User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who is my 2018 artist of the year?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ariana Grande

2 50.00%
  • Janelle Monáe

2 50.00%
  • Lady Gaga

0 0%
  • Mariah Carey

0 0%
  • Years & Years

0 0%

Thread: Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-01-19, 06:59

It's time to wrap up my 2018 music summary, and here's the final part to complete the trilogy set - my artists countdown!

I'm comfortable enough with the methodology I implemented in 2012 to roll it forward another year.

Component #1 - each artist earns points for each song and album he or she had in my top 100 songs and top 25 albums lists. So "Breathin", which was #1 on my songs list, earned Ariana Grande 100 points, "God Is a Woman", which was #2, produced 99 points for Ms. Grande, and so on.

Component #2 - my #1 album, Dirty Computer, earns Janelle Monáe 100 points, my #2, Caution, gives Mariah Carey 96 points, and Liberation, which was third, translates to 92 points for Christina Aguilera, and so on.

Component #3 - the number of plays an artist got is translated directly into the third element of the equation, so if Lady Gaga managed 800 spins for 2018, she gets 800 points.

So below are the five nominees for artist of the year! Take your best punt in the poll.

Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 09-01-19, 07:30

25. Azealia Banks - 150 points

She's been around for the better part of a decade, but 2018 is the first time Azealia Banks has ever made my year-end artists list. Her inclusion is down to her releasing what I believe to be her career-best song in "Treasure Island". She's talented enough that this probably won't be the last time she features on my artists countdown.
    Code:
    Last Year's Rank: NE
    No. of Plays: 100
    Year-End Songs: Treasure Island [#51]
    24. Florence + the Machine - 158 points

Well off from her #6 peak in 2015, Florence + the Machine missed the mark for me, sonically, in 2018. This year marked the first time a Florence + the Machine era was unable to produce a song good enough to feature in my top 100 songs countdown since I started following the band in 2012. The voice is still there, the songwriting talent is still there, so I'm confident that the production element will be enhanced for the next era.
    Code:
    Last Year's Rank: RE
    No. of Plays: 114
    Year-End Albums: High as Hope [#15]
    23. Drake - 180 points

Two places below his 2016 peak of #21, Drake delivered some pretty impressive production in 2018, but none of the songs were good enough to impact my top 100 songs list, so despite releasing an LP considerably stronger than Views, the world's biggest rapper is unable to break the top 20. Perhaps he'll get it right next time.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 144
    Year-End Albums: Scorpion [#17]
    22. Lana Del Rey - 206 points

Keeping the momentum from last year going, where she achieved her highest peak on my artists countdown in five years, in 2018 Lana Del Rey released two lovely teasers to her upcoming LP. She's really whet my appetite for what's to come in 2019. She'll probably never return to her 2012 heights, where she had two tracks in my year-end top 10 songs, my year-end #1 album, and was my third favourite artist that year, but I suspect she could get dangerously close to that magical time.
    Code:
    Last Year's Rank: 11
    No. of Plays: 139
    Year-End Songs: Mariners Apartment Complex [#45]; Venice Bitch [#90]
    21. The Weeknd - 239 points

The Weeknd just needed one song to feature here, but it was a big one - my Black Panther anthem "Pray for Me"! It's a good thing he and Kendrick Lamar were able to come up with that one because nothing from his My Dear Melancholy EP clicked with me. Still, for an artist whose peak on my artist countdown is #14 (from 2015) it's pretty impressive how far he was able to get with a single song.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 148
    Year-End Songs: Pray for Me [#10]

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 10-01-19, 19:35

20. Jason Mraz - 282 points

In his debut appearance on my artists countdown, Jason Mraz strums his way to a top 20 finish. Bolstered by the incredible "Have It All", 2018 was the first year I really took time out for Jason since I checked out his We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. album ages ago. I hope he keeps making music for years to come because his clever, charming songwriting is ace, and I want more of that sound in my music library.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 128
    Year-End Songs: Have It All [#7]; Unlonely [#89]
    Year-End Albums: Know [#14]
    19. En Vogue - 286 points

