• Show
Clear All
  • heppolo
    Legend
    • 17 May 2009

Re: JakeP Top 100 of 2018

44. Pnau - Go bang
    43. Years & Years - If you’re over me

Two very good ones in a row. ''Go bang'' reminded me of both 90s house and early 2010s electronica (Basement Jaxx/Groove Armada)
    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• JakeP
      Superstar
      • 19 Aug 2013

34. Florence + The Machine - Big god

Florence + The Machine have been one of the most successful acts in my chart over the years and 2018 was no exception. Fans were treated to the release of three tracks in subsequent months leading up to the release of parent album High as hope. Big god was the third of those instant grat singles and stormed into my chart at #1 in June giving Florence Welch her first ever #1 in my chart after multiple near misses.

What really grabbed my attention the most was the music video. It's such an incredible piece of modern contemporary dance that i could only associate with a singer like Florence. It's captivating to watch and adds a whole extra dimension to the song itself. Speaking of which, the song is also full of twists and turns and certainly made for an interesting first listen. The way the whole song culminates with a really unexpected yet impressive low pitched croak from Florence had me like in the end. Just a really fascinating song and music video.

[youtube:176dtjmu]_kIrRooQwuk[/youtube:176dtjmu]

Comment

• JakeP
        Superstar
        • 19 Aug 2013

Originally posted by heppolo
        44. Pnau - Go bang
        43. Years & Years - If you’re over me

Two very good ones in a row. ''Go bang'' reminded me of both 90s house and early 2010s electronica (Basement Jaxx/Groove Armada)
        Ohh i thought you didn't like If you're over me. That's quite pleasing to see. As for Go bang it does indeed hark back to the 90s maybe even to some of the poppier dance hits of the 00s that i loved. That'll explain why this particular song clicked with me so much.

Comment

• JakeP
          Superstar
          • 19 Aug 2013

33. Florence + The Machine - Hunger

It's a double whammy! Florence + The Machine achieve their highest entry in my chart of 2018 at #33 with the anthemic Hunger. This track was released in one of the busiest weeks of the year for new releases and in most other weeks this could've easily topped my chart. However a certain CĂ©line Dion prevented that from happening. Despite peaking at #2 (the fourth single from Florence to do so since my chart began ) Hunger was still very much an instant hit for me. An energetic exclusive tv performance on Sounds like Friday night plus the music video also helped to boost the songs success in my chart too.

[youtube:2u1msuus]5GHXEGz3PJg[/youtube:2u1msuus]

Comment

• JakeP
            Superstar
            • 19 Aug 2013

32. Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity

Dua Lipa transforming into a disco diva was a truly marvellous thing to witness in 2018. Electricity was released in September and i was completely hooked on the song from first listen. Diplo & Mark Ronson did absolute wonders on production duties and Dua's sultry vocals just smothered across the rather tasty 90s inspired pop/house music. The track managed to peak at #2 for a fortnight although in both weeks it never really contended for the top spot.

With new music from Dua Lipa just around the corner, I'm curious to see what 2019 has to offer and whether there will be anymore dance gems just like this one...

[youtube:2yh780zi]Q4-jOuHO-z4[/youtube:2yh780zi]

Comment

• JakeP
              Superstar
              • 19 Aug 2013

31. Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One kiss

...and this one! To further emphasise my point, Dua Lipa + dance music = amazing. One kiss was undeniably one of the biggest global hits of 2018 and finishes #31 in my countdown. It also marks the final appearance for both Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa.

[youtube:29q6xpdc]DkeiKbqa02g[/youtube:29q6xpdc]

Comment

• JSparksFan
                Moderator and Site Supporter
                • 24 Jul 2009

Hmm...I need to watch the "Big God" video. The song has hints of grandeur, but ultimately underwhelms me. Similarly, although "Hunger" has painfully relatable lyrics, I was disappointed by its production.

"One Kiss" is definitely more loved by other UKMixers than it is by me.
                Akini's Tribute to Donna Summer [60-56]
                Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Cruel Summer (x12)
                AlbumClash 2.0 [Kylie Minogue vs. Madison Beer]
                Retro AlbumClash 2.0 [Janet Jackson vs. Nelly Furtado]

If honesty matters to you too much, the muscles of your jaws and neck will be forever knotted and your heart will crack. The wishes of business, the wishes of the clock, are all bigger than you. Bigger than humanity. Yielders are survivors. To yield is to be strong.

