Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: RuPaulís Drag Race UK [Season 1]

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Ľ Fri November 1st, 2019, 21:51

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBreakaway View Post
    I wouldn't call it a flop. It seems to do well on i player. There's no doubt in my mind that we will get another series. UK drag is fundamentally different to US drag. I've worked on gay scenes for 10+years and it is polar opposites to US drag shows. For the UK it's camp and cheap and very old school. I think for most people it's just weird seeing a very American show with very British (and Northern Irish) Queens. We can't expect the same stuff we get with drag race US and if you're expecting it to be the same, then you just don't understand UK drag.
    As I’ve said, I know the UK gay scene very well. Since drag race, the ‘camp and cheap’ queens have been dying out. The queens I know and work alongside in Manchester and Liverpool are now very much ‘club kids’ and ‘look queens’. A lot of the ones that are polished just didn’t try out as they weren’t sure how it would do.

I enjoy watching this show and although I thought it would be a flop in the past; I think I was closer to how it is being received than a lot of the queens and a lot of you in here watching it.

It’s almost like a ‘special edition’ and nowhere near the level of the proper show.
    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by Ľ Fri November 1st, 2019, 22:10

I've said I don't know, but that doesn't change the fact that NY alone probably has twice as many gay bars and venues where drag queens perform than the whole of the UK, doesn't it?

And what do you expect, US people to fly over to UK to see UK queens? Just because something is available on streaming doesn't mean people will go for it either. There is a bit of a RPDR fatigue with the regular seasons and All Stars coming out much faster than before and you can see it clearly in the ratings for these shows.

The fact RPDRUK happened is a nice thing for itself.

Also I'm not surprised at people not being over the moon with any of these queens. 5 episodes in and I still had more fun and enjoyment in Thailand S01E01.

The fact they gave away first triple win and it doesn't feel like a big moment as no one is shocked or surprised by it here because the reward is a pin (which might probably end up as RPDR merch later LOL) says a lot.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by Ľ Fri November 1st, 2019, 23:20

The UK series was never going to be as popular as the US series. Yes it's a part of the Drag Race franchise but look at any American reacting to any episode, they're more confused than entertained and I think that's largely because this side of the water has grown up with so much American influences and not vice versa.

It definitely hasn't been a flop. 6 episodes in and comparing a 100k Instagram follower count to someone like Plastique Tiara's 1 million during her season is just simply not fair. You're taking one of the lowest follower counts and comparing it to one of the highest (and probably the most impressive follower count we've seen on any series).

This is a very much test the waters season for the BBC and honestly I think it has nothing to worry about.

Manager
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

by Ľ Fri November 1st, 2019, 23:30

Quote Originally Posted by aaliyahman View Post
    As I’ve said, I know the UK gay scene very well. Since drag race, the ‘camp and cheap’ queens have been dying out. The queens I know and work alongside in Manchester and Liverpool are now very much ‘club kids’ and ‘look queens’. A lot of the ones that are polished just didn’t try out as they weren’t sure how it would do.

I enjoy watching this show and although I thought it would be a flop in the past; I think I was closer to how it is being received than a lot of the queens and a lot of you in here watching it.

It’s almost like a ‘special edition’ and nowhere near the level of the proper show.
    Just out of curiosity. What Manchester queen's. I know a few and as I said have a few friends in common with Divina so just curious if you know any of my friends lol

Back to topic, I still wouldn't consider it a flop. Its doing well enough to get more series
    3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!

Legend
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

by Ľ Fri November 1st, 2019, 23:34

From an Australian perspective, I've found it to be a very enjoyable season so far. I'd possibly go as far to say that it's been better than the last 3-4 US seasons, as it feels much more organic.

I would be surprised if we don't see at least 3 seasons of this show.

Legend
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)

by Ľ Sat November 2nd, 2019, 15:39

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru View Post
    the lipsyncs this season have been MEH
    Yeah where are the tricks?

Crystal won the lipsync for me, The Vivienne just walked around the stage, but it was obvious The Viv wouldnít go this early.

Loved the second groupís performance, plus Cheryl. I wonder if Cheryl will lipsync in front of Cheryl next week.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by Ľ Sat November 2nd, 2019, 16:08

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    I wonder if Cheryl will lipsync in front of Cheryl next week.
    Something the producers won't pass I think.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)

by Ľ Sat November 2nd, 2019, 16:44

The Vivienne is my pick to win now that Sum Ting's gone. It needs to be her, Divina, and Baga in the top three, though I must say that I like the entire top six. I didn't really want to see anyone go home this week.
    Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2019: [175-151]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

by Ľ Sat November 2nd, 2019, 16:51

I love UK show. Queens are so cute, funny, there's no overproduced drama, and there's something real about the show this time, something US version lost longgggg time ago.

Divina is so humble, such a sweetheart, seems like a good person w tough past. And her smile is everything
    The Vivienne is so confident, she knows what she's doing, and she know exactly what she wants. Her confidence reminds me of Trinity The Tuck
    Baga Chipz is selling her humor the best, I'm not a fan of most of her runways, but she's selling humor with lack of taste for visual. I love her
    Blue is so young, she has her style, she knows her drag, she's the most americanized queen for me tho. I'm not a huge fan still, I'm not bought yet.
    Cheryl Hole is such a drama we needed in UK version, she's so funny, yet sometimes annoying and delusional. I lovvvvved her in girl group performance. I don't get why judges, especially Michelle, criticize her style and visuals and on the other hand they don't criticize Baga for wearing that cleaning supply.

