Thread: Tennis great Andy Murray to retire due to ongoing injury

Legend
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)

by Ľ Fri January 11th, 2019, 08:12

Andy Murray announces impending retirement from tennis Ė as it happened

* Murray reveals decision at emotional press conference
    * Former world No 1 could retire after Australian Open

Andy Murray has shocked the tennis world by announcing that the upcoming Australian Open may be his final tournament. The former world No 1 has said he wants to bow out at Wimbledon this summer, but may not be able to continue beyond Melbourne.

Hereís what Murray had to say at that dramatic press conference, having initially broken down when asked about his hip pain:

ďIím not feeling good. Iíve been struggling for a long time. Been in a lot of pain for 20 months now. Pretty much done everything I could to make my hip feel better.

ďWimbledon is where I would like to stop playing but Iím not certain Iíll be able to do that. Iím not certain I can play through the pain for another four or five months.Ē

Murray will retire with three grand slams, two Olympic golds and a total of 45 ATP career titles. Perhaps more than anything else, heíll be remembered for doing what for so long had seemed impossible Ė ending Britainís long wait for a menís Wimbledon singles champion. Hereís Kevin Mitchellís report from that glorious day back in 2013:
    Watched his press conference, clearly still a very committed and engaged player - very sad to see him break down like that.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by Ľ Fri January 11th, 2019, 11:04

He made a staggering amount of money on and off the court and I commend him for that. To be able to retire with such a fortune in your early thirties is incredibly rare and something us mere mortals can only dream about.

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by Ľ Fri January 11th, 2019, 17:11

Quote Originally Posted by ludichris
    He made a staggering amount of money on and off the court and I commend him for that. To be able to retire with such a fortune in your early thirties is incredibly rare and something us mere mortals can only dream about.
    He's a bit underrated, he managed to sneak in during the era of greats, to win a couple of GS, two Wimbledon trophies, two Olympic golds, Davis Cup. Not too shabby.
    Waffles are checked cookies

Legend
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

by Ľ Sat January 12th, 2019, 00:00

Quote Originally Posted by heppolo
    He's a bit underrated, he managed to sneak in during the era of greats, to win a couple of GS, two Wimbledon trophies, two Olympic golds, Davis Cup. Not too shabby.
    He has a bad rep among German tennis players, especially Tommy Haas (former world #2) for his style of lamenting on court.

Legend
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

by Ľ Sat January 12th, 2019, 00:22

Although financially heís well off, I think itís obvious that what hurts him the most is that he really loves tennis and really didnít want to retire now...heíd much rather keep playing it than just retire and enjoy the $
    Follow Me On Instagram

The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING

Legend
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

by Ľ Mon January 14th, 2019, 12:39

He's doing a fantastic job atm. Hope he gets to Round 2.
    Cha Cha Instructor

by Ľ Mon January 14th, 2019, 13:25

Andy Lost to Agut.

wasn't the fairytale ending.

I wish Andy all the best in life. Great ambassador for the sport.
    "Music starts with M and ends with C"

Mariah Carey

Legend
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

by Ľ Fri June 28th, 2019, 16:09

I wonder if his comeback might last
    Waffles are checked cookies