The most vocally gifted girl group in music history returned in 2018 with an immaculate gem, the brilliantly crafted, divinely harmonised "Rocket", which finished 2018 as my top non-Ariana song of the year. Album-wise, they weren't as impressive, but I'm still optimistic about their prospects, and hope they stick together, and either write or fight for some better songs because when you pair top-quality talent with top-quality music, you get songs like "Rocket", and the R&B genre needs more epic songs like that one.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 176
    Year-End Songs: Rocket [#3]
    Year-End Albums: Electric Café [#23]
    18. SZA - 291 points

SZA's recently burst onto the scene, and she's already one of the young darlings of the music industry. Not all of her music connects with me, and the songs that do end up taking a long time to really hit me, but she came through in a big way in 2018 on "All the Stars", one of the two big Black Panther hits, and on her solo effort "Pretty Little Birds", where I wholly endorsed her vocals, lyricism, and sound. I look forward to more alternative R&B from SZA, and know now that she's good enough for me to commit the extra few spins to find the brilliance that usually exists within her music, hiding beneath the surface.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 144
    Year-End Songs: All the Stars [#36]; Pretty Little Birds [#58]; Homemade Dynamite [#62]
    17. Toni Braxton - 292 points

Last year, "Deadwood" set the stage for a big 2018 for Toni, and Sex & Cigarettes delivered on what "Deadwood" promised. A classy, sophisticated delivery of R&B is what we got from Toni Braxton. I hope to hear more fun, optimistic music for Toni in the future. She does the heartbreak theme well, but it'd be nice to hear happier tracks from her.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 113
    Year-End Songs: Sex & Cigarettes [#35]; Coping [#61]; Long as I Live [#96]
    Year-End Albums: Sex & Cigarettes [#9]
    16. Taylor Swift - 301 points

Last year's champ, one of the most successful artists on my charts ever, and one of my all-time favourite music queens, 2018 was a relatively low-profile year for Taylor Swift. She featured on Sugarland's "Babe", released "Delicate", and that was about it. We should be getting a new album in 2019, which automatically makes her one of the favourites for the 2019 crown. Let's see how the year plays out!
    Code:
    Last Year's Rank: 1
    No. of Plays: 222
    Year-End Songs: Babe [#50]; Delicate [#73]

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 14:38

Jason! Yaaaaaaaas. Also here for Flo and Taylor, but mainly Jason! Yaaaaaaas.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 11-01-19, 18:07

Yasss Toni, she proved what an R&B icon she is with her music in 2018!

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 02:01

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron
    Jason! Yaaaaaaaas. Also here for Flo and Taylor, but mainly Jason! Yaaaaaaas.
    I really appreciated him this year!

Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova
    Yasss Toni, she proved what an R&B icon she is with her music in 2018!
    Agreed. Props to the producers on serving up some contemporary R&B beats, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    Here for SZA!
    She grows on me a bit more each year.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 02:39

15. Clean Bandit - 324 points

It's the first year Clean Bandit have ever featured on my year-end artist countdown, and it took the combined power of the exquisite, sophisticated earworm "Baby" and the emotional dancefloor stomper "Solo" to get them here. I look forward to listening to their album, and they could have a strong 2019 if they continue blending their powerful melodies with a wide range of talented singers. Also, props to them on delivering solid music videos. Not many people care about the art form of the music video nowadays.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 180
    Year-End Songs: Baby [#17]; Solo [#41]
    14. Troye Sivan - 333 points

I liked his indie-pop, minimalist sound in 2015 to the extent that I thought he was cute, though not chart-worthy, but Troye Sivan returned in 2018 with unabashed pure pop, and completely changed the way I viewed him as an artist. He's grown so much, and I feel like his best is yet to come!
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 187
    Year-End Songs: Dance to This [#25]; My My My! [#71]
    Year-End Albums: Bloom [#16]
    13. Cardi B - 379 points

Even with a new album, Cardi B stays stuck in thirteenth place this year. The non-movement came down to none of the songs on Invasion of Privacy connecting with me the way "Bodak Yellow" did, but the LP proved that Belcalis is more than just a flash-in-the-pan, one-hit wonder. She's a force to be reckoned with. I hope she hones her craft, and continues to excel on commercial and critical fronts. There's more than enough room in hip/hop for two successful females, and in 2018, Cardi B proved that she's earned her place.
    Code:
    Last Year's Rank: 13
    No. of Plays: 205
    Year-End Songs: Money Bag [#52]; Be Careful [#55]; Bartier Cardi [#78]
    Year End Albums: Invasion of Privacy [#12]
    12. Kendrick Lamar - 398 points

