100. Louisa featuring 2Chainz - YES
    99. Saara Aalto - Monsters
    98. George Ezra - Hold my Girl
    97. Demi Lovato - Sober
    96. Camila Cabello - She loves control
    95. Kerli - Savages
    94. Lukas Graham - Love someone
    92. Janet Jackson & Daddy Yankee - Made for now

"YES" is such a bop and should have been at least a moderate hit for Louisa in the UK.
    "Monsters" is fantastic, definitely a highlight of 2018 for me.
    Shocked how "Sober" already falls out that low, as I thought it would be much higher on your countdown. Looking back at it, this was actually a bigger song to me than I thought it was. It's one of the songs which keeps on being stuck in my head these days...

"She Loves Control" should have been a single, definitely the highlight of the remaining album tracks. Glad you're giving it a spot on your list.
    "Love Someone" is cute, could be a potential hit in 2019 IMO. "Made For Now" and "Hold My Girl" are both nice.

My personal highlight here is obviously Kerli It's quite impressive that she's already able to make your list after just a few weeks. Especially compared to songs like "Monsters" and "Sober" which felt like big hits... so, so happy about that! Also love how you're saying 'it's everyone's favourite estonian songstress Kerli' <3

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by » Fri January 4th, 2019, 18:18

This should be a good one!

Monsters is quite the pop jam. I honestly thought she would smash Eurovision. In fact, even listening to it now I am still surprised she underperformed so badly. I mean, it has Euro hit written all over it Instead we ended up with that noise winning, probably the worst song I have heard this year.

The George Ezra song is rather pleasant. I always thought he would be a one-album-wonder, but he seems to be doing very well with her second record. Good for him!

The Demi song is very touching when you know what happened almost right after it's release. Wow.

My favourite so far is the Janet song though. Soo summery and catchy. Great comeback.
    i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by » Fri January 4th, 2019, 19:18

Back and Forth is an utter banger, I love me some Becky Hill.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Mon January 7th, 2019, 22:15

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    "Made for Now" is lovely. I think I used "joyous" to describe it, too.
    I read that Janet Jackson is gonna be inducted into the 2019 rock n' roll hall of fame. With the ceremony taking place on Friday 29th March so i'm curious to see if they're planning on releasing a new single, or maybe album around that time. With all the added exposure and media coverage, it would be a great time to release something new - even if it is a new single.

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    Damn, I feel like I will have to quote like at least 90% of your countdown
    So far, I like...

100. Louisa featuring 2Chainz - YES
    99. Saara Aalto - Monsters
    98. George Ezra - Hold my Girl
    97. Demi Lovato - Sober
    96. Camila Cabello - She loves control
    95. Kerli - Savages
    94. Lukas Graham - Love someone
    92. Janet Jackson & Daddy Yankee - Made for now

"YES" is such a bop and should have been at least a moderate hit for Louisa in the UK.
    "Monsters" is fantastic, definitely a highlight of 2018 for me.
    Shocked how "Sober" already falls out that low, as I thought it would be much higher on your countdown. Looking back at it, this was actually a bigger song to me than I thought it was. It's one of the songs which keeps on being stuck in my head these days...

"She Loves Control" should have been a single, definitely the highlight of the remaining album tracks. Glad you're giving it a spot on your list.
    "Love Someone" is cute, could be a potential hit in 2019 IMO. "Made For Now" and "Hold My Girl" are both nice.

My personal highlight here is obviously Kerli It's quite impressive that she's already able to make your list after just a few weeks. Especially compared to songs like "Monsters" and "Sober" which felt like big hits... so, so happy about that! Also love how you're saying 'it's everyone's favourite estonian songstress Kerli' <3
    LOL i wonder if one year i could make that 100% of my countdown. Ahh yes i knew you would be delighted at Kerli making an appearance and she racked up enough points to make the year end chart. I did read your comment though in the pop forum questioning what was going on. Was there ever meant to be a video for Savages? Sometimes songs can end up getting an official music video months after release.

Haha well on UK Mix it's fair to say that Kerli is one of Estonia's biggest and more established singers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan
    This should be a good one!

Monsters is quite the pop jam. I honestly thought she would smash Eurovision. In fact, even listening to it now I am still surprised she underperformed so badly. I mean, it has Euro hit written all over it Instead we ended up with that noise winning, probably the worst song I have heard this year.

The George Ezra song is rather pleasant. I always thought he would be a one-album-wonder, but he seems to be doing very well with her second record. Good for him!

The Demi song is very touching when you know what happened almost right after it's release. Wow.

