Thread: thankfulforkelly’s Albums of 2018

I’m a duty manager now bitchessss
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Wed January 9th, 2019, 14:13

Even though we’re now in 2019 I thought I’d share my favourite albums of last year. Will be posting soon, get ready for basic flop divas galore
    Fiat 500

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Sun January 13th, 2019, 21:46

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be getting round to this soon. Little spoiler, Camila is only #7 Her album is good but lacking in bops let’s be real
    Fiat 500

Legend
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Fri February 1st, 2019, 20:56

1. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
    2. Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
    3. Ariana Grande - Sweetener
    4. The 1975 - A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships
    5. Rae Morris - Someone Out There
    6. Years & Years - Palo Santo
    7. Camila Cabello - Camila
    8. Bazzi - COSMIC
    9. First Aid Kit - Ruins
    10. Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy
    11. George Ezra - Staying At Tamara's
    12. Little Mix - LM5
    13. Lily Allen - No Shame
    14. Bebe Rexha - Expectations
    15. Nicki Minaj - Queen
    16. The Carters - Everything is Love
    17. Troye Sivan - Bloom
    18. Rita Ora - Phoenix
    19. Florence + the Machine - High as Hope
    20. Tinashe - Joyride
    21. The Villagers - The Art of Pretending to Swim
    Fiat 500

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Fri February 1st, 2019, 21:05

Couldn't be bothered to do this properly so here's my list bishes. Comment your thoughts but no flop opinions please!
    Fiat 500

Legend
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

by » Sun February 3rd, 2019, 06:42

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    Camila or Kacey for #1?
    So Kacey it is! Kacey makes for a good #1. Golden Hour isn't quite as impressive as Same Trailer Different Park, but it's definitely a solid album, among my favourites of 2018.

Dirty Computer is actually my favourite album of 2018, so yay at it finishing in second place here! Sweetener is home to my two favourite songs of 2018, but is a bit underwhelming overall, by Ariana's own high standards.

Palo Santo is special. I suspect I'll be playing "Sanctify" and the title track for many years to come. Queen and Invasion of Privacy prove that the two best names in hip/hop right now are female. I certainly prefer Nicki's album, as her pen game is so lethal, but Cardi's album was a strong debut, and I think she's got more great stuff in her.

Phoenix is a good pop album. Bloom showed growth from Troye.

Impressive list overall! The big omission is Mariah, but I'm so happy that Janelle placed high that I can kinda, sorta, maybe forgive the Caution ​exclusion.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)

by » Mon February 4th, 2019, 21:26

didn't listen to many albums last year so I'll just comment on the ones I know:

Golden Hour - stunning, my favourite album of the year too. I can't wait for the spring and summer to start so I can play it and walk around

Dirty Computer - didn't really get into it, I appreciate its artistry and ambition, but maybe I'm just not in a Janelle mood (though I loved the singles from it)

Sweetener - played it once or twice, but nothing really stuck with me. love the first two singles from it

Someone Out There - again, loved two of the singles, but the album didn't impress me that much. I'm just not an album person these days

No Shame - I like it, it has some standouts which are just amazing

Joyride - I mostly keep a few bops from it, but it has some nice album gems like Stuck Wit Me, such an intriguing and different song for her, love the Little Dragon addition

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Sun February 10th, 2019, 15:06

Thanks for the replies guys!
    So Kacey it is! Kacey makes for a good #1. Golden Hour isn't quite as impressive as Same Trailer Different Park, but it's definitely a solid album, among my favourites of 2018.
    I love Kacey’s old style but something about Golden Hour really resonates with me and (not to be lame) connects with my soul. It’s nothing ground-breaking and yet at the same time it’s an album that is unlike anything else that has been released. I love the psychidelic touches and the simple yet affecting songwriting. It might be my favourite album ever.

Sweetener is home to my two favourite songs of 2018, but is a bit underwhelming overall, by Ariana's own high standards.
    I was unimpressed on first listen, but the album really grew on me. I still prefer the pop-bios (especially Breathin) and the more mellow tracks at the end of the album like Better Off and Pete Davidson, but the Pharrell tracks have grown on me and I think are unfairly judged. I think a lot of it is people want pure pop bangers from Ariana, and this album just isn’t that.

Nicki’s album is good but it’s a step down from The Pinkprint for me. I also find it grating how much she goes on about how great she and her music is, I know Cardi does it as well but it’s done in a slightly funnier/tongue in cheek way (Pussy so good I say my own name during sex)

I’ve never been interested in Mariah, not sure why. I checked out A No No and it was cute, and GTFO is a track I use and I love the memes that came from it lmao
    Fiat 500

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Sun February 10th, 2019, 15:16

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Golden Hour - stunning, my favourite album of the year too. I can't wait for the spring and summer to start so I can play it and walk around
    yessss carbon flawless taste, proud of you. Does this mean your music taste is officially basic given we have the same fave album of 2018?

Dirty Computer - didn't really get into it, I appreciate its artistry and ambition, but maybe I'm just not in a Janelle mood (though I loved the singles from it)
    I loved the album on first listen, but the more mellow tracks grew on me a lot. They have very subtle but clever lyrics and nice production (Even though you say you love me, is it me or do you just love my disguise?)

Sweetener - played it once or twice, but nothing really stuck with me. love the first two singles from it
    I’d really recommend coming back to it! Breathin onwards is especially strong (except borderline). I think you could get into Better Off, Goodnight n Go, Pete Davidson and Get Well soon

Joyride - I mostly keep a few bops from it, but it has some nice album gems like Stuck Wit Me, such an intriguing and different song for her, love the Little Dragon addition
    Joyride is disappointing for me but I’m just relieved it came out. Either way it’s a real step down from Aqurius and Nightride. It just feels slightly cheap and there’s less vision to it. It’s nice though, and you’re right there are some bops on there hahaha
    Fiat 500