Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Song Collectors V - Finished

The Diva
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Fri January 18th, 2019, 11:40

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    Everybody probably has their own interpretation of the meaning so it’ll be interesting for you to hear those once scores are revealed
    Your choice was great match for the theme tho.

I'm playing a guessing game now. I'm pretty sure who's behind certain choices. It will be interesting to see if I was wrong.
    Omg am I that obvious?

But actually, I figured you would guess mine thanks to a post I made not so long ago

Legend
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)

by » Fri January 18th, 2019, 21:01

One of you has picked a stunning track.

Overall, my impression of the first round was that it was okay - one standout song, one very good song.

Legend
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

by » Fri January 18th, 2019, 21:21

I just hope the judges understood the message about growth/change in my song even though it may not be obvious

Legend
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

by » Fri January 18th, 2019, 21:29

I just hope they like my song a little, so I won't get kicked out first round.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Superstar
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Sat January 19th, 2019, 11:01

^ Only waiting for Jsparksfan! Hoping to post the scores suday or monday evening.

by » Sat January 19th, 2019, 11:36

Curious to see the scores of the first song I wanted to enter and if my actual choice will do better or worse.
    ¡Eh, mamá!
    Me quiero matar
    El mundo se va a la mierda
    Y no he hecho nada

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Sat January 19th, 2019, 12:16

I'm too late to participate it seems

Superstar
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Sat January 19th, 2019, 15:46

^ Sadly yes! But you can always post your opinions here and follow if you like! ;-)

Legend
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

by » Sat January 19th, 2019, 22:44

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay
    Think we are all hoping that RayRay, nobody ever wants to be the first to go
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerPeur
    Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    So does her microphone

Legend
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)

by » Sat January 19th, 2019, 22:53

Nervous but quietly confident at the same time...

Legend
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

by » Sat January 19th, 2019, 22:54

I always seem to pick songs everyone hates. :(

Legend
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

by » Sat January 19th, 2019, 23:02

let's face it
    i'm always obvious candidate for expelling/leaving out in the first round
    but
    R1 - no elimination
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbie
    i wanted to do the first elimination based on two rounds anyways
    so, everyone is safe for now

The Diva
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

by » Sun January 20th, 2019, 01:31

Maybe we could have a double round and elimination while the site is down as the judges may have more time to listen

Superstar
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 19:32

ROUND ONE SCORES

So here are the results of our very round!

1. Anita Baker - Fairy Tale (BISCUITS)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGPSinV ... e=youtu.be

Cheapthrills: I’m not so sure this is about change more than dashed expectations. I don’t feel the lyrics are anything revelatory either – life’s not a fairy tale – who knew? Though Anita can sell even the most pithy of words. If I were in the right heart space, I’d probably be more inclined to vote this higher.
    Score: 5.5

Gravity: You can never really go wrong with Anita - beautiful voice, classic R&B sound. The lyrics are great as well and I love how they're connected with the theme - not so obvious at first but it's clear what's it all about. Creative choice!
    Score: 10

Wayne: Greatly enjoyed the song, there are nuances to her voice that I really love but I don't find it to be a strong link to the theme if I'm being honest.
    Score: 7

Jsparksfan: Lovely song here. Great vocals, excellent instrumentation, and it ties in well with the theme. Strong submission!
    Score: 8,5

2. Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now (CARBON)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCnf46boC3I

Cheapthrills: A classic by Joni Mitchell – there is a throatiness to the voice that highlights her exhaustion in trying to decipher the constantly changing aspects of love and life, and failing to make heads or tails of any of it.
    Score: 8

Gravity: A classic song with a strong link to the theme. It's one of the few songs where I truly enjoy Joni's voice, because she usually doesn't do it for me. Beautiful, poetic lyrics as usual, but there is a little something this song lacks dynamically.
    Score: 9

Wayne: I remember when I first heard this song, it wasn't what I expected from Joni - I haven't heard it in ages, and it was nice to revisit it here. Amazed that she wrote this in her early 20's, the lyrics are so beautifully sombre and appear to reflect the life experiences of someone who's lived a full life. An okay link to the theme.

Jsparksfan: The melody is so lush and classy, but the vocals are sleep-inducing here. Not awful, but not good either.
    Score: 6

3. Xindl X - V Blbým V?ku (TREBOR)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfUGPsssytQ

Cheapthrills: I haven’t been studying up on my Czech and Google translate is complete trash at helping me out here – seems there’s something about waiting until retro comes back in fashion? I guess that’s change? I don’t know – at least it’s bouncy – I could imagine this getting the crowd going at a busy Czech pub.

Gravity: At first I wished I had a translation, but it wasn't needed, because I understood the most of the lyrics! It's a great song, it really got me moving on the first listen and I want to repeat it over and over again. Bonus points for being a non-English song.

