User Tag List

Thread: Thank u, next! Why pop stars fell out of love with albums ...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 10th, 2019, 17:30

Thank u, next! Why pop stars fell out of love with albums

Chart-toppers used to focus on long-players. Now, in the streaming era, they can release tracks whenever they like and many, including Ariana Grande, have decided to do just that ...
    The Guardian

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 10th, 2019, 21:40

A bit strange as Ariana released two long players in the last six months.

Though I do agree that albums are not that important anymore.
    My personal chart with four new entries... at #... - Click here

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 10th, 2019, 21:55

Most pop stars always focused on singles, even at the peak of album sales.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 10th, 2019, 22:11

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    A bit strange as Ariana released two long players in the last six months.

Though I do agree that albums are not that important anymore.
    I think what the article wants to say is that the album is - if it is released at all - just an extra at the 'end' of a campaign full of singles.

Legend
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 10th, 2019, 22:37

Kylie's campaign begs to differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerPeur
    Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney
    So does her microphone

Legend
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun February 10th, 2019, 23:14

Quote Originally Posted by SummerPeur View Post
    Kylie's campaign begs to differ.
    Exactly.
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat March 2nd, 2019, 21:59

It's like music videos. They drop them so fast that the era is over after the album is released.
    Colbie Caillat / Taylor Swift / Avril Lavigne / Sara Bareilles

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun March 3rd, 2019, 12:02

It might be dependent on the country. In the German-speaking countries, the artists that could be considered 'pop stars' usually do much better with their albums than with their singles.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun March 3rd, 2019, 12:37

Yeah nowadays the album is pretty much the last chapter of the era, if we can still talk about era anyway.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Superstar
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri March 8th, 2019, 15:45

I think albums fell out of favor not because of the artists, but because the public has stopped buying albums.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat March 9th, 2019, 19:20

The problem i have with albums is filler. An album with 10 amazing songs is far more appealing to me than an album of 18 songs where i only love about 7 tracks - that leaves 11 songs that i have no desire to go back and listen to numerous times.

If albums remained concise and full of quality i'd buy more albums.

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun March 10th, 2019, 01:37

Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    The problem i have with albums is filler. An album with 10 amazing songs is far more appealing to me than an album of 18 songs where i only love about 7 tracks - that leaves 11 songs that i have no desire to go back and listen to numerous times.

If albums remained concise and full of quality i'd buy more albums.
    I love longer albums. Everyone has their own favorite songs. With short albums you can like 6 songs and then you hear the left out tracks and you think: "If they released a 16 track album, I would have loved 10 songs!"

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun March 10th, 2019, 10:23

Let's see why releasing songs straight to streaming instead of digital/physical albums is popular and can be lucrative:

Spotify royalty rate per stream is reportedly $0.00437

'Hit' songs with 100 million streams can generate $437,000 from Spotify alone + royalties from other streaming services + radio royalties + TV/Film licencing = $$$$$$

I can record and release a professionally mastered song in a studio for as little as 350. It is profitable!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun March 10th, 2019, 14:29

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    I love longer albums. Everyone has their own favorite songs. With short albums you can like 6 songs and then you hear the left out tracks and you think: "If they released a 16 track album, I would have loved 10 songs!"
    That's the exact issue i'm referring to though.

For eg when The Weeknd released Starboy there were about 9 songs of the album i thought were really strong. The rest of the album did nothing for me. I'd have quite happily bought that album had it been 10 or 11 tracks total with just 2 songs i'd personally consider as filler. Sadly sometimes the strongest songs only appear on the deluxe edition. lol

I suppose its all down to personal preference. Sometimes album tracks can grow with multiple listens but usually if i don't like the sound of a track on first listen, it's highly unlikely i'll ever like that song. I know what i love.

Legend
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sun March 10th, 2019, 17:10

Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    That's the exact issue i'm referring to though.