My favourite so far is the Janet song though. Soo summery and catchy. Great comeback.
    I really wanted Saara to do well but i still think the backing singers should've had their microphone levels lowered so that it was Saara's vocals that shone. Aww i was a bit downhearted initially about Netta winning but what it is, Toy is a catchy novelty song. Since it peaked at #15 in my chart it's safe to say Netta hasn't made my top 100.

After Don't matter now flopped in 2017 i reckon many people were ready to write off George Ezra before he even released his second album. It's still fascinating how he turned it around so spectacularly in 2018 but i'm so happy for him.

Yes Made for now was definitely one of 2018's big pop moments that seemed to bring many people together in agreement. Like i just mentioned above, i'm curious to see if Janet and her team have anything planned for March to celebrate Janet's induction into the rock & roll hall of fame as it's a very prestigious accolade to have.

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    Back and Forth is an utter banger, I love me some Becky Hill.
    Me too, Becky has got such an amazing smoky tone to her voice and she sounds so good on dance tracks. I can't really explain it but they blend so well together.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Mon January 7th, 2019, 22:29

90. Aretha Franklin - I say a little prayer

On 16th August 2018, the world lost a living legend and musical icon as the late Aretha Franklin sadly passed away.

In honour and memory of her incredible career and extraordinary talent I say a little prayer for you became a posthumous chart entry.

Aretha's legacy will live on forever. <3

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Mon January 7th, 2019, 22:46

89. Ellie Goulding, Diplo & Swae Lee - Close to me

Ellie Goulding returned in November with new single Close to me and on first listen, i genuinely thought this was gonna be a big chart hit. However, that didn't turn out to be the case in the UK. It was a different story in my chart where despite peaking at #7 Close to me ended up having a fairly substantial chart run.

I still think Ellie's little giggle at 0:15 during the first verse is so cute. (even though its a blink and you'll miss it type of giggle )

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Mon January 7th, 2019, 22:59

88. Carrie Underwood - Love wins

Carrie Underwood gets her first of two appearances in my year end chart at #88 with the gloriously anthemic Love wins. The song got to #3 in September and admittedly, it pretty much benefitted from a quiet week. However, just when it looked like this song was heading for the exit, the official music video came along a few days later. The standard "music video effect" actually boosted the song and ultimately helped to prevent Carrie from disappearing completely from my top 20.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Mon January 7th, 2019, 23:28

87. Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse

One of the first major releases in 2018 came from Bruno Mars who teamed up with Cardi B to release a new remixed version of his track Finesse. It wasn't quite the instant smash for me instead taking several weeks before peaking at #5.

As for the music video, when i first checked it out i was loving the retro 90s vibes despite the fact its concept was totally wasted on me. Having never heard of In living color i decided to check it out for myself on YouTube and some of the old clips are hilarious.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by » Mon January 7th, 2019, 23:37

Close To Me hasn't done too badly, I like it a lot!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Mon January 7th, 2019, 23:53

86. Halsey - Without me

After a couple of chart appearances over the last 2 years as a featured vocalist, Halsey finally scored herself a hit in her own right with the release of Without me.

I have to admit prior to Without me, Halsey was never one of those artists on my radar and with previous releases i never had the urge to check them out immediately. One major difference here though was the amount of airplay this particular track was getting in the UK on both radio and music channels. It was a slow burner for sure before eventually entering my chart and progressing each week as my love for the song continued to grow.

Without me is quite comfortably Halsey's most successful single to date so i'd imagine Halsey is only going to go from strength to strength in 2019.

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by » Tue January 8th, 2019, 16:20

This was probably my favourite Halsey moment so far too, it's weird how she doesn't seem big but is streamed to death here.

Legend
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Tue January 8th, 2019, 17:15

Quote Originally Posted by JakeP
    Well i don't think i'm the greatest designer in the world (compared to the banner Era designed for Tansike which is stunning <3 ) but i kinda felt awkward requesting someone to design a banner for me. I needed to improvise with that additional space and that was really the only thing i could of.
    Tansike's banner is pretty tough to beat, but I like how you show single covers a lot of love. Especially now that physical singles are basically dead and buried, single cover art doesn't seem to get much/any attention anymore. Some artists doesn't even seem to bother making them (like Ari for "Breathin"). :(

I totally agree with you about reality tv winners. Like you say, when they're performing every Saturday night for several weeks, its astonishing just how much people can become invested in the show and their own personal favourites. It's as if once they're no longer on tv, all those viewers suffer from reality tv amnesia or something and simply forget about them. Maybe for The x factor 2019 the eventual winner should be given their own prime time tv shoe that starts the day after the final, and then they're still in the public eye so they're not forgotten about overnight. (imagine if they did this but the winner had the personality of a cardboard cut out ).
    Brilliant! You're SO on-point with the "amnesia" remark too!