Comment

• crystalphoenix
                  Site Supporter
                  • 29 Nov 2007

Originally posted by JakeP
                  Who knows, maybe Niall might record a studio version of the song and tag it onto his second album. *wishful thinking*
                  **Fingers and toes crossed**

I suppose Paloma is just one of those unfortunate acts who doesn't benefit from the streaming era. Crybaby went top 5 on iTunes so the song was clearly popular but lack of streaming success rendered the song down to scraping the top 40. I do miss the iTunes heyday when charts seemed much more exciting. But yes, the albums do tend to sell in decent numbers, not at the same level as Adele but still better than many other female singers. The fact she's such an amazing live vocalist is a big coup as i'm sure Paloma's concerts sell decently.
                  If only Paloma was more hip with the kidz Speaking of her concerts, though, I remember Fan praising her stage presence at one point. In addition to her amazing voice, he mentioned that she does a great job of incorporating fun antics/cute little routines too. (If only more of that charm had shown through during her time on The Voice...)

It wasn't intended in that way, i should've been more generalised with my comment. I liked In my blood but it wasn't anywhere near the same standard as There's nothin' holding me back by comparison.
                  I'm with you there! "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" remains his biggest hit on my chart by a comfortable margin.

Marina has a very distinctive vocal tone, so whether young teens listen to her sing and just don't like her tone i really can't think of any other reason why Baby would struggle. It got a lot of radio airplay so that wasn't a factor. I saw the music video a few times so again not an issue. The song is really catchy and both Clean Bandit and even Luis Fonsi have had massive UK chart success. It's always puzzling to figure out why a particular artist struggles to click with a general audience.
                  Amen to that. Trying to wrap my head around why certain acts are SO widely beloved, while others remain irrelevant (or niche at best), can be exhausting.

Gosh! I'm surprised you find a one liner more of a highlight than the countdown itself.
                  Aw, I'm really enjoying the countdown, of course - I just wanted to emphasize how much I appreciate you calling out some of UKMIX's most annoying clichés (like the over-reliance on "basic"/"generic" as a "critique").

I also don't get the hate. Even in 2015 there was a fair amount of negativity surrounding Jess and i was loving most of the tracks from I cry when i laugh. Which album track would you choose as the next single?
                  "Rollin" seems like the clearest choice left: upbeat, catchy, and just a lot of playful/cheeky sing-a-long fun overall. "Never Let Me Go" is a pretty strong candidate too, though.

• I have you to thank for introducing me to "1,2,3." It's kind of a bummer that Jason couldn't have stood in for one of those shirtless lamp-men ;) but the video's still a ton of colorful fun.
                  • "If You're Over Me" is such a delight, so I'm absolutely on-board with you showing it all this love! I can understand that some fans are frustrated by how it got so much more attention/success than "Sanctify" (and everything else from Palo Santo, for that matter), but I'm way too busy dancing along to hate on it. Well, not dancing quite like that thumbnail, though I feel like this track embodies the fun, fierce, flamboyant side of Olly that really blossomed this era (and listening to it allows us to channel some of that for ourselves). <3
                  • "Sincerely Yours" is a real gem, and easily Golden's biggest missed opportunity singles-wise. I love that it played a role in helping Kylie make JakeP chart history by tying Adele's impressive achievement!
                  • HUGE props to Emily for helping The (infamous) Chainsmokers get as high as No. 41 here!
                  • "...whose vocals FLOAT over the tender backing music..." I see what you did there ;) Ever so clever, sir! "Animals" was alright, but like you said, I've also preferred Martin's more recent collaborative material ("Scared To Be Lonely," "There For You," "Ocean").
                  • I'm glad these Dua collabos kept her momentum going strong throughout 2018, but I'm definitely ready to hear some new solo stuff now. Hype!
                  last.fm​ ❖ Top 30​

Comment

• Thriller
                    Administrator
                    • 13 Dec 2003

Just Got Paid, Electricity and One Kiss are all thumbs up from me, especially Hunger which was Florence back at the top of her game.

Comment

• JakeP
                      Superstar
                      • 19 Aug 2013

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                      Hmm...I need to watch the "Big God" video. The song has hints of grandeur, but ultimately underwhelms me. Similarly, although "Hunger" has painfully relatable lyrics, I was disappointed by its production.

"One Kiss" is definitely more loved by other UKMixers than it is by me.
                      Aww although i'm aware that Florence isn't to everyones tastes. There's just something about her music, similarly with Lana Del Rey, that tends to draw me in much more.