One of the main contributors to the Black Panther soundtrack, Kendrick Lamar finally won me over in 2018 with his intelligent lyricism, this time paired with catchy, radio-friendly, mainstream-ready melodies. I've criticised his flow for being choppy, but he delivered his bars with a seamless flow in 2018, and if nothing else, he has my attention enough that I'll at least give him more of a chance moving forward.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 242
    Year-End Songs: Pray for Me [#10]; All the Stars [#36]
    11. Kacey Musgraves - 463 points

Missing out on the top 10 is the insanely gifted country storyteller Kacey Musgraves, achieving a new peak on my artists countdown. She balanced realism and romance like a pro in 2018, and continues forging her status as one of her genre's finest talents of the new millennium...and really of all-time. Hope she keeps up the stellar work in the years to come.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 152
    Year-End Songs: Happy & Sad [#28]; Oh, What a World [#30]; High Horse [#34]; Butterflies [#77]
    Year End Albums: Golden Hour [#7]

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 19:48

23. Drake - 180 points
    13. Cardi B - 379 points

Yay for these! They all released some good stuff in 2018. Quite a shocker how Cardi missed out your Top10 though, so I'm excited to see who ended up there.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 12-01-19, 20:50

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike
    23. Drake - 180 points
    13. Cardi B - 379 points

Yay for these! They all released some good stuff in 2018. Quite a shocker how Cardi missed out your Top10 though, so I'm excited to see who ended up there.
    You'll see half of them within the next half hour!

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 13-01-19, 02:23

10. Years & Years - 572 points

2016's "Meteorite" was the first Years & Years song that really connected with me, so I went into the Palo Santo era as a fairly new Y&Y fan, and the boys delivered in a truly fantastic way, and right from the start, too! "Sanctify" set the stage, and Palo Santo proved to be a delightfully produced dark pop record. There really wasn't a misstep, and I look forward to great new music from the band.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 265
    Year-End Songs: Sanctify [#13]; Palo Santo [#21]; Hallelujah [#42]
    Year-End Albums: Palo Santo [#6]
    09. Lorde - 591 points

This new peak for Lorde is atonement on my end for carelessly dismissing Melodrama for most of 2017, and connecting with the album too late for Lorde to have as big an impact on my 2017 year-end countdowns as she should have. "Sober", though, was a therapeutic escape for me for much of January. One thing's for sure: I'm giving Lorde's next album a few plays before settling on an opinion of it!
    Code:
    Last Year's Rank: 16
    No. of Plays: 455
    Year-End Songs: Sober[#4]; Homemade Dynamite [#62]
    08. Carrie Underwood - 688 points

It was a strange year for Carrie Underwood. "The Champion" was a great early release that had me totally pumped for more new music, then "Cry Pretty" came out, and I was left wanting so much more. The ship was righted when I heard "Love Wins", and the album proved to be significantly better than its title track suggested, so, overall, 2018 was decent for Carrie. The album, however, didn't have a truly perfect song on it, which marks the first time in Carrie's career that she's released an album without a 10/10 track. Hopefully, she'll fix this hiccup and return to finer form for her next effort. She's off some way from her 2012 #2 peak, but she's proving to still be a major force on my charts, and ends this year, as she has on so many occasions, as my top country act.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 333
    Year-End Songs: Love Wins [#22]; The Champion [#23]; Drinking Alone [#42]; Kingdom [#65]; Backsliding [#80]
    Year-End Albums: Cry Pretty [#5]
    07. Nicki Minaj - 853 points

A non-mover this year even with an album (just like Cardi B), we have the rap queen Nicki Minaj. Since 2010, Onika has been the premier female hip/hop star, but in 2018, she took a backseat (from a commercial standpoint) to the Cardi B show. Despite some drama leading up to the release, Queen proved that whilst Nicki may not be the chart force she once was, her pen game is still lethal, and she still knows how to assemble a strong team of producers to keep the beats fresh. And her flow? Still one of the best of all-time. Nicki may have disappointed on several personal fronts in 2018, but, musically, she returned with a statement album. She's off from her 2010 #2 peak here, but she ends the year, as she usually does, as my top hip/hop act.
    Code:
    Last Year's Rank: 7
    No. of Plays: 481
    Year-End Songs: Good Form [#12]; Ganja Burn [#46]; Bed [#48]; Woman Like Me [#57]; Come See About Me [#60]; Chun-Li [#83]
    Year-End Albums: Queen [#8]
    06. Christina Aguilera - 914 points

