Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JakeP Top 100 of 2018

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 13:34

STARTING TONIGHT

As the banner says, HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone on UK Mix!!! I hope you all have an amazing 2019.

I hope to start counting down my top 100 of 2018 this evening *fingers crossed*

Top 100 of 2014
    Top 100 of 2015
    Top 100 of 2016
    Top 100 of 2017

Legend
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 16:11

YASSS! Very excited for this! Ariana for #1 :cool:

(though I think an Australian legend may take the top spot instead...)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 20:15

I LOVE the banner re-capping all of your No. 1's from last year <3 So many magical musical memories in that bunch!

Like Tansike, my money's on "Dancing," but I expect Ari and Janelle to provide some pretty stiff competition.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 20:57

LOL thanks Tansike, well it's certainly been an excellent year for both Ariana Grande and Kylie Minogue so it's left to be seen which track takes #1 honours.

Aww thanks Paul, i'm a bit disappointed that i didn't have a nice round 30 chart toppers as that banner would've looked so pretty with three rows of artwork.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 21:11

100. Louisa featuring 2Chainz - YES

Kicking things off at #100 it's Louisa Johnson who returned with...well, a bit of a damp squib to be honest. Such a shame as this absolute 100% pop bop was right up my street but failed to resonate with the Spotify generation. :evil:

Compared to its lacklustre performance in the UK charts, YES fared much better in my personal chart peaking at #4 back in March. We haven't heard anything from Louisa since this song bombed so it's left to be seen whether we get any new music in 2019.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 21:24

99. Saara Aalto - Monsters

From the winner of The x factor 2015 to the winner of...well, let's face it she was robbed. :evil:

When the news was announced that Saara Aalto was going to be representing Finland at the Eurovision sing contest 2018 i may have been a tiny bit excited. We were treated to a selection of songs but thankfully the finnish public voted wisely and Monsters ended up being their entry.

What an absolute pop nugget this was. Amazing music video to boost, it was one of those rare occasions where i was so impressed with a eurovision entry upon its initial release that it got to #5 in my chart. After the final, and a relatively disappointing placing on the scoreboard for Saara, my love for the song remained strong and Monsters returned to my chart for a second spell.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 21:43

98. George Ezra - Hold my girl

Back in November in a discussion with Akini i posted the following;

"i reckon this could be the UK's christmas #1"
    Got that right, didn't i?

Terrible predictions aside, i've loved seeing George Ezra emerge victorious as one of 2018's most successful artists. Having spent 2014 in the shadows of both Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith, it really feels like George came into his own. All that despite his 2017 lead single Don't matter now pretty much flopping even though i personally enjoyed the track.

Needless to say, i much prefer all 3 of his 2018 singles which all appear in my top 100 of 2018. Hold my girl is the first single to appear at #98. Whilst this track may have only peaked at #7 i found the song really charming and as such it stabilised nicely and remained on the chart for six weeks. To put that in context, i've had songs peak at #7 that plummeted out of the entire chart the following week.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 22:14

97. Demi Lovato - Sober

What a year it was for Demi Lovato.

Some of the most striking pop songs are those that are deeply personal to the artist who wrote them. That couldn't be truer for Demi Lovato when she released Sober back in June. The heartfelt ballad was a reflection of Demi's personal life having battled alcohol and drug addition plus having to endure mental health issues. Demi's apology to her parents that she had relapsed after several years of sobriety was incredibly bold.

To further highlight the lyrical content, almost a month after Sober was released, there was breaking news that Demi had been hospitalised following an alleged opioid overdose. I don't know about anyone else but these days if i look at iTunes chart and see a number of tracks from an artist suddenly climbing high, i tend to think the worst. :(

Thankfully Demi was discharged from hospital two weeks later and checked into rehab shortly afterwards. The fight continues but i really hope Demi battles those demons and comes out on top.

Sober marks the first of three appearances for Demi Lovato in my top 100 of 2018.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 22:30

96. Camila Cabello - She loves control

Why wasn't this an official single? :evil:

At the start of 2018 following the mighty success of Havana, it was revealed that the follow up single was going to be Never be the same. I checked out the song, winced at the high octave pre-chorus and decided that this song just wasn't for me. Then along came Camila's self titled debut album where i discovered this delicious gem.

Even now twelve months on, i really don't understand why the record company didn't think this had the potential to be massive. Nonetheless, i was loving She loves control and the track peaked at #6 in my chart last February.

Legend
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 22:43

99. Saara Aalto - Monsters - it's a catchy song, but a little bit basic. Anyway, I felt like Saara deserved to end up a bit higher.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Tue January 1st, 2019, 23:11

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    99. Saara Aalto - Monsters - it's a catchy song, but a little bit basic. Anyway, I felt like Saara deserved to end up a bit higher.
    Thanks heppolo

Sometimes i'm more than satisfied with a basic bop if there's a big singalong chorus. The downside for me was that hearing the song performed live just didn't anywhere near as good as the studio version. Nothing at all to do with Saara but moreso the fact that the backing singers had their microphone levels too high so imo their vocals clashed with Saara whose vocals should've been at the forefront, not competing with the backing vocals for our attention.

