Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Freaky Fly Bry's Top 100 - A 20-year retrospective

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Thu March 28th, 2019, 05:51

26. DESTINY'S CHILD

Houston, TX, USA (1990-2006)

We heard from Beyoncé earlier as a solo artist, now here she is with Destiny's Child! I started paying more attention to them with their second album "The Writing's On The Wall", which has since become a classic; three of its singles became top 10 hits for me; "Bills, Bills, Bills", "Say My Name" and "Jumpin' Jumpin'". Later in 2000, they contributed "Independent Women" to the Charlie's Angels soundtrack; it became their first #1 for me, and their best chart performer. It heightened the anticipation for their next album "Survivor"; indeed, at the time, its title track set a record for highest debut ever on my chart at the time, debuting at #4; it would spend a total of five weeks at #1. The rest of the album was just as good; "Bootylicious" and "Emotion" turned out to be just as big. Following solo projects which saw their members, particularly Beyoncé, get solo success, they still owed it to the group to release one final album; "Destiny Fulfilled" was also a success, particularly lead single "Lose My Breath". They capped off their run as a group with a greatest hits album; its new single "Stand Up For Love" gave them one last top 10 on my chart.

1. Independent Women
    2. Say My Name
    3. Lose My Breath
    4. Survivor
    5. Jumpin' Jumpin'
    6. Bootylicious
    7. Emotion
    8. Soldier
    9. Bills, Bills, Bills
    10. Girl

390. 'N Sync - Pop
    389. Calvin Harris feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean - Feels
    388. Nick Carter & Avril Lavigne - Get Over Me
    387. Kate Voegele - Unusual
    386. Tyler Hilton & Kate Voegele - When The Stars Go Blue
    385. Lifehouse - Broken
    384. James Blunt - You're Beautiful
    383. Ed Sheeran - Perfect
    382. Demi Lovato - Sexy Dirty Love
    381. U2 - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
    380. Idina Menzel - Let It Go
    379. John Mayer - Your Body Is A Wonderland
    378. Kelly Clarkson - Tie It Up
    377. Sara Bareilles - King Of Anything
    376. Fatboy Slim - Praise You

Here we have the highest entries for Calvin Harris on a star-studded collaboration, Tyler Hilton on a live remake of a song he'd previously recorded, but this version has Kate Voegele singing the female parts; James Blunt with his mid-2000's best-seller, another British male, but one much more successful, Ed Sheeran with his prom ballad "Perfect"; Idina Menzel with her "Frozen" song, Sara Bareilles with another "angry at her record label" songs, and EDM DJ Fatboy Slim! We also see 'N Sync with their turn at "dirty pop", a collaboration between Nick Carter and Avril Lavigne, both of whom returned to #1 last year; Kate Voegele with one of many charting songs from her "Gravity Happens" album; Lifehouse with one of many hits from her; Demi Lovato with a sexy dirty song from her most recent album; U2 with one of many classics from their album proving their longevity into a new millennium "All That You Can't Leave Behind", John Mayer with the cheesiest pickup line ever, and proving she can sing any genre well, Kelly Clarkson on her turn to country music, "Tie It Up", celebrating her then-recent marriage!

25. MADONNA

Born: August 16, 1958, Bay City, MI, USA

Iconic and legendary... two words that don't even begin to describe Madonna's impact on popular music, as she is arguably the most successful female artist of all time. It all started in 1983 when her debut album landed; and after its hit streak, she built upon it with the blockbuster album "Like A Virgin" and its lead single became her first #1 hit. In the 80's, she had a hit streak lasting over 5 years where everything she released made the top 5, and songs such as "Material Girl", "Live To Tell", "Papa Don't Preach", "Who's That Girl", "Like A Prayer" and "Express Yourself" were all part of that streak. One of Madonna's strength is that to evolve herself while continuing to appeal to new audiences, and this strength helped carry her through the 90's, as albums like "Erotica", "Bedtime Stories" and "Ray Of Light" had major hit streaks. By 1999, she was doing yet another movie hit for "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me"; "Beautiful Stranger" turned out to be her first #1 in my chart's era. The "Music" album carried on her success into the 2000's, and all three of its big hits also hit big on my chart. Since then, she has had some ups and downs, with the "Confessions On A Dancefloor" era being her most successful, with four top 10's, including the #1 hit "Hung Up". She last hit my top 10 in 2012 with "Give Me All Your Luvin'", which featured Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. New music is set to arrive soon, and I hope she will have another personal career high for me!

1. Beautiful Stranger
    2. American Pie
    3. Me Against The Music (with Britney Spears)
    4. Hung Up
    5. Music
    6. Die Another Day
    7. Don't Tell Me
    8. Get Together
    9. Sorry
    10. What It Feels Like For A Girl

375. Avril Lavigne - What The Hell
    374. Jessica Simpson - With You
    373. Ricky Martin - She Bangs
    372. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood
    371. Alyssa Reid - Talk Me Down
    370. Laura Marano - Boombox
    369. Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me
    368. Black Eyed Peas - Don't Phunk With My Heart
    367. Barenaked Ladies - You Run Away
    366. Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi
    365. Sixpence None The Richer - Kiss Me
    364. Ellie Goulding - Burn
    363. Taylor Swift - Shake It Off
    362. Niall Horan - Too Much To Ask
    361. No Doubt - Underneath It All

Here we have the highest entries for young Canadian star Shawn Mendes, Disney starlet Laura Marano, Canadian legends Barenaked Ladies, Christian pop group Sixpence None The Richer, British pop singer Ellie Goulding, and the highest solo entry from Irish singer Niall Horan, who still has more to come as part of One Direction. We also have two songs each from chart superstars Avril Lavigne and Taylor Swift, each representing vastly different periods of their careers. The rest of the songs here come from Latin heartthrob Ricky Martin, Jessica Simpson around the time of her "Newlyweds" reality show, Canadian starlet Alyssa Reid with an anti-suicide message (that she would revisit shortly afterwards as part of a multi-artist charity single), the Black Eyed Peas with their "Monkey Business" lead single, and a reggae-influenced No Doubt hit that became one of their signature songs!

24. ARIANA GRANDE

Born: June 26, 1993, Boca Raton, FL, USA

At #24 is one of today's biggest pop stars! Ariana started out on the Nickelodeon series Victorious, and then launched her music career with her debut album "Yours Truly", which generated modest success for me, including "Baby I". I knew she had potential but it took the right stuff for her to make it big for me - and her follow-up album, "My Everything", did just that, scoring four top 10 hits, including the #2 "Break Free" and her first #1, "One Last Time". I was intrigued as to her next move, and while the "Dangerous Woman" album was overall more inconsistent, it still gave her another #1 with the title track and a #2 with "Into You". Around this time, she teamed up with the legendary Stevie Wonder on the soundtrack single "Faith" which became her third #1. The moment her career changed forever was when terrorists attacked her show in Manchester... but Ariana only became stronger. Her next album "Sweetener" was led by a strong lead single, "No Tears Left To Cry", which became her fourth #1 and her best chart performer to date. This album also included another #1 song, "Breathin'", another of my favourites from her. Inspired by many of her ex-boyfriends, her next single and lead from her current album "Thank U, Next" became a viral sensation and gave her another top 5 on my chart - to date, it's her most recent top 10 for me, as the follow-ups have failed to make the same impact for me.

1. No Tears Left To Cry
    2. Faith (with Stevie Wonder)
    3. Break Free (with Zedd)
    4. Dangerous Woman
    5. Into You
    6. One Last Time
    7. Breathin'
    8. Love Me Harder (with The Weeknd)
    9. Problem (with Iggy Azalea)
    10. Thank U, Next

23. A Canadian female who shares her first name with another artist in the list.

360. Faber Drive - Tongue Tied
    359. Nelly - Just A Dream
    358. Janet Jackson - Someone To Call My Lover
    357. Avicii feat. Aloe Blacc - Wake Me Up
    356. Kate Voegele - Don't Count Me Out
    355. Melanie C feat. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes - Never Be The Same Again
    354. The Offspring - Why Don't You Get A Job?
    353. Lauren Winans feat. Ice Cold Jay - Sexy Goodbye
    352. Train - Calling All Angels
    351. Five - If Ya Gettin' Down
    350. Bon Jovi - This House Is Not For Sale
    349. Destiny's Child - Jumpin' Jumpin'
    348. Christina Aguilera - What A Girl Wants
    347. Alanis Morissette - Hands Clean
    346. Alyssa Reid - Running Guns

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Fri March 29th, 2019, 07:07

23. NELLY FURTADO

Born: December 2, 1978, Victoria, BC, Canada

At #23 is one of Canada's finest - Nelly Furtado! Born of Portuguese ancestry, she broke through in the early 2000's, and her debut album "Whoa Nelly" was a huge success, with two long-running songs that both peaked at #2 for me: "I'm Like A Bird" and "Turn Off The Light", the latter being my #1 song of 2001 despite not reaching #1 on a weekly chart - due to her songs breaking in Canada then making it big worldwide, both spent over 30 weeks in my top 40. She'd follow it up in 2003 with her "Folklore" album, diving straight into her Portuguese heritage for inspiration and generating three hit singles for me. However, this was nothing compared to her Timbaland-produced album "Loose" in 2006, which would become her best selling ever and generate a streak of hit singles, four of which made my top 11, including her only #1 to date, "Say It Right". After all this, it became time to release a greatest hits album, which she did, and its lead single "Night Is Young" reached my top 3. She most recently hit my top 10 with a collaboration with K'naan on "Is Anybody Out There"; she has released two albums since, but neither one generated a strong hit single for me, though several did scrape the bottom of my chart.

1. Turn Off The Light
    2. I'm Like A Bird
    3. Say It Right
    4. All Good Things (Come To An End)
    5. On The Radio
    6. Try
    7. Is Anybody Out There (with K'naan)
    8. Maneater
    9. Powerless (Say What You Want)
    10. Night Is Young

22. The highest act on the list that is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

345. Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
    344. Nelly Furtado - On The Radio
    343. Maroon 5 - This Love
    342. Gwen Stefani - Used To Love You
    341. Kelly Clarkson - It's Quiet Uptown
    340. Demi Lovato - Heart By Heart
    339. Lady GaGa feat. Beyoncé - Telephone
    338. Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow - Picture
    337. Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away
    336. Blue October - Hate Me
    335. Kate Voegele - Crooked Road
    334. Ariana Grande - No Tears Left To Cry
    333. Matchbox Twenty - Bright Lights
    332. Kylie Minogue - Slow
    331. Backstreet Boys - Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Here we have the highest entries from Eurodance group Alice Deejay, Detroit rocker Kid Rock (with an assist from Sheryl Crow), funk rocker Lenny Kravitz, Texas alternative rockers Blue October, Matchbox Twenty with their hit from their reunion album "North" and one of today's biggest pop stars - Ariana Grande! We also see the fifth highest entry from the artist just revealed, Nelly Furtado, an early Maroon 5 hit, Gwen Stefani's lead single from her most recent album "This Is What The Truth Feels Like", Kylie Minogue proving her "Fever" comeback was no fluke as her "Body Language" album also got a big hit, a collaboration between Lady GaGa and Beyoncé that was the first #1 for the former for me, last year's comeback single from the Backstreet Boys proving nostalgia always wins, and continues to produce great memories for years to come, Demi Lovato with a Diane Warren-written ballad from "The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones", and finally, my chart's "two K's", the big girls of my chart, Kate Voegele with one of five #1's from her latest album "Canyonlands" and Kelly Clarkson with a song from "Hamilton"!

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Sun March 31st, 2019, 23:28

22. U2

Dublin, Ireland (1976-present)

Ever since the early 80's, U2 have been a thoughtful voice in the music scene and one of the leading bands in alternative rock, as well as being Ireland's biggest musical export of all time. Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen have delivered many classics over the years, tackling political turmoil in Ireland on "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and exploring the legacy of Martin Luther King on "Pride (In The Name Of Love)". But it was 1987's "The Joshua Tree" album that made them the biggest band in the world, and its hit singles "With Or Without You", "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Where The Streets Have No Name" have become classic rock staples in the decades following. During the 1990's, they constantly reinvented themselves with "Achtung Baby" being their biggest success that decade; its hit single "One" has become one of their most enduring classics with an eternal message for all generations. At the start of my chart's era, their first greatest hits compilation was released; its lead single "Sweetest Thing", a re-recorded version of an old B-side, was in my inaugural top 10. They started the 2000's with one of their most essential albums to date, "All That You Can't Leave Behind", which brought them back to their alternative rock roots and gave them a successful hit streak with "Beautiful Day" and the #1 hit "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" scoring big on my chart. The success continued on their follow-up album "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb", with "Vertigo" and "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" both reaching #1 for me. Collaborations with Mary J. Blige and Green Day continued the hit streak, and while they did slump for a bit for me, their most recent album "Songs Of Experience" marked a strong return to form. Its lead single "You're The Best Thing About Me" became their first #1 in 12 years and "Get Out Of Your Own Way" was also a top 20 hit. I'm looking forward to see where their fifth decade as a band will take them!