I really think its a shame that Louisa struggled so much with YES as, like Thriller says, its such an anthem. Sadly with Spotify so dominant the majority of users (teenage boys i guess) want to listen to urban music which just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. The irony is that these songs perform so badly on iTunes so clearly people aren't willing to actually buy these songs so songs that are showing a profit should be the ones peaking higher in the chart.
    I'd definitely be curious to see profit-based charts in more countries. Maybe not replacing the main charts (right away), but at least to have as a basis of comparison against the current formulas. As long as they bar any sort of concert-ticket-bundle-shenanigans, of course "Buy these $500 tickets to my show and a download code for my new single will be included!", so each one of those downloads = $500 toward the chart. :x

• Nice to see Daddy Yankee's contributions to "Made For Now" getting some credit, since others have regarded his presence as entirely superfluous on this track, though there's still no mistaking that Janet's the star of the show It's a shame that she went completely quiet again after its promotion cycle ended, but hopefully we'll hear from her sometime in 2019...
    • Sweet of you to honor Aretha here :( Undoubtedly one of 2018's biggest celebrity losses.
    • I've still got mixed feelings about "Close To Me": Ellie's first verse is such instantly-infectious ear candy, but then the chorus is a bit of a let-down, and I'm not a huge fan of some of Swae's lines (it's just jarring to hear a guy saying "I had to cut my bitch off, she bein' stubborn" in the middle of an Ellie Goulding song) With all of that in mind, though, a No. 89 placement feels pretty fitting! I've read that there's an Ellie-only version out there, and I still need to track that down...
    • The "Finesse" remix + video were definitely some of the first big/buzzworthy musical moments of 2018! I'm glad it got Bruno back-on-track after "Versace..." (shockingly) under-performed basically everywhere.
    • Speaking of getting back-on-track, "Without Me" has really worked wonders for Halsey after some spotty single success throughout the Hopeless Fountain Kingdom era! It was officially crowned the newest Hot 100 No. 1 yesterday but, more importantly, I'm glad it won you over in a way that none of her previous singles had managed! I'm excited to see where she takes us next, since 2019 could be her biggest year yet!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Tue January 8th, 2019, 20:31

Close To Me hasn't done too badly, I like it a lot!
    It has proven to be more popular on Spotify despite the slow start. It's just a shame the UK charts have this acr rule so a number of songs have their chart run cut short purely because the song takes so long to steadily grow in popularity.

This was probably my favourite Halsey moment so far too, it's weird how she doesn't seem big but is streamed to death here.
    Astonishingly i found out yesterday that Halsey is the new #1 in the US billboard chart which is phenomenal. I would've expected one of Post Malone's latest tracks to be the next US #1...just because its the type of music the americans seem to love the most.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Tue January 8th, 2019, 20:56

86. Halsey - Without me
    I like it a little bit. Watched her on the TV (Victoria's Secret Fashion Show), it was a brilliant performance!
    Top 10 - 07.12.2019.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Tue January 8th, 2019, 21:09

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98
    Tansike's banner is pretty tough to beat, but I like how you show single covers a lot of love. Especially now that physical singles are basically dead and buried, single cover art doesn't seem to get much/any attention anymore. Some artists doesn't even seem to bother making them (like Ari for "Breathin"). :(
    There are still some lovely pieces of artwork created for singles but it does feel like the average Spotify user doesn't really care about the artwork as if its an after thought (if even that). :x I'll always be old skool (circa 00's era) when it comes to the charts though, i doubt that will ever change. I noticed some others using a cover for breathin which i'm guessing is fan made. The same happened with God is a woman, upon release it was part of the pre-order for the album on iTunes so the only artwork i saw was the album cover hence why the Sweetener cover appears twice in my banner. It would be so cool though if all singles were given official artwork covers rather than just the album cover.

Brilliant! You're SO on-point with the "amnesia" remark too!
    It is strange though how quickly people get over tv shows. Maybe these tv shows are just a means for convenience these days, like "there's nothing on the tv so i'll just watch The x factor".