Improving on her 2012 #7 peak, Christina Aguilera did what she's been doing for two decades - release high-quality pop music, with soaring vocals, and big female empowerment lyrics. I appreciated her delving into a broad array of genres on her Liberation LP. She made some clever sampling decisions, and enlisted some names I'd never seen or heard of before, and it's great that she still takes risks with her music. It helps keep her sound contemporary and fresh. I also appreciate her not recording a 22-track album, with five or six fillers. She kept it short, high-quality, and cute, and that's what I wanted from her. Christina's never really gotten the attention, praise, commercial success, or critical acclaim that she deserves, but she'll undoubtedly end her career as a music legend, and probably get all her flowers posthumously. I look forward to new Christina Aguilera music whenever she comes around again. She may take ages to release new music, but at least when she does, the material is good.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 486
    Year-End Songs: Fall in Line [#6]; Twice [#14]; Maria [#19]; Pipe [#29]
    Year-End Albums: Liberation [#3]

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 00:51

Kacey Musgraves and Cardi B are two of my favourite artists of 2018 as well. Both made an impact on the year, musically.
    I actually haven't listened to a single Christina Aguilera song from this era, for some reason. Need to check some out as I was a stan back in the day.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 01:20

Quote Originally Posted by UKMusicLova
    Kacey Musgraves and Cardi B are two of my favourite artists of 2018 as well. Both made an impact on the year, musically.
    I actually haven't listened to a single Christina Aguilera song from this era, for some reason. Need to check some out as I was a stan back in the day.
    Ooh, you've been missing some epic stuff!!! "Fall in Line" and "Twice" slay.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 01:20

05. Janelle Monáe - 967 points

As a lead act, Janelle Monáe had never featured on any of my year-end countdowns before 2018. Most of that came down to her just not being on my radar for most of the decade. I knew she existed, but didn't really consider her music my style. Her contributions to two of my favourite films of the last two years, Moonlight and Hidden Figures, made me take note of her, and I hopped on the fandom train early in the Dirty Computer era watching the videos for "Make Me Feel" and "Django Jane" the day they premiered. I've been hooked from then, and when I finally explored Dirty Computer and absorbed all of its layered magic, I knew Janelle Monáe was on for not only a big year on my charts, but she'd finally entered the upper echelons of contemporary artists. I'm still exploring her catalogue, and I'm really enjoying a lot of her output. I expect my love and appreciation for Janelle to grow, and thank her for her extraordinary contributions to music in 2018. I'd highlighted Years & Years and Troye Sivan as the two leading queer names in pop music, but in all genres, Janelle was my top LGBT+ name, and I can't wait for her to share more of her unique experiences through her capable, grade A storytelling lens. She's a bona fide trailblazer, and a much-needed leading voice in the choir of contemporary music stars.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 530
    Year-End Songs: Americans [#11]; I Like That [#15]; Crazy, Classic, Life [#38]; Make Me Feel [#40]; Django Jane [#64]
    Year-End Albums: Dirty Computer [#1]
    04. Kylie Minogue - 1,000 points

The goddess of pop music, Kylie Minogue has appeared on my year-end artists countdown twice: in 2012, and 2014. Both times she finished in fourteenth place, so she's well beyond where she's been before with this new #4 peak. Though Golden was a decent effort overall, I'll remember 2018 Kylie for "Raining Glitter" and "Live a Little", both songs expressing so much of what I felt during the year. I admire ageing pop stars who are able to retain the magic that made them superstars, and I applaud Kylie for never etching out the fun in her music.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 759
    Year-End Songs: Raining Glitter [#8]; Live a Little [#26]; Dancing [#94]; Shelby '68 [#95]
    Year-End Albums: Golden [#11]
    03. Lady Gaga - 1,408 points