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    2. Beautiful Day
    3. You're The Best Thing About Me
    4. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
    5. Vertigo
    6. The Saints Are Coming (with Green Day)
    7. One (with Mary J. Blige)
    8. Electrical Storm
    9. Get Out Of Your Own Way
    10. Sweetest Thing

330. Mis-Teeq - Scandalous
    329. Marc Anthony - I Need To Know
    328. Stacie Orrico - Stuck
    327. Kylie Minogue - Giving You Up
    326. Girls Aloud - The Loving Kind
    325. Backstreet Boys - The One
    324. Tyler Shaw - House Of Cards
    323. Adele - Set Fire To The Rain
    322. Stef Lang - Mr. Immature
    321. U2 - You're The Best Thing About Me
    320. Demi Lovato - Neon Lights
    319. Lenny Kravitz - American Woman
    318. Demi Lovato feat. Cher Lloyd - Really Don't Care
    317. A Great Big World feat. Christina Aguilera - Say Something
    316. Britney Spears - Lucky

21. GOO GOO DOLLS

Buffalo, NY, USA (1986-present)

At #21 we find alternative rock heroes the Goo Goo Dolls! Originally starting out as a punk rock band in the 80's, by 1995 they had developed the hot adult contemporary style that they are best known for, which is when the ballad "Name" became their breakthrough single and it remains one of their best known songs to this day. Their superstar status was cemented when they contributed their song "Iris" to the "City Of Angels" soundtrack; it became a huge worldwide multi-format #1 smash. They followed it up with "Slide", which was their first song to chart for me and it made my top 5. Over the years, they have maintained their success, as their follow-up album "Gutterflower" gave them two more top 10 hits for me. However, it wasn't until the "Let Love In" album - led by "Better Days" - that they got a #1 on my chart; it was followed up by the top 10 hits "Stay With You" and the title track. The Goo Goo Dolls, unlike many legacy acts, are one band that I never lost interest in, as every album they have released since my chart started has given them at least two top 10 hits, which has continued well into the 2010's as they have released three studio albums this decade so far.

1. Better Days
    2. Slide
    3. Give A Little Bit
    4. Here Is Gone
    5. Black Balloon
    6. Notbroken
    7. The Pin
    8. Home
    9. Let Love In
    10. All That You Are

20. A flamboyant singer who has become a well-respected actress.

315. Adele - Hello
    314. Gwen Stefani - Early Winter
    313. Pearl Jam - Last Kiss
    312. Adele - Someone Like You
    311. Everlast - What It's Like
    310. Daniel Powter - Bad Day
    309. David Cook - Fade Into Me
    308. Nikki Williams - Glowing
    307. Santana feat. Rob Thomas - Smooth
    306. Lifehouse - You And Me
    305. Kelly Clarkson - Never Again
    304. Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft
    303. Katy Perry - Firework
    302. Celine Dion feat. Ne-Yo - Incredible
    301. Britney Spears - Womanizer

We're getting to the point where most of the songs that appear are by core artists; and the presence of the likes of Adele, Gwen Stefani, David Cook, Santana, Rob Thomas, Lifehouse, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry, Celine Dion and Britney Spears proves it. This set also includes the highest entries for legendary Seattle grunge band Pearl Jam, House of Pain solo breakout Everlast, American Idol exit theme from Daniel Powter, South African singer-songwriter Nikki Williams (with a song co-written by Bebe Rexha before she had any hits of her own), and Ne-Yo, on a collaboration with the aforementioned Celine Dion.

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Tue April 2nd, 2019, 07:50

20. LADY GAGA

Born March 28, 1986, New York, NY, USA

At #20 we have one of the most talked about female artists of the past decade! Born Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, she took on her stage name from the Queen song "Radio Ga Ga", and it has come to define her "gaga" personality over the years! She has been known to wear extravagant, jaw-dropping outfits at award shows that are still talked about today! Her debut album "The Fame" was released in 2008 and generated a streak of hits; the one that made the most impact for me was "Poker Face", which made my top 10 and had a long chart run. She followed this up with a sequel project, "The Fame Monster", further honing her sound and generating big hits such as "Bad Romance" and her first #1 and still best chart performer, "Telephone". While the iron was hot, she struck once again with "Born This Way"; its title track reached #1 for me and she got another #2 with "The Edge Of Glory"; this album still stands strong as one of my favourite overall efforts from her. I did lose interest during the "Artpop" era, which failed to generate any lasting hits for me, but "Joanne" started to win me back, particularly with its acoustic ballad "Million Reasons", which brought her back to the runner-up spot. "The Cure", a modern pop sounding song, brought her back to #1 after 6 years away from the top spot. Most recently, she starred in "A Star Is Born"; its soundtrack has been a huge success, and the Oscar-winning single "Shallow" with co-star Bradley Cooper was a top 5 hit for me. I'm sure wherever Lady GaGa goes... observant eyes and ears will be watching and listening, and I'm intrigued to see where her career will go next!

1. Telephone (with Beyoncé)
    2. The Edge Of Glory
    3. Born This Way
    4. Poker Face
    5. The Cure
    6. Bad Romance
    7. Million Reasons
    8. Marry The Night
    9. Shallow (with Bradley Cooper)
    10. Your Song

300. Daughtry - Home
    299. Backstreet Boys - Larger Than Life
    298. Bruno Mars - Treasure
    297. Crazy Town - Butterfly
    296. Jennifer Lopez - I'm Real
    295. Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z - Crazy In Love
    294. Destiny's Child - Survivor
    293. Britney Spears - Criminal
    292. Shania Twain - I'm Gonna Getcha Good
    291. Lonestar - Amazed
    290. U2 - Beautiful Day
    289. Maroon 5 feat. Wiz Khalifa - Payphone
    288. Janet Jackson - Doesn't Really Matter
    287. Ashlee Simpson - Boyfriend
    286. Jonas Brothers - When You Look Me In The Eyes

Again, we have the mega-successful artists here such as Daughtry, the Backstreet Boys, Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé (both solo and with Destiny's Child), Britney Spears, U2, Maroon 5, Janet Jackson and Ashlee Simpson, all of whom have more to come and appeared in my top 100 artists or will appear. But we also have the highest entries by Bruno Mars with a retro-styled song, Crazy Town with their one and only hit, country icons Shania Twain and Lonestar, and a boy band who recently made a comeback - the Jonas Brothers! Who knows if "Sucker" will surpass the success of the Hanson-esque ballad "When You Look Me In The Eyes"? I'm really liking it so far and makes for a natural evolution out of their solo projects into a new era together.

19. ALYSSA REID

Born: March 15, 1993, Edmonton, AB, Canada

At #19 is a young starlet from Canada that got her start on the YTV talent search show, The Next Star (which also gave us Victoria Duffield). Her debut single released after her appearance, "If You Are", was a quick hit for me, rising fast to #1, spending five weeks there and becoming her biggest hit to date. In 2011 she released her debut album "The Game", which also gave the hits "Alone Again" (which heavily borrows from Heart's "Alone") and the anti-suicide anthem "Talk Me Down", which became her second #1. It was clear by this point she'd be a strong chart force - and her next album "Timebomb" proved this, with three more #1's, all of which are in my top 5 best charters for me, with "Satisfaction Guaranteed" doing the best of the three. Her next album "Phoenix" continued the success, with "Dangerous" becoming another big #1 and her only song to make a top 10 year-end chart for me so far. Since then, she has had various one-off singles and EP's, with "Rollercoaster" topping my chart and "Badlands" also going top 10, her most recent to date.

1. If You Are
    2. Dangerous
    3. Satisfaction Guaranteed
    4. Hurricane
    5. Running Guns
    6. Talk Me Down
    7. Rollercoaster
    8. We Are Stars (with Virginia To Vegas)
    9. Alone Again
    10. Tomorrow

18. Another singer/actress, but in this case the acting came first.

285. Carrie Underwood - Blown Away
    284. Train - Drive By
    283. Alyssa Reid - Hurricane
    282. Christina Aguilera - Ain't No Other Man
    281. Destiny's Child - Lose My Breath
    280. Lorde - Perfect Places
    279. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue
    278. Kate Voegele - Sandcastles
    277. David Cook - The Last Goodbye
    276. Coldplay - Clocks
    275. Mary J. Blige - Be Without You
    274. Kate Voegele - Chicago
    273. Michelle Branch - Loud Music
    272. Collective Soul - This
    271. Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good

Here we lose the highest entries for country superstar Carrie Underwood, the legendary Red Hot Chili Peppers, alternative rock superstars Coldplay, R&B diva Mary J. Blige, 90's alternative rock stars Collective Soul, and the late soul star Amy Winehouse. We also have the highest entry for Train outside of their collaboration with Hall & Oates, which is still to come. We also get the 4th biggest hit for Alyssa Reid (as just revealed), Lorde with her first of two #1's on my chart, the last #1 for Destiny's Child, David Cook's long-running #2 hit "The Last Goodbye", Christina Aguilera's "Back To Basics" lead single, one of many one-off Michelle Branch singles during her 14-year hiatus between albums, and yess, even two Kate Voegele songs! "Chicago" was one I charted late, going back to "Don't Look Away" after charting most of the songs I'd charted from "A Fine Mess", and "Sandcastles" was one of the four #1's from her "Gravity Happens" album.

Legend
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

by » Wed April 3rd, 2019, 03:17

*NYSNC have some truly fantastic pop songs. Your top three faves from them are my top three as well!

Evanescence have some quality singles.

OMG, Beyoncé is much too low! I love your top three from her, but "Drunk in Love" is a glaring omission. That one is in the running for her career-best song! For me, she's actually gotten better since the 2010s decade began. 4 and Lemonade are two of the finest LPs of all-time!

Bruno Mars is easily the most consistent male artist of the last decade! His LPs don't have a tonne of tracks, but his songs have such a high standard of quality that you don't leave wanting more. I'm super excited for his new album, too!

Janet is a brilliant blend of unadulterated joy and fiery sensuality. I'm so happy I explored her catalogue in full last year. She's quickly become one of my top artists of all-time! I even like her music more than her big brother's!

Natasha Bedingfield will always have space in my music library, if only for the ever-infectious and uplifting "Pocketful of Sunshine".

My favourite Colbie Caillat song is "I Never Told You", so good to see that you hold it in high regard, too. I like a few Green Day singles.

I go back and forth on whether or not I really like Eminem as a person, but like him or not, his talent isn't up for debate. He may be the greatest rapper ever actually.

I would not have expected Nelly to be the top rapper here! "Dilemma" is brilliant, though.

A lot of people make fun of Nickelback's music, but they have some bops.

Chris Daughtry's elimination is probably the biggest shocker of an elimination in American Idol's history. His debut album was probably bigger than the rest of that season's contestants' careers, though. I still consider Daughtry to be one of the best albums ever.

Adele is a talented songwriter, and competent vocalist. Her music resonates with people more than perhaps any other artist in the industry today.

I refuse to believe "Unfaithful" is RiRi's sole #1 on your chart!!! Wow! Rihanna is the 21st century music queen for me. There is simply no one better who's emerged in the new millennium.

I grew up on Destiny's Child. I'll never not love their music.

Madonna and I have been through a journey. I went to admiring her to not quite appreciating her music, to slowly starting to see her brilliance, and now she might very well be my second-favourite artist of all-time.

Ariana Grande has grown on me so much over the last year.

I have grown to absolutely love Lady Gaga. She is truly a talented wonder, and I think she's easily among the top three most influential female artists of the last decade.

Spoiler!
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Sun April 7th, 2019, 00:16

18. JENNIFER LOPEZ

Born July 24, 1969, New York, NY, USA

At #18 is one of the mavens of entertainment... singer and actress Jennifer Lopez! After becoming a successful movie star, she branched out into music too, and has become one of the biggest entertainers in the world. Her debut album "On The 6", influenced by her Latin origins in the Bronx, generated two #1 hits on my chart, "If You Had My Love" and "Waiting For Tonight". The success became even bigger with her next album "J-Lo", which had another three #1 hits; she tapped more into an urban audience with her companion remix album, which featured appearances from the likes of Ja Rule. Her next album "This Is Me... Then" was also successful, and generated her latest #1 to date "Jenny From The Block" and the top 5 hit "All I Have". Ever since then, she has been rather inconsistent, with long periods without a major hit; in the 2010's, her appearances as part of the group "Jennifer Lopez featuring Pitbull" brought her back to the top 10 on my chart - despite my distaste in general for Pitbull, I feel those two generally had a good collaboration. Despite also having several songs I've hated in the past few years, she can still do good songs when she wants to as "Limitless" was just top 10 earlier this year and she is also currently charting with a duet with Bryan Adams.

