Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue February 12th, 2019, 10:45

I'll try to send my comments before the end of the day!
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue February 12th, 2019, 21:28

I voted. I get the feeling our scores will be all over the place this round.

I appreciate that most people didn't go with anything obvious and took risks.
    Not that risks always work

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 01:38

Just sent my comments. Best round of the game for me so far.
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 02:26

i am not expecting good points from Wayne nor Akini... not clear about the other two.
    VISIT UKmix HOT100 @ Front Desk
    PLAY Sara Bareilles Artist Survivor @ Music Games & Survivors
    CHECK
    The Leo Chart + Deconstructing Leo: Lisa Loeb's Top40 + Deconstructing Leo 2.0: 2018 Awards @ Personal Charts

Superstar
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 15:15

ROUND 3 SCORES

Here are the scores of our third round! Let's take a look and find out how many points the judges rewarded the songs:

1. Jason Derulo - Cheyenne (AFFILLATE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNi0gyO41VQ

Wayne: It's very Jason Derulo-esqe isn't it? But why try to fix something that isn't broken, eh? He has a solid voice and I always seem to enjoy his productions - this is very listenable.
    Score: 7

Jsparksfan: Fairly basic pop, but I do appreciate the high level of energy and passion.

Gravity: I am really not a fan of him, but this was decent, better than 90% of his other output.
    Score: 7,5

Cheapthrills: Jason is usually pretty solid. The instrumental break sounds like it should be in a different part of the song. Video is weird btw; I suppose a man with commitment issues might find falling in love to be the equivalent of a horror movie.

2. Chew Lips - Karen (NAVI)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQsYiSr58aU

Wayne: I love her voice! She has a unique twang, most evident when she's singing vowels - really pleasant. The production isn't complex but it shouldn't need to be - this is just a really good song.
    Score: 8

Jsparskfan: Catchy and a bit different from what you'd hear on mainstream radio. I liked it!

Gravity: Pleasant but boring. I swear I know at least 1000 tracks that sound exactly like this one.
    Score: 4

Cheapthrills: Mesmerizing contrast between the lead singer’s deliberate and floating vocals and the somewhat drum-based dance beat. I enjoy it more when she’s singing and less during the instrumental bridge. Nice choice!
    Score: 9

3. Regina Spektor - Dear Theodosia (SPARTAN)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6-z...ature=youtu.be

Wayne: I wonder who's nominated this? I don't recall this song being part of her artist survivor (I presume because it's a mixtape song) - the male voice harmonises with her voice really nicely but I think that the song would be better with just her. Lovely song.

Jsparskfan: This definitely isn't the strongest track from the Hamilton Mixtape, but I'm a sucker for musicals, and the harmonies on this one weren't bad.

Gravity: I liked the lyrics, the music and the vocals not so much.
    Score: 6

Cheapthrills: Aww, Hamilton! I managed to get tickets when it came here last year! I prefer Chance the Rapper’s version, but the lyrics are magical regardless, a promise to children every parent should make.

4. King Charles - Lady Percy (FLOPHO)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slm3BcOqMlk

Wayne: Got Klingande - Jubel vibes from this. This was so fun! Struggled to understand the lyrics in places, but who cares? Good song - would happily revisit.

Jsparksfan: The song's production is a bit busy, but I love a full melody and rich instrumentation.

Gravity: I really enjoyed this; it's fun, upbeat and different from the stuff you usually hear. Good choice!
    Score: 10

Cheapthrills: I mean... I think we should all start a movement to include more kettle drums in music, don’t you? They give such life to this song.
    Score: 8.5

5. Kelis - Little Suzy (BISCUITS)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ1z...ature=youtu.be

Wayne: Love me some Kelis, and this doesn't disappoint - the production is awesome, even without knowing The Neptunes were behind this, I would've guessed it was a Pharrell Williams production. It's an awesome song.

Jsparskfan: Wow, this is beautiful! Uplifting and powerful lyrics, soothing melody and engaged vocals - this is such a therapeutic listen. Best of the round for me!