One kiss was a firm favourite but a #3 peak and then being completely overshadowed by Kylie's Golden cost the song a higher placing in my year end chart. I still enjoy the song though.

Comment

• JakeP
                        Superstar
                        • 19 Aug 2013

Originally posted by phoenix98
                        If only Paloma was more hip with the kidz Speaking of her concerts, though, I remember Fan praising her stage presence at one point. In addition to her amazing voice, he mentioned that she does a great job of incorporating fun antics/cute little routines too. (If only more of that charm had shown through during her time on The Voice...)
                        Haha the irony is that when Paloma features on a Sigma or Sigala track, she's suddenly popular with the Spotify generation. The downside to any tv talent show is that the producers call the shots - Paloma might've done some amazing stuff during the filming of The voice that never got aired.

I'm with you there! "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" remains his biggest hit on my chart by a comfortable margin.
                        Yes same for me although Youth is definitely his second biggest and that's also by quite some distance.

Amen to that. Trying to wrap my head around why certain acts are SO widely beloved, while others remain irrelevant (or niche at best), can be exhausting.
                        One of life's little mysteries.

Aw, I'm really enjoying the countdown, of course - I just wanted to emphasize how much I appreciate you calling out some of UKMIX's most annoying clichés (like the over-reliance on "basic"/"generic" as a "critique").
                        Well when you put it that way...

"Rollin" seems like the clearest choice left: upbeat, catchy, and just a lot of playful/cheeky sing-a-long fun overall. "Never Let Me Go" is a pretty strong candidate too, though.
                        Ohh thanks for the links. I shall check out those two tracks over the weekend.

• I have you to thank for introducing me to "1,2,3." It's kind of a bummer that Jason couldn't have stood in for one of those shirtless lamp-men ;) but the video's still a ton of colorful fun.
                        I don't suppose "kind of a bummer" is your way of saying "i wanted to see his naked ass" is it? The colourful video definitely gave off big summer vibes plus that reggaeton beat became so synonymous with many summer hits last year.

• "If You're Over Me" is such a delight, so I'm absolutely on-board with you showing it all this love! I can understand that some fans are frustrated by how it got so much more attention/success than "Sanctify" (and everything else from Palo Santo, for that matter), but I'm way too busy dancing along to hate on it. Well, not dancing quite like that thumbnail, though I feel like this track embodies the fun, fierce, flamboyant side of Olly that really blossomed this era (and listening to it allows us to channel some of that for ourselves). <3
                        I genuinely think the song appealed to a wider audience which would explain its success whilst other songs weren't being promoted. It's an unashamedly pure pop song so of course i was gonna like it.

• "Sincerely Yours" is a real gem, and easily Golden's biggest missed opportunity singles-wise. I love that it played a role in helping Kylie make JakeP chart history by tying Adele's impressive achievement!
                        Well it was a record breaking week as all 16 tracks off Golden made my top 20 - again, only the second album after Adele that an entire album has charted for me. That's right, Adele achieved the feat long before Ed Sheeran did the same feat in the UK. I'm such a trendsetter!

• HUGE props to Emily for helping The (infamous) Chainsmokers get as high as No. 41 here!
                        If you think that's impressive, Coldplay helped The Chainsmokers get as high as #8 in my chart of 2017 with Something just like this.

• "...whose vocals FLOAT over the tender backing music..." I see what you did there ;) Ever so clever, sir! "Animals" was alright, but like you said, I've also preferred Martin's more recent collaborative material ("Scared To Be Lonely," "There For You," "Ocean").
                        It really does having a strong soothing nature about the track. Scared to be lonely was divine and pure bliss.

• I'm glad these Dua collabos kept her momentum going strong throughout 2018, but I'm definitely ready to hear some new solo stuff now. Hype!
                        Well Dua's new single Swan song was released today!!!!! Have you heard it yet?

Comment

• JakeP
                          Superstar
                          • 19 Aug 2013

Originally posted by Thriller
                          Just Got Paid, Electricity and One Kiss are all thumbs up from me, especially Hunger which was Florence back at the top of her game.
                          I do love my pop bops, there's still plenty more to come in my top 30 of 2018. <3 I agree about Hunger such an epic track, really impacted hard when it was released. I'm quite surprised Florence has already released a brand new single. Not had chance to check it out but seeing as UK Mix is going offline for the upgrade i'll most likely be on YouTube in my spare time.