1. Ain't It Funny
    2. If You Had My Love
    3. Jenny From The Block
    4. I'm Real
    5. Waiting For Tonight
    6. I'm Gonna Be Alright
    7. Play
    8. All I Have
    9. Love Don't Cost A Thing
    10. Let's Get Loud

270. Celine Dion - Alone
    269. Enya - Only Time
    268. Madonna - Beautiful Stranger
    267. Adele - When We Were Young
    266. Jesse McCartney - Superbad
    265. Uncle Kracker - Drift Away
    264. Beyoncé - Irreplaceable
    263. Evanescence - Call Me When You're Sober
    262. Ashlee Simpson - Pieces Of Me
    261. Nickelback - Savin' Me
    260. Bon Jovi - We Weren't Born To Follow
    259. Christina Aguilera - Beautiful
    258. Hilary Duff - Come Clean
    257. Five For Fighting - Superman
    256. Christina Aguilera - Fighter

17. CELINE DION

Born March 30, 1968, Charlemagne, QC, Canada

What is there to say about Celine Dion? Originally recording in her native French, she was a big star in Quebec and in France then she won Eurovision, which boosted her profile greatly. As the 1990's began, she started recording in English in addition to French, which made her a huge international star. Her streak of hits including songs such as "If You Asked Me To", "Where Does My Heart Beat Now", "The Power Of Love", "Because You Loved Me", and "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" showed off her talents very well, but what really brought her career to new highs was singing the theme to "Titanic"; "My Heart Will Go On" has remained her biggest hit worldwide and her signature song. As my chart era started, her duet with R. Kelly, "I'm Your Angel", was riding high in my top 10. It had come time for a greatest hits album; "All The Way" summed up her career up to that point very well, and its lead single, "That's The Way It Is", was a big #1 hit on my chart. Her next two albums, "A New Day Has Come" and "One Heart", both had success for me as the lead singles from each made my top 10. Her album "Taking Chances", as in many cases, teamed her classic sound with contemporary songwriting and production, and both its lead single and cover of Heart's "Alone" made my top 5. More recently, her album "Loved Me Back To Life" had three top 5 hits for me, most notably her duet with Ne-Yo, "Incredible", and just last year, her song from Deadpool, "Ashes", became her third #1 for me. With a new album in the works, I am looking forward to hearing what she has in store for us!

1. That's The Way It Is
    2. Ashes
    3. Alone
    4. Incredible (with Ne-Yo)
    5. Taking Chances
    6. A New Day Has Come
    7. My Love
    8. Loved Me Back To Life
    9. Thankful
    10. The Show Must Go On

255. Creed - One Last Breath
    254. Shaggy - It Wasn't Me
    253. Sheryl Crow - Soak Up The Sun
    252. Katy Perry - Part Of Me
    251. Backstreet Boys - Incomplete
    250. Katy Perry - Birthday
    249. OneRepublic - Stop & Stare
    248. Tal Bachman - She's So High
    247. Andee - Never Gone
    246. Nelly Furtado - All Good Things (Come To An End)
    245. Destiny's Child - Say My Name
    244. Delta Goodrem - In This Life
    243. Avril Lavigne - Keep Holding On
    242. Christina Aguilera - Keeps Gettin' Better
    241. Jennifer Lopez - Jenny From The Block

Here we lose the highest entries from the likes of Sheryl Crow, OneRepublic, Tal Bachman, Andee and Delta Goodrem, while moderately successful artists from primarily the early 2000's such as Creed, Shaggy, Destiny's Child, Jennifer Lopez and Nelly Furtado all make appearances. We also see a pair of Katy Perry #1's, as well as among the many #1's from the Backstreet Boys, Avril Lavigne and Christina Aguilera!

16. GWEN STEFANI

Born October 3, 1969, Fullerton, CA, USA

Back at #61 we saw No Doubt, now reverse the digits and we get their lead singer, Gwen Stefani, with her solo output! In the early days of my chart, while in between No Doubt albums, she did collaborations with artists such as Moby and Eve, which led to a full-blown solo career. The "Love Angel Music Baby" album was a success for me, with three of its singles reaching my top 3, including the #1 hit "What You Waiting For?" Her next album, "The Sweet Escape", was even more successful for me, giving her what are, to date, her three most successful songs on my chart, including the #1 hit "The Sweet Escape" and her best chart performer, "4 In The Morning", both of which were in my top 10 of 2007. Following a reunion album with No Doubt, an Eminem collaboration "Kings Never Die", and a one-off single "Baby Don't Lie", she returned with her third solo album "This Is What The Truth Feels Like"; it gave her two more #1's and a #2. I'm hoping we will get more new music from Gwen sometime soon, whether solo or with No Doubt... either way I'll be looking forward to hearing what direction she will take this time!

1. 4 In The Morning
    2. The Sweet Escape
    3. Early Winter
    4. Used To Love You
    5. Make Me Like You
    6. Hollaback Girl
    7. Misery
    8. Glycerine (with Bush)
    9. Cool
    10. What You Waiting For?

240. Backstreet Boys - Shape Of My Heart
    239. Britney Spears - Break The Ice
    238. David Cook - Light On
    237. Nelly Furtado - Say It Right
    236. Train - Drops Of Jupiter
    235. Pat Benatar - Dancing Through The Wreckage
    234. Anastacia - Take This Chance
    233. Katy Perry - Roar
    232. Gin Blossoms - Break
    231. Outkast - Hey Ya
    230. Lady Antebellum - Need You Now
    229. Miley Cyrus - The Climb
    228. Dido - Thank You
    227. Usher - Burn
    226. Taylor Swift - Blank Space

We lose a few other big names here, including David Cook, Anastacia, Outkast, Lady Antebellum, Miley Cyrus, Dido and Usher, along with "nostalgia always wins" cases Pat Benatar and the Gin Blossoms! We also lose the highest entries for Train and Taylor Swift outside of collaborations; each has one to come. We also lose Nelly Furtado's only #1, "Say It Right" - though she has two more to come, both peaked at #2. Finally, the other three artists are all heavy hitters among my top 15 best charting ever - the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears and Katy Perry!

15. BACKSTREET BOYS

Orlando, FL, USA (1993-present)

Several boybands have been big for me over the years, but the biggest clearly has to be the Backstreet Boys. Originally breaking through in the mid-90's with songs like "We've Got It Goin' On", their hit streak got going in 1997 with "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)", "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" and "As Long As You Love Me" all being inescapeable, and they became TRL darlings as well. Their hit streak continued into my chart's era, with their "Millennium" album breaking the first week sales record, and its four singles all reaching #1 on my chart - the first album to do so, and the album as a whole remains a gold standard for boy bands to this date. "Black & Blue" was also a successful album, particularly lead single "Shape Of My Heart", and a greatest hits followed, including the new song "Drowning". Normally a greatest hits for a boy band indicates they are finished, but that wasn't so for the Backstreet Boys - their next album proved they were "never gone", and its lead single "Incomplete" became yet another #1. Further proving their longevity and that nostalgia always wins, their most recent album "DNA" was released this year, and gave them two more #1's on my chart - "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" and "Chances". Backstreet's back, alright!

1. I Want It That Way
    2. Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely
    3. Shape Of My Heart
    4. Incomplete
    5. Larger Than Life
    6. The One
    7. Don't Go Breaking My Heart
    8. Drowning
    9. In A World Like This
    10. All I Have To Give

14. The highest artist not from North America.

225. Santana feat. Steven Tyler - Just Feel Better
    224. Kate Voegele - Say You're Mine
    223. 'N Sync - It's Gonna Be Me
    222. Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me
    221. Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape
    220. Toni Braxton - He Wasn't Man Enough
    219. Chad Kroeger & Josey Scott - Hero
    218. Jesse McCartney - How Do You Sleep
    217. Blink 182 - I Miss You
    216. Eminem - Lose Yourself
    215. Graham Colton - Best Days
    214. Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera - Moves Like Jagger
    213. Carly Rae Jepsen - Tonight I'm Getting Over You
    212. Samantha Mumba - Gotta Tell You
    211. Harry Styles - Sign Of The Times

Here we lose the highest entries for 90's soul diva Toni Braxton with one of her best songs ever, Jesse McCartney with my favourite song from his "Departure" album, pop-punk titans Blink 182 with a midtempo ballad, legendary rapper Eminem from his autobiographical movie "8 Mile", singer-songwriter Graham Colton with his only significant hit for me, and Irish pop siren Samantha Mumba - the biggest hit from her only studio album. We also have the highest solo entry from Harry Styles, the epic 6-minute lead single from his debut solo album - he still has two more songs to come with One Direction. The rest is made up of artists who have at some point been core for me - a classic rock clash of the titans between Carlos Santana and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler, Kate Voegele with her "Gravity Happens" album opener, the title track from Demi Lovato's latest album, Gwen Stefani's arguably signature solo song "The Sweet Escape", Chad Kroeger teaming up with Josey Scott on their song from "Spider-Man" (Chad has a few still to come as lead singer of Nickelback), a collaboration between "The Voice" judges Adam Levine (with his group Maroon 5) and Christina Aguilera, and Carly Rae Jepsen with a breakup anthem from her "Kiss" album. Finally, we have a song by 'N Sync that, every April 30th, tends to come back around as a meme. Guess what? "It's gonna be May"!

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Tue April 9th, 2019, 07:25

14. KYLIE MINOGUE

Born: May 28, 1968, Melbourne, Australia

At #14 is one of the world's biggest pop stars ever! Originally starring on the Australian soap opera Neighbours as a teen, it was a perfect springboard for a music career, much as Rick Springfield's appearances on General Hospital revived his music career and set up a strong hit streak in the 80's. Kylie's debut album "Kylie" was a huge hit in 1988, especially its cover of the Little Eva classic "The Loco-Motion", which was a huge worldwide hit and "I Should Be So Lucky". The hits followed in Europe and Australia into the 1990's, but in the USA she remained unknown during this time. In 2000, her "Light Years" album brought her back to new levels of commercial success, and its singles have become favourites of mine over the years; her duet with Robbie Williams, "Kids", made my top 20. However, it was her next album "Fever" that became her biggest ever - "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" was a huge hit everywhere, including on my chart, where it spent three weeks at #1 and remains her best charter to this day. "In Your Eyes", "Love At First Sight" and "Come Into My World" continued the hit streak. Her next two albums, "Body Language" and "X" each had a pair of top 10's for me, as did her greatest hits collection "Ultimate Kylie", which helped expose me to a lot of her back catalogue. The hits have continued into the 2010's for me as she still regularly gets top 10's on my chart; her latest album "Golden" had three top 10's for me.

1. Can't Get You Out Of My Head
    2. Giving You Up
    3. Slow
    4. I Believe In You
    5. Love At First Sight
    6. Red Blooded Woman
    7. Dancing
    8. In Your Eyes
    9. Wow
    10. Timebomb

210. Lorde - Supercut
    209. Linkin Park - Numb
    208. Green Day - Bang Bang
    207. Daughtry - It's Not Over
    206. Marianas Trench - Pop 101
    205. Celine Dion - Ashes
    204. Orianthi - According To You
    203. Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble
    202. Maroon 5 - Goodnight Goodnight
    201. Kate Voegele - Sweet Silver Lining
    200. Katy Perry - Waking Up In Vegas
    199. Kate Voegele - Not The Only One
    198. Liz Phair - Why Can't I
    197. State Of Shock - Best I Ever Had
    196. Jason Mraz - The Remedy

Here we lose the highest entries from New Zealand's singer-songwriter Lorde, Idol-led band and Hot AC favourites Daughtry, Australian singer/guitarist Orianthi, indie darling turned reluctant pop star Liz Phair, Canadian rockers State Of Shock with a hit ballad, and singer-songwriter Jason Mraz - believe it or not, there was a time when he could get big hits on my chart and wasn't boring! We also lose the highest solo entry from Taylor Swift - though she does have a collaboration with Boys Like Girls still to come. The rest are all mega-stars on my chart, from those who already appeared in the top 100 artists such as Linkin Park, Green Day, Marianas Trench and Celine Dion to those in the top 13 such as Maroon 5, Katy Perry and two songs by Kate Voegele - while neither hit #1 (both peaked at #2 for me), their longevity was key to both ranking as high as they did.

13. CARLY RAE JEPSEN

Born November 21, 1985, Mission, BC, Canada

In the 2000's, there was a short-lived talent show in Canada - Canadian Idol. It generated many flop stars, and several others who have had varying levels of success. But the biggest breakthrough has to be Carly Rae Jepsen. Her debut album in 2008, "Tug Of War", was typical singer-songwriter fare that only hinted at her future success. A few years later, she released the hit "Call Me Maybe", which started off successful in her native Canada, but thanks to a viral push by international superstar Justin Bieber, she managed to break through internationally and soon everyone was singing along to it! Due to this, despite not reaching #1 for me, she did score a long chart run - enough for her third best charter for me. An Owl City duet - "Good Time" - followed, which, in the real world, prevented BOTH artists from being considered one hit wonders. But ultimately, it was "This Kiss" - released shortly before the album containing all these hits - that became her first #1 for me and another long-runner. It was followed by a long-running #2, "Tonight I'm Getting Over You", which was in my top 10 of 2013, and another #1, the non-album single "Take A Picture". Anticipation for her next project was high - "I Really Like You", backed by a viral video, was an instant hit, reaching #2 for me, only because of the dominance of some of my biggest core artists. "Run Away With Me", was a successful follow-up, actually falling 2-3 before hitting #1 and becoming among my top 5 of 2015. The "Emotion" album - and its companion "Side B" EP - were both successful for me, and ultimately, she would get even bigger as "Cut To The Feeling" ended up as my #1 song of 2017! More recently, she returned with "Party For One" becoming her fifth #1 - and since the survey period ended, "Now That I Found You" has become her sixth #1!

