Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: The 62nd Annual Grammy Awards (2020)

Legend
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)

by » Thu November 21st, 2019, 22:52

Quote Originally Posted by dylonj View Post
    ^^^ Gotcha! It just occured to me that Lizzo is always referred to as a "rapper" but she has NO nominations in the rap categories...things that make you go hmm.
    The committee’s only logical point of the year

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

by » Thu November 21st, 2019, 23:29

Madonna with Madame X deserved nominations for the music videos it delivered, at least, better than most of the nominations.

Billie Eilish deserves to win most of the categories she's in tbh.
    Blue hydrangea, cold cash divine. Cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.
    Red racing cars, sunset and vine. And we were young and pretty.

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 03:04

Quote Originally Posted by dylonj View Post
    ^^^ Gotcha! It just occured to me that Lizzo is always referred to as a "rapper" but she has NO nominations in the rap categories...things that make you go hmm.
    The "Rap" categories at the GRAMMYs are the equivalent of the genre "Hip-Hop" (think of songs that get played on Urban stations) - which Lizzo isn't (unlike Billboard's definition where 'rap' is basically anything that involves fast-talking/singing). It's the same case with acts like PSY or Flo Rida, yes they're rappers - but they're not Hip-Hop.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 03:18

Quote Originally Posted by DevilPray View Post
    Madonna with Madame X deserved nominations for the music videos it delivered, at least, better than most of the nominations.

Billie Eilish deserves to win most of the categories she's in tbh.
    Yes, Madonnas visuals were amazing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 04:02

But Madonna only submitted the Medellín MV for Grammy consideration.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 15:30

I'm beating a dead horse but it irks me whenever I hear Lizzo being called a rapper.

Legend
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 15:33

Did she ever claim to be a rapper though?
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 15:33

Quote Originally Posted by babyshower View Post
    But Madonna only submitted the Medellín MV for Grammy consideration.
    oh ok.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 15:34

Quote Originally Posted by DnBLover View Post
    Did she ever claim to be a rapper though?
    He never said that SHE claimed it. But she is being called a rapper in many quarters.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 15:37

Quote Originally Posted by InFamous View Post
    He never said that SHE claimed it. But she is being called a rapper in many quarters.
    She actually had a Twitter rant a few months ago about being bothered why she isn't viewed as a rapper while Swae Lee (and somebody else, forgot who) is, as she thinks they have similar rap style to her. That didn't go over well with the fans and she deleted those tweets.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 15:42

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    She actually had a Twitter rant a few months ago about being bothered why she isn't viewed as a rapper while Swae Lee (and somebody else, forgot who) is, as she thinks they have similar rap style to her. That didn't go over well with the fans and she deleted those tweets.
    So she did indeed claim to be a rapper. Tell him not me, i don't follow her.

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 15:55

I personally view Lizzo as a singer who occasionally raps - in the same vein as Fergie, etc. rather than the opposite.

Legend
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 19:05

Beyoncé actually deserved the nomination for The Gift. It's a great album, but it lacks the mass appeal. If Billie doesn't sweep, there's a chance that she can still win this since EVERYTHING IS LOVE won last year when it was not an outstanding album. As for "Spirit", there are a lot more songs deserving for Pop Solo. The Grammys know that Beyoncé fans are the biggest Grammy obsessed fan group, and the Lion King movie was a huge hit, so she's still relevant as much as The Gift was a non-event. It will take a Witness/ARTPOP mess to bring down Beyoncé.

I'm surprised Ariana did not get a backlash after her performance drama with the Grammys early this year. However, there's a big chance that she doesn't win this time.I don't see her winning. I wonder if she will perform this time around. I'm surprised that "Boyfriend" which is one of weakest songs easily landed a nod while "thank u, next" doesn't get a single nod.

Lizzo is the most overrated one this year. I can't believe the Grammys are really changing their rules just to accommodate her. I don't understand why people hate on H.E.R. just because she's less mainstream and lacks pop star personality when Lizzo just prances around and makes terrible performances. She's pretty much a meme, and her live performances lean towards highlighting her plus size more than anything else. There's nothing empowering about her gimmick. I cannot wait for her to fade into obscurity.