At least that's how it felt for me. :(

Gonna be heading for bed shortly as i'm back at work tomorrow so the countdown will continue tomorrow night.

Legend
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 15:50

Yes and Monsters are both anthems!

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 17:55

Quote Originally Posted by JakeP
    Aww thanks Paul, i'm a bit disappointed that i didn't have a nice round 30 chart toppers as that banner would've looked so pretty with three rows of artwork.
    Ha, true, but at least it left the perfect amount of space for some new year wishes this way! Hope 2019 has been treating you well so far. <3

It's always been pretty baffling (and annoying) to me when reality show competition winners fail to achieve much/any success once the competition is over. All of those viewers diligently voted for them week after week after week, but have ZERO interest in what that beloved contestant makes after they've won...? It's nothing new (happened to plenty of American Idol winners over the years), but I still don't get how people can feel so strongly about a contestant's talent/potential throughout the course of the show, and then be completely over them in a heartbeat. Poor Louisa seems like a pretty prime example, and "YES" deserved SO much better! A little Xtina + a little PCD = a whole lot of frisky fun.
    Speaking of baffling and annoying, how did the Camila era go so wrong? Although I've gotta stick up for "Never Be The Same" a bit ;) I really don't understand why it took her team so long to pick and push a follow-up to two big hits like "Havana" and NBTS (especially when the album was bursting with untapped potential like "She Loves Control"). She could've kept right on smashing throughout 2018 by focusing on SLC (and others), but instead we got "Sangria Wine" , her hopping on Bazzi's "Beautiful," a random promotion-less "Real Friends" remix, and then finally another sorta-kinda-proper single in the form of "Consequences" (which wasn't until October). **sigh**

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 20:43

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Yes and Monsters are both anthems!
    Amen to that. Those anthems are gonna keep on coming too.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix98
    Ha, true, but at least it left the perfect amount of space for some new year wishes this way! Hope 2019 has been treating you well so far. <3

It's always been pretty baffling (and annoying) to me when reality show competition winners fail to achieve much/any success once the competition is over. All of those viewers diligently voted for them week after week after week, but have ZERO interest in what that beloved contestant makes after they've won...? It's nothing new (happened to plenty of American Idol winners over the years), but I still don't get how people can feel so strongly about a contestant's talent/potential throughout the course of the show, and then be completely over them in a heartbeat. Poor Louisa seems like a pretty prime example, and "YES" deserved SO much better! A little Xtina + a little PCD = a whole lot of frisky fun.
    Speaking of baffling and annoying, how did the Camila era go so wrong? Although I've gotta stick up for "Never Be The Same" a bit ;) I really don't understand why it took her team so long to pick and push a follow-up to two big hits like "Havana" and NBTS (especially when the album was bursting with untapped potential like "She Loves Control"). She could've kept right on smashing throughout 2018 by focusing on SLC (and others), but instead we got "Sangria Wine" , her hopping on Bazzi's "Beautiful," a random promotion-less "Real Friends" remix, and then finally another sorta-kinda-proper single in the form of "Consequences" (which wasn't until October). **sigh**
    Well i don't think i'm the greatest designer in the world (compared to the banner Era designed for Tansike which is stunning <3 ) but i kinda felt awkward requesting someone to design a banner for me. I needed to improvise with that additional space and that was really the only thing i could of.

I totally agree with you about reality tv winners. Like you say, when they're performing every Saturday night for several weeks, its astonishing just how much people can become invested in the show and their own personal favourites. It's as if once they're no longer on tv, all those viewers suffer from reality tv amnesia or something and simply forget about them. Maybe for The x factor 2019 the eventual winner should be given their own prime time tv shoe that starts the day after the final, and then they're still in the public eye so they're not forgotten about overnight. (imagine if they did this but the winner had the personality of a cardboard cut out ).

I really think its a shame that Louisa struggled so much with YES as, like Thriller says, its such an anthem. Sadly with Spotify so dominant the majority of users (teenage boys i guess) want to listen to urban music which just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. The irony is that these songs perform so badly on iTunes so clearly people aren't willing to actually buy these songs so songs that are showing a profit should be the ones peaking higher in the chart.

Camila Cabello is yet another in a long line of examples of artists releasing an album then everything goes pear shaped. I've got a few album tracks appearing in my top 100 that imo had huge potential but it was all wasted. I'm not really sure who benefits from these poor decisions, but it always reflects badly on the artist. :(

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 21:03

95. Kerli - Savages

Bringing us right up to date, it's everyone's favourite estonian songstress Kerli. Savages had a strong opening week having a big impact on me and as such the track charted at #4 in early December. With a new single due in a fortnight followed by the release of new album Shadow works in February, it's left to be seen how much impact Kerli will have in my chart throughout 2019 (yet alone Tansike's chart )

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 21:13

"Monsters" definitely caught my attention the night of the final, where I thought it should've been the winner, but, in hindsight, the right song won.

You were just 49 places off with "Hold My Girl". It's a decent song.