1. Cut To The Feeling
    2. Run Away With Me
    3. Call Me Maybe
    4. This Kiss
    5. Tonight I'm Getting Over You
    6. I Really Like You
    7. Your Type
    8. Take A Picture
    9. Curiosity
    10. Party For One

12. The most successful rock band on my chart.

195. 3 Doors Down - In The Dark
    194. The Calling - Wherever You Will Go
    193. Janet Jackson - All For You
    192. Faber Drive - When I'm With You
    191. Alanis Morissette - Crazy
    190. Rihanna - Unfaithful
    189. Declan Galbraith - You And Me
    188. LeAnn Rimes - Can't Fight The Moonlight
    187. Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5
    186. Staind - It's Been Awhile
    185. Sisqo - Thong Song
    184. Britney Spears - If U Seek Amy
    183. Christina Perri - A Thousand Years
    182. Kate Voegele - Free & Wild
    181. T.A.T.U. - All The Things She Said

Here we lose some heavy hitters - the legendary Janet Jackson and Alanis Morissette crash out with their #1 hits, while we also lose Rihanna's sole #1 on my chart and highest entry. We also lose country-pop siren LeAnn Rimes with her "Coyote Ugly" theme, hard rock titans Staind, CanCon band Faber Drive with their love ballad, and several artists with just one major hit and a minor follow-up each (The Calling, Lou Bega, T.A.T.U., Sisqo) and another that charted on word of mouth - British then-teen singer of cover songs, Declan Galbraith, with an original tune "You And Me". Christina Perri also appears with her "Twilight" theme - her only #1 but her second highest here. The other three are by iconic and legendary artists on my chart - 3 Doors Down, Britney Spears and Kate Voegele - all of which were strong #1's.

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Wed April 10th, 2019, 08:34

12. 3 DOORS DOWN

Escatawpa, MS, USA (1996-present)

At #12 is my chart's most successful rock band ever - 3 Doors Down! The original members met in high school, where they, when bored in class, wrote the lyrics to their first big hit, and when it came time to record, their line-up - now up to five members, had the album "The Better Life" - and that song they wrote in class, "Kryptonite", turned out to be their big breakthrough. It was a huge #1 worldwide hit, including on my chart - where it remains their best chart performer to this day. The success would continue on their follow-up album "Away From The Sun", which reinforced how much I like their music, and songs like "When I'm Gone" and "Here Without You" - both #1 hits, were both in my top 10 of the entire year 2003. Their next album, "Seventeen Days", also gave a huge hit single, "Let Me Go". In 2008, they released their next album, a self-titled effort with two more #1 hits, including my #2 song of 2008, "It's Not My Time". The success has continued into the 2010's, when songs like "In The Dark" have topped my chart. While only two members from the original line-up remain, Brad Arnold and Chris Henderson have kept the 3 Doors Down sound intact through all this time and the current line-up is still sounding as strong as they ever were. Also notable: They have never had any weak #1's - all of their #1 hits were in my year-end top 10 for their respective years, and all rank among my top 200 best chart performers ever!

1. Kryptonite
    2. When I'm Gone
    3. Let Me Go
    4. When You're Young
    5. Here Without You
    6. It's Not My Time
    7. Let Me Be Myself
    8. In The Dark
    9. Away From The Sun
    10. Be Like That

11. A female singer-songwriter who took 14 years between studio albums.

180. Tegan & Sara - Boyfriend
    179. 3 Doors Down - Let Me Be Myself
    178. Kate Voegele - Manhattan From The Sky
    177. Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway
    176. One Direction - You And I
    175. TLC - Unpretty
    174. Kelly Clarkson - Catch My Breath
    173. Kelly Clarkson - Mr. Know It All
    172. One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful
    171. Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much
    170. Meghan Trainor - No
    169. Carly Rae Jepsen - This Kiss
    168. Maroon 5 - Love Somebody
    167. Robbie Williams - Millennium
    166. Nickelback - Someday

So here we lose the highest entries for Canadian sisters Tegan & Sara, another Canadian, a country legend, Shania Twain, pop star Meghan Trainor with her ode to the sound of 2000, and British pop legend Robbie Williams with an ode to the then-forthcoming new millennium. Also in this set are the two highest entries for One Direction - both songs held up well for me. We also have a late 90's hit with a positive message from TLC, and Nickelback proving that the success of their previous album was no fluke as "Someday" then tied the record for highest debut ever at #4. We also have artists such as 3 Doors Down, Carly Rae Jepsen and Maroon 5, all of whom have had multiple successes - as well as Kate Voegele with her "A Fine Mess" lead-off "Manhattan From The Sky" and 3 more Kelly Clarkson #1's from throughout her career!

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Fri April 12th, 2019, 06:36

11. MICHELLE BRANCH

Born: July 2, 1983, Sedona, AZ, USA

What all can be said about Michelle Branch? In 2001, she broke through with her debut album "The Spirit Room". The lead single "Everywhere" was modestly successful for me, reaching my top 10, but it wasn't until its follow-up "All You Wanted" when she really broke through for me, reaching #1 for four weeks; I ended up getting her album because of that song. "Goodbye To You" continued the hit streak becoming yet another #1; had I done the policy of charting album tracks from my favourites, several other songs from the album would've been huge for me. A Santana collaboration "The Game Of Love" followed, but her next album "Hotel Paper" was one that I enjoyed even more. Its lead single "Are You Happy Now", which I had first heard in a live version leaked a few months earlier, was an instant favourite for me, spending seven weeks at #1 and remains her best charting single for me. I enjoyed her second album more than her first, and the success of "Breathe", a five-week #1, showed it. Following this, she did another Santana collaboration, which I liked better than the first, and an album with her country-pop duo The Wreckers. They only lasted one album, after which she resumed her solo career. However, due to label disputes, all she got out the next few years were a few random one-off singles and an EP with tracks from one of several shelved albums she had recorded, "Everything Comes And Goes"; "Sooner Or Later" from these sessions became a huge #1 for me, and another single from what would have been her follow-up album, "Loud Music" was among my top 5 songs of 2011. It wasn't until 2017 - 14 years after her last solo album - when she released her next album, "Hopeless Romantic". Ultimately, it failed to achieve the longevity of her past efforts, though its single "Best You Ever" did manage a couple weeks at #1.

1. Are You Happy Now
    2. I'm Feeling You (with Santana)
    3. Breathe
    4. Sooner Or Later
    5. All You Wanted
    6. Goodbye To You
    7. Loud Music
    8. Together
    9. Best You Ever
    10. Getaway (with Timbaland)

165. Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl
    164. Demi Lovato - Give Your Heart A Break
    163. Vertical Horizon - The Middle Ground
    162. Demi Lovato - Heart Attack
    161. Santana feat. Chad Kroeger - Why Don't You & I
    160. Christina Perri - Human
    159. U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    158. Kate Voegele - Angel
    157. Hall & Oates & Train - Philly Forget Me Not
    156. Kate Voegele - Who You Are Without Me
    155. Jordin Sparks - Battlefield
    154. Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry
    153. Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
    152. Backstreet Boys - Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely
    151. Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland - Dilemma

Here we have the highest entries from the likes of Christina Perri, U2, Hall & Oates and Train, Jordin Sparks and Nelly. We also have the highest solo entry for Fergie. Vertical Horizon's first #1 of the 2010's, "The Middle Ground", also appears, as well as a Backstreet Boys #1 that was charting as the year 2000 started. Katy Perry's debut and Carly Rae Jepsen's breakthrough both give these pop stars high appearances, but neither is done yet here. One of many Santana collaborations appears as well, this one a #1 with Chad Kroeger. We have two artists appearing twice here - Demi Lovato with two of her biggest #1's (but how high is her 7-week #1 "Sober"?), and two Kate Voegele #1's both from her landmark album "A Fine Mess", that both still stand as among my favourites from that album.

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

by » Sat April 13th, 2019, 21:24

A lot of miracles need to happen, then!

Great thread.

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Sun April 14th, 2019, 05:47

10. DEMI LOVATO

Born August 20, 1992, Albuquerque, NM, USA

Kicking off my chart's top 10 best charting artists is Demi Lovato! In 2008, she broke through with her role in Disney's "Camp Rock"; its big single, "This Is Me", a collaboration with co-star Joe Jonas, was a breakthrough on my chart too, reaching my top 20. While her first album "Don't Forget" failed to generate any charting singles for me, I've rediscovered some of it since; her second album "Here We Go Again" did give her some moderate chart success for me, especially with its title track. But the "Unbroken" album was her true breakthrough into core artist territory for me as its lead single, a tale of her personal struggles with addiction, "Skyscraper", really blew me away with its relateable message and became her first #1 on my chart. She followed it up with another #1, "Give Your Heart A Break", which is in my preferred pop-rock style from her. She did more in this style on her next album "Demi", which is my favourite album from her so far; its lead single "Heart Attack" was an instant hit for me, reaching #1 in just its second week. Later singles from this album, "Neon Lights" and "Really Don't Care" were also #1's for me, as was her "Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones" soundtrack hit "Heart By Heart", which was written by Diane Warren. Even her collaborations with artists such as The Vamps and Olly Murs made my top 10 around this time. Anticipation for her next album "Confident" was high, and its lead single "Cool For The Summer" was a big hit for me, as was said album's title track. Again, she contributed a song to a big soundtrack around this time - "Angry Birds" had her remake of the Gloria Gaynor classic "I Will Survive". And while her next album's lead single "Sorry Not Sorry" was a huge disappointment for me and failed to chart entirely, she recovered quickly, as the album's title track, "Tell Me You Love Me", was a long-running top 5 hit for me and the infectulous "Sexy Dirty Love" was also a #1 for me. Alas, it was another personal setback - her relapse - that delivered her strongest moment for me - her tale of struggling with her inner demons inspired her to release "Sober", and its emotions resonated instantly with me, taking her to #1 for seven weeks and becoming my #1 song of 2018. After suffering an overdose that hospitalized her and a stint in rehab, I wish Demi the best of luck as she continues to inspire, and hopefully whenever she is ready, she can deliver more good music!

1. Sober
    2. Heart Attack
    3. Give Your Heart A Break
    4. Tell Me You Love Me
    5. Really Don't Care
    6. Neon Lights
    7. Heart By Heart
    8. Sexy Dirty Love
    9. Skyscraper
    10. Cool For The Summer
    11. Confident
    12. Somebody To You (with The Vamps)
    13. Up (with Olly Murs)
    14. I Will Survive
    15. This Is Me (with Joe Jonas)
    16. Made In The USA
    17. Body Say
    18. Solo (with Clean Bandit)
    19. For You
    20. No Promises (with Cheat Codes)

150. Jessica Simpson - A Public Affair
    149. Alicia Keys - No One
    148. Britney Spears - (You Drive Me) Crazy
    147. Stef Lang - Slave2Love
    146. Midnight Red - Hell Yeah
    145. Celine Dion - That's The Way It Is
    144. Destiny's Child - Independent Women
    143. Christina Aguilera, Mya, Pink, Lil' Kim - Lady Marmalade
    142. JoJo - Too Little, Too Late
    141. Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg - California Gurls
    140. Rob Thomas - Mockingbird
    139. Avril Lavigne - I'm With You
    138. No Doubt - Settle Down
    137. Jennifer Lopez - If You Had My Love
    136. Tamar Kaprelian - New Day

Here we have the highest entries from Jessica Simpson (the first song ever to debut at #1 on my chart), Midnight Red, Celine Dion with the lead single from her greatest hits album "All The Way", Destiny's Child with their Charlie's Angels song, JoJo, then aged 15, No Doubt (though lead singer Gwen Stefani still has another song to come), and one-hit wonder Tamar Kaprelian with the only song I've ever heard from her - who has since taken to represent her ancestral homeland, Armenia, at Eurovision. We also have entries from Alicia Keys and Stef Lang - each has another big hit to come. The "Moulin Rouge" quartet appears here too with their cover of LaBelle's "Lady Marmalade" - Mya and Lil' Kim have crashed out here, but Christina Aguilera and Pink still have more to come. The rest are among my chart's biggest artists ever - Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Rob Thomas, Avril Lavigne and Jennifer Lopez - all with massive #1 hits.

9. AVRIL LAVIGNE

Born: September 27, 1984, Belleville, ON, Canada

Back in 2002, a new wave of female singer-songwriters was breaking out, as a contrast to many of the manufactured pop stars of their era. With a rebellious image, Avril Lavigne quickly became one of the biggest artists of her time, and her debut single "Complicated" made a quick splash for me, spending 7 weeks at #1 for me. Her attitude showed well in "Sk8er Boi", also a big hit, then she proved she could do a ballad just as well with "I'm With You", which got #1 for me. Where did she go from there? She went more personal on "Under My Skin", showing a more mature sound and remaining one of my favourite albums ever. Its first three singles all reached #1 for me, and rank in my top 5 favourites from her. Following an "Eragon" movie hit in "Keep Holding On", she returned with "The Best Damn Thing", which did show a more playful sound, especially in lead single "Girlfriend"; despite quickly reaching #1 for me, it failed to garner any longevity. The ballads were still present, however, and "When You're Gone" was an instant favourite for me; it stands to date as her biggest hit on my chart, and was my #1 of 2007. The cracks planted here continued to grow, and her next album "Goodbye Lullaby" lacked consistency for me; its lead single "What The Hell" due to anticipation did debut at #1 on my chart, but she fell flat after that; "Smile" was a huge bomb, barely charting, and "Wish You Were Here", which has become a meme for silly lyrics such as "Damn, damn, damn" and "There's a girl who gives a shit", was only a mid-charter. She continued to go downhill on her follow-up self-titled album, which was her first that I did not buy. The lead single, "Here's To Never Growing Up", got old fast due to invoking the trope that was ruining her for me; the only song on said album that caught on for me was the Chad Kroeger duet ballad, "Let Me Go". I thought due to said album containing the absolutely revolting song "Hello Kitty", which remains one of my most hated songs of all time, that she was done, but she did prove her inconsistency. She hit #1 for me twice since, on a duet with Nick Carter "Get Over Me", and then on the inspiring ballad "Head Above Water", inspired by her own struggles. And while "Tell Me It's Over" also made my top 10, "Dumb Blonde", which features Nicki Minaj, has failed to chart entirely and shows that she can't keep a good hit streak anymore. Still, she does still get the occasional token good song that would hit for me.