Gravity: Hi biscuits! This one is not one of my favorites from Kelis, I have always found it a bit annoying to listen to, but lyrically it's a masterpiece and a nice addition to Wanderland album.

Cheapthrills: I can definitely hear the Neptunes’ production.I know some on UKmix think Pharrell is trash, but I love how he manages to make something retro sound so contemporary. The lyrics, especially everything that precedes the “ why why why”s is chilling, but the music complements her blissful ignorance.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 15:24

6. PJ Harvev - A Perfect Day Elise (LEOMEDAR)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3tD9EPOEik

Wayne: I really don't like the production, it sounds like it was produced on a budget of £2.49. Love the video though, and her vocals are incredible in places - nothing complex, just really ethereal in places such as during the chorus ("...a perfect day - a perfect day...Elise..."). Production spoils it IMO.

Jsparksfan: Sleep-inducing, but I got some shreds of the emotion the singer attempted to convey.

Gravity: Thanks for reminding me of this one, it's a wonderful tune. This song is like anger that is building up under the surface, it never explodes but you still get to experience the brutality.
    Score: 10

Cheapthrills: Hm, I don’t like this. The fuzzed-up vocals, the off kilter back-up, the monotonous guitar, the depressing lyrics – nope.
    Score: 3

7. Norah Jones - Miriam (CARBON)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZgkClKE6hQ

Wayne: Goodness me, this was sensational - song of the game so far for me. It's moody, with an understated beauty - how they perform the chorus is really quite something and Norah's vocals are rich and full with a subtle power you wouldn't expect from her. Brilliant choice.

Jsparksfan: This one has some melodramatic lyrics. Juxtaposed against that sombre melody, this is definitely an interesting listen, if nothing else.

Gravity: Some interesting lyrics, but overall I found it uninspiring and undercooked like 90% of Norah's other songs.

Cheapthrills: Wow, when did Norah become a psychopath? She reels Miriam in with a nice compliment about her beautiful name before going full wacko using this odd, off-putting sing-song tone (though we see her true loony self in the bridge I think.) I don’t think I like the sing-song tone.
    Score: 5.5

8. Steve Inwood - Valerie (THRILLER)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbKNICg-REA

Wayne: Classic tbh. SO much better than that awful Zutons song, which shares the same name.

Jsparskfan: This had some funky instrumentation! It's pedestrian in a lot of other ways, though I will give it full marks in the earnestness department.

Gravity: This song is the 80's personified. But not in a good way.
    Score: 5

Cheapthrills: This gets very occasional airplay on the 80s station here. It’s OK; Steve has better. Those synthesizers sure date these songs, don’t they?
    Song: 5

9. Blackie Jackett Jr. - Dorothy (TREBOR)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKgw8nlBLdA

Wayne: I would make an educated guess at who's choice this is, will share once the results are announced whether I'm right or not. Good song, I love his voice. Also, it's called "Dorothy" - it's almost sacrilege as a gay man for me not to like it.

Jsparskfan: What a submission! It's always risky to submit country music in UKMix song contests, but this is a risk that definitely paid off. The song has heart, a catchy refrain, strong vocals, and a simplicity and rawness that is charming.

Gravity: I really liked the country vibe and the guy's voice. Very nice.

Cheapthills: The 1920s video treatment is a little too precious and distracting. The song is helped a lot by having the female vocals in the back-up, which gives a brightness to the bitterness.
    Song: 8.5

10. Gypsy & The Cat - Jona Vark (SUMMERPEUR)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YboETF6ZHQ
    Wayne: I wanted to despise this based on the act and title but I pretty much loved it - will be playing this in the car (it's gone straight on my driving playlist).

Jsparskfan: I keep hearing "Joan of Arc" instead of "Jona Vark". That quirk aside, this is beautiful. It has a memorable chorus, and a fresh melody.

Gravity: It reminds me of some Fletwood Mac songs. Not the most original thing out there, but nice and breezy enough. Bonus points for Jona Vark/Joan of Arc wordplay.
    Score: 8,5

Cheapthrills: This has a sweet, summery vibe to it. It sounds very much of its time where dance music was a few years ago. Not bad.

