Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The 62nd Annual Grammy Awards (2020)

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

by » Tue October 1st, 2019, 16:42

Quote Originally Posted by abi View Post
    Random but I was just looking at the Hot 100 and Halsey's "Without Me" is still inside the top 40 in its 51st week. Whew, I didn't know Americans are still obsessed with that song.
    That's the Americans... They take ages to pick up a song and then they try to hold on to it as long as possible ;) .
    ~ representing the LBC ~

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

by » Wed October 2nd, 2019, 01:27

Quote Originally Posted by theMathematician View Post
    That's the Americans... They take ages to pick up a song and then they try to hold on to it as long as possible ;) .
    I think the old rules of the Billboard Hot 100 have conditions for charting a current hit before it falls out. Re-entries are not allowed then. Also, streaming points changed chart placements, making it easy for any popular song to enter the Hot 100.

Legend
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

by » Wed October 9th, 2019, 19:29

BILLBOARD: Last Year, the Oscars Revealed 'Shortlists' in 9 Categories: Here's Why the Grammys Should Follow Suit

The Oscars seem to understand that transparency is a virtue; that fans want to know how the process works & how the races are shaping up.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences made a bold move last December that the Recording Academy would be wise to emulate: They publicly announced "shortlists" in nine of their 24 categories.

On Dec. 17, 2018, the Oscars announced shortlists of between seven and 15 semifinalists in nine categories. They announced 15 semifinalists for original song, original score and documentary feature; 10 for documentary short subject, animated short film, live action short film and visual effects; nine for foreign language film; and seven for makeup & hairstyling.

They also revealed the number of submissions in seven of those categories. (They didn't reveal the number of entries for visual effects and makeup & hairstyling.)

Because the Oscars let film fans peek behind the curtain a bit, they were rewarded with stories in countless media outlets. This served to put the focus on Oscar more than a month before the nominations were announced on Jan. 22, 2019.

The Oscars seem to understand that transparency is a virtue; that fans want to know -- and have a right to know -- how the process works and how the races are shaping up.

The early release of information last year meant that, for example, the writers of 15 best song candidates got an early Christmas present, while the writers of the 75 other eligible songs were informed that this was not going to be their year. They got the bad news five weeks before Nominations Day, so they got their disappointment out of the way early.

The Grammys have tended to be more secretive over the years. Since 1995, the nominees in the Big Four categories (album, record and song of the year plus best new artist) have been determined by a Nominations Review Committee. This committee meets to select the finalists they deem most worthy from lists of the 20 entries in each of those categories that received the most support from rank-and-file voting members. (At least that's how the Recording Academy describes the process.)

The committee was put in place by the Academy's former President/CEO Mike Greene after there was criticism in the industry that the 1994 nominees were "out-of-touch" with the most vital currents in contemporary music. Tony Bennett's MTV Unplugged won album of the year, and The 3 Tenors in Concert 1994 was nominated, while such albums as Pearl Jam's Vs., Soundgarden's Superunknown, Green Day's Dookie, Hole's Live Through This, Boyz II Men's II and Vince Gill's When Love Finds You weren't nominated in that category.

Change was evident the very next year when the album of the year nominees included Pearl Jam's Vitalogy (Grammy voters had rarely embraced harder-edged rock) and Joan Osborne's Relish (a comparatively modest hit which had only reached No. 46 on the Billboard 200 by the end of 1995, when the committee met).

Neil Portnow, who succeeded Greene as president/CEO in 2002, kept the Nominations Review Committee in place throughout his 17-year tenure.

But the Recording Academy has never publicly revealed the recordings, songs and new artists that were on those "shortlists" that went to the Nominations Review Committee. Now that the Academy has new leadership, in the form of Deborah Dugan, its first female president/CEO, it should ask itself a simple question: "Why not?"

It's true that the nine categories in which the Oscars revealed the shortlists last year were, for the most part, secondary categories. They didn't reveal the shortlists in their Big Four categories: best picture, best actress, best actor and best director. But, after a successful launch, they may expand the number of categories in which they reveal their shortlists. And even if they don't, the Grammys can build on what the Oscars have done and take the idea even further.

I'm not the first Billboard writer to call for more transparency from the Grammys. Nearly five years ago, Jason Lipshutz, now Billboard's senior director, music, wrote: "Whereas Oscar season is defined by months of jockeying for nomination consideration, public and private arguments about what will and should win best picture, and months of multiplex visits to make sure that you, the dutiful viewer, have watched as many nominated films as possible, the Grammy Awards just… sort of… come and go.