1. When You're Gone
    2. Complicated
    3. Don't Tell Me
    4. Nobody's Home
    5. My Happy Ending
    6. I'm With You
    7. Keep Holding On
    8. Sk8er Boi
    9. What The Hell
    10. Get Over Me (with Nick Carter)
    11. Girlfriend
    12. Head Above Water
    13. Fall To Pieces
    14. Losing Grip
    15. Let Me Go (with Chad Kroeger)
    16. Alice
    17. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    18. My World
    19. The Best Damn Thing
    20. Innocence

135. Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
    134. Alicia Keys - Fallin'
    133. Boys Like Girls feat. Taylor Swift - Two Is Better Than One
    132. Hinder - Without You
    131. Cher - Believe
    130. Pink - Get The Party Started
    129. Cascada - Evacuate The Dancefloor
    128. Alyssa Reid - Satisfaction Guaranteed
    127. Alyssa Reid feat. The Heist - Dangerous
    126. Michelle Branch - Goodbye To You
    125. Colbie Caillat & Gavin DeGraw - We Both Know
    124. Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending
    123. John Mayer - No Such Thing
    122. The Killers - Mr. Brightside
    121. Kelly Clarkson - Heartbeat Song

Here we lose more heavy hitting acts, many of whom ranked in my top 100 acts of the chart period: Alicia Keys' breakthrough single, Boys Like Girls and Taylor Swift with a power ballad that is the highest from both artists, Cher with her huge comeback single, Cascada's dance floor anthem that I wouldn't evacuate, Gavin DeGraw (his duet partner on this "Safe Haven" soundtrack hit, Colbie Caillat, does have more to come), singer-songwriter-professional stud John Mayer, and indie heroes The Killers with their college anthem "Mr. Brightside"! We also have Hinder's second highest entry (still to come is their prototype power ballad) and a pair from Canadian starlet Alyssa Reid. Pink's party starter anthem also appears, which remains among my favourites from her. The rest are by core artists at their peaks: Katy Perry, Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne and Kelly Clarkson!

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Sun April 14th, 2019, 06:07

8. PINK

Born September 8, 1979, Doylestown, PA, USA

At #8 is one of the most colourful personalities in the list... Pink! Originally signed as an R&B star, her debut album "Can't Take Me Home" was a good start for her, giving her three hit singles on my chart, including the #1 "You Make Me Sick". The summer of 2001, she teamed up with her three fellow divas on the song of the summer from the "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack, the "Lady Marmalade" cover. Her "M!ssundaztood" album saw her take a new direction, which changed her sound and kept her star rising; it is responsible for her two biggest hits for me, "Get The Party Started" and "Don't Let Me Get Me"; both spent 4 weeks at #1 on my chart. Her next album "Try This", while it still had a few top 10 hits, was less successful, but the album after that really made a statement - she called it "I'm Not Dead", which eventually was true. While lead single "Stupid Girl" underperformed, missing my top 10, the next two singles - "Who Knew" and "U + Ur Hand" - were both #1's for me and remain two of my favourites from her. This set a pattern that her next two studio albums would also follow - an underwhelming lead single followed by two big hits - then the rest of the album would struggle. "So What", the lead single from "Funhouse", was still able to quickly go top 10 and do decently, but was overshadowed for me by "Sober" and "Please Don't Leave Me", both of which were long-running top 10's for me. "The Truth About Love" followed in the same pattern; I got tired of "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" fast, but "Try" and Nate Ruess collaboration "Just Give Me A Reason" lasted better for me, with the latter ranking in my top 10 songs from her. And while she finally returned to #1 with "What About Us", it had absolutely no longevity, disappearing after 10 weeks and becoming my weakest #1 ever. Her next album "Hurts 2B Human" is set for release later this year; its lead single "Walk Me Home" just became her 20th top 10 on my chart.

1. Don't Let Me Get Me
    2. Get The Party Started
    3. Lady Marmalade (with Christina Aguilera, Mya & Lil' Kim)
    4. Who Knew
    5. There You Go
    6. Sober
    7. Just Like A Pill
    8. You Make Me Sick
    9. U + Ur Hand
    10. Just Give Me A Reason (with Nate Ruess)
    11. Family Portrait
    12. Most Girls
    13. Please Don't Leave Me
    14. God Is A DJ
    15. So What
    16. Try
    17. It's All Your Fault
    18. What About Us
    19. Trouble
    20. Feel Good Time

120. Kelly Clarkson - I Don't Think About You
    119. Linkin Park - Shadow Of The Day
    118. Black Eyed Peas feat. Justin Timberlake - Where Is The Love
    117. Savage Garden - I Knew I Loved You
    116. 3 Doors Down - It's Not My Time
    115. Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You
    114. Santana feat. Product G&B - Maria Maria
    113. Nine Days - Absolutely (Story Of A Girl)
    112. Pink - Don't Let Me Get Me
    111. The Offspring - Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)
    110. 'N Sync - Bye Bye Bye
    109. Eiffel 65 - Blue
    108. Creed - With Arms Wide Open
    107. The Wreckers - My, Oh My
    106. Kelly Clarkson - Already Gone

The heavy hitters continue to fall! We lose the highest entries from Australian duo Savage Garden, Long Island rockers Nine Days, Orange County punk-rockers The Offspring, and Italian dance trio Eiffel 65. We also lose the two highest new entries for Justin Timberlake - one with his own group 'N Sync "Bye Bye Bye", and one as a guest on the Black Eyed Peas' "Where Is The Love" - which itself is THEIR highest appearance. And as "Don't Let Me Get Me" was just revealed as Pink's biggest hit on my chart, she crashes out too! And while "Shadow Of The Day" was Linkin Park's only #1 and "With Arms Wide Open" a strong top 5 for Creed - both were beaten by lower-peaking, but longer-running, hits by the same groups! Santana still has one more after their collaboration with Wyclef Jean proteges The Product G&B, while Michelle Branch's country duo The Wreckers have another to come as well. In among these is one of my favourite 3 Doors Down songs - "It's Not My Time" - and of course, they have plenty more to come as when they hit #1 for me, they hit strong! Finally, the list is bookended by Kelly Clarkson ballads - "I Don't Think About You" and "Already Gone" - while the latter is the highest from her "All I Ever Wanted" album, outranking its lead single "My Life Would Suck Without You", ranking in between at #115!

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Wed April 17th, 2019, 08:48

7. TAYLOR SWIFT

Born December 13, 1989, Reading, PA, USA

With 25 top 10's so far in her career, Taylor Swift is one of the undisputed superstars on my chart. Starting off as a country singer, songs like "Teardrops On My Guitar" and "Our Song" showed crossover appeal. Her next album "Fearless" enhanced this, with "Love Story" and "You Belong With Me" being among her 10 biggest hits on my chart. In among this time, she collaborated with Boys Like Girls on what would be her first #1, "Two Is Better Than One", which stands as her biggest hit for me. Her next album "Speak Now" generated a streak of hits, including two of her best chart performers, "Mine" and "Back To December". By the time album #4, "Red", was released, she was a bonafide pop megastar, and its singles definitely reflected this, especially as Max Martin wrote them; "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" and "I Knew You Were Trouble" started off as a strong one-two punch of #1's. Little did we know that her next era - "1989" - would become her biggest yet. Its first two singles - "Shake It Off" and "Blank Space" would become among her top 5 biggest hits for me with the latter reaching #1. Overall, a total of eleven songs - among the most ever - would chart from that album, with seven going top 10. After this, she released her most daring album ever - "Reputation", which was also a success for me, containing five more top 10's. It's safe to say that her superstar status will carry her for many more years to come and I am looking forward to hearing how her career will go from here!

1. Two Is Better Than One (with Boys Like Girls)
    2. I Knew You Were Trouble
    3. Blank Space
    4. Shake It Off
    5. You Belong With Me
    6. Mine
    7. Back To December
    8. Out Of The Woods
    9. Love Story
    10. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
    11. Style
    12. Look What You Made Me Do
    13. The Story Of Us
    14. 22
    15. Half Of My Heart (with John Mayer)
    16. All You Had To Do Was Stay
    17. Delicate
    18. ...Ready For It?
    19. Today Was A Fairytale
    20. Gorgeous

105. Avril Lavigne - Nobody's Home
    104. Aerosmith - What Could Have Been Love
    103. TLC - No Scrubs
    102. Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends
    101. Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way
    100. Lauren Winans - Wicked Game
    99. Maroon 5 - Won't Go Home Without You
    98. Creed - Higher
    97. Katy Perry - Hot N Cold
    96. Seether feat. Amy Lee - Broken
    95. Blue Rodeo - New Morning Sun
    94. Maroon 5 - Wake Up Call
    93. Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca
    92. Shaggy - Angel
    91. Gwen Stefani - 4 In The Morning

We're into the top 100 now, and here we see many artists crash with their highest entries; from South African hard rockers Seether (teaming up with Evanescence's Amy Lee), reggae legend Shaggy, Florida rockers Creed, the legendary female trio TLC, Latin heartthrob Ricky Martin, Canadian legends Blue Rodeo with a later career song, legendary Boston rockers Aerosmith with a power ballad in a style they do so well and continued to 40 years into their career, No Doubt lead singer Gwen Stefani with her long-running midtempo hit from 2007, the Backstreet Boys - one of the greatest boy bands of all with possibly their signature song - and possibly the most successful artist to crash out in this set - Katy Perry with her second big hit "Hot N Cold"! Other artists featured here are Green Day with one of many big hits from "American Idiot", which appropriately peaked as September 2005 was ending, Lauren Winans with her second of three big hits, Avril Lavigne with one of many huge hits from "Under My Skin", and a pair of Maroon 5 songs from my favourite album of theirs, "It Won't Be Soon Before Long".

6. CHRISTINA AGUILERA

Born December 18, 1980, Staten Island, NY, USA

In the early years of my chart, Christina Aguilera was one of the most formidable chart forces there was. After a turn on the Mickey Mouse Club, and appearing on the Mulan soundtrack, her debut album showed this girl had an amazing voice and the right songs to show it off. The sultry debut single "Genie In A Bottle" instantly made her into a huge star, reaching #1 on my chart for four weeks. The other singles from the album would also all make my top 10. While she had a long wait until her return, she passed the time doing a couple big collaborations, including "Nobody Wants To Be Lonely" with Ricky Martin and "Lady Marmalade" with the rest of her Moulin Rouge crew. The second album - "Stripped" turned out to be worth the wait, as it explored many more personal themes, and four of its singles - while none of them ended up in my top 5 from her - all reached #1 on my chart. She further showed her diversity with her "Back To Basics" album, inspired by early 20th century jazz music. Again, she could not miss as three of its hits reached #1 for me, most notably the very personal ballad "Hurt", which spent a then-record eight weeks at #1 on my chart - easily becoming her biggest hit ever for me. By 2008, it had come time to release a greatest hits album, and its lead single - "Keeps Gettin' Better" - lived up to its title, quickly reaching #1 and becoming one of my favourites from her. Things would end up going downhill, as her next album "Bionic" - despite the lead single "Not Myself Tonight" going top 5 - turned out to be one of my most hated albums ever, with many of its songs being extremely hated by me, especially the song "Woohoo", which is one of my most hated songs of all time. To date, she has not recovered fully from this disgust, despite appearing on Maroon 5's #1 hit "Moves Like Jagger" and A Great Big World's #2 hit "Say Something". Her next album "Lotus", while it didn't fare that well in chart stats, was an improvement over her lacklustre previous album, and its lead single "Your Body" made my top 5 and stuck around a fair while. Six years passed... and she delivered yet another disappointment. The "Liberation" album completely passed without hype or longevity, and failed to net a top 20 hit for me - despite an appearance from Demi Lovato, hot on the heels on a hit streak of her own, on its single "Fall In Line". Much like with "Bionic", there was one song that I truly felt was awful, and that was "Accelerate", which is another of my most hated songs of all time. I do hope she can recover and deliver more great music in the future, but I feel her best days are likely behind her and will continue to enjoy her first three albums for what they are - modern-day pop classics.

1. Hurt
    2. Genie In A Bottle
    3. Lady Marmalade (with Mya, Pink, Lil' Kim)
    4. Moves Like Jagger (with Maroon 5)
    5. Keeps Gettin' Better
    6. Fighter
    7. Beautiful
    8. Ain't No Other Man
    9. Say Something (with A Great Big World)
    10. What A Girl Wants
    11. The Voice Within
    12. Candyman
    13. Dirrty
    14. I Turn To You
    15. Come On Over
    16. Your Body
    17. Nobody Wants To Be Lonely (with Ricky Martin)
    18. Tilt Ya Head Back (with Nelly)
    19. We Remain
    20. Not Myself Tonight

90. Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
    89. Rob Thomas - Ever The Same
    88. Natasha Bedingfield - These Words
    87. Britney Spears - Oops... I Did It Again
    86. Britt Nicole - Gold
    85. Linkin Park - In The End
    84. Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away With Me
    83. Macy Gray - I Try
    82. Len - Steal My Sunshine
    81. Kelly Clarkson - People Like Us
    80. Sugar Ray - Every Morning
    79. Colbie Caillat - I Never Told You
    78. Maroon 5 - Misery
    77. Evanescence - My Immortal
    76. Selena Gomez - Come And Get It

Here we have the highest entries from Vertical Horizon, Christian pop singer Britt Nicole, rock heroes Linkin Park, the uniquely-voiced Macy Gray, Canadian group Len with their 1999 summertime hit, California pop-rock band Sugar Ray and former Disney star Selena Gomez with her only #1 on my chart, and my #1 song of 2013 (clearly she won't be going anywhere near there again!) We also have entries from chart superstars such as Rob Thomas, Natasha Bedingfield, Britney Spears, Carly Rae Jepsen, Kelly Clarkson, Colbie Caillat, Maroon 5 and Evanescence, many of whom are approaching their highest entries very soon!