Comment

• ludichris
                            Superstar
                            • 23 Nov 2010

K-391 featuring Alan Walker, Julie Bergan & Seungri - Ignite
                            Thanks for this! It went completely under my radar!

Comment

• JakeP
                              Superstar
                              • 19 Aug 2013

Originally posted by ludichris
                              Thanks for this! It went completely under my radar!
                              Aww no worries. I loved Faded by Alan Walker and this caught my attention on YouTube purely because of Alan Walker's involvement on the track.

Comment

• JakeP
                                Superstar
                                • 19 Aug 2013

30. Eleni Foureira - Fuego

So it's about time i completed my top 100 of 2018. Kicking off the top 30 is the highest ranked entry from the Eurovision song contest 2018 courtesy of Cyprus. Eleni Foureira amazed me with her dazzling choreography and owned the stage like a true diva. Fuego may have finished 2nd overall but it was quite comfortably my winner. <3

Comment

• JakeP
                                  Superstar
                                  • 19 Aug 2013

29. The Weeknd - Call out my name

The Weeknd continued to enjoy more success in 2018 with the first of two entries in my year end chart - both inside the top 30. My Dear Melancholy, was released back in March and the main track Call out my name was an instant hit and peaked at #2 in my chart.

Comment

• JakeP
                                    Superstar
                                    • 19 Aug 2013

28. Billie Eilish & Khalid - lovely

Billie Eilish emerged as one of the most promising new talents last year with a string of intriguingly quirky singles. lovely was the breakthrough single that made me sit up and pay attention. It was certainly a slow burner and didn't achieve its peak of #2 until a month after first entering my chart. At its peak, i was truly captivated by this song. Both Billie and Khalid's distinct vocals really add to the eerie atmosphere in the song. For a song all about depression, it's still one i find really endearing to listen to.

With Billie Eilish currently #1 in my chart it's safe to say she's going to be enjoying even more success in 2019.

Comment

• JakeP
                                      Superstar
                                      • 19 Aug 2013

27. Alan Walker & Sophia Somajo - Diamond heart

After topping my chart with Faded in 2016, Alan Walker made a triumphant return in 2018 with the release of his debut album Different world. Diamond heart was the lead single released in October and on first listen i was instantly hooked. With the gorgeous vocals of Sophia Somajo, a haunting melody and a big anthemic chorus Diamond heart was an instant hit smashing into my chart at #1.

Comment

• JakeP
                                        Superstar
                                        • 19 Aug 2013

26. Marshmello & Anne-Marie - FRIENDS

The highest placed entry for Marshmello comes in at #26 featuring Anne-Marie with their collaborative worldwide smash FRIENDS. The track got off to a fairly steady start before picking up momentum when the track peaked at #2 a month into its chart run. The music video equally played an essential part in its success in my chart. It was certainly one of those videos i kept returning to several times during its peak.

Comment

• JakeP
                                          Superstar
                                          • 19 Aug 2013

25. The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar - Pray for me

I don't think my own personal write up of Pray for me could ever hold a candle to that of Akini's from his top 100 songs of 2018 thread. So here it is...

Originally posted by JSparksFan
                                          My beloved Black Panther anthem, "Pray for Me" pairs two gentlemen and utilises their unique talents to a greater extent than any other track has. On hook duty is the Weeknd, whose vocals are adept at beat surfing, and this is about as bouncy and intense a beat as he's ever ridden. And delivering the substantive verse messages? Who better than the archdeacon of hip/hop himself, Mr. Kendrick Lamar? This song feels very Erik Killmonger, who had some harsh and radical views in the film, but whose passion also indirectly brought about positive change (admittedly, the same change for which Nakia more diplomatically advocated). My favourite line is undoubtedly, Clutchin' on deaf ears again, rapture is comin', it's all prophecy, and if I gotta be sacrificed for the greater good, then that's what it gotta be. I love the intense passion of the song, and that martyrdom line is the apex of emotion for me. The tribal La la la sounds at the back end of the chorus are also a brilliant touch, but for me, this song is close to flawless, discussing key societal issues in the world, as well as aligning closely with the film's plot. "Pray for Me" gave me one more reason to be proud of the whole Black Panther experience. #WakandaForever
                                          Admittedly i've still not seen Black panther but that doesn't stop me from loving and appreciating Pray for me. The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar can do no wrong and when they strike gold, the end results are outstanding. <3

Comment

Working...