View Poll Results: Which LP is my favourite album of 2018?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Caution

1 20.00%
  • Dirty Computer

0 0%
  • Golden Hour

1 20.00%
  • Liberation

1 20.00%
  • Palo Santo

2 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Akini's Top 25 Albums of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

Legend
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)

by Ľ Wed January 9th, 2019, 07:44

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    ''Dirty Computer'' is one of the best mainstream crossover (R&B, soul, pop, funk) albums this year, missed a tiny bit to enter my own top 50, because of the gazillion of indie records.
    Glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Top10
    Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Top10
    I don't like the individual tracks in Rita's album, but the overall conception which gathers all the pieces one by one in the perfect harmony is the big advantage of 'Phoenix'.
    So you like the overall sound/effort, but no individual track makes a big impression on you?
    Yeah. For example, what she did in 'Ora' was amazing! So many hits I can recall: 'R.I.P.', 'How We Do', 'Radioactive', the bonus track 'Hot Right Now'. Now the feeling these songs in 'Phoenix' give me isn't the same, they're maybe too slow for me or a little bit melancholic, I can't really figure out. However, I support her for combining them in order to create a structured album, like Zayn's one, it's not easy nowadays to find good compilations with records that fit perfectly in the main idea.
    Ah, okay. For me, there are some pretty big standout moments - "Anywhere" and "Falling to Pieces" being the two biggest - but I think I get your perspective, too.

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    I do definitely need to get me into some Dirty Computer especially now she's confirmed for Glastonbury.

But you have LOST ME with your disrespectful comments about King, it is better than ninety percent of Palo Santo, great album though. Golden Hour is nice, and great to see Jason even though I understand what you mean about it being far off his best.
    You do! It's a fantastic album!

I'll probably forever deem "King" overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by abi
    Sweetener is awful asides from the singles.
    Sex & Cigarettes is boooring, waay too many ballads for me.
    I listened to Queen once, already forgot how most of the tracks sounded like.
    Liberation is okay, a couple tracks are really good though.
    Caution is alright.
    Not really into Janelle Monae's music sadly.

2018 was definitely not the best year in terms of albums for me. There's no album from last year that I truly enjoyed from start to finish.
    "Awful" is harsh.

The ballads on Sex & Cigarettes aren't super slow, though. They're pretty much all mid-tempo. I also disliked Queen on the first spin, but it's a massive grower!

Liberation has a few eclectic moments that really separate it from your standard pop album, but it's the standard pop moments that made the biggest impression on me.

I think "alright" from you to describe a Mariah album is pretty high praise!

Aw, not even "Django Jane"?
    Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [200-176]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

by Ľ Wed January 9th, 2019, 12:00

Incredibly solid top 10. Out of the ones I have heard, I like them all.
    Special shout outs to Ariana, Kacey Musgraves and Janelle - these girls won 2018 in my books

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by Ľ Fri January 11th, 2019, 15:28

I listened to Dirty Computer a few times.. I don't love ALL of it, but there are some really great tracks. Most particularly Screwed, Django Jane, I Like That and Crazy Classic Life

Legend
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)

by Ľ Sat January 12th, 2019, 20:32

10. Ariana Grande - Sweetener
    08. Nicki Minaj - Queen
    07. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
    06. Years & Years - Palo Santo
    05. Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty
    04. Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born
    03. Christina Aguilera - Liberation
    02. Mariah Carey - Caution
    01. Janelle MonŠe - Dirty Computer

Strong Top10, as expected! So, so happy with "Sweetener" just making the Top10. You know I would have loved an even better position, but Top10 is obviously great so I shouldn't complain. "Queen", "Golden Hour", "Palo Santo", "Liberation", "A Star Is Born" and "Cry Pretty" also made a strong impression on me, though the latter is quite disappointing all things considered. Top5 is definitely a big surprise, but Carrie deserves it. Here's hope the next album will be better again...
    "Dirty Computer" is definitely a deserved #1. The first time I checked Janelle out and I liked it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)

by Ľ Sat January 12th, 2019, 21:49

Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova
    Incredibly solid top 10. Out of the ones I have heard, I like them all.
    Special shout outs to Ariana, Kacey Musgraves and Janelle - these girls won 2018 in my books
    Yeah, those three girls did great work this year, two in particular stunned me!

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    I listened to Dirty Computer a few times.. I don't love ALL of it, but there are some really great tracks. Most particularly Screwed, Django Jane, I Like That and Crazy Classic Life
    Glad you liked Dirty Computer to some extent. In my experience, the songs that didn't make a big initial splash turned out to be growers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    10. Ariana Grande - Sweetener
    08. Nicki Minaj - Queen
    07. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
    06. Years & Years - Palo Santo
    05. Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty
    04. Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born
    03. Christina Aguilera - Liberation
    02. Mariah Carey - Caution
    01. Janelle MonŠe - Dirty Computer

Strong Top10, as expected! So, so happy with "Sweetener" just making the Top10. You know I would have loved an even better position, but Top10 is obviously great so I shouldn't complain. "Queen", "Golden Hour", "Palo Santo", "Liberation", "A Star Is Born" and "Cry Pretty" also made a strong impression on me, though the latter is quite disappointing all things considered. Top5 is definitely a big surprise, but Carrie deserves it. Here's hope the next album will be better again...
    "Dirty Computer" is definitely a deserved #1. The first time I checked Janelle out and I liked it.
    Yay at you appreciating 90% of the top 10!

Sweetener is a weird album for me because, like I've said before, it has her two best songs ("Breathin", "God Is a Woman") but beyond those two songs, there really isn't anything absolutely stunning, and then there's "Blazed", which I still don't like. She still has years to really get it right, and I think she will.

Cry Pretty isn't her best work from a lyrical perspective, but it benefits from not having a truly bad song on it.

Happy you appreciate Dirty Computer!
    Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [200-176]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.