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Fri April 19th, 2019, 08:04

75. Neon Trees - Sleeping With A Friend

The highest entry for these indie pop guys from Utah; its infectuous rhythms propelled it to a five week run at #1 back in 2014.

74. Corinne Bailey Rae - Put Your Records On

In 2006, this British neo-soul singer had a brief run with success; while there were some minor follow-ups, this was her only major hit for me, spending a couple of weeks at #1.

73. Jimmy Eat World - The Middle

I've liked several songs by this Arizona alternative rock band, but it was this, their mainstream breakthrough, that has always stuck for me; it was a #1 back in 2002.

72. Rob Thomas - This Is How A Heart Breaks

Don't be fooled into thinking this is a ballad, this rocker is possibly the most upbeat the Matchbox Twenty lead singer has ever sounded! A 6-week #1 in 2005, this song proved his lasting appeal for me and is my favourite from him overall.

71. 3 Doors Down - Here Without You

These guys can do great power ballads, and this is possibly the greatest of them all, being a four-week #1 on my chart back in 2003. As all of their #1's have been very strong, they are nowhere near being done yet!

70. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone

This powerful breakup anthem helped cement Kelly Clarkson as one of my chart's core artists, spending four weeks at #1 in early 2005 and becoming her second of five #1's to appear on her "Breakaway" album.

69. Kelly Clarkson - Sober

From one of Kelly's biggest hits to one of her most underrated, this emotional ballad from her "My December" album was a quick hit for me, spending 3 weeks at #1 in 2007.

68. Michelle Branch - All You Wanted

This was the song that made Michelle into a core artist, as my love for it got me to get her "The Spirit Room" album, which impressed me overall. It spent four weeks at #1 in 2002.

[img][/img]
    67. Ryan Cabrera - Ohttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/59/RC-OnTheWayDown.jpg/180px-RC-OnTheWayDown.jpgn The Way Down

Another singer-songwriter here, it's Dallas's Ryan Cabrera. From his "Take It All Away" album, it spent a single week at #1 in the summer of 2004, among many other big hits at the time.

66. Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me

Speaking of 2004, one of my top artists that year had to be Avril Lavigne. Her "Under My Skin" album proved she was no sophomore slump, as this was the first of three #1's from that album.

65. Britney Spears - Sometimes

"Baby One More Time" was arguably the biggest mega-hit of my chart era, and Britney definitely showed it was no fluke as this follow-up was a three-week #1 in the summer of 1999. She'd have many more #1's since.

64. Alyssa Reid - If You Are

The first song I heard from the then-teen Canadian star Alyssa Reid was this one; it was a surprise hit for me in late 2010, spending five weeks at #1 and launching a strong hit streak that would last for the better part of the decade.

63. Hinder - Lips Of An Angel

The fifth highest song that didn't reach #1, this song was a four-week #2 in the fall of 2006, a power ballad about infidelity that managed to stick with me, experiencing four months in my top 10 and a long run overall.

62. Kelly Clarkson - Behind These Hazel Eyes

Kelly has been one of my biggest core artists ever, currently sitting at 26 #1's to date. This song spent a pair of weeks at #1 in the spring of 2005, but its overall longevity - 40 weeks in the top 100 - helped its placing here.

61. 3 Doors Down - When You're Young

Often compared to their previous hit "When I'm Gone" which is still to come, this lead single from their 2011 album "Time Of My Life" was yet another winner from the Mississippi rockers, becoming my #2 song of the year.

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Tue April 23rd, 2019, 06:27

60. Kelly Clarkson - Walk Away

With this song, Kelly became the first artist ever to have five #1's from an album - a feat she also matched with her "Piece By Piece" album. Still more from her to come!

59. Demi Lovato - Sober

The highest entry from Demi Lovato was this highly personal song that really struck a chord for me with her vulnerability and was my #1 song of 2018. I truly hope she's been doing better now.

58. Safetysuit - These Times

An anthem of resilience despite struggles in their lives, its message of optimism and tailor-made for Hot AC sound got it straight to #1 for a couple weeks in 2012.

57. Kate Voegele - You Can't Break A Broken Heart

While Kate Voegele is best known for writing her own songs, this one was written by Diane Warren - and Kate's voice fits perfectly with the sound. This spent 6 weeks at #1 for me.

56. Soul Decision - Faded

A CanCon hit from 2000, it would have a long chart run through that year when it peaked at #2. Still three more #2's to come - and all charted the same year!

55. Kate Voegele - World Stops Spinning

My personal favourite from her "Canyonlands" album, this song channels her classic upbeat sound the best. It was my #2 song of 2017.

54. Ryan Cabrera - True

An acoustic ballad from a singer-songwriter who was huge for me in the mid-2000's. Highest entry for the Cabreradude.

53. Colbie Caillat - Hold On

While she was no stranger to my chart, with five #1's total, this one was her highest. It spent 3 weeks at #1 in early 2014.

52. Mariah Carey - We Belong Together

One of the most unexpected comebacks ever, Mariah Carey, after several uninspired songs, reached the heights of her classic era here with one of the strongest ballads of her career. Highest entry from her.

51. Britney Spears - Everytime

Another ballad showcasing vulnerable emotions, this piano-based song was an instant favourite of me and one of the reasons why "In The Zone" was so anticipated for me. Still a couple more Britney to come.

50. Britney Spears - Toxic

One of Britney's signature tunes here, and one that revitalized her sound and revived her career for many more years. Still one of my favourites from her, spent 7 weeks at #1 in 2004. One more to come from her!

49. Smash Mouth - All Star

One of those "movie cliches" of the late 90's was that Smash Mouth songs often ended up on soundtracks. This one, from "Mystery Men", was an anthem of encouragement that spent 3 weeks at #1 in 1999.

48. Nelly Furtado - I'm Like A Bird

Despite not reaching #1, this Canadian diva got off to a very strong start here, peaking at #2 in a long chart run. Still one more from her - and that didn't hit #1 either!

47. Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten

My favourite single from her debut album; also its title track. Another anthem of hope and optimism here about control of your own destiny, this was a 3-week #1 in late 2005 for me.

46. Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

The "American Idiot" album revived their career for a new generation, and this was one of the highlights of the rock opera concept album. It spent 3 weeks at #1 in early 2005.

45. Lifehouse - Hanging By A Moment

Another song that didn't hit #1, the second highest to do so, also from 2001. This irresistible alternative pop-rock smash launched their career in a big way, reaching #2 in 2001 and having a run over six months in the top 40.

44. Michelle Branch - Sooner Or Later

From her EP "Everything Comes And Goes", this minor country and Hot AC hit was the only song I charted from it. This proved that, in 2009, she could still do great songs like her peak years, as this song about a past relationship was a #1 for 4 weeks on my chart. Still a few more to come...

43. Michelle Branch - Breathe

...and here is one of them! One of the poppiest songs from her "Hotel Paper" album, this was an instant favourite of mine and spent 5 weeks at #1 in late 2003.

42. Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars

Another song used a lot in media, this was used all over TV in 2006. One of the great indie pop/rock anthems of the 2000's, it spent 3 weeks at #1 on my chart amid a long top 10 run. Highest entry from them.

41. Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love

And just missing the top 40 is one of the X Factor's biggest success stories. This song showed off Leona's voice very well, and while it only got 1 week at #1, had enough longevity to get this high overall.

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Thu April 25th, 2019, 06:24

40. Nelly Furtado - Turn Off The Light

The higheset entry from Nelly Furtado was a long-runner spending over eight months in my top 40, all that despite not reaching #1 on my weekly chart! That longevity helped her get my #1 of 2001.

39. Kate Voegele - Ooh La La

Kate Voegele has three songs in a row - this high up sure shows her power on my chart! This was one of three #1's from her "Wild Card" EP, and the lowest of the three - just shows how much I loved the songs from it!

38. Kate Voegele - Shoot This Arrow

Inspired by the "me-too" movement that she experienced on the set of "One Tree Hill", this song had a darker, more trap-influenced feel than most of Kate's stuff. The change in style worked for this song, as it was an instant hit for me, spending 7 weeks at #1 in 2017-18.

37. Kate Voegele - Carousel

And here's the second highest "Wild Card EP" track! This catchy, upbeat song delivered exactly what I love to hear from Kate, and was a modest hit on other personal charts too. Still seven more Kate songs to come after this, giving her a total of 10 of the top 40!

36. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut To The Feeling

And here is the highest from Canada's Carly Rae Jepsen! It's amazing how many quality songs she recorded during the "Emotion" sessions, and this one, which ended up on an animated movie soundtrack, became my favourite of all from her, and my #1 song of 2017!

35. Daniel Bedingfield - If You're Not The One

Normally a dance artist, Daniel Bedingfield had several ballads too, and this one especially I found very chilling! It spent a total of 5 weeks at #1 on my chart, and is by far my favourite from him.

34. The Wreckers - Leave The Pieces

Such was the power of Michelle Branch at her peak that even a country duo that she was part of - The Wreckers - had huge success for me! I really enjoyed their "Stand Still, Look Pretty" album, and this lead single from it spent 7 weeks at #1 and was my #1 of 2006.

33. Kelly Clarkson - What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)

Kelly Clarkson is another absolutely massive core artist for me; this is only her fourth highest entry! This song, which returned her to #1 on the pop charts, was an optimistic anthem that everything will be alright after a breakup and that what doesn't kill her makes her stronger! Definitely a career highlight from her.

32. Hoobastank - The Reason

Many 2000's rock bands are best known for their big ballad and Hoobastank is no exception! This catchy and relateable song became a big favourite of mine in 2004, spending four non-consecutive weeks at #1 and trading places with Britney Spears' "Everytime" during this time. Ultimately, I still love this song and it holds up very well for me.

31. 3 Doors Down - Let Me Go

Another band who has had many hits for me - indeed, none of their #1's were weak - is 3 Doors Down! This lead single from "Seventeen Days" proved their staying power for me, and such is its power that it is only their third highest entry this high up! How high are the other two?

30. Kate Voegele - Heart In Chains

To lead off her third album "Gravity Happens", Kate Voegele enlisted the help of Canadian songwriters and power couple Raine Maida and Chantal Kreviazuk. The result is this, an uptempo lead-off single that has all the hallmarks of a classic Kate Voegele song, and was my #1 song of 2011. Still six more from her to come.

29. Evanescence - Bring Me To Life

One of 2003's big rock hits was this one from the "Daredevil" soundtrack; Amy Lee's soaring vocals with a hard rock backing really made Evanescence stand out at the time. The album "Fallen" became my favourite that year, and this lead single was a 3-week #1 for me.

28. Jennifer Lopez - Ain't It Funny

Here's the highest entry from Jennifer Lopez! From her "J-Lo" album, its Latin rhythms really captivated me and became a favourite of mine, spending two weeks at #1 in 2002.

27. Avril Lavigne - Complicated

A Canadian teenager really burst onto the scene with this song back in 2002, one that became a huge favourite of mine and made her a core artist for a few years afterwards. This spent 7 weeks at #1 on my chart, and while it was her longest stay at #1, she does have one more song to come that beats it in overall points!

26. Santana feat. Michelle Branch - I'm Feeling You

The second collaboration between Santana and Michelle Branch, I ended up liking this one much more than the first, especially as Michelle's core status had increased since then. This was buoyed by a very long chart run, and spent 3 weeks at #1; it is Santana's highest but Michelle still has one more - the obvious one.

25. Kate Voegele - 99 Times

If there is any album that cemented a core artist status, it has to be Kate Voegele's sophomore album "A Fine Mess". She struck while the iron was still hot from "Don't Look Away", and this upbeat breakup anthem, showing her attitude, really caught on for me, proving that she was here to stay. This spent 4 weeks at #1 and was my #1 song of 2009; still another five from her to come.

24. Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle

In the late 90's, a new wave of teen pop stars abounded, including several who originally appeared on the Mickey Mouse Club. Christina Aguilera was one of these, and this sultry breakthrough single was a huge favourite of mine then, and it spent 4 non-consecutive weeks at #1. Still another song from her to come.

23. Kelly Clarkson - Invincible

Kelly has always been about female empowerment, and songs like this, written by Sia, have shown why Kelly's voice is just perfect for songs like this! This was my #1 song of 2015; she still has two more songs to come.

22. Our Lady Peace - Somewhere Out There

We saw Raine Maida earlier in this set writing for Kate Voegele, now here he is with his own band Our Lady Peace! I'd enjoyed several of their songs prior to this, particularly from the "Clumsy" album, but this, which hit far beyond their native Canada and was a moderate US hit as well, became my favourite from them overall, spending four weeks at #1 for me in 2002.