The Mariah snub was expected. Caution was nice, but the problem with her is that she always delivers the same kind of plastic pop/R&B album. I know that people will say that she is the most exciting R&B female artists among the vets, but she needs to take her grown fanbase with her. She is suffering the same fate as Madonna, they are pretty much in mid-life crisis mode with the kind of albums they have released in the past decade. Not to mention, Mariah will most likely have a terrible performance (I'm sad to say) so she has nothing to offer in terms of ratings or acclaim for the show.

Unfortunately, this show has lost appeal. I think the artists today don't need the validation of the music industry as much since social media and streaming has made the platform to success on equal footing for artists.

Legend
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

by » Fri November 22nd, 2019, 23:34

Quote Originally Posted by beredy View Post
    Swae Lee actually raps. Lizzo... Well, I'm not so sure. But rapping does not make you a rapper.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 00:20

Quote Originally Posted by abi View Post
    I personally view Lizzo as a singer who occasionally raps - in the same vein as Fergie, etc. rather than the opposite.
    This.

To me its like saying Beyonce or Mariah are rappers - though to be fair both got barz!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 16:07

Quote Originally Posted by UndercovaSista View Post
    The Blue-Ribbon committee selects the 8 nominees of the General Field categories, beetween the 20 most voted submitted works. They don't decide other categories. Now, it should be noted that some categories have specific committees, like R&B and Rap.

On the other hand, Pop doesn't, so if one album or song was nominated, it was for being the most voted.
    This was the first year Pop had a committee

"Additionally, there will be separate screening committees for Pop and Rock, whereas previously these categories were screened by a Core Committee. This leaves the Core Committee to focus on the more difficult decisions such as determining who is eligible for the Best New Artist category and trying to find the best home for borderline genre entries."
    Last edited by frrr; Sat November 23rd, 2019 at 16:16.
    As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 16:18

Where are you getting this info from? Because I remember people discussing it a couple of months ago and turned out it was just a confusion made between a nominee panel & a category placement panel.

If there was a committee, I seriously doubt they would have passed on Kelly Clarkson.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 16:31

Quote Originally Posted by UndercovaSista View Post
    If there was a committee, I seriously doubt they would have passed on Kelly Clarkson.
    What did she release even?
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 16:38

She released a flop song that didn't chart anywhere, but they have a hard on for her, so...

Anyway, if there was a pop committee, we whould have seen less mainstream albums and songs being nominated, and more stuff like NFR!, which was nominated for the general field. Lana missed pop nominations because she didn't get enough votes from Grammy members, the Lorde of the year.

Edit: it charted in NZ, just checked Wikipedia. Sorry
    Last edited by UndercovaSista; Sat November 23rd, 2019 at 16:42.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 16:39

double post

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 16:45

Separate Screening Committees Added for Pop and Rock

The Academy will add separate screening committees in the pop and rock fields, bringing the number of screening committees to 20. Previously, pop and rock entries were screened by the large "Core Committee," which meets each fall for a two-day session. With the addition of pop and rock committees, the Core Committee will become a smaller, one-day event. It will remain focused on determining eligibility for best new artist (traditionally the hardest category to define) and on resolving conflicts from other screening committees, such as trying to find the best home for borderline entries that fall between genres.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...in-most-grammy
    As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 16:45

I have no doubts Billie Eilish will sweep everything. If the album wins Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical she will sweep every nom she has. It has been this way for the past few years.
    Last edited by frrr; Sat November 23rd, 2019 at 16:49.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 16:51

Quote Originally Posted by frrr View Post
    Separate Screening Committees Added for Pop and Rock

The Academy will add separate screening committees in the pop and rock fields, bringing the number of screening committees to 20. Previously, pop and rock entries were screened by the large "Core Committee," which meets each fall for a two-day session. With the addition of pop and rock committees, the Core Committee will become a smaller, one-day event. It will remain focused on determining eligibility for best new artist (traditionally the hardest category to define) and on resolving conflicts from other screening committees, such as trying to find the best home for borderline entries that fall between genres.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...in-most-grammy
    Thanks. But that's what I said then. This new committee is for screening purposes, which means they exist to decide in which category an album can compete. They don't decide which albums are nominated.

Side note: quoting on this forum is so messy

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 17:06

No committee decides that. Pop categories were getting messy with six nominations that included live performances, eps by Coldplay thus the reason why creating such a committee. An academy member can vote in the genre of their committee and other categories if they are willing to do so, there is a limited number of categories you can vote but I can't remember the number.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Sat November 23rd, 2019, 17:17

Well, I'm pretty sure of what I said, but I respect if you disagree.