I'd definitely be curious to see profit-based charts in more countries. Maybe not replacing the main charts (right away), but at least to have as a basis of comparison against the current formulas. As long as they bar any sort of concert-ticket-bundle-shenanigans, of course "Buy these $500 tickets to my show and a download code for my new single will be included!", so each one of those downloads = $500 toward the chart. :x
    My knowledge on this is rather sketchy but i'm sure i read a couple of years ago that the german charts are based on revenue figures. So if the song that's #1 on iTunes is discounted and the #1 on Spotify is purely there because of a large proportion of free users listening to the track, there's no guarantee it'll be the #1 in Germany that week.

Re; the ticket bundle scheme is that how the US album charts work? Didn't both P!nk and Niall Horan do a ticket bundle to help generate more sales and revenue, and that's how they got to #1?

• Nice to see Daddy Yankee's contributions to "Made For Now" getting some credit, since others have regarded his presence as entirely superfluous on this track, though there's still no mistaking that Janet's the star of the show It's a shame that she went completely quiet again after its promotion cycle ended, but hopefully we'll hear from her sometime in 2019...
    • Sweet of you to honor Aretha here :( Undoubtedly one of 2018's biggest celebrity losses.
    • I've still got mixed feelings about "Close To Me": Ellie's first verse is such instantly-infectious ear candy, but then the chorus is a bit of a let-down, and I'm not a huge fan of some of Swae's lines (it's just jarring to hear a guy saying "I had to cut my bitch off, she bein' stubborn" in the middle of an Ellie Goulding song) With all of that in mind, though, a No. 89 placement feels pretty fitting! I've read that there's an Ellie-only version out there, and I still need to track that down...
    • The "Finesse" remix + video were definitely some of the first big/buzzworthy musical moments of 2018! I'm glad it got Bruno back-on-track after "Versace..." (shockingly) under-performed basically everywhere.
    • Speaking of getting back-on-track, "Without Me" has really worked wonders for Halsey after some spotty single success throughout the Hopeless Fountain Kingdom era! It was officially crowned the newest Hot 100 No. 1 yesterday but, more importantly, I'm glad it won you over in a way that none of her previous singles had managed! I'm excited to see where she takes us next, since 2019 could be her biggest year yet!
    I suspect many people were just sick of Despacito so didn't want to hear Daddy Yankee all over other artists songs. I thought his contributions were fitting, at least i can tolerate his voice. Have you heard Bad Bunny when he sings? I've already mentioned it but we've got the rock & roll hall of fame ceremony in March so with Janet Jackson being one of the inductees that, imo, would be the perfect time to get the next single released. Like they say all publicity is good publicity. Gosh, give me a job at a record label already!!!!!

Aretha Franklin will forever be one of the greatest female singers. I know 2016 was quite a shocking year for untimely deaths in the music industry with George Michael, Prince and David Bowie all getting special honours in my top 100 of 2016. :(

LOL i reckon it's mostly Swae Lee that helped Close to me to become a streaming hit. Oddly enough its the chorus i love the most and personally thought Ellie's lower range didn't really do her much justice. That said, i still enjoyed the song.

Aww poor Versace on the floor was truly scuppered. In the UK we got a David Guetta remix of the song was paled so badly compared to the album version which remains so smooth silky and sexy. <3

Yes i was kinda gobsmacked but in a good way when i read that Halsey was #1 in America. It's easily her best solo song to date but going back to your second point, a key part of Halsey's success in my chart was from hearing the song on the radio and seeing the video countless times on music channels. It was as if someone really wanted me to listen to this song, and that's how my love for the song grew. It was forced upon me!!! :evil: But i really do think 2019 could be Halsey's year and even forward in the coming years too.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Tue January 8th, 2019, 21:10

Quote Originally Posted by Top10
    86. Halsey - Without me
    I like it a little bit. Watched her on the TV (Victoria's Secret Fashion Show), it was a brilliant performance!
    I watched it too on YouTube. Really strong stage presence but clearly mimed the majority of it.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Tue January 8th, 2019, 22:59

85. Years & Years - Palo santo

It's the first of four appearances for Years & Years as title track Palo santo finishes the year at #85. Sadly this was never chosen as an official single although it was quite comfortably one of my personal favourite tracks on the album.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Tue January 8th, 2019, 23:14

84. Paloma Faith - Make your own kind of music

The power of tv commercials. Back in March, Paloma Faith released a cover of Make your own kind of music which was used to soundtrack Škoda's 2018 advertising campaign. Paloma's delightful and distinctive powerful vocals really shine through in this rendition of the song which peaked at #7 in my chart.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Tue January 8th, 2019, 23:27

83. Lady Gaga - Always remember us this way

I finally managed to see A star is born back in October and its immediate effect in my chart was very noticeable when six tracks from the soundtrack appeared in my top 20.

Always remember us this way is easily amongst the films' highlights and Ally...i mean Lady Gaga totally sells the song with such extraordinary passionate vocals. It marks the first of four appearances for Lady Gaga in my top 100 of 2018.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Tue January 8th, 2019, 23:47

82. Little Mix featuring Sharaya J - Strip

Anyone who follows my weekly charts will already know how much of a little mixer i am. However, i have to admit i was left somewhat underwhelmed with LM5 especially coming off the back of two amazing pop albums.

Nonetheless, Little Mix still received enough love from me to earn the girls two entries in my year end chart. The first of those is Strip which on first listen it was clear the girls were inspired by their 2013 single Move only this time the whole track sounded even more daring, quirky and experimental than its predecessor.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Wed January 9th, 2019, 00:01

81. Rudimental featuring Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen - These days

Barely a month into 2018, Rudimental released These days and naturally i was intrigued as the track featured Jess Glynne and Macklemore who had both enjoyed success in my chart including a few #1 singles between them.

The song wasn't an instant smash for me but was certainly an earworm, one of those songs that just niggled into my brain and refused to move. So much so that despite only peaking at #8 it had plenty of endurance spending two months inside the top 20.

It's not the last time we'll be hearing from Jess Glynne though as there's still one more entry to come.

Legend
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)

by » Wed January 9th, 2019, 07:32

"I Say a Little Prayer" is one of my favourite songs ever! Aretha was such a trailblazer in music, the undisputed mother diva, the blueprint for the female power balladeer. She will undoubtedly be remembered for many, many decades to come!

"Love Wins" is the best song from Carrie this era. "Finesse" is terrific, both the original and the remix. It was nice to see Halsey so touched by "Without Me" going to #1 in the US. Not sure if she'll ever top "Colours" for me, but "Without Me" is a grower.

"Palo Santo" is terrific, an absolute stunner of a track! Paloma's interpretation isn't my favourite, but she did a decent job with "Make Your Own Kind of Music". "Always Remember Us This Way" is golden from the first line!
    Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [200-176]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)

by » Wed January 9th, 2019, 20:56

Halsey grew on me a lot lately.

Paloma Faith had a minor big hit with that, but there was better on the album.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Wed January 9th, 2019, 23:00

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    "I Say a Little Prayer" is one of my favourite songs ever! Aretha was such a trailblazer in music, the undisputed mother diva, the blueprint for the female power balladeer. She will undoubtedly be remembered for many, many decades to come!

"Love Wins" is the best song from Carrie this era. "Finesse" is terrific, both the original and the remix. It was nice to see Halsey so touched by "Without Me" going to #1 in the US. Not sure if she'll ever top "Colours" for me, but "Without Me" is a grower.

"Palo Santo" is terrific, an absolute stunner of a track! Paloma's interpretation isn't my favourite, but she did a decent job with "Make Your Own Kind of Music". "Always Remember Us This Way" is golden from the first line!
    The extraordinary thing about Aretha is that it could've easily been one of her other classic songs like Respect, (You make me feel like) a natural woman or Think that i decided to chart as a tribute but in the end I say a little prayer felt like the most suitable choice and it still sounds incredible today. <3

Carrie actually has one more entry still to come which benefitted from peaking higher and spending more weeks on the chart. Finesse is a bop and helped me warm more towards Cardi B coming off the back of Bodak yellow, a song that mystified me with its huge success but it seems i really was in the minority group with that track.

Halsey climbing to #1 in the US charts is such an amazing achievement. Tbh i don't even know if i've even heard Colours as the title alone isn't clicking where i know exactly what song it is just from the song title.

Yes Palo santo is fabulous, but then all 4 Years & Years track in my top 100 are fabulous in their own wonderful way. Aww i thought Paloma's cover was really great, i love her vocal tone on the track. Also agree about Lady Gaga although this track did get overshadowed by the two other defining moments in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Halsey grew on me a lot lately.

Paloma Faith had a minor big hit with that, but there was better on the album.
    I never checked the album in its entirety so only knew the singles. Loyal got to #9 but would've needed to spend a couple of months in the chart with a #9 peak to stand a chance of making my year end chart. However, dancefloor Paloma is still to come.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Wed January 9th, 2019, 23:19

80. Au/Ra & CamelPhat - Panic room

I do love a good slice of euphoric dance music and #80 is no exception. Au/Ra got her breakthrough hit of 2018 thanks to the remixing wizardry of CamelPhat, taking the original version of Panic room and transforming it into a dancefloor smash. In fact i heard the remix version first so initially i thought this was an original song. It was only thanks to YouTube that i found the original version.