21. Michelle Branch - Are You Happy Now

Shock crashout here! It's well known how much I was into Michelle Branch back in the day, and this album "Hotel Paper" to this date remains my favourite album of hers. This lead single was an instant hit for me after being very impressed with a live leak earlier in 2003, and spent 7 weeks at #1 on my chart, becoming my #1 song of the entire year. However, 20 songs managed to beat its score overall; this is as high as Michelle gets here!

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Mon April 29th, 2019, 04:05

20. Kate Voegele - Just Watch Me

By the time of this release, it had been over three years since I last heard new music from Kate, so naturally, her "Wild Card" EP would be very highly anticipated by me. It was - and this lead track certainly didn't disappoint as it shot straight to the top of my chart for six weeks. She hasn't been off my chart, with one song or another, ever since.

19. Ashlee Simpson - L.O.V.E.

A catchy pop ditty from Ashlee Simpson here, at the time it had a record 20 weeks in my top 10! It still brings back great memories whenever I hear it, and is deserving of its top 20 placing on here. Highest entry for her.

18. 3 Doors Down - When I'm Gone

3 Doors Down aren't gone yet - this is their second highest entry here! As much as I had enjoyed them before, their second album "Away From The Sun" took that to new levels and made them a core artist. This lead single, with a military-themed video, inspired soldiers apart from their families everywhere and was a long-runner for me, reaching #1 in early 2003.

17. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head

One of the biggest comebacks here, while many parts of the world never forgot Kylie, this became her biggest hit worldwide. My chart was no exception - it spent three weeks on top in early 2002 and easily remains her biggest hit.

16. Avril Lavigne - When You're Gone

Another song about being away from the one you love - this time coming from Avril Lavigne! While "The Best Damn Thing" was overall quite immature for what was expected of her then, it still gave us this ballad which is my favourite from her.

15. Nickelback - How You Remind Me

If there was any band that critics hated in the 2000's, it's Nickelback! They did have several moments that did manage to get through that, and this song, their big breakthrough, was one that was generally very well liked. My chart showed that too - it spent 2 weeks at #1 in late 2001 and remains my favourite from them.

14. Stef Lang - Paper Doll

A song about self-image here, Stef Lang certainly refused to conform and was just being herself here! This song made a quick impact for me, spending three weeks at #1 in early 2012 and having enough longevity that year to be my #2 song of the year. Easily my favourite from her.

13. 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite

And here is the highest entry for 3 Doors Down! Who knew being bored in school could result in a now-classic rock anthem? This song, written when they were teenagers, was a massive multi-format hit in 2000 and my chart was no exception as it had two weeks at #1 that summer. Still holds up very well for me to this day!

12. Kelly Clarkson - Because Of You

One of Kelly's most personal songs ever, about her parents' divorce. The emotion she feels in this one is very real, as this was the instant standout from her landmark album "Breakaway". Needless to say, upon its single release, it quickly shot to the top where it stayed for five weeks. Still one more song from her in the top 10 and if you've been following, you know what it is.

11. Victoria Duffield - More Than Friends

Now to a fun, happy pop song! Victoria Duffield was one of my favourite teen-pop Canadian singers of her day and this song was the one that really defined her for me. This flirty anthem was another quick hit for me, spending three weeks at #1 and sticking around for the bulk of 2014, where it was my #2 song of the entire year!

10. Maroon 5 - She Will Be Loved

Into the top 10 now, we're getting to the really big guns! And here is my favourite Maroon 5 song; they had 13 #1's on my chart, and this was the one with the most overall longevity. After a relatively slow rise due to charting it early, it spent 3 weeks at #1 in the summer of 2004, and ended up spending a total of 42 weeks on my chart, becoming my #1 of 2004 and my #10 song of the past 20 years.

9. Christina Aguilera - Hurt

I'm a sucker for emotional ballads like this, and this was no exception. From the second disc from her "Back To Basics" album, which featured collaborations from co-writer Linda Perry who also worked with Christina Aguilera on "Stripped", this song, co-produced by Mark Ronson, was a very personal one and you can hear it in her vocals. It spent 8 non-consecutive weeks at #1 - a record at the time - and was in my top 10 songs of 2006.

8. Adelitas Way - Last Stand

I'm a big fan of classic power ballads... and when this came out, this had that feel to it. While the Las Vegas hard rock band Adelitas Way has had several other songs make my chart since, none really come close to this one for me, which spent four weeks at #1 in early 2010 and due to its longevity that year, was my #1 song of the year.

7. Marianas Trench & Kate Voegele - Good To You

By the time this came out, Marianas Trench had already established themselves with a series of hits from their "Masterpiece Theatre" album. However, this song, due to the guest vocals from Kate Voegele, was an obvious favourite of mine; it spent a total of seven weeks at #1 in the fall of 2010, and its longevity bridged songs from three different Kate albums charting simultaneously with it, forming the centrepiece of her first four and a half year streak with continuous songs on my chart. Kate actually has four of the top 7 including this, meaning three of the top 6 are all hers!

6. Kate Voegele - Must Be Summertime

And here she is again! Kate Voegele had already been well established by this point as my favourite singer, and back in the summer of 2014, I saw her perform several brand new songs at the time! Well, eventually all five of them would be future #1's on my chart from various projects; "Must Be Summertime", a very pop-oriented anthem for the summer with a fun music video to match it, ended up on an Amazon songs of summer compilation, and when its studio version was released, it debuted at #1, staying on top for seven weeks and becoming my #1 song of 2016; the margin of victory was not even close at all, considering this song's longevity in an era when very few songs manage to last very long on my chart. And it just shows how strong Kate is for me that she has two of the top 5 so this is only her third biggest hit!

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Mon April 29th, 2019, 04:06

5. MAROON 5

Los Angeles, CA, USA (1994-present)

Originally starting back in the 90's as Kara's Flowers, this California quintet became Maroon 5 by the time they hit the major labels. Debut album "Songs About Jane", mixing soul, rock and a little jazz, was a slow builder at first, but over time became a bonafide modern classic; its lead single "Harder To Breathe" just missed my top 10, but "This Love" made my top 5 and their best charting song - "She Will Be Loved" - was my #1 song of 2004 amid tough competition. This kept my attention high for a follow-up - and "It Won't Be Soon Before Long" delivered the goods, with three #1 hits, "Wake Up Call" being the biggest - it was in my top 5 of 2007. Their next album "Hands All Over" gave them their second best chart performer, "Misery", but their commercial fortunes started to slip until lead singer Adam Levine appeared as a judge on The Voice, which led to the chart-topping "Moves Like Jagger" - which likely stands as their biggest "real world" hit, and was also a #1 for me. The hit singles continued on "Overexposed", and to a lesser extent, on "V" - but that was an omen of things to come. Its re-release single, "This Summer's Gonna Hurt", while it debuted at #1, becoming their 13th and most likely final #1, had no longevity - and to date, is their final top 20 appearance on my chart. Following this, they sunk deep into generic, basic, trend-hopping pop crap, and indeed, absolutely NOTHING from their latest album "Red Pill Blues" has even made the top 100 on my chart - a huge 180 from their days of regular #1's. Such a shame considering how unique and innovative that they used to be that they turned into one of the worst acts around - and songs like "Don't Wanna Know", "What Lovers Do" and "Girls Like You" are instant shut-offs for me. I hope they can recover and get back to what made them great to begin with, but given all the circumstances, I doubt it.

1. She Will Be Loved
    2. Misery
    3. Wake Up Call
    4. Won't Go Home Without You
    5. Love Somebody
    6. Goodnight Goodnight
    7. Moves Like Jagger
    8. Payphone
    9. This Love
    10. Makes Me Wonder
    11. Maps
    12. Never Gonna Leave This Bed
    13. Give A Little More
    14. Daylight
    15. One More Night
    16. This Summer's Gonna Hurt
    17. Sunday Morning
    18. Harder To Breathe
    19. Sugar
    20. If I Never See Your Face Again

4. KATY PERRY

Born October 25, 1984, Santa Barbara, CA, USA

The entire top 4 artists consist of 4 solo female artists... and kicking them off is none other than Katy Perry! She started off as a Christian pop singer, and had backup vocals for the likes of Mick Jagger and P.O.D. before breaking through with her proper debut album "One Of The Boys". Its lead single "I Kissed A Girl" generated controversy at the time, and on my chart, it was a quick-rising #1 hit. Shortly afterwards, I heard the follow-up "Hot N Cold", and that also climbed up my chart fast, starting her off with a second #1 in a row, proving that she was on her way to becoming a core artist. The other singles from the album, "Thinking Of You" and "Waking Up In Vegas", were also successful. Following collaborations with 3Oh!3 and Timbaland, her second album "Teenage Dream" was highly anticipated by me, and its lead single "California Gurls" became only the second song in my chart's history to debut at #1. The remainder of the era was also successful with title track "Teenage Dream" and "Firework" also hitting #1. By 2013, her third album "Prism" had come out, with three more #1's to her credit. She took some time off after this, resurfacing for her Olympics single "Rise", which was yet another #1. In 2017, she released the album "Witness"; despite lead single "Chained To The Rhythm" being another #1 hit for me, this album turned out to be a huge disappointment for me, with many of its tracks just plain being awful. I thought she was going to continue on the downhill spiral, but songs like her Dear Evan Hansen song "Waving Through A Window", Final Fantasy song "Immortal Flame" and Zedd collaboration "365" have turned out to bring her back on track; she now has 15 #1's to date, enough for fourth most #1's in my chart's history! She is currently featured on a remix of Daddy Yankee's Snow-sampling "Con Calma" as well.

1. Hot N Cold
    2. Teenage Dream
    3. California Gurls
    4. I Kissed A Girl
    5. Waking Up In Vegas
    6. Roar
    7. Birthday
    8. Part Of Me
    9. Firework
    10. Feels
    11. Rise
    12. Chained To The Rhythm
    13. Thinking Of You
    14. Unconditionally
    15. Wide Awake
    16. If We Ever Meet Again
    17. Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
    18. The One That Got Away
    19. Hummingbird Heartbeat
    20. Waving Through A Window

Legend
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

by » Fri May 3rd, 2019, 01:06

Céline Dion is an immense talent! Seeing her live in Vegas two years was certainly a highlight of the last five years. She's the greatest singer alive, and has done some pretty solid stuff in the last 20 years. I'm exploring her catalogue in full now, and I'm excited to discover new gems.

Kylie Minogue has grown on me so much over the last eight years. She has a unique flavour of pop music, and I love that she's kept her lightheartedness and fun vibes. "Raining Glitter" is one of her career-best tracks, and one of last year's big highlights for me. I'd probably rank her similarly if I did a list like this.

I didn't think Carly Rae had anything left in her tank after the "Call Me Maybe" era, so when she unleashed "Run Away with Me" on us in 2015, I wasn't ready. I certainly underestimated her in the beginning, but no more! Hoping she returns to her Emotion peak soon.

Demi Lovato has been very hit or miss with me during her career, but when she gets it right, she hits a home run. Avril Lavigne has done some quality stuff, too.

Despite the fact that I've not yet checked out her new LP, P!nk is easily one of my favourite pop artists ever. She has a genuine grit to her brand of pop that I love.

Wow at "Two Is Better Than One" being Taylor's biggest hit here! She's a big superstar on my charts, too.

I strongly disagree that Christina's recent efforts have been disappointments. I applaud how versatile how sound continues to be, and I'll always fawn over her big female empowerment anthems.

M5 are a bit hot n cold for me, but they're one of the better names in male pop for me. And speaking of hot n cold, it's the California gurl herself! Katy Perry had to grow on me, but I'm a massive fan now. She doesn't always release the best singles off her LPs, though. I can't get over how she didn't release "Walking on Air", "Legendary Lovers", or "Roulette".

Spoiler!
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, it’s not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Fri May 3rd, 2019, 06:12

5. Lauren Winans - Better At Breaking

It took 15 years for it to happen, but Lauren Winans became the first ever singer to be aware that she herself had a #1 on my chart back in 2014! This midtempo pop breakup track with an amazing voice that conveyed the feeling very well became an instant hit for me upon hearing it for the first time, taking just three weeks to reach #1 and spending most of the year on my chart. It shouldn't have been much of a surprise that this was my #1 song of the entire year, given how it caught on. Lauren, if you are reading this, congratulations on having my #5 song of the past 20 years!

4. Kate Voegele - Inside Out

And at #4, we have no stranger to the upper parts here! Indeed, Kate Voegele has FOUR songs in my top 10! This song was an instant standout on her album "A Fine Mess", which totally dominated my 2009. Upon its single release later that year, it had a quick rise to the top, spending six weeks there and becoming my final #1 of the 2000's. Its longevity into 2010 was incredible, and even not taking into account its run in 2009, still managed to be my #3 song of 2010! Add these two together, and you get my #4 song of the past 20 years! This song had an uptempo pop/rock feel that I enjoy most about Kate's songs, as well as personal, emotional lyrics that she can write and sing so well. I think we all know that she has one of the top 3.... and we know which song it is. But how high is it?

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Sat May 4th, 2019, 06:27

3. BRITNEY SPEARS

Born December 2, 1981, McComb, MS, USA - origin, Kentwood, LA, USA

She's had 30 top 10's, 19 of which were #1... was there any doubt that Britney Spears would be this high up?