1. Divina
    2. Baga Chipz
    3. The Vivienne
    4. Cherly
    5. Blue

Manager
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

by Ľ Sat November 2nd, 2019, 20:12

I can't believe how well Frock Destroyers song is doing on ITunes. It's been top 3 since yesterday!

Manager
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by Ľ Sat November 2nd, 2019, 22:04

Quote Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
    From an Australian perspective, I've found it to be a very enjoyable season so far. I'd possibly go as far to say that it's been better than the last 3-4 US seasons, as it feels much more organic.
    Peeerioooooodttt

Manager
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

by Ľ Sun November 3rd, 2019, 20:11

I can't believe frock Destroyers are number 3 on iTunes and number 10 on the big top 40

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by Ľ Sun November 3rd, 2019, 20:23

But this season is a ‘flop’.

Legend
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)

by Ľ Sun November 3rd, 2019, 20:26

The Big Top 40 is still based around iTunes? Oh dear.

The success of the song proves the series is doing well!

Manager
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

by Ľ Sun November 3rd, 2019, 22:30

This could become a minor hit

Roadie
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

by Ľ Mon November 4th, 2019, 00:08

Does it have a chance at debuting in the top 40 singles? Mid week’s still come out on Monday right?

Legend
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

by Ľ Mon November 4th, 2019, 03:00

Itís Top 20 as per Sunday midweek!

Also how good was Jade as guest judge!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

by Ľ Mon November 4th, 2019, 16:40

Quote Originally Posted by westhammer View Post
    It’s Top 20 as per Sunday midweek!

Also how good was Jade as guest judge!
    Great! Yes, she was good! I liked that moment when she and Michelle sort of clashed when Jade had a different opinion (I think it was Crystal's runway look).

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Ľ Mon November 4th, 2019, 17:38

Just out of curiosity. What Manchester queen's. I know a few and as I said have a few friends in common with Divina so just curious if you know any of my friends lol

Back to topic, I still wouldn't consider it a flop. Its doing well enough to get more series
    Hey, Ana Phalactic mainly said this and for me, she's pretty much one of the best queens that has all of 'Drag Race' attributes.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Ľ Mon November 4th, 2019, 17:49

Quote Originally Posted by jason2379 View Post
    But this season is a ‘flop’.
    Yes, it is by expectation. Show me it isn't.

When an idiot like Megan McKenna can 'blow up' on iTunes from the former shadow of a reality show then this (whilst surprising) doesn't identify this show as a hit.

I loved the Frock Destroyers and your avid 'defence' of the show is great yet this isn't stan wars. I am expressing my opinion and you are expressing bitter sentiment at it.

I enjoy watching this show for what it is, a cheap knock off of the American version.

The prizes, the lack of exposure, the lack of skill (makeup, lipsync and creativity) have shown this.

Vivienne is from the old style of Lip Syncing, stand and mime to the sky. She is the favourite to win. Baga on the runway is like a Dawn French parody. She is also a favourite to win.

My perspective isn't about tearing these queens down but I do think they need a reality check. I even watched a cideo of Drag Con and TS Madison was in the same hotel as Vivienne, Viv acted like an icy cow towards her and this is what I think it boils down to for me.

The all around talent on the UK version just isn't there yet. Let's not make any excuses; these queens have had 10 years to get up to par. Yet when they start over hyping themselves, I get turned off. Cheryl Hole is deplorable for me. Crystal was good but a slightly more developed version of the atrocious (i'm straight then bisexual then just millennial) Scaredy Kat. Gothy Kendoll was practically a vapid nothing. Sum Ting and Vinegar had great personality but literally no clue on what to do. Blu is great at makeup yet poor on taste/style and personally the age jokes and 'I'm a young queen' are annoying. Baga chips is funny but more like a 90's drag queen. I can't tell how old she is or what she is great at apart from her foul mouth (which I love) her racism and opinions I don't. DDP is pretty good from what I see and reminds me of Alaska yet again, not on par with her. Yet I like the show for what it is.

Manager
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

by Ľ Mon November 4th, 2019, 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by aaliyahman View Post
    Hey, Ana Phalactic mainly said this and for me, she's pretty much one of the best queens that has all of 'Drag Race' attributes.
    Amazing yeah my mutual friends with her are mostly Bradford Queens other than a couple of Manchester ones like Ginger Hunter

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

by Ľ Tue November 5th, 2019, 15:19

Its fully not a flop.

Most of the sentiment I have seen is that this is one of the best seasons of all time of any of the Drag Race franchise, with possible exception of Thailand, and that this particular episode was one of the singles best DR episodes in literally years.

the girls may not become global superstars but this series is in so many ways a HUGE success.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

by Ľ Tue November 5th, 2019, 15:42

I'm so in love with DDC! She's definitely one of my favourite queens to ever be on RPDR.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Ľ Tue November 5th, 2019, 15:43

Amazing yeah my mutual friends with her are mostly Bradford Queens other than a couple of Manchester ones like Ginger Hunter
    wow Great!! I haven't been out in Manchester for a while!

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Ľ Tue November 5th, 2019, 15:43

Quote Originally Posted by king_oxymoron View Post
    Its fully not a flop.

Most of the sentiment I have seen is that this is one of the best seasons of all time of any of the Drag Race franchise, with possible exception of Thailand, and that this particular episode was one of the singles best DR episodes in literally years.

the girls may not become global superstars but this series is in so many ways a HUGE success.
    Where are you seeing this?