"Sober" definitely hits harder knowing Demi's struggles with addiction weren't completely over when she recorded the track.

"She Loves Control" is just okay for me. Really, beyond "Havana", I was hugely underwhelmed by Camila's album. She might as well have put "Crying in the Club" on it, so we'd have the double the number of good tracks.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 21:20

94. Lukas Graham - Love someone

Back in September Lukas Graham returned with their new single Love someone. I know they're not to everyones tastes but i will always have a soft spot for a gorgeous ballad with cute lyrics and strong vocals. <3 No strangers to my chart, these guys already topped my chart with 7 years back in December 2015.

Love someone fell short of going top 5 peaking at #6 but i couldn't resist its charm.

Legend
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 21:32

great to see Kerli charting. I can't say ''Savages'' is her strongest work, but it wasn't a complete letdown either. She kinda did the job and did it well.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 21:35

I can't still at how wrong Camila's team got it. She Loves Control would have been huge.

Great to see Louisa, we have actually heard from her since in a couple of collaborations including a catchy one with OneBit. And I love Saara, a lot!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 21:43

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    "Monsters" definitely caught my attention the night of the final, where I thought it should've been the winner, but, in hindsight, the right song won.

You were just 49 places off with "Hold My Girl". It's a decent song.

"Sober" definitely hits harder knowing Demi's struggles with addiction weren't completely over when she recorded the track.

"She Loves Control" is just okay for me. Really, beyond "Havana", I was hugely underwhelmed by Camila's album. She might as well have put "Crying in the Club" on it, so we'd have the double the number of good tracks.
    I do remember you posting around the time of the final about Saara's performance standing out. A shame it didn't appeal to both the juries or the televoters. I can't really begrudge Netta winning for Israel as it was a stark contrast to Salvador Sobral's heartwarming winning ballad from 2017. Toy just didn't exactly rank high in my affections but i was rooting for Cyprus all the way.

LOL i really did overestimate how successful Hold my girl would be leading up to christmas. What i do find most telling though is that George Ezra in recent weeks hasn't performed his latest single and instead opted for the more tried and tested hit single Shotgun instead. I suppose if that's the song everyone wants to hear then George might as well give the public what they want. It's keeping his album selling each week so he's doing something right.

On reflection, it's almost as if Sober was Demi's cry for help like it was her statement saying "i need help" which is why i find the song so striking.

I did check out a few tracks from Camila, but i agree i wasn't that impressed overall which is why She loves control stood out so much for me. Iirc, the song made the UK top 40 off the back of the album release and that was what caught my attention. Otherwise had it not charted, i might've overlooked the song completely. Its strange to think Crying in the club didn't make the album as it was a relatively successful hit.

Record companies eh?

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 23:10

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    great to see Kerli charting. I can't say ''Savages'' is her strongest work, but it wasn't a complete letdown either. She kinda did the job and did it well.
    I much preferred Savages more than Spirit animal so i'm hoping Kerli delivers some more goodies with her new album.

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    I can't still at how wrong Camila's team got it. She Loves Control would have been huge.

Great to see Louisa, we have actually heard from her since in a couple of collaborations including a catchy one with OneBit. And I love Saara, a lot!
    I agree 100% especially with a really good music video there's no reason why it couldn't have contended for #1 as i'm sure it would've been an airplay hit as well. A real wasted opportunity. :(

Gosh how did You and me pass me by. I just watched it on YouTube and i love how they did the music video, the song is pretty good too.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 23:26

93. MK, Jonas Blue & Becky Hill - Back & forth

Time for another infectious 90s style dance anthem. This time its courtesy of MK, Jonas Blue and Becky Hill who had all previously enjoyed success in my chart to various degrees (Becky Hill achieving a #1 single in 2016 with False alarm). Back & forth entered my chart at #7 back in September then remained comfortably inside the top 10 for a good number of weeks.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 23:37

92. Janet Jackson & Daddy Yankee - Made for now

Up next at #92 its Janet Jackson who made a spectacular return to the music world when Made for now premiered in August. With the assistance of Daddy Yankee to provide the song with a sizzling latino pop twist, Made for now was an instant smash and one of 2018's most joyous singles of the year.

It was also amazing to see Janet completely owning the live performances and clearly loving being back in the spotlight.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

by Wed January 2nd, 2019, 23:50

91. Disclosure featuring Gwen McCrae - Funky sensation

Another act who are no strangers to my chart are Disclosure. The Lawrence brothers returned in the summer of 2018 with a handful of new singles which were released over consecutive days. It was the uplifting disco chic of Funky sensation that had the biggest impact on me, sounding like the most fabulous gay anthem of the summer. It introduced me to the original recording by Gwen McCrae which is also worth checking out. Those smooth silky diva vocals are enhanced so much thanks to Disclosure's literally funky remix. <3

On that note i'm gonna have to call it a night so my countdown will continue tomorrow evening.
    Goodnight guys. xx *snores*

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by Thu January 3rd, 2019, 04:14

"Made for Now" is lovely. I think I used "joyous" to describe it, too.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.