Summerpeur takes over the first place from Thriller. Carbon comes in second last, and has to watch out for elimination.

Sadly we have to say goodbye to Navi, who’s second round score was too low to revange himself in the third round. Thank you for playing, I hope you atleast enjoyed participating and will continue to follow the game!

Round 4 will come in a few hours! ;-)

Last edited by Colbie; Wed February 13th, 2019 at 15:33.

The Diva
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Diva
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 15:30

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    Topped the round
    I’m never top. *sad face*

Superstar
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 15:37

Had to post it in two halfs :-(
    The character limit was too low for it al to fit in!

Congratulations @biscuits !!

And in case anyone wonders, the next theme won't be the annoying horror theme

Legend
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 17:38

Too bad PJ got the lowest individual point, with cheapthrills’ 3...
    ill need to improve a lot next round as i am second to last with the rolling effect
    CHECK
    The Leo Chart + Deconstructing Leo: Lisa Loeb's Top40 + Deconstructing Leo 2.0: 2018 Awards @ Personal Charts

Superstar
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 18:54

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I’m never top. *sad face*
    I thought you preferred it that way.

Sorry, leo! The song wasn't a fit for me! Hope we match up in the next round

Legend
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 19:24

None of you have any taste! Valerie is amazing.

Legend
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 19:30

Quote Originally Posted by Colbie View Post
    Had to post it in two halfs :-(
    The character limit was too low for it al to fit in!
    That's not possible, unless you've got lots of hidden characters? The site wide global limit on characters per post is 150,000. Can you try combining your two posts again and then send me a print screen of the error message you get please?

Legend
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 19:32

Wow, thought it would be @Carbon who submitted the Regina song!

Delighted with his submission though, that Norah song is really quite something - surprised the other judges didn't like it.

A really strong round overall, sad to see @navi go - especially during the round in which I finally connected with one of his entries!

For what it's worth, I was right in my assumption that it was @trebor who selected the Dorothy song.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 19:40

Round 4
    - All By Myself

This round is all about breakup songs. Some breakups have inspired the most beautiful songs, and its the duty of our dear collectors to send me a song that is about breaking up. This does not seem like a happy theme, but sometimes parting ways can be actualy a good thing......

Deadline: friday
    Last edited by Colbie; Wed February 13th, 2019 at 19:47.

Legend
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 19:41

I wonder if anyone will dare to submit it...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 19:55

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    That's not possible, unless you've got lots of hidden characters? The site wide global limit on characters per post is 150,000. Can you try combining your two posts again and then send me a print screen of the error message you get please?
    The text for the scores was around 1322 characters, without my intro and outro and the link from my photo, so don't know what happened since it should fit. Also becouse it fitted the first rounds.....

I'm not gonna risk posting the error message incase it will actualy post this time and i can't delete posts.....

Legend
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 20:18

Mark them down if they do!

Legend
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 20:22

Achy Breaky Heart?
    My personal chart Eurovision songs... at #... - Click here

Legend
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 21:31

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    Achy Breaky Heart?
    If anyone submits that, they'll be getting a 1 from me!

Legend
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 21:48

Sadly we have to say goodbye to Navi
    i was already prepared to leave after the miserable score in previous round
    My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)

Legend
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed February 13th, 2019, 23:58

Song sent.
    COlbie, sorry I sent three different songs but I stick to the LAST message lol

It's a big risky choice but at the same time kind of a safe one, but there is one line in the song that made me go for it.
    CHECK

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 14th, 2019, 00:29

Huh, surprisingly enough this is the first time I'm hearing of that Regina Spektor song! It's quite nice, though she has better name songs, with Samson being the clear standout. I actually wanted to nominate it, but didn't want to seem to obvious.

I don't think I'll make it through very far, I'm basically clinging by a thread now. Hope the judges will like my submission.

P.S. @Wayne, glad you liked the Norah song! Had a feeling you might. I think I wow you with a song in every season.