"…There's a level of investment in the major Oscar categories that does not exist, and may never exist, with the top trophies at the Grammys….The Grammys could take a major cue from the Oscars and put more stock in the nomination process, so that we obsess over which songs and albums could make the respective shortlists months in advance of their unveiling, and what nominations mean for the legacy of those projects."

Additional questions Dugan might ask are: "What would be the harm in letting people know what was on the shortlists?" "We're proud of our process, our membership and our committees, so why not be more open about it?" and "The Oscars moved to transparency. Why are so we so secretive?"

Legend
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

by » Wed October 9th, 2019, 19:30

BILLBOARD: Last Year, the Oscars Revealed 'Shortlists' in 9 Categories: Here's Why the Grammys Should Follow Suit

The Oscars seem to understand that transparency is a virtue; that fans want to know how the process works & how the races are shaping up.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences made a bold move last December that the Recording Academy would be wise to emulate: They publicly announced "shortlists" in nine of their 24 categories.

On Dec. 17, 2018, the Oscars announced shortlists of between seven and 15 semifinalists in nine categories. They announced 15 semifinalists for original song, original score and documentary feature; 10 for documentary short subject, animated short film, live action short film and visual effects; nine for foreign language film; and seven for makeup & hairstyling.

They also revealed the number of submissions in seven of those categories. (They didn't reveal the number of entries for visual effects and makeup & hairstyling.)

Because the Oscars let film fans peek behind the curtain a bit, they were rewarded with stories in countless media outlets. This served to put the focus on Oscar more than a month before the nominations were announced on Jan. 22, 2019.

The Oscars seem to understand that transparency is a virtue; that fans want to know -- and have a right to know -- how the process works and how the races are shaping up.

The early release of information last year meant that, for example, the writers of 15 best song candidates got an early Christmas present, while the writers of the 75 other eligible songs were informed that this was not going to be their year. They got the bad news five weeks before Nominations Day, so they got their disappointment out of the way early.

The Grammys have tended to be more secretive over the years. Since 1995, the nominees in the Big Four categories (album, record and song of the year plus best new artist) have been determined by a Nominations Review Committee. This committee meets to select the finalists they deem most worthy from lists of the 20 entries in each of those categories that received the most support from rank-and-file voting members. (At least that's how the Recording Academy describes the process.)

The committee was put in place by the Academy's former President/CEO Mike Greene after there was criticism in the industry that the 1994 nominees were "out-of-touch" with the most vital currents in contemporary music. Tony Bennett's MTV Unplugged won album of the year, and The 3 Tenors in Concert 1994 was nominated, while such albums as Pearl Jam's Vs., Soundgarden's Superunknown, Green Day's Dookie, Hole's Live Through This, Boyz II Men's II and Vince Gill's When Love Finds You weren't nominated in that category.

Change was evident the very next year when the album of the year nominees included Pearl Jam's Vitalogy (Grammy voters had rarely embraced harder-edged rock) and Joan Osborne's Relish (a comparatively modest hit which had only reached No. 46 on the Billboard 200 by the end of 1995, when the committee met).

Neil Portnow, who succeeded Greene as president/CEO in 2002, kept the Nominations Review Committee in place throughout his 17-year tenure.

But the Recording Academy has never publicly revealed the recordings, songs and new artists that were on those "shortlists" that went to the Nominations Review Committee. Now that the Academy has new leadership, in the form of Deborah Dugan, its first female president/CEO, it should ask itself a simple question: "Why not?"

It's true that the nine categories in which the Oscars revealed the shortlists last year were, for the most part, secondary categories. They didn't reveal the shortlists in their Big Four categories: best picture, best actress, best actor and best director. But, after a successful launch, they may expand the number of categories in which they reveal their shortlists. And even if they don't, the Grammys can build on what the Oscars have done and take the idea even further.

I'm not the first Billboard writer to call for more transparency from the Grammys. Nearly five years ago, Jason Lipshutz, now Billboard's senior director, music, wrote: "Whereas Oscar season is defined by months of jockeying for nomination consideration, public and private arguments about what will and should win best picture, and months of multiplex visits to make sure that you, the dutiful viewer, have watched as many nominated films as possible, the Grammy Awards just… sort of… come and go.

