Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MRK 2018 End of Year Chart

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 12:48

7 [1] SATIN JACKETS, EMMA BRAMMER – TAKE IT FROM ME click for video

To the second and final appearance for Tim Bernhardt who is Satin Jackets and probably wins the best artist award this year, having had 4 songs in the Top 10 (as I type ‘Lost in Japan’ is waiting in the lower regions of the Weekly Chart, ready to pounce after Christmas and best-of 2018 tracks leave. I found this particular song to have a 70s retro quality about it – both musically and vocally. Emma Brammer’s quiet soulful voice gives it a lovely understated quality and makes it not just another song about a failed relationship.

Legend
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 12:49

Parcels ''Tieduprightnow'' is so very Bee Gees.
    Waffles are checked cookies

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 13:22

6 [1] DUKE DUMONT, EBENEZER - INHALE click for video

Duke Dumont managed #10 in last year’s EOY chart with ‘Real Life’, so goes 4 better this year. ‘Inhale’ sung by Nocturnal R&B (?) artist Ebenezer was clearly aimed at the commercial market and features a bizarre video of a human survival race to leave work on time, while a cuddly sloth (who could resist a sloth) sneaks past everyone and wins the only place in the lift. As much mainstream as it sounded it actually did not chart in the UK but 6th place is not bad for a song which only managed a week at #1 here.

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 14:21

5 [1] IZNIIK - ENERGY click for vid

"So we’re gonna bring the music" is the opening line to this track from the enigma who is Izniik. He has certainly brought something because ‘Energy’ has spent the last 7 weeks of 2018 at the top of the chart, which is an amazing feat for a debut. I absolutely love the bridge of this track and the way it builds towards the electro instrumental chorus. And it knows it’s on to a good thing because it only gives you two bites of the cherry. ‘Energy’ is part of an 5-track EP, the 3rd he has released in a year and Spotify suggested it to me, and I love them for it. He is apparently a Future R&B artist, I’m learning about all sorts of new genres this year .

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 14:23

4 [2] CALVIN HARRIS, DUA LIPA - ONE KISS click for video

And here is the biggest commercial success of the year on the chart from Calvin Harris who has appeared 4 times in the EOY Top 40, that is out of a possible 6. ‘One Kiss’ is the highest charting song for him (‘This Is What You Came For’ finished 6th in 2016). And what a great year for Dua Lipa with her second appearance in the Top 20. I think it’s safe to say this song was a popular one for loads of UKmixers, perhaps due to its slick production and rising popularity of Dua Lipa. For Calvin, his 2nd big commercial success was ‘Promises’ but that failed to make its mark and ends up at #154 (ouch) on the 2018 EOY!

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 17:33

SHIFT K3Y – ONLY YOU click for video
    This year the Bronze trophy goes to this chap - the brilliant Shift K3Y who is here making some amazing music. What’s this got? Melodic piano house, punchy basslines, soulful vocals, great sampling, builds well – it’s got everything it needs and more. Like Duke Dumont this was undoubtedly aimed at the commercial market and missed the mainstream charts entirely, but that doesn’t matter (I don’t do mainstream ). This song holds the title for most number of weeks in the Weekly Chart, managing to remain inside the Top 75 for 28 weeks (or over half of the year). And he sung the vocals himself too.

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 17:49

CHRISTINE & THE QUEENS, DAM-FUNK - GIRLFRIEND click for video
    Here is the second best song of 2018 from Christine & the Queens after a hugely successful 25-week chart run in which she spent 4 weeks at #1 and 6 weeks at #2. It was her second single to chart after ‘Tilted’ reached the Top 20 in 2016. And she really shifted a few gears on this, collaborating with Dam Funk (Damon Riddick) to produce a heavily R&B-infused slice of pop, combining many of my favourite elements including funky guitars and elongated strings. The choreography in the video was also sheer brilliance and really helped promote the song to another level. She released other tracks which also charted but this was clearly the most outstanding of them all for me. A really well deserved second place.

by » Mon December 31st, 2018, 19:59

FRIENDLY FIRES – LOVE LIKE WAVES click for video
    To this year’s Best Song of 2018, yes it’s one of my most listened bands of all time, Friendly Fires. I knew they were reforming and that material was on the way. So when they popped up on my YouTube with this I was very excited. And it did not disappoint me one bit. From the opening fade in strings and the bands unmistakable intro vocal I was hooked. Then it exploded into steel drums and uplifting keyboards and I was all over the place. There are plenty of superbly brilliant moments in this: the guitar break at the end of verse 2, the way it builds towards the steel drum middle eight section, the overlaying squeaky electronica over the latter part of the middle eight section, Ed’s amazing falsetto, the crescendo at the end and the way it fades out. I’m literally listening to it as I type and I have goosebumps.

When it was released it came with a lyric video consisting of clouds moving across a sky. That video worked really well as the cloud images moved and shifted with the track. When they actually released an official video for it I was a bit disappointed, they took out some major parts of the song – the middle eight bit disappeared entirely :-S grrrrr. But I guess they had to make some edits somewhere to appeal to the mainstream a bit, the full version clocking in at 4m30s. It was a phenomenal chart success spending 20 weeks inside the Top 75 and with 8 of those at #1 it was always going to be difficult for anything else to beat it.

Thank you Friendly Fires for making my year :smile: x 100000000000000.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Tue January 1st, 2019, 13:26

Yay, I really like that Friendly Fires track, one of my songs of the summer! The Christine one is really funky too, good shouts!

Legend
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

by » Tue January 1st, 2019, 13:34

No.1 and No.2 are both very good.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Tue January 1st, 2019, 15:44

11 [1] SILK CITY, DUA LIPA, DIPLO, MARK RONSON - ELECTRICITY
    4 [2] CALVIN HARRIS, DUA LIPA - ONE KISS