Lady Gaga has had a storied history on my year-end charts. Let's take a brief look at her success: #15 in 2010, #5 in 2011, #3 in 2013, #7 in 2014, #9 in 2015, #3 in 2016, and now #3 again in 2018. Remove Beyoncé and Rihanna from the conversation, and Gaga would probably be my artist of the decade. She's achieved much of this success doing an avante garde brand of pop music. Her eccentricity and wildness is what drew me to her, but in recent years, she's veered away from her big shock value pop songs and videos, and stuck to a more straightforward narrative. She's managed this transition without sacrificing any lustre, and I applaud that. A Star Is Born isn't totally left field for her in sound, but it does put her vocal talent to the forefront, and it's been refreshing to appreciate her as just a balladeer, and not the dance-pop megastar we were introduced to during The Fame. In the same breath, I'm eager for her to return to her Fame/Fame Monster/ARTPOP sound. Gaga can write a mean pop song, fully equipped with all the necessary emotional and production fittings, and right now the pop genre is in a state where we need the leading ladies of the decade to return with high-quality stuff. She's set the stage brilliantly to own 2019. I hope she delivers in the way only she can. For me, she was always unimaginably exceptional, but for the general public, in 2018, a star was truly reborn. May she continue to shine bright for another decade or two to come.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 1,049
    Year-End Songs: I'll Never Love Again [#9]; Shallow [#16]; Always Remember Us This Way [#37]; Before I Cry [#84]; Why Did You Do That? [#88]
    Year-End Albums: A Star Is Born [#4]
    02. Mariah Carey - 1,816 points

Save for Janet Jackson, who had the benefit of me exploring her entire discography in full in 2018, Mariah Carey is my most-played act of 2018. Speaking of stats, MC's 2018 numbers look eerily similar to her 2014 profile. Yet again, she's the most-played eligible act (1,394 plays in 2018 versus 1,387 spins in 2014). Yet again, she has the #2 album of the year. And yet again she finishes second-best to a younger leading diva. These may seem like failures with her not getting the #1, but, in fact, they're massive achievements. 28 years into her career, MC is still delivering fresh, contemporary music. Caution was a hugely impressive release. Sexy; fun; introspective, deep, highly emotional and personal; great production choices; haunting, impacting, capable, and a wise runtime that is a bit on the shorter side, but never feels anything less than complete. In a lot of other years, Mimi would have taken the top spot, but she earns a well-fought second place this time (with the highest total for a runner-up since 2013), and proves that she may be the greatest singer-songwriter of all-time, but she's not resting on her laurels. She's continuing to push herself as a songwriter and producer, and she's going to keep recording brilliant music for many more years to come. And as a fan, that's a pretty reassuring fact to consider.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 1,394
    Year-End Songs: With You [#5]; Giving Me Life [#27]; Portrait [#32]; Caution [#39]; 8th Grade [#76]
    Year-End Albums: Caution [#2]
    01. Ariana Grande - 1,873 points

I called Ariana Grande the heir apparent early on in my year-end songs countdown, and here she is, a month later, picking up her well-earned crown. Let's take a look at her journey to the top of the mountain: #18 in 2013, #16 in 2014, #12 in 2016, and now the queen in 2018. It takes a lot to take down Mariah Carey, but Ariana accomplished an unprecedented feat when she claimed not only my #1 song of 2018, but my #2 as well! She truly decimated the competition on the song end of things, with the year's highest total of entries in my top 100 songs countdown (eight songs). She fell down a bit on the album part of the equation, as Sweetener could only manage 10th place, but enough damage had been done. I applaud Ariana for doing so many things well in 2018. When you're a young pop diva in her prime, you can really sing about anything and achieve hits with a big enough machine behind you, but Ariana really put out powerful, positive messages in her music in 2018. In "Everytime", she candidly confronts the challenges of relapsing into an unhealthy relationship. In "No Tears Left to Cry", she picks up the pieces after a deeply traumatic and well-publicised concert bombing tragedy. In "Get Well Soon", she touches on anxiety struggles and pays homage through a 40-second-long space of silence to the Manchester concert victims. In "Thank U, Next", she respectfully acknowledges her past relationships, and pledges to spend time engaging in self-healing and self-love. In "God Is a Woman", she summons the spirit of pop matriarch Madonna and delivers the preeminent female empowerment and sexual liberation anthem of the decade in a remarkably bold and unapologetic fashion. And with "Breathin", she helped to save me from some of my personal moments of great anxiety, reminding all her fans and the general public to take things one step at a time, live in the moment, and keep pressing on. Even if I didn't love every single song she put out, I feel like so much of Ariana's music in 2018 served a purpose, and within a genre that is so callously cast aside as frivolous and shallow, I'm proud that the biggest pop star of the year used her platform to share messages of healing, self-love, gratitude, and equality with millions. She's fully converted me, and I cannot wait to see what this young phenom does next. I haven't agreed with most of the Billboard charts this year, but, on Ariana Grande, Billboard and I are of the same accord - she is undeniably the woman (and artist) of the year.
    Code:
    No. of Plays: 1,330
    Year-End Songs: Breathin [#1]; God Is a Woman [#2]; Thank U, Next [#20]; Dance to This [#25]; Bed [#48]; Get Well Soon [#72]; No Tears Left to Cry [#79]; Everytime [#82]
    Year-End Albums: Sweetener [#10]

