also knew IIRIS thanks to last FSC, but other than that I don't know any artist. Hope to see an Argentinian entry somewhere Latin America exists and it's not all reggaeton!!

  21. #71
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 22:33

    #49 Mermaidens - Fade
    Country: New Zealand
    Genre: Dream Pop, Shoegazing
    Flying Nun Records can't let go on their dream pop legacy, they need new generations to keep it intact.

    Waffles are checked cookies

  22. #72
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 22:36

    Quote Originally Posted by HC55555
    I literally don't know any of these songs Is there a weekly ranking/playlist from you I could follow so I discover new music in the next year? It's kind of too late to listen all this new music, but I'm glad I discovered thanks to you The Ting Tings ARE BACK! Their debut era was epic to me, they went downhill from there but they still have a place in my heart.

    Also knew IIRIS thanks to last FSC, but other than that I don't know any artist. Hope to see an Argentinian entry somewhere Latin America exists and it's not all reggaeton!!
    I have a daily chart and a monthly annual top 20 (you can type ''annual'' in my daily chart and see the top 20 for january, february, march and the rest of 2018 till november). Most of those songs made it in the yearly list as well, some positions have changed.
    Make Mama Proud (my #104) is from Argentina.
    Thank you for stopping by, I hope you'll enjoy something.
    Waffles are checked cookies

  23. #73
    trebor's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    01 Aug 2014
    Posts
    14,677
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 22:40

    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    #50 Long Tall Jefferson - Yonder Is A Mountain
    Country: Switzerland
    Genre: Indie Folk
    On the surface it might seem like a casual indie folk song, but there's a mountain right behind the singer in the music video so how can you not relate.
    Holy cow! What a hipster you are.
    Great, great choice (NB: just like Kadebostany he's virtually unknown here)

  24. #74
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 22:56

    #48 Shortparis - ???????
    Country: Russia
    Genre: Indietronica, Post-punk revival
    A very controversial and provocative music video dealing with the political issues in modern Russia and beyond. It hasn't been banned in Russia yet, so here's the link.

    Shortparis - ???????
    Waffles are checked cookies

  25. #75
    heppolo's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    17 May 2009
    Location
    interchangeable
    Posts
    26,789
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

    by Sat December 29th, 2018, 22:59

    Quote Originally Posted by trebor
    Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    #50 Long Tall Jefferson - Yonder Is A Mountain
    Country: Switzerland
    Genre: Indie Folk
    On the surface it might seem like a casual indie folk song, but there's a mountain right behind the singer in the music video so how can you not relate.
    Holy cow! What a hipster you are.
    Great, great choice (NB: just like Kadebostany he's virtually unknown here)
    Thank you
    Panda Lux (my #71) is also from Switzerland and I have one more Swiss act in the bag still to come
    Waffles are checked cookies

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •