X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeP
    Superstar
    • 19 Aug 2013

08. Kylie Minogue featuring Gente De Zona - Stop me from falling

Kylie Minogue's second entry in the top 10 is Stop me from falling finishing at #8. Having got off to a flying start, Kylie's success just kept coming when this was released as the second single in March.

After topping my chart for one week, a remix of Stop me from falling featuring Gente De Zona was released shortly after the album providing the track with a second wind of chart success. What i truly loved about the spanglish version was its accompanying music video. It's bright, fun and cheeky with Kylie looking radiant throughout and the chorus is so joyous and anthemic. <3

Comment

• JakeP
      Superstar
      • 19 Aug 2013

07. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow

What a year 2018 ended up being for Lady Gaga. I can honestly say a year ago i genuinely didn't think i'd see Lady Gaga get another worldwide hit, yet alone another UK #1, as it just seemed as if she was lost in the pop wilderness. However, everything changed quite dramatically thanks to Bradley Cooper casting Lady Gaga in the role of Ally in his adaptation of A star is born which has ended up being a rousing success, perhaps even a miracle for Lady Gaga.

I went to see A star is born back in October and i only really cared about Lady Gaga's scenes. I even struggled at times to understand some of the dialogue between Jack and Bobby which didn't help, it's not like i could just rewind it back and listen more carefully! However, Lady Gaga truly is the star here and Shallow is easily one of the films biggest highlights.

Shallow has already won the award for best song at the Golden globes 2019. Could Lady Gaga find herself winning an oscar for Shallow at the end of this month?

Comment

• JakeP
        Superstar
        • 19 Aug 2013

06. Loud Luxury featuring brando - Body

Every year a song comes out of absolutely nowhere and ends up having a massive impact on me. Step forward Loud Luxury who really caught my attention with their absolute club banger Body featuring the silky smooth vocals from brando who, to this day, i still know nothing about.

I first discovered Body via Canada's iTunes chart where it was #1 as i was searching for potential FSC entries. I checked out the track on YouTube and it was love at first listen. Around the same time i had also started to hear the song getting played at a couple of bars in Manchester's canal street which was making me feel excited that a song i'd recently discovered on YouTube was getting played elsewhere.

Loud Luxury enjoyed instant success as Body topped my chart back in June remaining in pole position for 3 weeks. Then the song started to spread across to the UK overall and i was loving seeing this dance anthem climbing up the charts. I would've loved to have seen Body go all the way to #1 but even top 5 felt like such an achievement considering they were a canadian dance act with their debut single.

Epic!

Comment

• JakeP
          Superstar
          • 19 Aug 2013

Time to wrap this up then!

05. Ava Max - Sweet but psycho

The biggest breakthrough single from a newcomer in 2018 comes courtesy of Ava Max with the fizzy pop worldwide smash Sweet but psycho. I owe everything to Sweden as this is the country where Ava first succeeded in going to #1 and that caught my attention. Sweden are not only pioneers of the classic pop song, they also know a classic pop song when they hear one.

After checking out the music video on YouTube i was transfixed and was loving the track within 30 seconds of the intro. <3 Ava Max smashed into my chart #1 in October, spent 3 non consecutive weeks at the top and remained in the top 10 until the final chart in December.

Whether Ava can follow in the footsteps of Britney Spears (1998 breakthrough) and Lady Gaga (2008 breakthrough) is left to be seen but if Sweet but psycho is a taste of things to come then the future is looking promising.

Comment

• JakeP
            Superstar
            • 19 Aug 2013

04. Ariana Grande - No tears left to cry

Shocker?!!!

So my top 4 singles of 2018 are shared between two artists. Ariana has three of them, she's so greedy! However, whilst No tears left to cry remains one of my personal favourite songs of 2018, it has to settle for #4 in my year end chart. Ever since its release back in April, i was truly in love with this track. The heavenly intro (sadly omitted from the single version, i'm guessing the same applied on the album?) that suddenly twists into an uptempo pop bop, Ariana excelling with diva-esque attitude and flawless vocals that soar in the chorus. The music video was equally fascinating to watch with some really clever editing and post-production making it one of those videos that kept me engaged right until the end.

It would've been a magnificent achievement had Ariana Grande secured my top 3 of 2018...but it wasn't to be.

Comment

• JakeP
              Superstar
              • 19 Aug 2013

03. Kylie Minogue - Dancing

Preventing that Ariana top 3 of 2018 is Kylie Minogue who dominated my chart pretty much as soon as Dancing was released almost a year ago. I've already written about this in previous Kylie related commentaries but she really did dominate my chart in the first half of last year quite comfortably. Golden was the only album i bought throughout the whole of 2018 which is quite shocking but imo Kylie's album delivered on multiple levels.

Kudos to BMG who really strived to make Dancing a top 40 hit and succeeded. Considering how much the charts have changed because of streaming, for Kylie to reach #38 in the UK charts in 2018 despite all the odds stacked against her, that was chart justice. <3

Originally posted by JSparksFan
              In an unprecedented same-artist finale, we have poll-favourite "God Is a Woman" facing off against "Breathin". Which Ariana song wins? Stay tuned tomorrow for the grand(e) reveal!

vs.

Surely not?!!!!

Comment

• JakeP
                Superstar
                • 19 Aug 2013

02. Ariana Grande - God is a woman

Gosh! In a year that saw me and Akini sharing #1s on several occasions throughout last year, maybe it shouldn't come as a surprise that we've also ended up with the exact same top 2 of 2018.

As for Ariana, it's very rare and unique to find a situation quite like this. I'm sure its happened before but i would need to check. But basically Ariana Grande's three singles from Sweetener actually went on to outperform the previous single. That's some extraordinary feat as its usually always the lead single that tends to generate the most hype and success. It really highlights the immense quality of all three official singles released from Sweetener (sorry The light is coming ).

God is a woman therefore finishes in second place in my top 100 of 2018. It's still such an amazing epic track and those layered vocals that create the essence of a gospel choir at the songs climax is just sensational. Once again Ariana really delivered with the visuals and it really felt like the artistic direction was just as important as the music, not just a mere afterthought. These are always the music videos that strike the biggest chord with me as a viewer.

All hail Ari...the new queen of pop?

Comment

• JakeP
                  Superstar
                  • 19 Aug 2013

01. Ariana Grande - breathin

Here it is, my #1 of 2018 is breathin which stood out as a bonafide classic pop song from the first time listened to the song. Ariana again was in formidable form and whilst God is a woman was still dominating my chart, it wasn't long before breathin took control of my chart.

breathin is undeniably one of 2018's absolute best pop songs. It has everything going in its favour to make it a spectacular song...but it's also an incredibly deep song and certainly one that many people can relate to. I already know through following Akini's chart just how much this song means to him, but i've also found myself in situations where i've needed to remember to breathe and not let the situation get the better of me. It's a true testament to Ariana's songwriting talents that she was able and more crucially felt comfortable enough to write such an honest song whilst creating on the surface an extraordinary pop gem.

In another move rarely seen with other artists, the release of the music video tied in with the release of thank u, next, the lead single from Ariana's new album (out today, what a co-incidence! ). The video for breathin was full of clues relating to the tracklist for the new album - a very clever marketing strategy indeed.

So congratulations Ari, you really were the star of 2018 and it doesn't look like that's going to be changing anytime soon. I'm already anticipating reading tomorrow's Spotify streaming chart to see if the top 12 consists of the entire thank u, next album. Only the legends...

Last edited by JakeP; Fri February 8, 2019, 21:14.

Comment

• JSparksFan
                    Moderator and Site Supporter
                    • 24 Jul 2009

Okay, so there's a good bit to catch up on, but just wow!

"Fuego" is a bop, and I get why people like it so much. Eleni had such great energy during her performance. For me, it was a well-earned second place, though, as "Toy" is my fave ESC song from 2018.

I'm not sure I remember what "Call Out My Name" sounds like. I do remember expecting a sexy bedroom anthem, and it turning out to be be very...not that.

"Lovely" is okay. "Friends" isn't bad.

Aw, I appreciate you using my "Pray for Me" write-up, and it's so refreshing to see it place high here! I think for most people "All the Stars" was the big stand-out song from the soundtrack, but early on "Pray for Me" was my fave, and I think watching the movie only amplified my love for it. I definitely recommend watching the film; it is absolutely spectacular!

"Nothing Breaks Like a Heart" will feature in my 2019 countdown. I totally agree that it's a refreshing sound to hear among the trap/dance/electronic domination of the charts these days. Miley isn't Mariah, but she's a capable vocalist, and quite underrated in that department, I think.

"Shotgun" is decent. "Bloom" bloomed on me! I still prefer "Dance to This" and "My My My!", but "Bloom" definitely has its unique charm, too.

"N'oublie pas" is beautiful. I believe it was you who introduced me to it. "Paradise" is okay.

Yep, I strongly agree with your second "My My My!" paragraph. It was beautiful to see Troye totally owning his sexuality in both the song and its video. He's really grown a lot this past era, and I hope he just keeps getting better (*plays Christina Aguilera bop*).

"Head Above Water" was lukewarm for me on the first listen. It was stress at work that prompted me to revisit it, and when I connected with it, there was no going back. I love the structure of the chorus. It's like a skipping, cascading kind of chorus model that works for me.

"Solo" is the emotional dancefloor anthem we needed in 2018. Clean Bandit and Demi delivered!

I loved all the memes "Thank U, Next" inspired, but what I love more is how powerful the song's message is. Ari was all about positive messages in 2018, and that one was no exception. The video was an ambitious effort that failed in some departments for me, but I appreciate the attempt!

The "Ashes" video is hilarious! But dem vocals were no damn joke!

I've seen that video of "Raining Glitter" you have posted, and it's wonderful. I think "Raining Glitter" is one of Kylie's finest songs of her career. It's light, fresh, fun, and those Whoops! are delightful. There's a level of freedom, nonchalance, and joy expressed in the song that just...does so much for me!

"Make Me Feel" is fantastic. In retrospect, I probably should have charted it higher, but I think the two bigger songs on the album ("Americans", "I Like That") kinda stole the spotlight from that one and it got lost in the shuffle towards the end of the year without any attention. Janelle was a huge force for me in 2018, though.

"Stop Me from Falling" is good! "Shallow" is a stunner! I love the way Gaga roars through it.

"Sweet but Psycho" is good. It's a big grower! The same thing applies to "No Tears Left to Cry". It's connected with me since I ranked it in the 70s on my year-end wrap-up. "Dancing" for me fizzled out a bit, but I still think it's a fun song.

at your top 2!!!

I think the "God Is a Woman" video is easily the best music video of 2018, and one of the best of this decade really! The message, the vocals, the production - so much about "God Is a Woman" feels larger than life, and it truly speaks to Ari's talent that she's able to really control the whole spectacle of the song, phenomenal music video included. In most years, "God Is a Woman" would have been my #1 as it checks so many key boxes for me. Like I said before, it was very much her "Like a Prayer"/"Umbrella" moment, and there was no reason to believe that, nor need in any way, for her to deliver an even better song...but she stubbornly did so anyway.

I never feel as if I have the words to adequately capture what "Breathin" does for me. Life can be exhausting sometimes, and it really does feel like you move from one stressful situation to the next, with no semblance of rest or recovery, but "Breathin" really reminds me to take a step back, centre myself, think positive and self-affirming thoughts, and return to whatever it is with a clear, optimistic mind. There are a lot of clever production and vocal elements stitched in that really nail home the message of the song, and I think when you pair those with the lyrics that so vividly illustrate the physical effects anxiety has on the body, it all makes for a pretty legendary and classic anthem. I suspect this will be Ari's most important song for me, and I'm happy that despite so many things going on around the song's release that it still managed to connect with the GP in some way. It pulled me out of some stressful holes in 2018, and I'm happy to read that it's aided you, too! I remember the work example you shared when the technology wasn't working. It's insane the rippling effect that little things can have. Molehills turn into mountains in 3.5 seconds sometimes.

I am truly floored by your top 2. It's the best top 2 I've seen in any year-end countdown this year...and possibly the best top 2 I've ever seen in any year-end wrap-up ever, to be honest! Beyond those two, though, you have a truly incredible list. Many thanks for sharing with us, and I look forward to equal synchronisation in 2019!
                    Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [60-56]
                    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Cruel Summer (x12)
                    AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. Madison Beer]
                    Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Janet Jackson vs. Nelly Furtado]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                      Site Supporter
                      • 29 Nov 2007

Originally posted by JakeP
                      LOL i'm missing those cute yellow smilies too. We need to start a petition to bring them back. I agree the whole tv manipulation has been going on as far back as i can remember. It's kinda sad how some people can become like a public hate figure purely because of bad editing that makes them look much worse than they actually are.
                      Absolutely! It seems so reductive that even "reality" shows have to include at least one cliché, one-dimensional "villain" character. That's a big part of what makes Bake Off so refreshing! No villains (well, Paul aside), no backstabbing, no melodramatic outbursts, etc.

To be fair The Chainsmokers have done a couple of really strong songs, its just that they didn't provide any vocals on those tracks which explains why i enjoy them so much more. I dread to think what songs like Roses, Something just like this and Side effects would've sounded like had Andrew done the vocals.
                      Poor Drew Speaking of reality shows from above, you've really gone all Simon Cowell on him.

I actually enjoy Swan song even though not the most radio friendly song Dua Lipa has put her vocals towards. Maybe the fact it's not taken off on iTunes and Spotify might make the record company think twice about what single they choose to lead the second album. If they get that right, Dua could see herself scoring another comfortable #1 hit.
                      **Nod** She's in such a strong position coming off the string of "New Rules," "IDGAF," "One Kiss," and "Electricity," I feel like she'd have to serve up something SUPER experimental/avant-garde as her next lead single for it not to smash hard.

Oh totally, it really was such a bold move but one that should be celebrated for representing the lgbt community with so much artistic flare. <3 Now all i need is Troye to collaborate with Olly Alexander from Years & Years and we could have a jaw dropping GOSH of a duet there.
                      Yes PLZ! Though I'm not sure if my body could handle the video...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. But i can see where you're coming from. Clean Bandit are amazing pioneers of pure pop which is why i love them so much. Their knack for crafting amazing pop music is exceptional. Demi sounds flawless on the track, i remember they released an acoustic version of the song too which really shows off Demi's vocals even more.
                      I had to give that acoustic version a listen ASAP, since it was a little hard to imagine "Solo" (especially that chorus) done acoustically...but it still kind of works! It's a tad jarring to hear Demi just plainly say "I wanna f**k" without it being "wooped"/repeated at all.

LOL i remember you mentioned once in my chart thread. The troubles of misheard lyrics. Lyrically i've been really impressed with Ariana's singles as they really hit hard when you read deeper into the meaning. I love that last comment about the song being level-headed. I think many fans and people in general can relate that that sentiment. I know a couple who split up a few years ago but have remained friends. I think its down to each persons character and personality. If they're a bitch, they'll be the ones making a big deal and saying how much of a disaster it was...but it's usually the bitch that ruins the relationship in the first place!

I really admire and appreciate how Ari used her craft to send such a healthy message about handling breakups (especially knowing that many of her fans are kids and teens). Less drama, more appreciation and introspection.

@ triple Kylie AND triple Ari inside your Top 10! The perfect recipe for an amazing top tier to this countdown. I totally agree about the label's handling of Golden being so impressive and demonstrating a real understanding of what many fans want: several different editions/formats of the album to collect, five official videos to enjoy (counting both SMFF versions), some lyric videos too, a healthy dose of remixes/new edits for the singles, etc. Those "woop"s are some of the most adorable aspects of the album.
                      • "Make Me Feel" had a similar effect on both of us (and I imagine many others too) with regard to drawing our attention to Janelle in a way that she never had before (on her own). It was also the same story with me of "Make Me Feel" completely eclipsing "Django Jane." Troye and Olly obviously leap to mind when I think about the queer-tastic musical moments of 2018, but Janelle deserves a lot of credit on that front too.
                      • Although the "Dancing" lyrics have more personal relevance for me at this point in my life (not that I'm close to death or anything
                      but 30 is kind of a big milestone that makes you reflect on where you've been and where you're headed), "Stop Me From Falling" is just such a heavenly country-pop fusion! Other popstars' recent dabbling in more rock and country-influenced material hasn't worked quite as well for me, but SMFF (and most of Golden) hits me as hard as Kylie's material often has in the past, while still sounding different from anything she's tried before. I'm charmed by basically every second of SMFF, and the chorus in particular is such a toe-tapping, hand-clapping good time: "for yooooOoOu..." There's no stopping me from falling fo this tune over and over again <3 The Spanglish version exceeded my expectations too.
                      I totally associate "Body" with you, since I'd never heard of the song or any of the acts involved until it appeared on your chart! You really saw its hit potential from a mile away.
                      • Ditto for "Sweet But Psycho," actually!
                      • Although I liked NTLTC quite a bit when it first dropped (and was very captivated by the video), I had a feeling it might wear off me fairly quickly...instead, this gem's empowering, encouraging message made it one of my most re-visited songs throughout 2018. It really can lift you up when you need it.
                      • What a brilliant conclusion to a brilliant countdown GIAW is a beautifully bold track designed to send some very topical messages, but as an actual listening experience, it falls a bit short for me. I love and respect what Ari was trying to accomplish with it, but there's something missing that kept me from replaying it as much as some of her other songs. It was great watching it win over people who'd previously dismissed her, though, and the video is EASILY among 2018's finest! "Breathin" is such an honest depiction of such a relatable issue, and it actually offers some genuine relief by the end of its runtime. Ari might not be able to make our anxiety completely disappear, but she works some real magic in those 3-ish minutes! A meditative moment has never sounded so catchy.

Thanks for taking us on this wonderful ride through the musical highlights of your 2018, Jake!
                      last.fm​ ❖ Top 30

Comment

Working...