Wayne: This song has no redeeming qualities - I tried my utmost with it, I listened to it three times with the lyrics on Google translate but I just couldn't get on with it. For what it's worth, it's not the language that's the issue here - please don't let this put voters off sending non-English language songs, just please make sure they're good ones.
    Score: 2

Jsparskfan: This has such a fun, upbeat melody, but I must point out that the lyrics don't really fit the theme. It's an undeniably solid song, though.
    Score: 7,5

4. Alexis Jordan - Shout Out (RAYRAY)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-VXmujpAeY

Cheapthrills: Oh dear, that Tears For Fears shout-out (see what I did there? SHOUT out? Get it? Never mind ) is quite odd. I guess it grows on you. So I mean, the change aspect is what – she’s hiding her real emotions until the right moment strikes? This is fun enough, I guess, even if I don’t really buy the connection to the theme.
    Score: 5

Gravity: I remember when I bought this album and this song was one of the few highlights, even though it's a standard electropop affair . The song I like but I knocked off some points because I personally find it to be too weak of a link to the theme.
    Score: 4

Wayne I think this should read Shout Shout? That's at least the song I listened to. I can't believe she sang "I wanna serve you up a plate of hater hole" Good song. Her voice has little inflections that sometimes remind me of Christina Aguilera.

Jsparksfan: Basic, uninspired pop. I also don't think there's any tangible connection to the theme here.
    Score: 5,5

5. Astral - Come And Go (NAVI)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAyKR1p ... e=youtu.be

Cheapthrills: I’m digging this hazy, languid sound – I wish the singing matched the music because it’s an uncomfortable juxtaposition – kind of a sad, mournful tone.
    Score: 8.5

Gravity: A nice, soothing song, I love the bluesy (?) touch with the guitar and the dude's voice is pure gold over this track. Good link to the theme.

Wayne: The guitar is awesome, and the song is brilliantly atmospheric - not normally here for this type of stuff but you caught me in the right mood.

Jsparksfan: This was pleasant. I liked it.

6. Brandon Flowers - I Can Change (FLOPHO)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FmPEoC7vg4

Cheapthrills: You would think “I Can Change” would be a positive thing, but when the change is to meet someone else’s expectations, it makes for an incredibly desperate and sad undercurrent. And despite that,Brandon bounces along when talking about that change like he just got a tasty Snickers bar. The irony is amazing.

Gravity: Sorry, I found this to be too generic and uninspired. And despite him literally saying he can change in the chorus, the connection to the theme wasn't strong enough for me.

Wayne: Does this sample Bronski Beat's Smalltown Boy? If not, it's eerily similar, a solid choice of song. It's a simple choice in terms of the theme, but why reinvent the wheel eh?

Jsparksfan: Best song this round! Great selection!

7. Christina Perri - Burning Gold (SPARTAN)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aNxhQKAXxE

Cheapthrills: I feel like this is the most direct take on the topic – kind of looking at your life, seeing what’s wrong, throwing it all into the dumpster fire, and coming out of it all glittery. This is more upbeat than I’ve heard from Christina Perri – it’s a nice look for her.

Gravity: Very generic lyrics, connected to the theme but they didn't move me or made me think in any way. The song itself is pleasant, but nothing special.

Wayne It's a simplistic melody, and the song sounds like it was produced on a budget of a tenner in places, but the lyrics are amazing and I quite like her voice - great link to the theme as well. Brandon seemed to want change to meet the whims of another person or thing, Christina on the other hand demands change because she's had enough - much more like me!

Jsparskfan: Kudos on finding the best Christina Perri song in her catalogue. This is good!
    Score: 7,5

8. Amber Gomaa - Times Are Changing (THRILLER)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9j4SD6 ... e=youtu.be

Cheapthrills: This isn’t a fit for me – so, so sorry to whoever submit it. I think the twinkling music and falsetto are a little much.
    Score: 3.5

Gravity: Beautiful atmospheric track, it reminds me of something Foxes, Shura or Carly Rae Jepsen would do. The lyrics are "on the nose" when it comes to the theme, but they paint a beautiful imagery in my head and are not just a set of cliches like those in Christina Perri's song.
    Score: 9,5

Wayne: Didn't get on with this until about a minute out from the song ending and the song suddenly changed itself up a bit, it almost breaks down into a different song and it somewhat redeems what is a pretty insipid song otherwise (though it does somewhat link to the theme). 4 minutes of what we had at the end, this would've been a solid 7/10.

Jsparskfan: A+ for matching the theme, B- for song quality

9. Cheryl Crow - A Change Would Do You Good (SUMMERPEUR)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikjmz_SlGhg

Cheapthrills: Not a huge Sheryl fan, but I don’t have a big problem with this song. It gets mighty repetitive though.
    Score: 5.5

Gravity: Can't go wrong with classic Sheryl. This is her at her best and I adore her lyrical game on this. A safe choice but I'll let it slide this time

Wayne: This has grown to become one of my favourite Sheryl songs, it's very 90s - docked a point for being the most obvious choice of the round.

Jsparksfan: This was unimpressive.

10. Guy Sebastian - Taller Stronger Better (AFFILLATE)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6Y5g9N9Tw&app=desktop

Cheapthrills: I think it’s a song with this type of change I was hoping to hear more of – trying to move past something traumatic. Guy Sebastian’s has a bright voice that fits so well with this song.