"…There's a level of investment in the major Oscar categories that does not exist, and may never exist, with the top trophies at the Grammys….The Grammys could take a major cue from the Oscars and put more stock in the nomination process, so that we obsess over which songs and albums could make the respective shortlists months in advance of their unveiling, and what nominations mean for the legacy of those projects."

Additional questions Dugan might ask are: "What would be the harm in letting people know what was on the shortlists?" "We're proud of our process, our membership and our committees, so why not be more open about it?" and "The Oscars moved to transparency. Why are so we so secretive?"

Superstar
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)

by » Wed October 9th, 2019, 20:01

Oscars have been doing shortlists for a long long time. I don't know if they did more categories last year, but Foreign Movies, Docs, Shorts and Song categories have had shortlists for some time now.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Legend
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

by » Fri October 11th, 2019, 02:55

First Round Grammy Voting ends tonight!

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Wed November 13th, 2019, 16:47

1 week till nominations are announced.

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Thu November 14th, 2019, 04:50

As much as I love Alicia, she was boring as heck this year. Her flat delivery & expressions put me to sleep.

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Thu November 14th, 2019, 08:54

Yup, she's so boring, not funny, doesn't rlly have huge character...

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Sat November 16th, 2019, 10:30

So guys? Final predictions?

Ariana, Billie and Lizzo seem definites for AOTY. I think Taylor was able to have a good campaign the past few months so she probably secured a nom too.

I hope Tyler and B make it but I'm not so sure anymore.
    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Legend
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

by » Sat November 16th, 2019, 10:34

Billie, Lizzo will lead nominations then Ariana, Taylor, and 2-3 for Lewis Capaldi and Rosalia.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

by » Sat November 16th, 2019, 21:05

Alicia boring? k, next please...

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Superstar
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

by » Sat November 16th, 2019, 22:05

I want Lana and Taylor to score some nominations
    Haven't been early since '88

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 19:18

Is that Lewis Capaldi song that impactful? I mean, I know it's huge but idk, it just doesn't leave me that much of an impression, reminds me of that one Lucas Graham song.

My predictions:

Record of the Year
    1. "Truth Hurts" - Lizzo
    2. "Senorita" - Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello
    3. "Old Town Road" - Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus
    4. "Without Me" - Halsey
    5. "Trip" - Ella Mai
    Other candidates: "Someone You Loved", "Bad Guy", "7 Rings", "Talk", "No Guidance"

Song of the Year
    1. "Old Town Road" - Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus
    3. "Truth Hurts" - Lizzo
    4. "Sucker" - The Jonas Brothers
    5. "Talk" - Khalid OR "Sunflower" - Post Malone, Swae Lee
    Other candidates: "Bad Guy", "thank u, next", "Without Me", "Someone You Loved"

Album of the Year
    1. A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper
    2. Lovers - Taylor Swift
    3. thank u, next - Ariana Grande
    4. Homecoming: The Live Album - Beyoncé
    5. Western Stars - Bruce Springsteen

Best New Artist
    1. Lizzo
    2. Billie Eilish
    3. Rosalia
    4. Lil Nas X
    5. Lewis Capaldi
    6. Lauv
    7. Joji

Best Pop Vocal Album
    1. thank u, next - Ariana Grande
    2. Lover - Taylor Swift
    3. When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? - Billie Eilish
    4. Happiness Begins - The Jonas Brothers
    5. No.6 Collaborations Project - Ed Sheeran

Best Pop Solo Performance
    1. "Someone You Loved" - Lewis Capaldi
    2. "Truth Hurts" - Lizzo
    3. "Without Me" - Halsey
    4. "Always Remember Us This Way" - Lady Gaga
    5. "Bad Guy" - Billie Eilish

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance
    1. "Senorita" - Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello
    2. "Sunflower" - Post Malone, Swae Lee
    3. "Sucker" - The Jonas Brothers
    4. "Old Town Road" - Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus
    5. "Boy with Luv" - BTS, Halsey

Best Urban Contemporary
    1. Indigo - Chris Brown
    2. Cuz I Love You - Lizzo
    3. Free Spirit - Khalid
    4. When I Get Home - Solange
    5. Legacy! Legacy! - Jamila Woods