Basically, she's one of those artists who, ever since the beginning days of my chart, has been one of my chart's top artists. On that very first chart, her debut single "Baby One More Time" was at #3, on its way up to #1, where it spent five non-consecutive weeks, and it spent my chart's first eight months on. The hits continued, with "Sometimes" and "(You Drive Me) Crazy" also reaching #1, becoming the first artist to start with her first three singles reaching #1. Anticipation was high for her follow-up and "Oops... I Did It Again" didn't disappoint, being an unusually high debuter for its time, entering my top 40 at #14 and shooting quickly to the top for six non-consecutive weeks. While her next album "Britney" didn't do quite as well, "In The Zone", due to heavy anticipation and a change to a more mature sound, was just the right success to keep her in the core artists zone. It was especially helped by the two-single punch of "Toxic" and the ballad "Everytime", which Britney was the primary writer on, both of which remain favourites of mine to this day and both spent multiple weeks at #1. To this day, I still feel her first four albums was one of the best album streaks released by any pop artist ever, and it shows as my 6 favourites from her are all from one of these albums.

After a multitude of personal problems, including the infamous head-shaving incident, and giving birth to her two sons, by 2007, Britney Spears was ready to come back - and the album "Blackout" became a fan favourite. While its first two singles both hit #1 for me, ultimately "Break The Ice", which peaked at #2 but had top 10 longevity, became the biggest hit on my chart from said album. The album was quickly followed by "Circus", which had its first three singles all go #1 for me, and "Womanizer" and "If U Seek Amy" are both among her top 10 best chart performers on my chart. Her success continued into a third decade for me and the "Femme Fatale" album generated three more #1's; ultimately, it was "Criminal" that did the best for me, being in her 10 best chart performers to date. Alas, her fortunes slipped for me here, as her collaboration with Will.i.am, "Scream & Shout", only peaked at #100 on my chart. While her Smurfs single "Ooh La La" debuted at #1, it had no longevity, and her next album "Britney Jean" was one of my biggest disappointments of all time, as many of its tracks were IMO awful. The lead single "Work Bitch" was a huge departure for her, and as such, it failed to reach anywhere near the top for me and was gone after just over a month. While follow-up "Perfume" did hit #1, it was a weak #1. Lack of longevity despite anticipation turned out pretty common for her here; her next album "Glory" did the same as lead single "Make Me..." failed to last despite reaching the top 5, and "Do You Wanna Come Over" also did not last long despite a quick rise to the top 10. She has recently been in rehab and I hope she has been getting the help she needs at this tough time in her life; hopefully when she is ready she can resume her career and hopefully deliver more great pop songs like I know she is capable of and I hope she can still do!

1. Baby One More Time
    2. Toxic
    3. Everytime
    4. Sometimes
    5. Oops... I Did It Again
    6. (You Drive Me) Crazy
    7. If U Seek Amy
    8. Break The Ice
    9. Criminal
    10. Womanizer
    11. Lucky
    12. Gimme More
    13. Circus
    14. Till The World Ends
    15. My Prerogative
    16. Piece Of Me
    17. Me Against The Music
    18. 3
    19. I'm A Slave 4 U
    20. Ooh La La
    21. Perfume
    22. Hold It Against Me
    23. Stronger
    24. From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart
    25. I Wanna Go
    26. Overprotected
    27. I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman
    28. Make Me..
    29. Someday (I Will Understand)
    30. Do You Wanna Come Over

3. Britney Spears - Baby One More Time

And what do you know, Britney also has my chart's third biggest hit ever! The impact of "Baby One More Time", both on pop music in general, and on my own music tastes, can't be understated! It was my chart's first major mega-hit, and helped spawn the careers of many other teen pop artists who have also managed success for me. It was my #1 song of 1999 by a huge margin, and has been a huge all-time favourite of mine ever since. Its music video was one of the most revolutionary at the time, and putting this all together, it's no wonder Britney became the huge star she has since become! Despite many more hits in the following years, this has always remained my favourite from her.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

by » Sat May 4th, 2019, 09:16

Shocked by Britney at # 3, I thought she is your second favourite singer after Kate.
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Tue May 7th, 2019, 07:43

2. KELLY CLARKSON

Born: April 24, 1982, Fort Worth, TX, USA

She's had 43 top 10 hits so far, 26 of them were #1... was there any doubt about Kelly being this high up?

In 2002, she got her start on the inaugural season of "American Idol", where she won. Her coronation single, "A Moment Like This", was a quick hit, reaching #2 for four weeks. Her album "Thankful" was released the year after, and gave her two more top 5 hits. But the best was yet to come for her - the "Breakaway" album became the first in my chart's history to have five #1 hits, the latter four of which are in her 10 best chart performers ever, and the album remains one of my all-time favourites. Her next album, the more personal "My December", also caught on for me; its second single "Sober" is also among her 10 best charters.

Her next album "All I Ever Wanted" was also anticipated by me and lived up to its hype; it added two more #1's to her tally. "Stronger" was another strong album; while its lead single "Mr. Know It All" was successful, the next two singles were one of her strongest double punches ever. "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)" was another huge hit, her fourth biggest overall, but the real kicker here was instant album standout "Dark Side", which I instantly loved, becoming the next single. I knew it would dominate, but I wasn't prepared for HOW strong it would be! It spent four weeks on top, fell out for another four... then came back for four MORE weeks! And just when it looked like it was going to fall out of the top 10... I saw her in concert and she performed it... and she rebounded to take the record for most weeks in the top 10... 26 weeks! Overall, "Dark Side" spent 46 weeks in the top 100, enough for second biggest hit ever!

By this time, Kelly was ready to release a greatest hits album, and two of its new tracks would hit #1 for me, with "People Like Us" being my #2 of 2013 and one of her 10 biggest hits to date. In 2015, she released "Piece By Piece", which had nine of its tracks reach my top 10, including five more #1's - out of those, the biggest was clearly "Invincible", her second year-end #1, and third biggest hit ever. Her most recent album, "Meaning Of Life" was released in 2017 and had seven more top 10 hits, including two #1's. And even into 2019, her success has continued, with soundtrack songs such as "The Greatest Showman" song "Never Enough" and "UglyDolls" song "Broken & Beautiful" also reaching #1. Needless to say, her success definitely isn't in any danger of coming to an end on my chart and I look forward to her next projects!

1. Dark Side
    2. Because Of You
    3. Invincible
    4. What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)
    5. Walk Away
    6. Behind These Hazel Eyes
    7. Sober
    8. Since U Been Gone
    9. People Like Us
    10. Already Gone
    11. My Life Would Suck Without You
    12. I Don't Think About You
    13. Heartbeat Song
    14. Mr. Know It All
    15. Catch My Breath
    16. Breakaway
    17. Love So Soft
    18. Never Again
    19. It's Quiet Uptown
    20. Tie It Up
    21. Dance With Me
    22. Piece By Piece
    23. A Moment Like This
    24. Would You Call That Love
    25. Heat
    26. Nostalgic
    27. Miss Independent
    28. Let Your Tears Fall
    29. I Do Not Hook Up
    30. Someone
    31. Love Goes On
    32. American Woman
    33. Move You
    34. Low
    35. Medicine
    36. All I Ever Wanted
    37. Never Enough
    38. Meaning Of Life
    39. Run Run Run
    40. Don't Let Me Stop You

2. Kelly Clarkson - Dark Side

Well, was there any doubt? Kelly Clarkson was already well established as a core artist by this point, but the release of this song put her over the top and in an elite category as the only artist that could come close to Kate Voegele territory for me. Ever since this song was released, this has been my favourite Kelly song, and my second favourite song of my entire chart era. From the lyrics about acceptance of flaws to the piano intro and build-up... just a perfectly crafted pop song. A very well deserved 8 weeks at #1, and #1 song of 2012!

Legend
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

by » Thu May 9th, 2019, 07:41

1. KATE VOEGELE

Born December 8, 1986, Bay Village, OH, USA

Well, was there ever any doubt?

Back in 2008, a young singer-songwriter named Kate Voegele got her start in a recurring role on One Tree Hill, which gave her music some exposure. Her debut album "Don't Look Away" got some attention and the song I first heard from it was its lead single "Only Fooling Myself". I loved it instantly, and wanted to hear more. The song would go on to spend a then-unprecedented 10 weeks at #1 on my chart - a feat that has not been matched since. It was clear she had potential, as I enjoyed her album a lot as well; her cover of the Leonard Cohen standard "Hallelujah" also reached #1 for me, and four further songs from "Don't Look Away" made my top 10. By the end of the year, she was back on top with a Diane Warren-written ballad, "You Can't Break A Broken Heart". Things were only getting started for Kate, after such an amazing first year... where could she go from here?

Turns out, she only went up. Her next album "A Fine Mess" came out in 2009, and it quickly had three #1's and a #2 in its earliest days of release, with "99 Times" becoming my #1 song of 2009. This continued her domination in ways that had been unprecedented as she became the first to replace herself at #1 and first to monopolize the top 2 (since then, only she and Kelly Clarkson have done either.) And by the end of the year, she had another monster hit, as "Inside Out" would spend 6 weeks at #1 to close out the 2000's and its longevity into the 2010's made it her 2nd biggest hit ever. Closing out the "A Fine Mess" era, she also charted with a collaboration with Marianas Trench, "Good To You", which spent 7 weeks at #1.

In 2011, she released "Gravity Happens", which had another hot strike rate as once again, every song I charted from it made my top 10, four of which - the most enduring being my #1 song of the year, "Heart In Chains", topped my chart. All in all, by the fall of 2012, she had a streak of over four and a half years non-stop with at least one song on my chart. It was an achievement that nobody was likely to top.

After a couple years away from the music business, Kate teased new music, now released independently, at her live shows. Some of these songs would end up on the "Wild Card" EP, to be released in late 2014; its first three tracks were all massive #1's and are among her 10 best charting songs ever. Then came a collaborative live album with Tyler Hilton, both of whom have been touring together since 2015; I charted a live cover of "When The Stars Go Blue" that both sang together from it. But the summer of 2016 turned out to be another big one as her anthem "Must Be Summertime" became a huge hit on my chart, dominating my 2016 year-end chart and spending seven weeks at #1 total.

At the end of 2016, Kate released her fourth album "Canyonlands", which was much-anticipated for me... and it certainly didn't disappoint, to the degree that EVERY song on the album made the top 4 on my chart, including five #1's! In response to the "me too" movement, Kate released a darker-sounding song, "Shoot This Arrow"; the different sound for her still worked, giving her a massive #1 once again, it was my #3 song of 2018. And into 2019, the success has continued as Kate has contributed to Tyler Hilton's song "When The Night Moves", which was her 24th #1 to date.

All of Kate's 49 charting songs so far have at least peaked at #8 - a remarkable achievement for anyone to never miss the top 10 and a testament to how great her discography is. I truly feel that Kate's music has inspired me and changed my life and made me a better person; she gives me someone to look up to, and her lyrics and personality really shine through every time. And after seeing her live six times and meeting her four times, I am truly confident in how awesome Kate is in person.

1. Only Fooling Myself
    2. Inside Out
    3. Must Be Summertime
    4. Good To You (with Marianas Trench)
    5. Just Watch Me
    6. 99 Times
    7. Heart In Chains
    8. Carousel
    9. Shoot This Arrow
    10. Ooh La La
    11. World Stops Spinning
    12. You Can't Break A Broken Heart
    13. Who You Are Without Me
    14. Angel
    15. Manhattan From The Sky
    16. Free & Wild
    17. Not The Only One
    18. Sweet Silver Lining
    19. Say You're Mine
    20. Chicago
    21. Sandcastles
    22. Crooked Road
    23. Don't Count Me Out
    24. When The Stars Go Blue (with Tyler Hilton)
    25. Unusual
    26. Catch Me On Fire
    27. Forever And Almost Always
    28. Playing With My Heart
    29. Middle Of The Night Mind
    30. Sun Will Rise
    31. I Won't Disagree
    32. Lift Me Up
    33. Impatient Girl
    34. Leave Me Hollywood
    35. Burning The Harbor
    36. I Get It
    37. Bad Bad Drug
    38. Beg You To Fall
    39. Ventura Highway
    40. Sunshine In My Sky
    41. Hallelujah
    42. Caught Up In You
    43. Gravity Happens
    44. I Don't Want To Be
    45. Enjoy The Ride
    46. Hundred Million Dollar Soul
    47. Devil In Me
    48. Enough For Always

1. Kate Voegele - Only Fooling Myself

And here is my biggest charting song ever!

I've gone all over it in my artist description, but the records set by "Only Fooling Myself" really put it in a class all its own. 10 weeks at #1 is a record that has yet to be broken, as is its run of a full year within my top 100. Even among an artist who I've consistently loved since, this has still remained my favourite from Kate and my favourite overall.

Legend
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

by » Sun May 12th, 2019, 23:09

Love how neatly 'corresponding' the top three songs/artists are!

Britney is phenomenal. When she's at her Blackout best, there simply isn't anyone in pop music that's as good. "...Baby One More Time" is her best song for me, too.

Although she's been pretty successful throughout her career, I still get the sense that Kelly Clarkson is generally underrated, so I've always been happy with how much you adore, and how high you chart, her music. "Dark Side" is good!

You're synonymous with Kate Voegele, so this was inevitable. "Only Fooling Myself" is okay, though I do prefer "99 Times".

Great countdown overall!