Gravity: I feel like I know at least 100 songs similar to this one vocally, lyrically and musically...again I feel like it's kinda generic and has a too predictable connection to the theme.

Wayne: I quite like his little vocal runs and riffs, but this is very Disney isn't it? I quite like the bridge, and he has a lovely vibrato but it's on the bland side of bland and I fear this would be right at home on The Greatest Showman OST.

Jsparksfan: Even for me, this was schmaltzy.
    Score: 6,5

11. Brandi Carlile - The Joke (LEOMEDAR)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r6A2NexF88

Cheapthrills: I can’t really say this fits the theme for me – this seems more of a “selfie pop” song - the “baby you’re a firework” variety. So ignoring that, this is lyrically and vocally perfect – Brandi Carlile glides over these dense and meaningful lyrics like a crane over water – it’s breath-taking.

Gravity: I usually like Brandi, just not this song. And I didn't feel the theme of change was strongly present here.

Wayne: Massive goosebumps! The pristine vocals, the utterly superb string instrumentation and the incredible lyrics come together in such harmony - song of the round for me. I've listened to it 3 times though, and I find the link to "change" to be tenuous (unless the selector has taken the theme of the song - our differences as humans - to mean change?). Having read up on it whilst listening and learning that she wrote this in light of the US elections in 2016, I've decided that the link to change comes relating to the election of Trump and the change that represented - therefore, I award this top marks.

Jsparksfan: Gorgeous vocals, but lacklustre song.

Scoreboard:

Navi leads the pack this first round, followed by the rest. But take deep breaths everyone, the first round no one has to leave the game yet! You have round two to to score better, especialy those who are at the bottom need to be carefull in order not to be the first one to leave!

Interesting fact that Spartan wasn't the only one who chose that song, but he was te first so the other one had to change their entry. Also an interesting fact is how one judge scored a song 9,5 and another judge gave the same song only 3,5 points.....

Superstar
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 19:39

Round 2
    The second round will be all about movies! Grab your popcorn, and choose a song that was used in a movie. It has be an instrumental one, to make this round more interesting! Be as creative as possible, and surprise our lovely judges!

Deadline: Wednesday

Legend
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 20:09

Navi leads the pack this first round

this can't be real

Legend
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 20:17

Well done navi!

Not bad to start with, but I’m hoping I’ve selected a winner for this theme!

Legend
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 21:10

Glad about the outcome. I was afraid the link to the theme would be an issue, but it was in most of the choices lol. I remembered that as a judge it was hard to fully evaluate themes so decided just to let it flow.
    The Joke for me represents the changing era about bullying we are going through, with many of us trying to stop accepting bullying as a normal thing. And then about feminism and the change thats been willing to happen. And then the song tríes to tell those going through a tough time that eventually things will look bright. So imo is perfect linked to change

Great Job navi!
    VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
    PLAY Sara Bareilles Artist Survivor @ Music Games & Survivors
    CHECK
    The Leo Chart + Deconstructing Leo: Lisa Loeb's Top40 + Deconstructing Leo 2.0: 2018 Awards @ Personal Charts

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 21:12

Quote Originally Posted by flopho
    Curious to see the scores of the first song I wanted to enter and if my actual choice will do better or worse.
    This was X-Tina Perri's Burning Gold btw

Happy with the results, did better than I expected.
    Not too familiar with instrumental tracks so this won't be the easiest round for me
    ¡Eh, mamá!
    Me quiero matar
    El mundo se va a la mierda
    Y no he hecho nada

Legend
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 21:15

thanks, Thriller ,trebor and leomedar

if anyone is interested to hear a winning song (because this youtube link doesn't work for me)
    here is the alternative link

btw.
    sent my film instrumental

Legend
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 21:38

As the title says, this first round will be all about change! I was inspired by how Ukmix, after 20 years, is still growing and evolving. Please choose a song that will show the changing of times, seasons, or whatever you think fits! It can also be about how a person itself can change, learn and grow. It’s all up to you!
    Can't believe none of the judges got why Shout Shout by Alexis Jordan was linked to the theme. The chorus is taken from a very well known 80s song (which some of you did hear) and is changed into a whole new song. I thought it would be a bit too obvious, but I was all wrong about that.

Legend
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 21:48

^ I haven't heard it, but I think the point was the message of the song, not the fact that the sound was changed. Obviously people can interpret it as they like, but I think the judges were focused on the subject matter (which seems the most logical to me too)

Hate the R2 theme as I neither watch movies, nor listen to instrumental tracks. I found a nice one so hopefully the judges will like it enough that I survive

Legend
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

by » Mon January 21st, 2019, 21:49

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    ^ I haven't heard it, but I think the point was the message of the song, not the fact that the sound was changed. Obviously people can interpret it as they like, but I think the judges were focused on the subject matter (which seems the most logical to me too)

Hate the R2 theme as I neither watch movies, nor listen to instrumental tracks. I found a nice one so hopefully the judges will like it enough that I survive
    Lyrics were also about change, but a lot of songs are. She sings she was his friend, but now she is his enemy.