Best R&B Song
    1. "No Guidance" - Chris Brown, Drake
    2. "Trip" - Ella Mai
    3. "Brown Skin Girl" - Beyoncé, SAINt JHN, Wizkid, Blue Ivy Carter
    4. "Talk" - Khalid
    5. "Tints" - Anderson .Paak, Kendrick Lamar

Best R&B Performance
    1. "Trip" - Ella Mai
    2. "No Guidance" - Chris Brown, Drake
    3. "Before I Let Go" - Beyoncé
    4. "Could’ve Been" - H.E.R, Bryson Tiller
    5. "Raise A Man" - Alicia Keys

Best Rap/Sung Performance
    1. "Higher" - DJ Khaled, Nipsey Hussle, John Legend
    2. "Please Me" - Cardi B, Bruno Mars
    3. "Mood 4 Eva" - Beyoncé, JAY Z, Childish Gambino
    4. "Panini" - Lil Nas X
    5. "I Think" - Tyler, the Creator

Best Rap Performance
    1. "a lot" - 21 Savage, J. Cole
    2. "Middle Child" - J. Cole
    3. "Money" - Cardi B
    4. "Suge" - DaBaby
    5. "Homicide" - Logic, Eminem
    Last edited by abi; Tue November 19th, 2019 at 11:26.

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 19:28

Well, that was hard.

I have a feeling Billie & Ariana might be snubbed in major categories, and Beyonce will score lots of nominations in R&B & Rap but will win nothing.

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 19:28

Well, that was hard.

I have a feeling Billie & Ariana might be snubbed in major categories, and Beyonce will score lots of nominations in R&B & Rap but will win nothing. Also, although I didn't put "Say So" in any predictions I do hope it would sneak in in some categories cause I just want Jojo to succeed.
    Last edited by abi; Mon November 18th, 2019 at 19:30.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 21:18

Quote Originally Posted by abi View Post
    Is that Lewis Capaldi song that impactful? I mean, I know it's huge but idk, it just doesn't leave me that much of an impression, reminds me of that one Lucas Graham song.

My predictions:

Record of the Year
    1. "Truth Hurts" - Lizzo
    3. "Old Town Road" - Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus
    4. "Without Me" - Halsey
    5. "Trip" - Ella Mai
    Other candidates: "Someone You Loved", "Bad Guy", "7 Rings", "Talk", "No Guidance"

Song of the Year
    1. "Old Town Road" - Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus
    3. "Truth Hurts" - Lizzo
    4. "Sucker" - The Jonas Brothers
    5. "Talk" - Khalid OR "Sunflower" - Post Malone, Swae Lee
    Other candidates: "Bad Guy", "thank u, next", "Without Me", "Someone You Loved"

Album of the Year
    1. A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper
    2. Lovers - Taylor Swift
    3. thank u, next - Ariana Grande
    4. Homecoming: The Live Album - Beyoncé
    5. Western Stars - Bruce Springsteen

Best New Artist
    1. Lizzo
    2. Billie Eilish
    3. Rosalia
    4. Lil Nas X
    5. Lewis Capaldi
    6. Lauv
    7. Joji

Best Pop Vocal Album
    1. thank u, next - Ariana Grande
    2. Lover - Taylor Swift
    3. When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? - Billie Eilish
    4. Happiness Begins - The Jonas Brothers
    5. No.6 Collaborations Project - Ed Sheeran

Best Pop Solo Performance
    1. "Someone You Loved" - Lewis Capaldi
    2. "Truth Hurts" - Lizzo
    3. "Without Me" - Halsey
    4. "Always Remember Us This Way" - Lady Gaga
    5. "Bad Guy" - Billie Eilish

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance
    1. "Senorita" - Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello
    2. "Sunflower" - Post Malone, Swae Lee
    3. "Sucker" - The Jonas Brothers
    4. "Old Town Road" - Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus
    5. "Hurts 2B Human" - P!nk, Khalid

Best Urban Contemporary
    1. Indigo - Chris Brown
    2. Cuz I Love You - Lizzo
    3. Free Spirit - Khalid
    4. When I Get Home - Solange
    5. Legacy! Legacy! - Jamila Woods

Best R&B Song
    1. "No Guidance" - Chris Brown, Drake
    2. "Trip" - Ella Mai
    3. "Brown Skin Girl" - Beyoncé, SAINt JHN, Wizkid, Blue Ivy Carter
    4. "Talk" - Khalid
    5. "Tints" - Anderson .Paak, Kendrick Lamar