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 14-01-19, 07:17

It's odd to see Lorde in a chart of this year! Ariana is a worthy number one, for what she represents now as much as her musical output.

Clean Bandit, Troye, Years & Years are great to see.

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-01-19, 19:26

10. Years & Years - 572 points
    09. Lorde - 591 points
    08. Carrie Underwood - 688 points
    07. Nicki Minaj - 853 points
    06. Christina Aguilera - 914 points
    05. Janelle Monáe - 967 points
    04. Kylie Minogue - 1,000 points
    03. Lady Gaga - 1,408 points
    02. Mariah Carey - 1,816 points
    01. Ariana Grande - 1,873 points

Very strong Top10, I like them all and they all released something that caught my eyes (or ears) as well in 2018. Mariah being a close #2 is a bit surprising though, but good for her!
    Obviously very happy about Ariana getting that #1 spot. 2018 was definitely her year and I'm looking so forward to her next steps. She's on top of her game right now and I'm so, so pleased to see all that!

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 07-02-19, 09:17

I'm surprised that "With You" was your top Mimi track from Caution.

Also really good to see Janelle in the top 5.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-02-19, 18:37

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron View Post
    It's odd to see Lorde in a chart of this year! Ariana is a worthy number one, for what she represents now as much as her musical output.

Clean Bandit, Troye, Years & Years are great to see.
    I really should have given Lorde more love in 2017, so her position here is me atoning somewhat for my misjudgment in the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    Very strong Top10, I like them all and they all released something that caught my eyes (or ears) as well in 2018. Mariah being a close #2 is a bit surprising though, but good for her!
    Obviously very happy about Ariana getting that #1 spot. 2018 was definitely her year and I'm looking so forward to her next steps. She's on top of her game right now and I'm so, so pleased to see all that!
    Well, "With You" was my fifth favourite song of the year, Caution my second favourite album of the year, and MC herself my most-played eligible act this year, so she excelled in every metric. There would be no denying Ariana, though, and it's a pretty big feat when any artist can top MC on my charts.

Glad you like the top 10, though!

Quote Originally Posted by bm08 View Post
    I'm surprised that "With You" was your top Mimi track from Caution.

Also really good to see Janelle in the top 5.
    Yeah, I was enamoured with "With You" early on, and it's rather swiftly become one of my all-time favourite MC songs. There's something about the songwriting that is so deeply emotional and vulnerable, and then the way MC sings it, just really conveys the message so succinctly and powerfully.

What's your favourite Caution track?

Glad you also appreciate Janelle!

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-02-19, 19:05

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    What's your favourite Caution track?
    At the moment it's Caution (which you may have heard was recorded at Albany) but it used to be Giving Me Life.

Needless to say, it shifts with my mood lol

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » 16-02-19, 19:14

Quote Originally Posted by bm08 View Post
    At the moment it's Caution (which you may have heard was recorded at Albany) but it used to be Giving Me Life.

Needless to say, it shifts with my mood lol
    The album has four distinctly amazing moments for me: "With You", "Giving Me Life", "Caution", and "Portrait". I think "Caution" is the sexiest song she's ever done actually! "Portrait" teems with emotion. "Giving Me Life" is lush and a complete musical moment.

LOL, yes, I'm aware of that. I remember joking with a few co-workers that the one time I really needed to be at our Albany office I wasn't there.