For eg when The Weeknd released Starboy there were about 9 songs of the album i thought were really strong. The rest of the album did nothing for me. I'd have quite happily bought that album had it been 10 or 11 tracks total with just 2 songs i'd personally consider as filler. Sadly sometimes the strongest songs only appear on the deluxe edition. lol

I suppose its all down to personal preference. Sometimes album tracks can grow with multiple listens but usually if i don't like the sound of a track on first listen, it's highly unlikely i'll ever like that song. I know what i love.
    That's the thing though. If it had been a 10 track album with just 2 songs you liked... Everybody has different favorite songs. So if there would only be 10 track albums, there would be a big chance that a lot of great songs wouldn't be released.

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat May 4th, 2019, 16:00

Gone are the days when people listen to albums from start to end. There's just way more things to do than listen to a full album, and support the release of succeeding singles after the album is out. Only die-hard music fans do that and there aren't as much these days. Looks like the trend these days are three major singles per album if we look at the Drake and Ariana singles from last year.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat May 4th, 2019, 17:21

Quote Originally Posted by GetBack View Post
    Gone are the days when people listen to albums from start to end. There's just way more things to do than listen to a full album, and support the release of succeeding singles after the album is out. Only die-hard music fans do that and there aren't as much these days. Looks like the trend these days are three major singles per album if we look at the Drake and Ariana singles from last year.
    A lot of musicians in Croatia have been doing this for nearly a decade now. Especially pop ones. Album sales have always been low here and single market wasn't something that ever truly existed. So they just release singles to stay in the limelight, get YT views and radio support and make concerts. They release 8-9 singles in 2-3 years, then release album of those with some new songs that eventually become singles. I could see the global market eventually going this route. It will definitely maximize the impact of all songs instead of some falling into obscurity because people skip them when playing the album.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Mon May 6th, 2019, 23:34

Quote Originally Posted by ludichris View Post
    Let's see why releasing songs straight to streaming instead of digital/physical albums is popular and can be lucrative:

Spotify royalty rate per stream is reportedly $0.00437

'Hit' songs with 100 million streams can generate $437,000 from Spotify alone + royalties from other streaming services + radio royalties + TV/Film licencing = $$$$$$

I can record and release a professionally mastered song in a studio for as little as 350. It is profitable!
    I am absolutely sure I read an article where someone created an album of silence, setup a whole bunch of fake accounts and had bots streaming his album in order to make money.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue May 14th, 2019, 02:45

In 2005/2006, Britney Spears recorded a few songs with an overall darker sound for a then-upcoming album. One of them, 'Mona Lisa', would later become a popular theme for fanfiction due to the line 'She's been cloned'. I'm not trying to debate whether that line is fact or fiction, BUT it would be cool if an act actually put the effort into creating an era lyrically based on the idea of a popstar getting cloned, dropping hints in the music videos etc. and, therefore, leading to the fans passionately discuss whether the story's real or fake. At a time, when albums seem to lose relevance in modern music consumption, artists should really start making an event out of their albums by telling weird stories etc. As much as I love albums like Rihanna's 'Loud' or Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream', they are really just a collection of hit songs, and I believe that the format has much more to offer. In fact, I can only think of Marina & The Diamonds who really made an event out of the persona 'Electra Heart' by dedicading a whole album to her, showing her progression in the music videos, dressing like her and even announcing her death publicly. She's never really been a mainstream act, but wouldn't it be great if Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift or Lady Gaga released an album with the complexity of 'Electra Heart'? I'm sure that would boost the format's appeal a lot since you can't tell a story with many twists and subplots in 3 minutes 30 seconds.

Legend
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Sat May 25th, 2019, 12:53

Back in the day (ie, pre-digital) the money was made in album sales and concert revenue after that. Singles - although plenty of them sold a lot and made money - were always the trailers and a way to attract people to an album. It was a straight-forward process. It did mean though that if you liked two or three songs, you bought an album and there was a risk that you wouldn't like any other songs.

Now, the power is back in the hands of the consumer - you can decide which ones you like before committing to purchasing. The inevitable consequence is that albums are generally more disposable. Most artists don't make the effort to 'tell a story' or whatever. They need a collection of songs that will do the job IF the odd person decides to invest, but albums aren't where money is made. In fact, in a lot of cases, except for touring revenue, money is made from an artist brand and their outside-of-music endeavours.
    Heartbroken? Lovesick? Drunk?
    The video for my new single BOTTLE DOWN here!

♬ Once more, to the store, I'm a bottle down, again...