Best R&B Performance
    1. "Trip" - Ella Mai
    2. "No Guidance" - Chris Brown, Drake
    3. "Before I Let Go" - Beyoncé
    4. "Could’ve Been" - H.E.R, Bryson Tiller
    5. "Raise A Man" - Alicia Keys

Best Rap/Sung Performance
    1. "Higher" - DJ Khaled, Nipsey Hussle, John Legend
    2. "Please Me" - Cardi B, Bruno Mars
    3. "Mood 4 Eva" - Beyoncé, JAY Z, Childish Gambino
    4. "Panini" - Lil Nas X
    5. "I Think" - Tyler, the Creator

Best Rap Performance
    1. "a lot" - 21 Savage, J. Cole
    2. "Middle Child" - J. Cole
    3. "Money" - Cardi B
    4. "Suge" - DaBaby
    5. "Homicide" - Logic, Eminem
    Wow I couldn't help but notice "Trip" with a ROTY nomination? Literally never going to happen. PJ Morton/JoJo "Say So" will definitely get nominated for R&B Song and/or Performance.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Mon November 18th, 2019, 21:19

delete

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Tue November 19th, 2019, 03:43

Quote Originally Posted by MusicJunk90 View Post
    Wow I couldn't help but notice "Trip" with a ROTY nomination? Literally never going to happen.
    I knew somebody would pick up on that.

I noticed the GRAMMYs usually had one song in ROTY that is not commercially successful but quite well-known in its respective genre category. In 2019 they had "The Joke" (from Rock), in 2018 they had "The Story of O.J." (Rap), 2016 "Really Love" (R&B) and so on. So for this year, I was rooting for "Trip" to be that token song. "No Guidance" would've been my other choice since it's really huge among Urban listeners but Chris is quite polarizing as a public figure so I wasn't sure.

Legend
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

by » Tue November 19th, 2019, 16:24

Grammy website updated artists nomination totals and based on that update, these artists got these nods:

From ATRL:

8 – Lizzo
    6 – Billie Eilish
    6 – Lil Nas X
    5 – Ariana Grande
    4 – Beyonce
    3 – Taylor Swift
    3 – Lady Gaga
    3 – Billy Ray Cyrus
    2 – Dolly Parton
    2 – Post Malone
    2 – Cardi B
    2 – Ed Sheeran
    2 – Rosalia
    2 – Lana Del Rey
    2 – Jonas Brothers
    2 – Victoria Monet
    2 – Bad Bunny
    2 – Drake
    2 – DaBaby
    2 – Camila Cabello
    1 – Shawn Mendes
    1 – Maggie Rogers
    1 – Lewis Capaldi
    1 – Tove Lo
    1 – Tyler, the Creator
    1 – Social House
    1 – Chris Brown
    1 – Justin Bieber
    1 – fka twigs
    0 – Solange

Not sure if it was a glitch or not, but we will see tomorrow.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Tue November 19th, 2019, 18:06

All the news coverage for "Truth Hurts" breaking that record for longest rap female #1 on Billboard, and then the other day she was collecting Soul Train Awards for the same album, and here at the Grammy's it's submitted in Pop & Urban.

I could see Lizzo scoring big with her album appealing to different genres. There was so much talk and news coverage for "Truth Hurts" achieving that record + Lizzo's rants stating she IS a rapper, I'm surprised she wasn't submitted to a single rap category. Nothing to lose by submitting I thought regardless of whether she were to get nominated or not. Or is there some type of rule in place to prevent over submitting to different genres?

Legend
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

by » Tue November 19th, 2019, 18:08

1 nomination for Lewis Capaldi is interesting. BNA or SOTY?

Legend
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)

by » Tue November 19th, 2019, 18:11

Lizzo is not a rapper, she’s basically a more ratchet Kitty Purry
    Quote Originally Posted by aRatchet View Post
    Tbh black people should invent another music genre because whites have taken over rap/hip hop and have completely ruined it in the process (just like they did with country and rock).

Superstar
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

by » Tue November 19th, 2019, 18:48

I hate it already

Legend
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

by » Tue November 19th, 2019, 18:59

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoney View Post
    Lizzo is not a rapper, she’s basically a more ratchet Kitty Purry
    Im honestly surprised she is considered a rapper. Though, tbh, I am unfamiliar with much of her work